PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe that the current education system in your country works ?

The Lawspeaker
03-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Do you believe that the current education system in your country works ?

(The current Dutch system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_Netherlands))

riverman
03-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Hardly. Or I should ask to what purpose. It's more like babysitting , keeping teens off the streets. However there are some positive aspects too.

The Lawspeaker
03-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Hardly. Or I should ask to what purpose. It's more like babysitting , keeping teens off the streets. However there are some positive aspects too.
But does it educate people in any way, shape or form ? In the case of the Netherlands I think that the system covered under the Mammoetwet (basically the entirely secondary education system - including the grading system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_the_Netherlands) used in primary and secondary schools) should be up for review.

Lithium
03-31-2012, 07:57 AM
The Bulgarian education system sucks from the 1st to 12th school years + bachelor and magister's higher education. Some of the things that we study are completely useless and outdated. I know some people from Western and Northern Europe and all I could say is that we study much more classes and years than them and we still don't get profit from that. For example : I am in a High School of Economics and I study biology + chemistry + history + geography + math + 2 foreign languages + 20 different economic classes, this is insane and most of the classess are totally worthless for my future economic degree :D

Sabinae
03-31-2012, 08:40 AM
The current system here keeps changing every year... It is messy, and chaotic. Students/parents are confused.

I hope the leaders would choose to make changes and stick with them, giving time for implementation and making way for progress. It takes time to make considerable changes. They need to learn to view in perspective.

Styggnacke
03-31-2012, 09:33 AM
The current system here keeps changing every year... It is messy, and chaotic. Students/parents are confused.

I hope the leaders would choose to make changes and stick with them, giving time for implementation and making way for progress. It takes time to make considerable changes. They need to learn to view in perspective.
It's exactly the same here in Sweden. With every new government, there is always dramatic changes in the education policies. An example: Last year we switched our grade system, even though the old one had only been in use since 1994. This was not an entirely bad decision, but there's no consistency in the school system at all.

rhiannon
03-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Our No Child Left Behind educational system has, unfortunately, left the United States behind the rest of the developed world as far as primary education goes. Nowadays it seems that most teachers teach to the texts kids have to take:(