PDA

View Full Version : Would You Give Job Interviewers Your Facebook Password? Because They Might Ask

microrobert
03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Would You Give Job Interviewers Your Facebook Password? Because They Might Ask

Say you're at a job interview. You're chatting with an HR rep, and all's going well when your interviewer asks you for ... your Facebook password.

Assuming you've misheard, you ask, "My Facebook username?"

Nono, your interviewer replies, breezily. Your password. Your Facebook password.

Yes. Apparently, for the 95 percent of employers who use social media sites to glean information about job candidates, the intelligence available for public perusal is no longer enough. Prospective employers now want to see inside your profiles. They want to see into your very soul.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/03/would-you-give-job-interviewers-your-facebook-password-because-they-might-ask/254810/

Loddfafner
03-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Hell no!

Germanicus
03-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Hell yeah, i do not give a shit anymore!:)

derLowe
03-22-2012, 05:43 PM
As long as I get the HR persons user name and password.

Absinthe
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
That's why I use an alias and not my real name on FB :)

Sikeliot
03-22-2012, 05:54 PM
I would not apply for a job where they'd even think to ask me. Luckily I only have a Facebook profile with my name and no picture or anything.. and 4 friends on it. :lol: I only use it to gather pictures for threads here.

Nglund
03-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Meh, screw fartbook.

Midori
03-22-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't have a facebook :ranger:

Sikeliot
03-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Simple answer to give the employer;

"Accessing my Facebook account is tantamount to asking for information such as age, marital status, sexual orientation, etc that are attached to my profile, and which you are not permitted to ask me about in an interview. Therefore, I must conclude that current law makes it illegal for you to request my login information."

Europa
03-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Hah?....80% retarded threads today...

Sikeliot
03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
I bet this will eventually be challenged in court and deemed unconstitutional.

EDIT: good news!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/03/22/senator-wants-to-make-it-illegal-for-employers-to-ask-for-your-facebook-password/

Lumi
03-22-2012, 07:12 PM
In short: Hell no. My facebook is set to "private" for a reason.
What they're asking is illegal, and I'd be very happy to request their details in which I would gladly take to the police.

jerney
03-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Well, no. They're no more entitled to a facebook password than they are a key to someone's house. I don't see how anyone could justify such a request

Stefan
03-22-2012, 07:25 PM
What happens if I answer, "I don't have one,"?

Frigga
06-18-2012, 03:29 PM
That's disturbing that employers think that they should have that much control over their employees lives and souls.......

Sikeliot
06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
I'd let my employer befriend me on it, but I wouldn't give them my password unless I could change it immediately after.

StonyArabia
06-18-2012, 03:31 PM
No, because it's none of their business and it sounds not a sane thing to do.

rhiannon
06-18-2012, 03:32 PM
That's an invasion of my privacy, and my potential employer should have NO NEED of anything on my facebook page.

The era of big brother is upon us:(

Sikeliot
06-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I'll repost what I said earlier.

Simple answer to give the employer;

"Accessing my Facebook account is tantamount to asking for information such as age, marital status, sexual orientation, etc that are attached to my profile, and which you are not permitted to ask me about in an interview. Therefore, I must conclude that current law makes it illegal for you to request my login information."

Osprey
06-18-2012, 04:35 PM
i don't think that the average person here is as important as he/she believes him/herself to be.

Dacul
06-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Lol learn to make 2 facebook pages,one for HR which should show you as what they want you to be but not exactly so they do not realise you are faking - so put things there like you have very small flaws.
And make another facebook page where you can write real things but under a surname which only your friends will have and do not make that page public for all,only for friends.

xajapa
07-23-2012, 10:12 PM
What happens if I answer, "I don't have one,"?

I believe some prospective employers are doing a google search prior to the interview. I believe if you have a facebook account it will come up. Now if you have a very common name, you might be able to circumvent their efforts.

Stefan
07-24-2012, 02:38 AM
I believe some prospective employers are doing a google search prior to the interview. I believe if you have a facebook account it will come up. Now if you have a very common name, you might be able to circumvent their efforts.

Yeah, I experienced this with my college. I reinstated my facebook, which at the time of the quoted post I had deactivated, to keep in touch with high school friends when I left to college. Out of nowhere I get an email from my academic adviser telling me somebody would contact me over facebook regarding a program. I found the whole concept a little bit intrusive of my privacy, lol. First: the assumption that I had a facebook, secondly, they took the effort to find me on facebook without my permission. I'd like to keep in contact with many of my friends, but I'm feeling uneasy again about the social website.

Han Cholo
07-24-2012, 02:47 AM
I would say I do not have a password or account. My facebook account has only my first name and all else is alias. So I don't think I could possibly be tracked.

iNird
07-24-2012, 02:54 AM
I barely use Facebook but I would tell any potential employer to go fuck themselves if they asked for such a thing.

:coffee:

zack
07-24-2012, 03:42 AM
We inch closer and closer to martial law and total "big brother" control.

Lets just get this shit over already!

PeacefulCaribbeanDutch
07-24-2012, 03:50 AM
its the same as asking for your email password, the only reason they do facebook is because it's more "fun" to check facebook. How terrible these people are..

I would probably say, no, but you can come to my home and have a meal with my family, if you want to get to know me.

Frigga
07-24-2012, 05:13 AM
If you need a Facebook account, then don't use your real name is my suggestion....

Gospodine
07-24-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm just going to leave this here:

3sThcwmx3rs