PDA

View Full Version : 'Pay foreign convicts to quit Switzerland'

Quorra
04-13-2012, 12:30 AM
'Pay foreign convicts to quit Switzerland'

Foreign-born offenders in Geneva will in future be offered 4,000 francs ($4,634) to leave the country, as part of a plan to reduce the burden on Switzerland's prisons.

Frustrated by seeing the same North African offenders going through the courts time and again, Geneva has responded by launching a new plan which offers offenders a chance to return to their home countries rather than languish in a Swiss prison.

The move is also aimed at reducing the significant prison bill, which amounts to approximately 450 francs ($491) a day per inmate, newspaper Tages Anzeiger reported. Instead of serving a prison sentence, small crime offenders will be able to choose to return instead to their homelands.

“This is better than punishment,” Emilie Flaman, President of the Green Party, told Tages Anzeiger.

Each participating offender is allocated 4,000 francs ($4,634): 1,000 francs ($1,091) of which are to be used for the return flight and the remaining 3,000 francs ($3,272) are to be paid out upon arrival by a local NGO for an apprenticeship or training course.

“We save money, not only for prison places, but also for the special deportation flights, which cost from about 100,000 ($109,095) francs per individual,” said project co-developer Pierre Weiss, a councillor for the liberal Free Democratic Party.

In return, the offenders must provide full details on their identities including a set of fingerprints. The men will not be allowed ever to return to Switzerland.

http://www.thelocal.ch/3065/20120411/

Supreme American
04-13-2012, 01:01 AM
We should be doing more of this; it's a nice start.

Nixon
04-13-2012, 01:08 AM
I don't know about Switzerland and how the EU gangsters in Brussels effect them, but if this was tried in England the convicts would accept the money, spend it, and then come back knowing they will never be deported.

AussieScott
04-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Sounds good to me just needs to be enforced, to prevent them from returning under a fraudulent alias.

Contra Mundum
04-13-2012, 04:05 AM
Why are they paying them? Just toss their asses out of the country, or better yet, shoot them, then grind their carcasses up into a fine grain and use it as fertilizer.

Caismeachd
04-13-2012, 04:22 AM
It's a good plan. Paying them that small amount for them to leave is much cheaper than paying for rehabilitation and public funding as well. There might be some abuse though. Similar to the US when Mexicans are deported they often come back in anyways. They don't really mind doing the prison time it seems as long as they can exploit the system as much as possible in the meanwhile. Something similar could happen (as crazy as it sounds) a group of convicts could get together, commit some petty crimes cull their money together and retire to some cheap country.

This is a "civil" thing to do but it's very open for abuse. Obviously thought of by someone who is out of touch with how depraved criminals can be.

Incal
04-13-2012, 06:53 AM
But why pay them?

The Lawspeaker
04-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Why are they paying them? Just toss their asses out of the country, or better yet, shoot them, then grind their carcasses up into a fine grain and use it as fertilizer.
Agreed. I would pay immigrants here that have worked here for a long time to leave the country (taking their pensions, savings and a handsome compensation for their labour with them). But when it comes to criminals I think that Leibowitz' comes close to what I would suggest. Only I would turn them into something useful: bedrock for another province out in the North Sea.

But that's just me. ;)

Kazimiera
04-16-2012, 07:45 AM
What I don't understand is WHAT costs $491 per day??

Fly them back by all means.

sturmwalkure
04-16-2012, 03:06 PM

I can't disagree with this. :D:D:thumb001:

The Lawspeaker
04-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Agreed. I would pay immigrants here that have worked here for a long time to leave the country (taking their pensions, savings and a handsome compensation for their labour with them). But when it comes to criminals I think that Leibowitz' comes close to what I would suggest. Only I would turn them into something useful: bedrock for another province out in the North Sea.

But that's just me. ;)
To be delivered Argie-style (if you get my gist). :cool:

Albion
04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Oh great, they have to be bribed now? :rolleyes2: Oh well, it is better than nothing. Just pay them to get out and make sure they can never return - ban them from entering and arrest them if they sneak in illegally.

Albion
04-16-2012, 08:11 PM

But that's just me. ;)

A forced labour camp to build dykes around Doggerland? Good idea!