PDA

View Full Version : Astronomers Detect Unknown Signal

Elveon
05-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Sydney, Australia - Instead of listening to possible alien radio signals, Australian OSETI-Astronomers looking for possible intelligent laser pulses from distant civilizations have detected an unknown signal that could not have been identified yet.

Contrary to the classical Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, (SETI) that is listening to intelligent radio signals from outer space, so called "OSETI" is searching for strong "optical" laser pulses or strong laser flashes. While SETI-researchers dismiss the idea of crop circles being a communication from aliens because - according to Seth Shostak of the SETI Institute - alien visitors with the ability to travel to Earth would surely use a more sophisticated technology to communicate, such as radio transmission, the idea of OSETI turns this argument around (even if certainly not in favour to the much debated crop circle phenomenon): "For an advanced civilization, radio wave technology would be old hat. (...) My strong feeling is that if there are (extraterrestrial intelligence) civilizations out there, they will send the signal by laser pulses or laser flashes", explained Dr. Ragbir Bhathal head of the "OZ OSETI PROJECT" at the University of Western Sydney in an interview with "The Australian"...

More (http://grenzwissenschaft-aktuell.blogspot.com/2009/05/australian-seti-astronomers-detect.html)

Osweo
05-18-2009, 10:51 PM
the "OZ OSETI PROJECT" at the University of Western Sydney
"I put the Oz in Ossetiya,
Down in Ossetiya
Come to Ossetiya..." :P:D

I wonder though - is this fiendishly expensive? More so than old Seti? Nice thing to do in theory, but with all the problems in the world at the moment, you know...

Lenny
05-19-2009, 04:51 AM
Uh, well the question is whether it is a signal or just a strange bit of noise, like maybe a speck of dust floating around in the atmosphere. (If that's possible).

Is it sustained or was it a one-time event?

Tabiti
05-19-2009, 02:05 PM
We've already watched "Contact"...

Skandi
05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Well my computer is constantly running seti, maybe maybe...

Lenny
05-20-2009, 03:15 PM
We've already watched "Contact"...
I think if the signal were a speech by Hitler, the story would have never seen the light of day: Pressure from the Simon-Weasenthal-Center would have silenced it on account of "anti-Semitism" before it got to press.:rolleyes:

Euroblood
05-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Interesting.

I do wonder though why the argument(s) for extraterrestrial life argue that they will be much more intelligent then us. Is it not possible to find a primitive form of life out there, perhaps something like bacteria?

I guess we will see in due time.

Vulpix
05-20-2009, 03:39 PM
I do wonder though why the argument(s) for extraterrestrial life argue that they will be much more intelligent then us. Is it not possible to find a primitive form of life out there, perhaps something like bacteria?

That actually sounds more likely.

Lenny
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure they already found traces of past microbial life on Mars.

Loki
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm pretty sure they already found traces of past microbial life on Mars.

This is the theory but I don't think it has been proven yet.

Tabiti
05-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Advanced bacteries using radio :D
The fact people search for something that look/thinks like us in Universe has always amused me. Why they think advanced civilizations should have uncovered the radio waves technologies? Or lasers? Or whatever Earth technologies.

Psychonaut
05-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Advanced bacteries using radio :D
The fact people search for something that look/thinks like us in Universe has always amused me. Why they think advanced civilizations should have uncovered the radio waves technologies? Or lasers? Or whatever Earth technologies.

The more signals we look for, the better chance we have of receiving something. Since we certainly can't look for information being transmitted by means we've not discovered, what else can we do but look for the kinds of signals we're capable of intercepting?