PDA

View Full Version : Age irrelevant, says mum-to-be, 66

Skandi
05-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Well I don't think age is irrelevant, assuming that she delivers a healthy baby with no complications, that child will likely lose it's mother by the time it is 10. Who will look after it then? The state? Would you want that for your child, creeps and I think my clock is ticking?

A 66-year-old businesswoman set to become Britain's oldest mother has shrugged off controversy over her pregnancy.

Elizabeth Adeney, of Lidgate, Suffolk - who is eight months pregnant - told the Sunday Mirror: "It doesn't interest me that I'm going to be the oldest mum in the country

more (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090517/tuk-age-irrelevant-says-mum-to-be66-6323e80.html)

Vargtand
05-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Can't say I am in favour of seeing children conceived by artificial means in general terms.. but speaking about old parents, with the exception of my father, every man has been around 50 when the sons I descend from were born. this back to the mid 1700 and to be honest it did not turn out to bad now did it? We survived after all.

Skandi
05-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Can't say I am in favour of seeing children conceived by artificial means in general terms.. but speaking about old parents, with the exception of my father, every man has been around 50 when the sons I descend from were born. this back to the mid 1700 and to be honest it did not turn out to bad now did it? We survived after all.
I'm not doubting that the child will survive, but it is very different having an older father and a mother, at a young age the mother is much more important in a childs life

Vargtand
05-17-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm not doubting that the child will survive, but it is very different having an older father and a mother, at a young age the mother is much more important in a childs life

I never said it was the same. Though now you are arguing about the young age which in all likeliness the child would experience with its mother. so that is necessarily not a problem then. I say if it works it works then let them, if medicinal procedures are required then I would never be in favour of it.

Treffie
05-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Personally, I think it's quite a selfish thing to do, especially as she's obviously risking the life of the child. I wonder what the chances are of her going full-term?

Tabiti
05-17-2009, 04:22 PM
The female body is created to have children physically until 40-50, however giving birth after 35 is often problemous and the risks of Dawn syndrome are increased. I see any exeption from our normal biological clock as unhealthy, pathological and unnatural.

A 66-year-old businesswoman
Seems, the case here is the lady was too much obsessed with her job and forgot about children at the time. Now she regrets, but I would tell her "You should had thought about children when it was the right time. Now it is too late, sorry". But doctors are too greedy, adventure and glory seekers. Staying against the Nature won't bring us anything good, anyway.

Psychonaut
05-17-2009, 06:43 PM
giving birth after 35 is often problemous and the risks of Dawn syndrome are increased.

That was my first thought too. According to the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/down-syndrome/DS00182/DSECTION=risk-factors):

A woman's chances of giving birth to a child with Down syndrome increase with age because older eggs have a greater risk of improper chromosome division. By age 35, a woman's risk of conceiving a child with Down syndrome is 1 in 400. By age 45, the risk is 1 in 35.

Beorn
05-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I couldn't care less for the business woman's health. She knew the risks and accepted them when she underwent this phase of her life.

My concern is for the welfare of the child. The social stigma of having an elderly mother in today's modern society fixated upon youth, health and vitality will be a big enough hurdle before one considers the ability of the mother being able to keep up with a young child.

Rainraven
05-18-2009, 05:45 AM
My grandmother wasn't even that old when I was born :eek:

The poor child is either going to be faced with losing it's mother at a young age or with the task of looking after an elderly relative when barely old enough to look after itself.

It is selfish and shows an immaturity much younger than her years. :mad:

Alison
05-18-2009, 08:16 AM
I agree. I think this woman is being very selfish.