PDA

View Full Version : MetaEthnicity/Ethnicity/Subrace/Ancestry

Kazimiera
03-28-2012, 03:42 AM
We all have this little column to fill in. And I think for some of us who are new this can be a little confusing.

Could someone please explain, with examples what the following are:

- Meta-ethnicity
- Ethnicity
- Subrace
- Ancestry

I, and probably other newbies too, are wondering how to fill it in correctly. I think I've made about 20 adjustments to mine already!

Hevneren
03-28-2012, 03:55 AM
We all have this little column to fill in. And I think for some of us who are new this can be a little confusing.

Could someone please explain, with examples what the following are:

- Meta-ethnicity
- Ethnicity
- Subrace
- Ancestry

I, and probably other newbies too, are wondering how to fill it in correctly. I think I've made about 20 adjustments to mine already!

Meta-ethnicity = Slavic, Germanic, Celtic, Romance, Hellenic etc.

Ethnicity = What you identify as in terms of culture/nationality.

Subrace = Phenotypes like Faelid, Nordid, Pontid, Atlantid, Baltid, Borreby etc.

Ancestry = Where your ancestors come from. If you have a grandparent who was Irish, you can cite that, and if your father was German you can cite that too etc.

If you're unsure about any of the categories, just leave it blank. :)

Comte Arnau
03-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Meta-ethnicity = Slavic, Germanic, Celtic, Romance, Hellenic etc.

Ethnicity = What you identify as in terms of culture/nationality.

Subrace = Phenotypes like Faelid, Nordid, Pontid, Atlantid, Baltid, Borreby etc.

Ancestry = Where your ancestors come from. If you have a grandparent who was Irish, you can cite that, and if your father was German you can cite that too etc.

If you're unsure about any of the categories, just leave it blank. :)

The ethnicity part is quite clear for a European. But apparently not so much elsewhere. :D

Sikeliot
03-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Meta-ethnicity is the overarching group your ethnicity falls under. I.e. Romance, Celtic, Germanic, Hellenic, Arabic, etc.

Ethnicity is your specific ethnicity, but the one you identify as most. i.e. Lebanese, Italian, French, German etc.

Sub-race is your "classification", i.e. Atlantid, Mediterranid, etc.

Heritage is all of the places your ancestors come from, whether you identify with them more generally or not.

So for me I am;

Romance-Slavic-West African
Portuguese
Atlanto-Med
Portuguese, Eastern European, Cape Verdean

Gaztelu
03-28-2012, 04:10 AM
The concept of a "romance" meta-ethnicity is quite pointless in my opinion, and simply proves that meta-ethnicity has no valuable meaning outside of linguistics.

Comte Arnau
03-28-2012, 04:12 AM
The concept of a "romance" meta-ethnicity is quite pointless in my opinion, and simply proves that meta-ethnicity has no valuable meaning outside of linguistics.

I don't agree. Look at the thread on the common traits of South-Western Europeans. ;)

Sikeliot
03-28-2012, 04:13 AM
I don't agree. Look at the thread on the common traits of South-Western Europeans. ;)

I agree with Gaztelu in that as someone who identifies as Portuguese, I can agree there is an "Iberian" meta-ethnicity but I don't extend it to include the French and the Italians.

Comte Arnau
03-28-2012, 04:16 AM
I agree with Gaztelu in that as someone who identifies as Portuguese, I can agree there is an "Iberian" meta-ethnicity but I don't extend it to include the French and the Italians.

And would you put the Occitans in the "French" category or in the "Iberian"?

Sikeliot
03-28-2012, 04:17 AM

Iberian.

I mean I do not feel like I belong grouped with a Parisian or a Calabrese. I could, however, feel close to someone from Marseille or Turin, to some extent.

Comte Arnau
03-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Iberian.

I mean I do not feel like I belong grouped with a Parisian or a Calabrese. I could, however, feel close to someone from Marseille or Turin, to some extent.

Well, that does not invalid the group then. It is logical than someone from an extreme end (Portugal) feels less connected to people from the other two extremes (Northern French and Calabria). They might be transitional in a way, but I consider them still part of the SW. Obviously there could be intergroups between the Metaethnicity and the Ethnicity too.

Take into account that I'm dividing Europe into 4 corners. :)

riverman
03-28-2012, 04:24 AM
(edit)

Gaztelu
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM

"Occitan" is quite a broad term. I would put Gascons and Languedocians under the Pyrenean group, although I am not too sure about Provençal people. Auvergnese and other Northern Occitans would definitely be Gallic though.

Damião de Góis
03-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Ancestry and ethnicity are the same thing. In my case:

Meta-ethnicity - Romance
Ethnicity - Portuguese
Subrace - Atlanto-Med (?)
Ancestry - Portuguese

Mortimer
03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Meta-Ethnicity: Caucasoid
Ethnicity: Bihari Brahmin
Ancestry: i guess my birthplace and my parents and their parents etc. birthplace, so i put voivodina serbia
--

i put it accordingly to my genetic results i received

Comte Arnau
03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
"Occitan" is quite a broad term. I would put Gascons and Languedocians under the Pyrenean group, although I am not too sure about Provençal people. Auvergnese and other Northern Occitans would definitely be Gallic though.

;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Sumien_supradialectal.jpg

Ancestry and ethnicity are the same thing. In my case:

Meta-ethnicity - Romance
Ethnicity - Portuguese
Subrace - Atlanto-Med (?)
Ancestry - Portuguese

You are a European. Many colonials have parents from different countries and yet they feel in practice more connected to an Anglic ethnic group.

Damião de Góis
03-28-2012, 09:35 PM
;)
You are a European. Many colonials have parents from different countries and yet they feel in practice more connected to an Anglic ethnic group.

But they do mean the same. What's the difference?

Comte Arnau
03-28-2012, 09:40 PM
But they do mean the same. What's the difference?

Ethnicity has a cultural element implied. Ancestry is 100% biological.

You can have a Polish father and a Greek mother and not feel related at all with any of the two ethnicities, because you've grown up in a different country, with a different culture and speak a different language as your first language.

Damião de Góis
03-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Ethnicity has a cultural element implied. Ancestry is 100% biological.

You can have a Polish father and a Greek mother and not feel related at all with any of the two ethnicities, because you've grown up in a different country, with a different culture and speak a different language as your first language.

Then it's the same thing unless we take exceptions into account, like your example above. ;)

Comte Arnau
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Then it's the same thing unless we take exceptions into account, like your example above. ;)

Exceptions in Europe, not so much in the New World. That's what I was saying. ;)