PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the Wolf

Oresai
11-22-2008, 06:40 PM
(the real ones, that is, not the plethora of net users who cull the wolf as avatar ;) )
source, the scotsman online.

Controversial return of the big beasts 'will not pose risk to humans'

Date: 22 November 2008
By Jenny Haworth
Environment Correspondent

THE threat of bears and wolves to humans and livestock should not be a barrier to bringing them back to Scotland, according to a top conservationist.
Rob Thomas, one of the scientists behind the controversial re-establishment of the beaver, would like to see the return of the big beasts that once roamed in the wild.

Bears have been extinct in Scotland for more than 1,000 years and wolves were wiped out in the mid-18th century.

Mr Thomas said there was "always hope" of returning the animals, and added: "A lot of the excuses that are put up are quite weak.

"All these things are controversial and they always lead to conflict, but these conflicts can be resolved," he said.

His views are not shared by the farming sector in Scotland, which predicts the predators could put not just livestock, but also humans, at risk.

Mr Thomas, conservation and research manager at the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland, rejects the argument that wolves and bears could present a danger to humans in a world more populated than hundreds of years ago.

"The population of Scotland north of the Central Belt is considerably less than it used to be when there were plenty of carnivores wandering about," he said. "Humans then lived alongside them."

Asked about the potential uproar if a wolf killed a child, he said: "Wolves don't eat babies. They don't go marauding round Mothercare looking for prey. People kill babies. Wolves don't."

He thinks there is no reason not to try putting wolves in Scotland, and "seeing what happens". And in terms of the potential of predators to kill livestock, he said: "If there needs to be some stock-take compensation in place, then so be it."

However, he recognised the idea of returning predators was not popular with everybody and said he could empathise with farmers.

"They may not be making a fortune and their world is the 30 acres they farm.

"I appreciate the pressures on small farmers and landowners. Reassurances need to be given and awareness needs to be raised."

But he suggested that with more immediate issues, such as the financial crisis, to worry about, re-establishing species like bears to Scotland would not be top priority.

He said he believed the earliest bears could return would be in "maybe 400 years".

A spokeswoman for the National Farmers' Union Scotland said the idea of returning bears and wolves caused "huge concern".

"Even animals and birds such as ravens and foxes are capable of killing livestock," she said.

"Wolves or bears would be far more extreme.

"One of the counter-arguments is that you could have compensation in place but there's more to it than that.

"The damage that some of these animals do is quite horrific. Farmers don't just farm to make a living, but because it's their passion. To have to deal with any injury or death at the hands of another animal is a worry."

She said another problem would be the impact on ramblers, particularly if farmers were held responsible.

"If you are one of these people who enjoys taking long walks in the countryside, you might not be very enthusiastic about bumping into a bear," she said.

"Farmers have a responsibility towards people who are taking access on their land.

"If you have a bull in the field, you have a responsibility if it's dangerous. There could be the argument that if these animals are roaming around on a farmer's land and do damage to a person, then the farmer could be responsible.

"Then what happens? I don't think anybody knows the answer to that."

Background

BEAVERS, which were hunted to extinction in Scotland 400 years ago, will be returned to the wild in May.

Four families flew into Heathrow from Norway on Thursday evening and will spend the next six months in quarantine before being released in a trial project in a forest in Argyll.

The idea of also returning the lynx, which last prowled around Scotland thousands of years ago, is gathering support, although some farmers have expressed fears the big cats could take livestock.

The howl of wolves could be heard in Scotland until the mid-18th century, when they were wiped out by hunters. Wolves have returned to other parts of Europe, but there are fears over the impact they could have on livestock and humans.

Similarly, the occasional aggressiveness of brown bears, wiped out in Scotland by the tenth century, is a barrier to the possibility of hearing their growls in the wild again.

Arrow Cross
11-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Hmm. As a Scottish farmer...what do you think?

Oresai
11-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Well, I come from a crofting family, not so big as a farmer. :) But I support the return of wolves to the wild of Scotland, not bears. I`m not a romanticist...I don`t see such creatures through rosy tinted glasses. ;)
I fully agree that wolves aren`t the threat to humans that most think they are, but bears...well...no expert, but from what I read of bears in the States, they pretty much are a threat, even strolling into towns to rummage through trash cans and in a few occasions, entering homes. :)
And whilst I personally would find the threat of that acceptable (I wouldn`t leave my doors open, for a start :D ) it would only take one incident of a stupid person thinking they can tackle the bear and being killed for there to be an enormous backlash, and an overreaction, in the way of folks, in which the bears get wiped out for good or `evicted` "never to return...."
The man (English, of course) who wishes to return lynx, bears, wolves etc to Sutherland in Scotland is one of the regions biggest landowners. One of the benefits (for him) would be the fencing in of the land where the beasts are to roam...he states it is in the interests of public welfare. Well, many locals are up in arms about that. Not the return of the beasts, there are a few crofters who object, believing livestock to be at risk, and in reality it`s likely they will take a few sheep or calves but that`s the disadvantage to live with if the majority want the beasts back....
but the folk object to the fencing in of such a large tract of Scotland`s last great wilderness. We Scots, you see, believe in the right to roam in our own land. Providing common sense prevails, with folks following the countryside code, that has always been at the root of the Scottish relationship with the landscape.
Now though, people like this English incomer are proposing a fencing off of a huge tract of land and giving a seemingly sensible reason for doing so. But he has also said special permission would be needed for even locals to cross, work on or otherwise enjoy the land...at his discretion, of course..
so you see? Sneaky.....;)

I see it all the time..incomers moving to Scotland then coming up with schemes like this, which appeal to a powerful group such as wildlife or financial groups, that will support their changing the use of the landscape to benefit such new landowners.
If they can return such beasts to the wild and ensure that no such erosion would occur, I fully support it, and would simply ensure my own livestock were well protected.
If not, and the price to pay for such creatures coming back is being barred from the land I was born in...I`ll object to it. :)

Arrow Cross
11-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Hmm...a reasonable and wise approach. And indeed, the devil is always in the details. ;>

Galloglaich
01-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I have been somewhat in favor of (someday) restoring wolves to my area for a long time. In addition to insuring the long term survival of wolves, a wolf population can contribute to the biodiversity of an ecosystem and the health of prey herds by culling weak individuals. These herds are then less likely to grow disproportionate in number and wreck the plant base of an area. Besides, wolves provide a noble cultural aesthetic. Unfortunately, due to less than responsible management in other areas, I don't think the time would be right for now.

A number of years ago, the state game commission did introduce coyotes. They denied it at first, but a little investigation revealed that the state was indeed culpable (with some financial backing from a few auto insurance companies). These non-native animals have now swelled in number. I can't really say that they are a real problem, but I see them everywhere. I'd rather they had instead tested a small population of wolves, at least they belong here.

As for the farming concerns, that's a real issue. I don't think we can actually evaluate the impact without really trying it. Certainly, some livestock would be lost here and there. I really think the danger to humans has been greatly exaggerated, though.

Regarding bears, I've been fortunate enough to run into a fair number of them in the wild. All but one of them have been the native black bear. I have yet to feel threatened, instead coming away with a positive experience. Then again, I usually carry a firearm when in the wilds and had I been attacked, I would not have hesitated to use it.

Of course, all my opinions are a hill of beans regarding the situation in Scotland, that decision has to be made by the Scots. If it could be done though (without endangering the land use issue), I think it might be worth it in the long run.

Oresai
01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Interesting, thanks, especially re the bears. The only knowledge I have of them are from the wildlife programmes we`ve been shown here, some from Russia..there was a beautifully made series ages back called, I think, In The Realm Of The Great Russian Bear...visually stunning...
and a few of the `most dangerous animals` kind, and it`s those that showed the danger of bears, with tourists either telling of horrific encounters (one impressive video footage had a bear peel open a car roof like a can of beans :D) or of rangers warning what bears can do. :)
Nice to hear something positive from someone who`s actually encountered them (and I`m openly envious of your chance to do so btw!)

Galloglaich
01-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Glad to have contributed!

I think the biggest problems arise when bear habitat and human settlements overlap too much. The bears can then become lazy and dependent upon things like garbage dumps, etc. for sustenance. These bears become dangerous because their instincts are in conflict with their lifestyle. They can become too accustomed to humans and eventually, a conflict results. These are the bears you see in videos running rampant in the suburbs. Still, I would have to say this is the exception rather than the norm. We have a lot of bears around here and you hardly ever hear of a problem (usually just some stolen garbage or something).

I also wouldn't want to under emphasize the potential of an enraged bear. They are large powerful creatures that can do some real damage in a hurry if a bad situation develops.

Fortunately, I have had only positive encounters. About eight years ago a mother black bear and her cubs walked about ten feet away from me while I was deer hunting. They just sauntered along and walked up the hill. I don't think they ever even knew I was there. When I was in my early teens, I encountered a mother brown bear and a cub in the Rocky Mountains while fly fishing. I was about 50 yards away and I watched for a little bit, but then quietly left the area for fear of disturbing her. It was exhilarating, but a little common sense goes a long way in these matters. Seeing a bear in the wild is truly a magnificent thing. I hope you get to experience it someday.

TheGreatest
01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Hmm the Dystopia is coming true ;) Any man who leaves the prison city will have to get through the automated laser defense and the rabid Wolves. Like that one Episode of the Simpsoms where Marge escapes the Cult's island. :)