PDA

View Full Version : The Olympic Games are a bit fascist

CelticViking
03-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Guy Walters – New Statesman

... The Olympic Games themselves are a bit fascist. Essentially, both Olympism and fascism are secular religions that venerate the human body and seek the triumph of the will ... Throughout the 1920s and 1930s, celebrations of the Olympiads and fascist rallies grew increasingly indistinct. Both were quasi-religious experiences, complete with increasingly sophisticated rites and rituals, and adorned with striking iconography. Even their salutes looked the same ... When the Games went to Berlin in 1936, the union between the two movements was blessed. In many ways, the Berlin Olympics were the ultimate Olympic Games, because the Nazis were the only people who really "got" Olympism.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/guy-walters/2011/06/bit-fascist-olympic-emin-race

Siegfried
03-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Lol, what?

GeistFaust
03-26-2012, 12:05 AM
I don't think the Olympic games are fascist, but the Nazis just used it for their own purposes, and thus gave it their own twist.

Its like saying the Swastika is a Nazi symbol, when it has a far more extended meaning and association than that.

The Nazis recreated the Olympic games for only one term, and although the Olympics center on the body and an tribal mode of celebration and custom in Ancient Greece its not strictly fascist.

Siegfried
03-26-2012, 12:11 AM
I don't think the Olympic games are fascist, but the Nazis just used it for their own purposes, and thus gave it their own twist.

Its like saying the Swastika is a Nazi symbol, when it has a far more extended meaning and association than that.

The Nazis recreated the Olympic games for only one term, and although the Olympics center on the body and an tribal mode of celebration and custom in Ancient Greece its not strictly fascist.

I understand now. Doesn't make it fascist (nothing wrong with it being fascist though).

GeistFaust
03-26-2012, 12:13 AM
I would love it to be facist, and to center around Volkish ideals and consciousness, which center itself on the beauty and strength of the body.

It would be a rallying point for the military, political officials, and a festivity or celebration for the common folk.

It would be a sport, which unites the nation in one big series of events, and I think this would be a healthy thing to do on an annual or bi-yearly course.

Caismeachd
03-26-2012, 04:43 AM
You could say that all competition is fascist on the same token. The very essence/nature of life is fascist.

rashka
03-26-2012, 05:20 AM
I don't like the idea of such a huge organized event of world-wide competitions. I don't mind seeing small things around town or competitions amongst certain countries but the Olympics should be banned.

The Ripper
03-26-2012, 05:22 AM
I don't like the idea of such a huge organized event of world-wide competitions. I don't mind seeing small things around town or competitions amongst certain countries but the Olympics should be banned.

Why?

riverman
03-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Uh, no, it's a sporting event. :coffee: