PDA

View Full Version : German boiled alive

The Lawspeaker
05-18-2009, 09:38 PM
German boiled alive (http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/World/Story/STIStory_378277.html)

BERLIN - A GERMAN worker was boiled alive in an empty industrial-sized soup vat while trying to clean it, tabloid newspaper Bild reported on Sunday.

The 36-year-old, named only as Markus, was scrubbing the 2m-high pot when the lid accidentally closed, automatically starting the jets of boiling water used to disinfect vegetables.

'For reasons we have still not cleared up, the disinfection process started too soon,' a police spokesman told the paper.
By the time the unfortunate worker was found, he was already dead, Bild reported.

The factory in Lübeck in northern Germany, which employs around 200 people, has been 'provisionally closed,' according to its owners, Erasco - a subsidiary of US soup-maker Campbell's. -- AFP

Treffie
05-19-2009, 11:37 AM
When I read the title, I thought it was some sort of Uzbekistani torture procedure that he'd gone through. :eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/may/26/nickpatonwalsh

Beorn
05-19-2009, 12:29 PM
I bet the family have very, very good grounds for compensation.

I know that would be the last thing on their minds at the moment(I think! You never know with people), but what exactly was the man doing working on his own? Why wasn't the feed to the vat turned off? Why was there not an emergency button inside the vat in cases such as these....it could go on.

This is an example of two things.

1) An absolute idiot willingly doing a job without a care in the world as to his safety. In which case, the right genes left this Earth that day.

2) He knew full well the dangers cleaning that vat posed, but didn't think to question the wisdom of being asked to clean it through fear of losing his job.

Terrible accident. One which could have been so easily avoided.

Tabiti
05-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Sometimes you should keep a constant eye even on advanced workers, since they feel very confident about their routine works, so forget to observe even the most simple safety rules.
Heard of many stupid but fatal mistakes in industry.

Gooding
05-19-2009, 02:07 PM
My respects to Markus and his family.:( I hope his family can collect every pfennig they can get from those asshole "employers" that allowed this to happen.:grumpy:

Skandi
05-19-2009, 10:07 PM
What I want to know is why the start was automatic? I would have thought that the cleaning would have been started by a button on the outside of the vat, to stop stupid things like this happening.

Osweo
05-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Who was that American horror story author who wrote about a man who got trapped in a boiler on a steamship? Late Nineteenth Century I think. He ended up in a lunatic asylum as I recall.

Nasty business.

Beorn
05-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Who was that American horror story author who wrote about a man who got trapped in a boiler on a steamship? Late Nineteenth Century I think. He ended up in a lunatic asylum as I recall.

Nasty business.

It seems you have just dispelled a legend I had previously thought true.

The great Isambard Kingdom Brunel built the SS Great Eastern, and it was rumoured upon its dismantling that the skeleton of a child was discovered.

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Great_Eastern#Break_up) it wasn't.

Osweo
05-19-2009, 11:09 PM
It seems you have just dispelled a legend I had previously thought true.
Oh no, legends are more durable than this!

The great Isambard Kingdom Brunel built the SS Great Eastern, and it was rumoured upon its dismantling that the skeleton of a child was discovered.
I'd regard that as a modernisation of a very old folk motif, that of the Founding Sacrifice, or whatever you'd call it. Even in the earliest historic period we'd largely grown out of such barbarity, but still the notion lived on that it was somehow 'right' to provide a 'guardian spirit' to a new endeavour like a house or castle... or boat, and the stories self-propagated themselves. Odd deep bits in the human psyche, so there are.

Rainraven
05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
When I read the title, I thought it was some sort of Uzbekistani torture procedure that he'd gone through. :eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/may/26/nickpatonwalsh

I skim read it and thought he'd been made into soup :sick2:

SwordoftheVistula
05-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Maybe time for a 'Germany or Florida' thread?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=germany%20or%20florida

The Lawspeaker
05-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Soup, anyone ? ;)

Gooding
06-09-2009, 03:26 AM
Yummers!Sounds good to me, L.S.!:P

Sol Invictus
06-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Mmmmm gumbo.

Gooding
06-09-2009, 03:57 AM
Now,see..THAT'S why sometimes we don't really need to know the ingredients to some good Creole cooking!:eek::D:thumbs up:p

Bloodeagle
06-09-2009, 06:00 AM
I would think that there would be a series of safeguards to prevent this accident from happening in a progressive country like Germany.
I don't know how the food industry operates but most dangerous occupations in the United States utilize a Lock out/ Tag out device where a worker engages a lock and takes a tag and key from the power main of the device. When they are done they unlock and then simply put the tag and key in its proper place. This prevents a stupid coworker from turning on the aforementioned device when it is occupied. :eek:

Zankapfel
06-09-2009, 06:14 AM
You shouldn't trust anything the Bild says.

Electronic God-Man
06-09-2009, 06:17 AM
That's nothing. Around here we have a steel factory and one day a vat of molten iron somehow or another accidentally turned over and spilled out on top of a worker who was underneath. He wasn't completely covered, but close. Some of the metal burned right through to his bones, like on his arms and legs. The whole factory went on alarm and they tried to rush this guy to a hospital, all the time knowing that little could be done to help him. He was still alive for some time but the metal was cooling and hardening onto his greatly disfigured body. They say that his insides were cooked by the end from the heat of the metal.

I AM IRONMAN! :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDtxQgzn4Lw

finironcross
06-09-2009, 07:36 AM
German boiled alive? Why, that is a Jew's 'wet dream'! :D