PDA

View Full Version : Is Slovenian closest to Sanskrit

Corvus
03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Linguistic Comparisons

Reindl (1999) gives an excellent short comparison between Sanskrit and Slovenian.
Sanskrit and
Slovenian (and other Slavic languages) are related at the Indo-European level; that is, if you were to
think of the Slavic languages as being "sister" languages, Sanskrit would be a "cousin" language to them.

Thus, there are certain similarities that can be observed in the areas of phonology, morphology,
syntax and lexicon because of their historical connection.
The phonological similarities are heightened by the fact that Slavic and Indic languages are both
part of the "satem" group of Indo-European languages; thus, they will often share an /s/, whereas other
languages will have a /k/, such as Germanic /h/. For example, Sanskrit satam 'hundred' and Slovenian
sto 'hundred', but Latin centum 'hundred' and German hundert 'hundred'.
Slavic is, very generally speaking, phonologically conservative in many ways, thus allowing us to recognize cognates with Sanskrit because of its own archaic nature. For example, Sanskrit vranam
'wound' and Slovenian rana 'wound', Sanskrit maksha 'fly' and Slovenian muha 'fly', Sanskrit ish,
icchati 'to look for' and Slovenian iskati 'to look for'. (To Reindl's examples, it is possible to add many
others, such as Sanskrit mushka 'muscular person' and Slovenian moški 'manly', Sanskrit mush 'mouse'
and Slovenian miš 'mouse', Sanskrit i, eti 'to go' and Slovenian iti 'to go'.)
In the realm of morphology, Slovenian preserves the dual number (as does Sorbian, a Slavic
language spoken in eastern Germany). The verbal endings in the present tense are strikingly similar

between Slovenian and Sanskrit:
Singular Dual Plural
Skt patami patasi patati patava patathah patatah patamah patatha patanti
Slo padam padaš pada padava padasta padata padamo padate padajo
Eng I fall you fall he falls we fall you fall they fall
Singular Dual Plural
Skt asmi asi asti svah sthah stah smah stha santi
Slo sem si je sva sta sta smo ste so
Hindi maim hum tu hai vah hai ham haim tum ho ve haim

Eng I am you are he is we are you are they are
Nouns also show similarities between Sanskrit and Slovenian. Both have dual. The vocative is not
preserved in Slovenian, but is found in Czech, Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian and Bulgarian. The full
8-case system of Sanskrit has evolved in most Slavic languages to 7 or 6 cases (Slovenian and Latin 6;
in Greek 5).

NUMERALS---CARDINALS:
ENGLISH SANSKRIT SLOVENIAN HINDI PUNJABI
one eka eden neki ' someone' ek ek
two dva, f.dve dva, f .dve do do
three tri tri ti:n tinn
four catur štiri cha: r cha:r
five panca pet pa:nch panj
six shash, shat- šest chhe chhe
seven sapta sedem sa:t satt
eight ashta: osem a:th atth
nine nava devet nau nau
ten das'a deset das das
(Macdonell)
decade das'at desetka dasshak
(Skt., peta 'open hand with fingers expanded' Slo., pedpet)

NUMERALS---ORDINALS:
ENGLISH SANSKRIT SLOVENIAN HINDI PUNJABI
first prathama(purva) prvi pehla pehla
second dvitiya drugi dusra duja
third tritiya tretji tisra tija
fourth caturtha četrti chautha chautha
fifth pancatha peti pachva pannava
sixth shashtha šesti chhatha chhatha
seventh saptama sedmi satwa satma
eight ashtama osmi ath ath
ninth navama deveti navam nauvan
tenth das'ama deseti daswa daswa
twofold dvaya dvoje duguna duguna
threefold traya troje triguna triguna
tenfold dasa kritvas deset krat dasguna dasguna
(Macdonell)
Syntactically, most Slavic languages have adopted a basic SVO pattern, in distinction to the
(usual) SOV pattern in Sanskrit. Consideration that Sorbian is underlyingly OVS is questionable
(Reindl). Although Sanskrit SOV pattern is most frequent, the verb can occur anywhere in the
sentence (Venkatacharya).
In addition to noun declensions, Sanskrit grammar and Slovenian grammar have additional other
similarities. Both are highly inflected and have three genders - masculine, feminine and neuter.
Both have three numbers - singular, dual and plural; also adjectives are inflected to agree with the nouns.

Verbs are inflected for tense, mode, voice, number and person.
In Sanskrit only the first four numerals are declined in three genders. The numerals 1, 2, 3 and 4 agree in gender and case with the following noun. (This is similar to Slovenian.) The numerals from 5 to 19 are declined alike in the three genders. They agree with the nouns they qualify in gender, number and case. (In Slo., they agree in number and case, but not in gender.)
In Sanskrit and Slovenian, the ordinals, being all adjectives, are all declined in masculine, feminine and neuter. They agree in gender, number and case with the following nouns.

arcticwolf
04-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Shhh! What are you doing? You have just proved the Slavs are related to the Aryans. Do you know how many wet dreams you have just ruined? This can't be good! :D

brunette
04-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Lol it's closer to Punjab probably. ''Aryans'' LOL!

Corvus
04-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Lol it's closer to Punjab probably. ''Aryans'' LOL!

Get a history lesson, have you ever heard of the term "indogermanic"

Waidewut
04-01-2012, 03:19 PM
This is a pathetic Slavic attempt on laying hands on Baltic archaicness.

Corvus
04-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Relax and take it easy ;)

brunette
04-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Get a history lesson, have you ever heard of the term "indogermanic"

Please don't try and tell me that Slavic people are close to Iranians Persians are South West ASIANS and Aryans Slavics are Eastern European WHITES with their own language.

Corvus
04-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Please don't try and tell me that Slavic people are close to Iranians Persians are South West ASIANS and Aryans Slavics are Eastern European WHITES with their own language.

I did not go that far, I just wanted to show some evidence that Slovenian is one of the oldest archaic languages and connected to Sanskrit like all the other indogermanic languages including english.

Europa
04-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Closely? No! Does it belong to the Indo European familly?Yes!Yet another bull shit retarded thread on this forum.

Europa
04-01-2012, 03:32 PM
I did not go that far, I just wanted to show some evidence that Slovenian is one of the oldest archaic languages and connected to Sanskrit like all the other indogermanic languages including english.

You just need to put the crack pipe down,mate...

Corvus
04-01-2012, 03:34 PM
You just need to put the crack pipe down,mate...

If this thread does not appeal to you it`s better you ignore it :mad:

Europa
04-01-2012, 03:36 PM

What Baltic 'archaicness' are you talking about?

brunette
04-01-2012, 03:38 PM

So you have Slovenian blood? Ok you're probably attractive then.

Europa
04-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Of course it does.You joined this forum recently and already began talking bollocks.Slovenian is a part of the big Slavic familly.

Corvus
04-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Of course it does.You joined this forum recently and already began talking bollocks.Slovenian is a part of the big Slavic familly.

I never denied it, until now I had a good impression of you and I don`t need a dispute. So if you have a problem with me you better leave me alone.

Waidewut
04-01-2012, 03:45 PM
What Baltic 'archaicness' are you talking about?

Linguists view particularly Lithuanian as the most archaic European, Indo-European, language.

Here you can see some examples on how similar is Latvian to Sanskrit.
http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi51.htm

Europa
04-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Linguists view particularly Lithuanian as the most archaic European, Indo-European, language.

Here you can see some examples on how similar is Latvian to Sanskrit.
http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi51.htm

That is nonsense....

Corvus
04-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Really intresting, it`s something new to me that Baltic languages are that closed to Sanskrit.

Europa
04-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Phh...

Padre Organtino
04-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Cool story bro.
On a more serious note Balts indeed have retained archaic characteristics of PIE language while Slavs have diverged more from proto-PIE.

rashka
04-01-2012, 04:22 PM
It is possible that the Slav Europeans's language was spread to India and Iran.

arcticwolf
04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
You've opened a can of worms. Just wait till the hardcore "believers" get a hold of this! Here is a very useful advice.... first of all consider the audience, then the subject then think long and hard about the law of cause and effect. Here is how this all works, an individual reads the post, his/hers preconceptions, prejudices, emotional leanings, wishful thinking, pipe dreams and the rest of it react to however you have just offended this merry bunch! :D So in the end get a beer, kick back and enjoy the passing show! This is free advice :p

Corvus
04-01-2012, 04:53 PM
You've opened a can of worms. Just wait till the hardcore "believers" get a hold of this! Here is a very useful advice.... first of all consider the audience, then the subject then think long and hard about the law of cause and effect. Here is how this all works, an individual reads the post, his/hers preconceptions, prejudices, emotional leanings, wishful thinking, pipe dreams and the rest of it react to however you have just offended this merry bunch! :D So in the end get a beer, kick back and enjoy the passing show! This is free advice :p

You are right, that`s the reason I like this forum :icon_lol:

arcticwolf
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
I hope you are not refering to me. Open up any serious scientific book about Indo-European languages, I'm confident.

No Madam! My post is not directed at any one personally, it rather refers to the human nature in general. As to the subject I'm pretty well informed I hope. ;)

rashka
04-01-2012, 05:06 PM
There is indeed a theory that the slavs may have been the whites who had mixed with the darker Dravidians- who then became today's Hindus and Iranians. I just have to look for it... but just google for now.

Ushtari
04-01-2012, 05:07 PM
It is possible that the Slav Europeans's language was spread to India and Iran.
your original home is in Siberia, Asia

Mordid
04-01-2012, 05:07 PM
I've suspected Hindi, but I've read Lithuanian. I have no basis.

Corvus
04-01-2012, 05:08 PM
There is indeed a theory that the slavs may have been the whites who had mixed with the darker Dravidians- who then became today's Hindus and Iranians. I just have to look for it... but just google for now.

But that`s just a theory, not more. Not really serious if you ask me.

Mordid
04-01-2012, 05:09 PM
your original home is in Siberia, Asia
Your original home is in, Morocco, Africa.

Arthur Scharrenhans
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Closer to Sanskrit than what?

The modern Indo-Aryan languages are closest; then Iranic languages; then, arguably, Armenian and Modern Greek (Indo-Iranian, Armenian and Greek, together with Phrygian, formed a distinct dialectal subgroup of late Proto-Indoeuropean, as defined by several isoglosses).

Slovenian, as any other Slavic language, is probably a bit closer to Sanskrit than Irish or Icelandic is, but not especially much.

gelled01
01-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Slovene language is just Glosbe dictionaries are unique. On Glosbe you can check not only translations into language Sanskrit or Slovenian: we also provide examples of usage, by showing dozens of examples of translated sentences containing translated phrase. This is called "translation memory" and is very useful for translators. One can see not only translation of the word, but also how it behaves in the sentence. Our Translation Memory come mostly from parallel corpuses that were made by humans. Such translated sentences are very useful addition to dictionaries....