PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Inese
11-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Hello forum!

my name is Inese and I´m new here.

Let me introduce myself a little bit, okay? I´m 17 years old and I´m residing in Germany. We moved here some years ago. I have Latvian and German ancestry. One grandfather was a German soldier in World War 2, he came to Latvia during war. There he met my grandmother! They engaged and planed to marry, but then my grandfather had to leave with his army instantly because the Russians came to annectate Latvia for decades! Some years after the war he came back from Germany to Latvia to marry my grandmother, he promised that before he left. Both were happy, and they founded a family in Kurzeme (German: Kurland), that´s a region in Latvia. Maybe you have heard something of Kurland before? There are many forests, wonderful lakes and the baltic sea is near, too.
My family lived there until some years ago, then we decided to move to the homecountry of my grandfather - Germany. We are happy here but I miss my old home a little bit. But Germany is also wonderful and more rich. I don´t feel like a foreigner and people don´t see me like one, too. My verbal language could be better but I learn and learn to know everything!

I´m politically interested and, because of my family, of mixed ethnicy. I´m Germanic and Baltic. I favor right parties and have sympathy for parties like bnp, fpö, flams belang and so much else! :) My whole family is right orientated and my father is an active politican in the communal fraction.

I hope it is no problem that my English is not that good, but you can talk to me in German if you want, too. I can speak German, Latvian and English! I try to get better with age. :embarrassed

Latvia has a rich history and much historic relationships with Germany. Many Latvian cities have German names or were founded by German orders in medival ages. For example the capital city, Riga, was founded by the Teutonic order. The same goes for Ventspils (German: Windau) and Kuldiga (German: Goldingen).

If you want to know more you can ask!

Bye and thank you for reading :wavey001:

Inese

Vulpix
11-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi and a warm welcome to the Apricity Inese :thumbs up!!

Thank you for the nice introduction :).

Hope you like it here :p!

Loki
11-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Inese! :)

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy this forum. I'm looking forward to hear more about your experience in Latvia, and about your culture. :thumbs up

I've always wanted to see Riga, maybe I can one day. After all it's not too far away ... and indeed has a great history. Teutonic Knights, Hanseatic League, etc.

Stormraaf
11-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Welcome Inese :wave

Aragorn
11-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Welcome onboard and enjoy your time :)

Lenny
11-23-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm surprised that the Soviet Union allowed a westerner (and an ex-Wehrmacht solider at that) into Latvia to get married back then...:cool:

Many Latvians ended up in the USA after the disastrous conclusion of WWII. The Lutheran churches here took-in tens of thousands of displaced persons originally from Latvia (and hundreds of thousands of Protestant/Lutherans from all over Europe) during 1945-1949. My grandfather's church asked for volunteers to host one of them back then, and he agreed. How could anyone not agree to help mitigate the disaster that was befalling the Germanic-Protestant Europe at the time...with thousands literally starving to death weekly in occupied-Germany. The Latvian woman who he hosted had fled to Germany in late 1944 and lived there as a Displaced Person for years. Her husband was in one of the Latvian Wehrmacht units and was killed in the field during the frantic defense of the Baltic line in mid-1944. Anyway when she arrived she spoke no English, and so had to converse with my grandfather in German (he was fluent in German). She lived with them for a year or so while my mother was a small girl, (she learned English by borrowing the same kindergarten schoolbooks that my mother was using at the time) and remained friends with the family the rest of her life. To this day my mother remembers some Latvian recipes from that time.

Inese
11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Thank you for the friendly welcome! :) I hope I can share many interesting things with you, and I hope to learn much, too.

Lenny, my grandfather said it was no big problem because he lived in East Germany the first few years after the war, this was a satellite state of the Sovjetunion. And Latvia itself was a part of the Sovjetunion. He opposed not actively against the regime so he was allowed to travel within the Warsaw Pact countries like many other people. It was forbidden to enter Western territory, so many people went to vacations to the East-Sea or Bulgaria and Jugoslawia.

I know that many Latvians seeked shelter in the USA after the war but I don´t know if they are organisized as a minority group there like the Germans or Norwegians. Wonderful to hear that your grandfather has made friends with the Latvian women. Do you like the Latvian recipes? :) We have a rustical kitchen with fish, potatoes, meat and cheese. I love to make Pirazinji!

Groenewolf
11-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Welcome aboard.

Arrow Cross
11-23-2008, 12:39 PM
A touching story...I know exactly how it went in those times. It's good to read a drop of happyness in that sea of tragedy that was the end of World War II.

Welcome, and do stay along.

Alison
11-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Welcome Inese! :)

Johnny Bravo
11-24-2008, 11:45 AM
What up.

Saksenland
11-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome Inese :)

Beautiful name

Inese
11-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Glad that you like it, it´s my real one, too! :)

DarkZarathustra
11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Hallo and welcome!

Smaland
07-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Good to see you again, Inese! :)

GeistFaust
07-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Hello There Wilkommen!

Groenewolf
07-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Es ist gut Sie wieder zu sehen.

http://site.docbevo.com/images/tulips7_udqv.jpg

Libertas
07-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Welcome, Inese.

Arne
07-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Glad that you like it, it´s my real one, too! :)

Wo warst du so lange ?
Ich hab auf deine Rückkehr gewartet, unzählige Monate in Dunkelheit bis du uns wieder die Helligkeit brachtest.
Möge die Macht mit dir sein.

Mordid
07-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Hej and welcome to the forum. :)

Tolleson
07-19-2011, 05:06 PM
I hope all is well. :nod:

Inese
07-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Thank you all!:embarrassed But bumping the old thread was maybe not the best idea because I dont know if I stay --- you know, I wanted to look what the forum has become after the many many months and I see that I know not many people from old ages. But I will look and see and then decide. I had no easy time , far from it, but I came out stronger and I used time to excersice and learn more.

Sahson
07-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Hej Inese, it's good to have you back.

The Lawspeaker
07-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Welkom thuis :)

Peerkons
07-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Thank you all!:embarrassed But bumping the old thread was maybe not the best idea because I dont know if I stay --- you know, I wanted to look what the forum has become after the many many months and I see that I know not many people from old ages. But I will look and see and then decide. I had no easy time , far from it, but I came out stronger and I used time to excersice and learn more.

It has not become better.
Too much Albanians and Slavs spoiling everything.

Murphy
07-19-2011, 07:12 PM
I hope you've grown up.

Absinthe
07-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Ka tev iet? :)

Allenson
07-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Welcome back! :)