PDA

View Full Version : Too Many White Male Protagonists In Video Games

CelticViking
03-18-2012, 10:42 AM
In the past I've argued that that we could use more diversity in games. We have a truly shocking, perhaps even an embarrassing number of white male protagonists in this hobby. I'm sure most of us have seen that one image floating around the internet, showing a grid of pasty, unshaven protagonists from the last few years. Note how this is a list of white guys with short brown hair and stubble. If we open it up to other hair colors the list gets bigger, and if we include the long-haired guys then we end up with an army of thirty-something white dudes.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/9489-The-Racism-Blame-Game

brunette
03-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I think that guy from Hitman is a perfect model for a ''action hero'' type White guy.

Osprey
03-18-2012, 11:13 AM
i think Max Payne will appeal more, especially to the ladies.

Flintlocke
03-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Nigga don't need no pc video game and that crackah sheet. Niggaz bust a cap everyday down on the streets, keepin' it real!

zack
03-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Nigga don't need no pc video game and that crackah sheet. Niggaz bust a cap everyday down on the streets, keepin' it real!

I'm getting turned off of games because of the obvious liberal slant most nerds and gamers have.

This obsession with 'diversity' is stupid and makes me even wonder if whites/Europeans deserve to survive. How can a culture look forward to its demise in every way shape and form?

Rastko
03-18-2012, 11:58 AM
CJ from San Andreas GTA is the hardest motherfucker eva'.

Osprey
03-18-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm getting turned off of games because of the obvious liberal slant most nerds and gamers have.

This obsession with 'diversity' is stupid and makes me even wonder if whites/Europeans deserve to survive. How can a culture look forward to its demise in every way shape and form?

Trouble is, white men don't imitate what they see in games. If every white guy became a Max Payne, or Hitman or Hawke or Captain Shepherd, then white girls will be attracted to them like flies to honey.

Pyramidologist
03-18-2012, 01:28 PM
I can't relate to black protaganists, they are a major turn off. Can anyone imagine if Lara Croft was a negress? It would never have worked or have been successful. It's the simple fact that black people don't look attractive, people aren't going to want a character running around with a hideous afro, and they have a different culture/attitude which isn't appropiate for games.

Hevneren
03-18-2012, 02:14 PM
The problem isn't their skin colour, it's who they are as characters. Some white male video game characters end up becoming a sort of parody of themselves. It's the same raspy whiskey voice, the same stubble and the same "badass" lines. It's primarily an issue in FPS (first person shooter) games.

Someone mentioned Max Payne. In the two first games he was a depressed, dark film noir hero, but in Max Payne 3 it looks like they've turned him into another Bruce Willis "Die Hard" clone. Boring...

omQ-7wZTXvI

Flintlocke
03-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Trouble is, white men don't imitate what they see in games. If every white guy became a Max Payne, or Hitman or Hawke or Captain Shepherd, then white girls will be attracted to them like flies to honey.

Or be all in jail or kill eachother :P

Bakura
03-18-2012, 02:20 PM

He's gay.

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Not true.

G8X8MGbT8bI

Rochefaton
03-18-2012, 03:07 PM
It is called marketing.

Which demographic group has the desire and purchasing power to consume the most video games in the Western world? White males age 18-35 mostly. So, if you were going to design a protagonist that the average Western gamer could relate to, what would that protagonist look like?

If you are trying to maximize profits and gain the interest of the demographic group with the greatest ability and likelihood to purchase your product, you would be wise to choose a white male as your protagonist.

Even the Japanese realize this and either use white males as protagonists or either make the protagonist a blend of East Asian and Europoid features.

derLowe
03-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Random post.

Skyrim Belongs to the Nords! :D

uwUwiHnhjVc

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 04:56 PM
^
Lol. My first character for Morrowind was a Redguard named Leroy.

derLowe
03-18-2012, 04:59 PM
^
Lol. My first character for Morrowind was a Redguard named Leroy.

Lol, mine was a Highelf wizard. :D

Supreme American
03-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Racial bean counters have no concept of marketing. They market to the audience most likely to buy the product. You don't put up billboards advertising Rolexes in poor neighborhoods.

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Lol, mine was a Highelf wizard. :D

I had fun with that game and making silly characters. I had an orc named Rastus who always got busted by the guards for nig-like behavior (looting, randomly murdering people while intoxicated), Big Bad Nord, but my favorite character was always to play some kind of Imperial when I was in a serious mood. :)

Susi
03-18-2012, 05:11 PM
I wish there were more lady-protagonists.

Supreme American
03-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I wish there were more lady-protagonists.

Women don't play video games nearly as much as males do.

derLowe
03-18-2012, 05:20 PM
I had fun with that game and making silly characters. I had an orc named Rastus who always got busted by the guards for nig-like behavior (looting, randomly murdering people while intoxicated), Big Bad Nord, but my favorite character was always to play some kind of Imperial when I was in a serious mood. :)

I am currently playing a bad Nord, I had a quests from the Dark brother hood that left half of Solitude dead and the other half paralyzed. :D

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 05:21 PM
I am currently playing a bad Nord, I had a quests from the Dark brother hood that left half of Solitude dead and the other half paralyzed. :D

I played a little bit of ES 4 but just enough to learn it was basically like Morrowind. :)

derLowe
03-18-2012, 05:26 PM
I played a little bit of ES 4 but just enough to learn it was basically like Morrowind. :)

Morrowind was more in depth, IMHO. This game at times feel a bit dumbed down at times. Plus I miss my flying pants from Morrowind. :D

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Morrowind was more in depth, IMHO. This game at times feel a bit dumbed down at times. Plus I miss my flying pants from Morrowind. :D

Flying pants? :eek: I must've missed that one.

derLowe
03-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Flying pants? :eek: I must've missed that one.

:O How could you miss that?

I also made in that game a shield of poison bloom and sword of thunder storm, I obliterated the entire capital with those 2 and the flying pants.

Another favorite tactic of mine was to get infected by vampirism then find the robe of regeneration that way I could go out into day light and not loose health.

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 05:46 PM
:O How could you miss that?

I also made in that game a shield of poison bloom and sword of thunder storm, I obliterated the entire capital with those 2 and the flying pants.

Another favorite tactic of mine was to get infected by vampirism then find the robe of regeneration that way I could go out into day light and not loose health.

Maybe I preferred to smash things with an enchanted daedric dai-katana? :embarrassed

derLowe
03-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Maybe I preferred to smash things with an enchanted daedric dai-katana? :embarrassed

Ahhh well, that is a good plan too. :thumb001:

I tend to go overboard in these games causing a apocalypse. :D

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Ahhh well, that is a good plan too. :thumb001:

I tend to go overboard in these games causing a apocalypse. :D

I once started a mission to kill every living soul in Morrowind. I cleaned out several towns and then got bored. :embarrassed

Riki
03-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Next Game that's going to fill the pleasures of thousands of Black gamers.
Out by next month full of Negro's as Protagonists.It will be called:
How to claim benefits and destroy Society

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Next Game that's going to fill the pleasures of thousands of Black gamers.
Out by next month full of Negro's as Protagonists.It will be called:
How to claim benefits and destroy Society

Someone needs to make a video game version of:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/tori_deathangel/4%20Sale/DSCF0695.jpg

Supreme American
03-18-2012, 06:07 PM

I really wish I could have bought that before it was taken off the market.

SilverKnight
03-18-2012, 06:09 PM
wtf.

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 06:10 PM
I really wish I could have bought that before it was taken off the market.

The nigs weren't really as mad as the white leftards. :tongue

Supreme American
03-18-2012, 06:11 PM
The nigs weren't really as mad as the white leftards. :tongue

I know. I recall blacks buying it droves. They loved the shit. The white libs correctly see it as inegalitarian so they blew their collective corks.

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 06:18 PM
I know. I recall blacks buying it droves. They loved the shit. The white libs correctly see it as inegalitarian so they blew their collective corks.

There was a nig I worked with at the time who was going on about it. :D They weren't complaining as it was correctly marketed to them as a sort of spoof of ghetto culture, the sort of stuff they themselves engage in with their awful comedy movies and the like.

Pallantides
03-18-2012, 06:19 PM
I like to play as fictional races when it's possible, but when it's not I prefer my character to be a white male.

If they make any future games set in the Mass Effect universe, I hope they give us the option to play as a Turian or a Drell.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OxkMrml81n0/TPqbKg7t2ZI/AAAAAAAAAEA/t9k5JvjxXV4/s1600/Thane+and+Garrus.jpg

Supreme American
03-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Funny how these outraged liberals never complain when something is marketed at non-whites.

Teyrn
03-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Funny how these outraged liberals never complain when something is marketed at non-whites.

Why not a Liberalopoly, the game of the welfare state? :D

la bombe
03-18-2012, 06:31 PM
The real problem is that too many white men are playing videogames. It amazes me how people can care so much about a stupid video game *cough*Skyrim*cough* while ignoring everything that happens in the REAL world around them.

Supreme American
03-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Why not a Liberalopoly, the game of the welfare state? :D

NICE... Lots of section 8 housing and on the other far end, gated white liberal enclaves!

derLowe
03-18-2012, 06:46 PM
The real problem is that too many white men are playing videogames. It amazes me how people can care so much about a stupid video game *cough*Skyrim*cough* while ignoring everything that happens in the REAL world around them.

You should hang out with fewer gamers.

PeacefulCaribbeanDutch
03-18-2012, 06:50 PM
http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/5/5b/Ff7ac-cloud-render.jpg

classify

derLowe
03-18-2012, 06:52 PM
http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/5/5b/Ff7ac-cloud-render.jpg

classify

Metro.

la bombe
03-19-2012, 12:32 AM
You should hang out with fewer gamers.

I try not to, but unfortunately it seems like half the people my age are gamers.

Susi
03-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Women don't play video games nearly as much as males do.

I guess... but it would be nice. Many acclaimed games had female protagonists. :)

I like to play as fictional races when it's possible, but when it's not I prefer my character to be a white male.

If they make any future games set in the Mass Effect universe, I hope they give us the option to play as a Turian or a Drell.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OxkMrml81n0/TPqbKg7t2ZI/AAAAAAAAAEA/t9k5JvjxXV4/s1600/Thane+and+Garrus.jpg

Garrus <3 <3 <3 <3 He was my romance option :D I would love to play as a turian :) They are cool :)

Metro.

FAaaaaaaabulousid

Pallantides
03-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Garrus <3 <3 <3 <3 He was my romance option :D I would love to play as a turian :) They are cool :)

bl6HxU8MPac

Leliana
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
^
lol. My first character for morrowind was a redguard named leroy.
Leeeeeeroooooy Jeeeeeenkins! :D

Most games have options for female players like me, and it's possible to create a female character. :)

derLowe
03-19-2012, 04:29 PM
I try not to, but unfortunately it seems like half the people my age are gamers.

Same here, most of my friends are playing computer games more then doing any thing else.

I have noticed that the few friends I have on farms are not so computer game obsessed if at all.

Balmung
03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
I always lol @ the "Too many white protagonist in games". These games mostly come from the western world. The fact that people believe Caucasians HAVE to make their protagonist non white is unbelievable and forced multicultural bullshit. If they want more non white protagonist what they should do is get off their ass and start funding their own nations and have more non white developers thriving. Really the only non white nation who has been a major force in gaming is Japan. Why should mostly white countries have to make non white characters? doesn't make sense.

As for the Japanese, i think they just developed a style they originaly took from early American cartoons and made it their own. Their characters normaly look like "Hybrids" more than they do White or Asian.

The guy in this game is supposed to be from Sweden
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/5093523/480/Bloody-Roar/Xion-Human.jpg

He looks like no Asian or White ive ever seen.

Edelmann
03-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Metro.

Metroid? :D

Hevneren
03-19-2012, 04:59 PM

Well, there's GTA: San Andreas:
R6eCIzxNn4Q

Hevneren
03-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Leeeeeeroooooy Jeeeeeenkins! :D

Most games have options for female players like me, and it's possible to create a female character. :)

Dragon Age: Origins had that, as well as different species. I still played as a human male though. :D

zack
03-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Games that use non-white leads are rare. Only few games can pull it off.

One such game that comes to my mind is Prey. It had a Native American lead named Tommy. He had to fight aliens and used his Amerindian spirit powers of his ancestors.

http://www.gamewallpapers.us/wallpapers/prey/tommy.jpg

The game's story is focused on Cherokee Domasi "Tommy" Tawodi as he, his girlfriend, and grandfather are abducted aboard an alien spaceship known as The Sphere as it consumes material, both inanimate and living, from Earth in order to sustain itself. Tommy's Cherokee past allows him to let his spirit roam freely at times, and gives Tommy an edge in his attempt to stop the Sphere.

Prey has a respective average of 83 and 79 on the PC and Xbox 360.[26] Prey was highly praised for its graphics and gameplay. Gamezone called the graphics "top notch",[27] while Play Magazine called them "incredible".[28] GamerFeed lauded the gameplay of Prey, calling it "nothing short of amazing", and concluding that "Prey has got everything anyone could want from a sci-fi shooter and more".[28] However, there was criticism directed at the multiplayer component, especially the fact that it only had two game modes. GamesRadar said that the multiplayer "could have been much better if only there were more than two modes [and] a couple of maps small enough to play with less than five players".[29]
In October 2006, 3D Realms CEO Scott Miller announced that the game is a commercial success on both PC and Xbox 360 with combined 1 million copies sold worldwide to date.

Pallantides
03-19-2012, 05:20 PM
The guy in this game is supposed to be from Sweden
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/5093523/480/Bloody-Roar/Xion-Human.jpg

He looks like no Asian or White ive ever seen.

I have seen a few people with that look... :D

Balmung
03-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Jack is hot.

But Liara & Samara, forever :P

Pallantides
03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Jack is hot.

But Liara & Samara, forever :P

I like Samara, but she is unoptainable:(
wouAuL0NarQ

Riki
03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
If you're a game designer and want to include negros as characters.
It will not be easy.
Why?You may ask.
Well, only one is the original the rest are all copy's of each other.:D

Pallantides
03-19-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/brown_hair.jpg

Balmung
03-20-2012, 01:30 AM
The original Cole McGrath always looked like a middle aged redneck/pedophile too me, lol. Atleast in Infamous 2 they got better with character modeling i guess. Drake is late mid 20's i think.

Anyway Mass Effect 3 was a great game, its just too bad it had one of the worst endings of all time!

Pallantides
03-20-2012, 01:31 AM
Anyway Mass Effect 3 was a great game, its just too bad it had one of the worst endings of all time!

So true, I hate the ending.

Balmung
03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
And it had a great build up, only to completely drop the ball. Now that i'm hearing Bioware actualy dug the ending i am convinced they were all high writing it, lol.

EuroAmericanProud
05-03-2012, 02:54 AM
Our only crime is being beautiful..

cossackpride
05-04-2012, 07:11 AM
If you consider MMORPG / Elder Scroll Games, it seems like a wide segment of men enjoy playing as a female. I saw this too with Mass Effect too.

Therefore, it seems quite plausible that a lot of female gamers probably get a kick out of playing a physique and ripped male.