PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Fantasy World Accents British?

CelticViking
04-03-2012, 04:58 AM
http://andybundy.com/andy/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/01aeb__58959436_thrones.jpg

Game of Thrones and The Lord of the Rings are set in fantasy worlds, so why does everybody speak with a British accent?

A lot of British people will not have heard of Game of Thrones.

This tale of family strife and royal intrigue in a fantasy world called Westeros has been a big hit on HBO in the US. Millions watched the first series, justifying the movie-like budget poured into the production.

The second series of the show, which starts on HBO on Sunday, and Sky Atlantic on Monday, is the subject of much more hype in the US than in the UK.

But while aimed at a US audience and adapted from the books of American author George RR Martin, Game of Thrones is entirely dominated by British accents.

UK accents also dominate in The Lord of the Rings and the forthcoming Hobbit films.

It contradicts the traditional stereotype of British accents cropping up mostly as bad guys and upper crust types in period drama.

"It's such an ingrained part of fantasy and science fiction that I'm a little surprised when those kind of characters don't speak in British accents," says Matt Zoller Seitz, TV critic for New York magazine and Vulture.com.

"In the fantasy realm they could have any kind of accent but British does seem to be the default."
Ian McKellen as Gandalf and Elijah Wood as Frodo in The Lord of the Rings An American-accented Gandalf might not have pleased fans

A British accent is sufficiently exotic to transport the viewer to a different reality, argues Seitz, while still being comprehensible to a global audience.

The neutral Mid-Western accent is still what counts as "normal" in the US dominated entertainment industry. A British accent provides a "splash of otherness", when set alongside it.

American viewers of Game of Thrones also get a coherent range of accents from all of the British Isles.

Those from the north of the fantasy world tend to speak mostly with either northern English or Scottish accents. In the first series, Yorkshiremen Sean Bean and Mark Addy played their parts with their own accents. There are also characters with an Irish tinge.

British audiences are used to seeing imported US shows - like House or The Wire - with British actors doing American accents.

But Game of Thrones, much of which was filmed in Northern Ireland, has only one American actor as a central character, Peter Dinklage. He does his part with a rather posh English accent.

"A New York accent wouldn't work," Dinklage, who was born in New Jersey and plays scheming Tyrion Lannister, recently explained to the Calgary Herald. "It doesn't sound right."

And if you go on the forums you see American fans' expectations have been met.

"I'm not an expert by any means, but what I find interesting is that they sound to my American ears to be not only British accents, but regional British accents," writes Independent George on the Ice and Fire Forum.

http://andybundy.com/andy/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/2e2bf__59387685_daenerys2_skyat.jpg

This character is from the south so speaks with a southern English accent

"The North sounds vaguely Scottish to me, Robert sounded like he was from Northern England, I know the DVD commentary track to episode six said that the Vale was cast as predominantly Welsh (though I couldn't identify a Welsh accent if my life depended on it)."

He adds: "Hopefully one of our British readers can set me straight. For natives, it could be as jarring as watching a western where everybody's speaking Italian. Oh, wait... "

Martin, the creator of the Song of Ice And Fire series of books, was inspired a great deal by European Medieval history," says Stephen Tierney, administrator of the Game of Thrones UK fansite.

"As such his characters reflect that and if you read the books and listen to the cadence of the characters voices you will find that they do sound more regionally British than they do American.

"Since it is a mediaeval fantasy saga with more emphasis on the characters than on witches and wizards I do think the regional British accents work very well. The show does place a lot of emphasis on a north/south divide and seeing the northern House Stark going up against the distinctly southern House Lannister provides a great contrast and helps the viewers know which side everyone is on."

It's not just fantasy that has developed a British accent default setting, even for American audiences. For ancient Greece and Rome - as seen in everything from Spartacus to HBO/BBC's Rome series - audiences again expect UK accents. One has only to cast one's mind back to Joaquin Phoenix's accent in Gladiator for a classic example.

http://andybundy.com/andy/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/2e2bf__59387686_snow2_skyat.jpg

While this character is from the north and speaks with a more northern English accent

Some have a simple explanation for the British invasion of fantasy land - Kevin Costner.

Although not strictly part of the genre, his US/British accent in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was so jarring, and out of historical context, that it stood as a warning to all future directors. Or so the theory goes.

Martin has said English accents work best for fantasy, as the genre is rooted in the Middle Ages.

"It's full of castles and lords and swords and knights and all the other trappings that we associate with England in this country. It seems natural. It would be hard to do with a group of actors who had thick Southern accents," he has commented.

"You would think why not just film it in the states with famous American actors, especially since George RR Martin, who wrote the books originally, has been called the American Tolkien? You would think this is an American thing," says Dan Wright, producer of UK-based Game of Thrones fan show Thronecast.

"But originally the books were sourced and based around at least a working knowledge of British history, the War of the Roses and things like that, and that certainly comes out in the way the royal family is structured and that sort of thing."

But Game of Thrones is on a premium cable channel. There is still a long way to go before British actors are allowed to use their own accents on network television in mainstream roles.

Lisa De Moraes, TV critic of the Washington Post, believes the big US networks are reluctant to have characters speak with a foreign accent.

"They will make an exception with fantasy drama, or costume drama, but the need to pull in big audiences - and to have lead characters with broad appeal - means they will not allow British actors to use their natural accents."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17554816

Pallantides
04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Not all accents in fantasy worlds are British, in Skyrim many speak with Arnie accents. :D

Virtuous
04-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Not all accents in fantasy worlds are British, in Skyrim many speak with Arnie accents. :D

Let me guess, someone stole your sweet roll?Stop lollygaggin'......arro' to the knee.

overused joke is overused joke.

Flintlocke
04-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Not really, Warcraft II had macho American accents and it actually sounded great.

Lumi
04-09-2012, 03:31 PM
By British, you mean English.
And I don't know why. Maybe because the English accent is rather nice. Well, depending in where they're from. If they're articulated, then any accent can sound amazing to me.

Insuperable
04-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Maybe because fantasy movies are based on fantasy stories written by British writers, mainly

- in the honor of British writing

Comte Arnau
04-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Because people tend to associate these worlds with medieval Europe. Simple as that.

Hayalet
04-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Martin has said English accents work best for fantasy, as the genre is rooted in the Middle Ages.

This.

Graham
04-09-2012, 03:45 PM
By British, you mean English.
And I don't know why. Maybe because the English accent is rather nice. Well, depending in where they're from. If they're articulated, then any accent can sound amazing to me.

We usally get lumped with the Dwarf.:mad: England get's the hero or the baddie.

Vasconcelos
04-09-2012, 03:47 PM
We usally get lumped with the Dwarf.:mad:

It's okay, everyone in his right mind knows Dwarves are the greatest.

Graham
04-09-2012, 04:03 PM
It's okay, everyone in his right mind knows Dwarves are the greatest.

The developers of Skyrim think otherwise. Can't pick a Dwarf. Just have to stick with my kajiit reiver. Pacey non-Brit Cat, instead of strong midget scot.

Pallantides
04-09-2012, 04:06 PM
'Scottish' Dwarves is mostly a D&D and WOW invention. Tolkien's Dwarves were different.

Benacer
04-09-2012, 04:12 PM
The developers of Skyrim think otherwise. Can't pick a Dwarf. Just have to stick with my kajiit reiver. Pacey non-Brit Cat, instead of strong midget scot.

The Dwemer are extinct in the age of Skyrim, but their dungeons are still around. :P And yes, khajiits are great.

Pallantides
04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
The Dwemer were Mer(Elves) though.

Osprey
04-09-2012, 04:20 PM
british accents sound posh and usually signal something of importance. Americans speak like boy and girl next door type.

Benacer
04-09-2012, 04:22 PM
The Dwemer were Mer(Elves) though.

Indeed, but they're also called "Dwarves" in-game. I'm not sure if they actually look like he dwarves we are used to or something else. I'm not much of a fan them anyways, I prefer Tolkien's Dwarves.

Pallantides
04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Indeed, but they're also called "Dwarves" in-game. I'm not sure if they actually look like he dwarves we are used to or something else. I'm not much of a fan them anyways, I prefer Tolkien's Dwarves.

Dwemer concept art from Morrowind:
http://images.uesp.net/thumb/4/43/MW-art-Dwemer-Concept.jpg/180px-MW-art-Dwemer-Concept.jpg

Dandelion
04-14-2012, 05:56 PM
The Hobbits are/were made Irish too, not sure whether one has mentioned this already. I think it suits them great for reason undefined.

Albion
04-14-2012, 06:38 PM
A lot of British people will not have heard of Game of Thrones.

I have no idea what that is.

We usally get lumped with the Dwarf.:mad: England get's the hero or the baddie.

Because your accents sound dumb? :p

Graham
04-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Because your accents sound dumb? :p

whaegeesafuck! :mad: lol

In that case it should have been a brummie. :p

CelticViking
04-14-2012, 06:52 PM
SparkNotes: The Hobbit: Themes, Motifs & Symbols
www.sparknotes.com/lit/hobbit/themes.html
Description and explanation of the major themes of The Hobbit. ... acknowledged that the nature of hobbits was based on the rural, middle-class English people

Only Pippin sounded Scottish.

Graham
04-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Kazimiera
02-19-2013, 08:56 PM
---> moved to Film, Music and TV

Jackson
02-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Aren't most of the actors in Game of Thrones British or English anyhow? I haven't seen it or read the books.

Illancha
02-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Aren't most of the actors in Game of Thrones British or English anyhow? I haven't seen it or read the books.
Yeah pretty much the entire cast is British.

The books and the series are obviously set in a fantasy world so there's really no specific accent. However, it sounds way more epic in British accents (I say British since a few of the actors are Scottish and Irish).

Jackson
02-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Yeah pretty much all of the cast is British.

Then we have our reason! :P

HillY35
02-19-2013, 09:21 PM
I think the reason why "fantasy" accents, etc., are British in these movies is because the average intelligence of a movie-goer is rather low. Or perhaps even the intended audience may be of a young, uneducated age. Such groups don't make much sense (and don't need to for that matter) out of why a dwarf talks the way he does, or why a wizard speaks in a funny accent. They just appreciate the color it adds to what they're being entranced by.
I guess what I'm saying is, the educational worth of why the accent "is the way it is" is so inconsequential to the needs of such an audience. Higher minds might find it an interesting subject, but what typical moviegoer goes to see a movie for the sake of the accents, etc? They're just going to get entranced and dumbed down for a while. This is the audience being catered to, and so accents are only varied for artistic effect. That's my opinion anyway.

Nihtgenga
02-20-2013, 12:20 AM
I just assume it is because William Morris, E.R. Eddison, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were English and Lord Dunsany was Irish. So the fantasy genre was developed in the British Isles and people associate them. There were early American writers too though like A. Merrit, Clark Ashton Smith and R. E. Howard. *shrug* Those American writers wrote 'sword & sorcery' though rather than 'high fantasy.'

There are a lot of Russian fantasy films and I'm pretty sure everyone in them not only has a Russian accent but is actually speaking Russian.

Smaug
02-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Characters from the Galactic Empire in Star Wars series speak with English accent, also the names of the space ships are all references to names from the British Navy.

Nihtgenga
02-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Characters from the Galactic Empire in Star Wars series speak with English accent, also the names of the space ships are all references to names from the British Navy.

Not a huge Star Wars fan but Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin was a bad ass.

Smaug
02-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Not a huge Star Wars fan but Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin was a bad ass.

I totally agree :)

Scholarios
02-20-2013, 12:55 AM
British English sounds archaic, quaint, etc. American English sounds modern, etc. At least to a world audience raised on American media.

Colonel Frank Grimes
02-20-2013, 12:57 AM
The answer is simple: England is an imaginary place for North Americans and so fantasy characters should sound like they're from an imaginary place. If the characters had North American accents they'd sound too real to us. Who would take a faerie with a Wisconsin accent seriously? An English accent would make it more "other worldly."

Jackson
02-20-2013, 10:37 AM

That's one of the reasons why I can only play on the side of the Empire in Star Wars The Old Republic. :D

Graham
02-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Cockneys always get the drunken, peasant accent.

archangel
02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
i like how they say cant etc....lol

Smaug
02-20-2013, 11:16 AM
That's one of the reasons why I can only play on the side of the Empire in Star Wars The Old Republic. :D

Old Republic it's ok, but the Empire that came after the New Republic is a mix of British Empire with Nazi Germany, so... :P

Albion
02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
In some films there's a mixed cast on Americans and British. One notices how the hero always has the American accent, the British guy is usually a quiet thinking type. The only films where the hero is British is James Bond, and that's only because it revolves around him.

Scandalf
09-24-2013, 10:17 AM
The answer is simple: England is an imaginary place for North Americans and so fantasy characters should sound like they're from an imaginary place. If the characters had North American accents they'd sound too real to us. Who would take a faerie with a Wisconsin accent seriously? An English accent would make it more "other worldly."

"Imaginary place" LOL!