PDA

View Full Version : The Law of Attraction

Hurrem sultana
04-14-2012, 05:33 PM
I had no idea where to put this thread,so here it is

So do you believe in it? have you read anything about,your opinions?

thought that this was interesting

Virtuous
04-14-2012, 05:35 PM
One must look close to or like Me/Regent/Dralos in order to be attractive.

Hurrem sultana
04-14-2012, 05:36 PM
One must look close to or like Me/Regent/Dralos in order to be attractive.

*facepalm*

just google it:coffee:

derLowe
04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I had no idea where to put this thread,so here it is

So do you believe in it? have you read anything about,your opinions?

thought that this was interesting

Can you please elaborate, I do not know what it is in this context.

Arne
04-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Bosniak it´s not clear to me in what relation you are reffering to.

Hurrem sultana
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Can you please elaborate, I do not know what it is in this context.

Basically that your thoughts attract positive or negative energy,in bosnian we would say "sto slutis!"(i you think bad stuff,bad stuff will happen if you think positive,positive will happen).We attract positive or negative energy with our thoughts

here:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/08/the-law-of-attraction/

The Law of Attraction simply says that you attract into your life whatever you think about. Your dominant thoughts will find a way to manifest.

i can say in my case it has mostly been true

Virtuous
04-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Interesting....

In Malta we got a proverb/saying that says Aħseb fil-ħażin biex it-tajjeb ma jonqosx (Think in a pessimist way so that good things happen).

But this saying doesn't make sense imo...if you think negative, bad things are more likely to happen.

Phil75231
04-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Basically that your thoughts attract positive or negative energy,in bosnian we would say "sto slutis!"(i you think bad stuff,bad stuff will happen if you think positive,positive will happen).We attract positive or negative energy with our thoughts

here:

The Law of Attraction simply says that you attract into your life whatever you think about. Your dominant thoughts will find a way to manifest.

On the other hand, that opens the door to asking us to effectively believe in magic.

derLowe
04-14-2012, 05:48 PM

here:

Well you will certainly not get any where by being negative. Most of the financial high flyers I met have a very healthy self esteem and self talk.

Hurrem sultana
04-14-2012, 05:59 PM
On the other hand, that opens the door to asking us to effectively believe in magic.

Well yeah it kinda is in that way! believing in bad/good energy that comes from the universe.But according to them there is nothing magical there it is just part of the nature

If you walk around being scared a car will hit you,sooner or later you will be in a situation where you are in a big chance of getting hit by a car(that is the logic of this "theory")

Panopticon
04-14-2012, 06:02 PM
It's that "The Secret" theory that everyone seems to be so captured by? If it's that, I think it's ridiculous and pseudo-scientific. Basically, it goes into the same place as most New Age theories and beliefs; the garbage disposal.

Bad things are going to happen to you even if you only think of positive things and vice versa. You won't become a CEO or anything like that by thinking you will become one. However, you're more likely to become a CEO if you strive to become one. Thinking 'x' to happen won't make 'x' happen.

According to this theory, if you get cancer, it's your own fault. Why? Because you lack positive thinking. It goes the opposite way as well, if you're cured of cancer or never get that disease, you have been thinking positively! If you get mugged, it's your own fault. Why? You didn't think positively!

Furthermore, all of the suffering in the whole world must therefore be due to negative thinking. The recent drought in Ethiopia that led to the hunger catastrophe was due to the Ethiopians negative thinking. Worst of all, the reason Kony is in power is Ugandans thinking negative.

Article criticizing "The Secret" and "The Law" of Attraction (http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/secrets_and_lies/)

Hurrem sultana
04-14-2012, 06:13 PM
It's that "The Secret" theory that everyone seems to be so captured by? If it's that, I think it's ridiculous and pseudo-scientific. Basically, it goes into the same place as most New Age theories and beliefs; the garbage disposal.

Bad things are going to happen to you even if you only think of positive things and vice versa. You won't become a CEO or anything like that by thinking you will become one. However, you're more likely to become a CEO if you strive to become one. Thinking 'x' to happen won't make 'x' happen.

According to this theory, if you get cancer, it's your own fault. Why? Because you lack positive thinking. It goes the opposite way as well, if you're cured of cancer or never get that disease, you have been thinking positively! If you get mugged, it's your own fault. Why? You didn't think positively!

Furthermore, all of the suffering in the whole must therefore be due to negative thinking. The recent drought in Ethiopia that led to the hunger catastrophe was due to the Ethiopians negative thinking. Worst of all, the reason Kony is in power is Ugandans thinking negative.

Article criticizing "The Secret" and "The Law" of Attraction (http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/secrets_and_lies/)

Makes totally sense although they seem to have an answer for that too.take this example:

If a child is abused, does that mean the child intended it in some way?

No. It means YOU intended it. You intend child abuse to manifest simply by thinking about it. The more you think about child abuse (or any other subject), the more you’ll see it expand in your reality. Whatever you think about expands, and not just in the narrow space of your avatar but in all of physical reality.

I have no idea about regimes,leaders etc

Panopticon
04-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Makes totally sense although they seem to have an answer for that too.take this example:

If a child is abused, does that mean the child intended it in some way?

No. It means YOU intended it. You intend child abuse to manifest simply by thinking about it. The more you think about child abuse (or any other subject), the more you’ll see it expand in your reality. Whatever you think about expands, and not just in the narrow space of your avatar but in all of physical reality.

I have no idea about regimes,leaders etc

It's just the same as the other, just that every thought by every person affects their surroundings. If one thought affects one person, that same thought would affect others too; if I think of becoming the President of the U.S and I do become the President, then I would do it at the expense of other candidates, (didn't the other candidates think positively enough?), and I would affect much of the world.

But if the thought of every person affects other persons, then why is there only one winner of the presidential elections? Certainly, there must be a lot of people who thought "positively" that McCain would become president. He didn't. Could the thoughts of others really have affected the votes of other persons? Or are there other reasons to why McCain didn't win? One I can think of is that McCain wasn't as popular as Obama and therefore would receive less votes.

If every thought was realized, then there would be much more happening, and the world would certainly be much more obscure.

Sometimes ridiculous theories can be hard to disprove. There's nothing that proves it, but how do you disprove it? The only thing you can say is that it is ridiculous and that it's just not logical. Though if there never was any evidence, why should it be necessary to disprove it in the first place?

Heart of Oak
04-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I guess i'm thinking of thinking right now i guess.
Dose this make things happen.?:).

Panopticon
04-14-2012, 07:01 PM
I guess i'm thinking of thinking right now i guess.
Dose this make things happen.?:).

Interesting! I was thinking of replying to this post, and it happened! :eek: Eureka! The Law of attraction proved once and for all!

Hurrem sultana
04-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Interesting! I was thinking of replying to this post, and it happened! :eek: Eureka! The Law of attraction proved once and for all!

there you see:D

Caismeachd
04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
I think it just depends on the situation. I worked in sales for a few years and you have to "fake it" because if you're in even a slightly bad mood you will lose all your sales. That's why the best sales people you see on tv act like they're on crack cocaine as energetic retards. So whatever the context of the moment acting positive will be beneficial but I don't think it's beneficial for all circumstances and I think there are a lot of outside influences that can completely trample thinking/acting in a positive way and have no effect even if you do try to think positive.

Vasconcelos
04-14-2012, 07:45 PM
I certainly do...I just call it Gravity and Electromagnetism.

Kazimiera
04-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I do believe this.

If you are positive about life chances are that better things will happen to you or at least, you don't pay too much attention to the negative.

If you're grumpy and nasty, chances are good people will be grumpy and nasty in return. For example, my husband suffers from road rage. He swears and hoots and turns from a nice person into a maniac. Other drivers bother him, they show him zap signs.

I don't suffer from road rage. I carry on at the speed limit and enjoy the scenery. If an 80 year old geriatric with bad eyesight cuts in front of me, I let him go. I've never had people show me zap signs, and very rarely does someone hoot at me.

The difference between me and my husband is this: the traffic is the same as always, except he gets all worked up and sees a trip into town as a negative experience. I quite like the drive and for me it's positive.

I think life carries on the way it always does, but it's what you make of it that makes the difference.

The girl looking for a date never finds someone, because she is looking so hard she misses what is right in front of her.

The teenager who is having a pregnancy scare suddenly sees advertisements for diapers everywhere, sees many pregnant women, sees babies being pushed around in prams. It's not that there are more pregnant people in the world than there were before, it's just that the person is now noticing it because it's become a big factor in their lives. As soon as the pregnancy scare is over, the ads for diapers and baby wipes "disappear".

If you are a negative person, you will only see the negative around you. And as you focus more on the negative things, the more of them you will see.

The positive person experiences life differently. They notice when people are nice, they appreciate the sunset. They are more successful not because they are better than anyone else, it is just that they see more opportunities than the negative person does.

The pessimist says "It will never work. What's the use trying?"
The optimist says "It might just work. Let's try it."

Hurrem sultana
04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
that is exactly how i see it Loony

Hevneren
04-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Well yeah it kinda is in that way! believing in bad/good energy that comes from the universe.But according to them there is nothing magical there it is just part of the nature

If you walk around being scared a car will hit you,sooner or later you will be in a situation where you are in a big chance of getting hit by a car(that is the logic of this "theory")

Interesting. So, since you have a very negative views of Sweden and Scandinavia, and the men and women here, you're also inclined to have negative experiences here?

Hurrem sultana
04-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Interesting. So, since you have a very negative views of Sweden and Scandinavia, and the men and women here, you're also inclined to have negative experiences here?

stop stalking me dear Hev :D

i did not say i have negative views of Sweden i just do not agree with some things:rolleyes2:

The Alchemist
04-14-2012, 10:52 PM
A man becomes what he thinks. That's the biggest Buddha's truth. It's tru Bosnian, don't have doubts about it, it's us who create our future NOW, in the present moment.
I experimented it all on my skin, and it's all true.

Hurrem sultana
04-14-2012, 10:56 PM
A man becomes what he thinks. That's the biggest Buddha's truth. It's tru Bosnian, don't have doubts about it, it's us who create our future NOW, in the present moment.
I experimented it all on my skin, and it's all true.

Buddhism is full of knowledge :thumbs up

Phil75231
04-14-2012, 11:00 PM
I do believe this.

If you are positive about life chances are that better things will happen to you or at least, you don't pay too much attention to the negative.

If you're grumpy and nasty, chances are good people will be grumpy and nasty in return. For example, my husband suffers from road rage. He swears and hoots and turns from a nice person into a maniac. Other drivers bother him, they show him zap signs.

I don't suffer from road rage. I carry on at the speed limit and enjoy the scenery. If an 80 year old geriatric with bad eyesight cuts in front of me, I let him go. I've never had people show me zap signs, and very rarely does someone hoot at me.

The difference between me and my husband is this: the traffic is the same as always, except he gets all worked up and sees a trip into town as a negative experience. I quite like the drive and for me it's positive.

I think life carries on the way it always does, but it's what you make of it that makes the difference.

The girl looking for a date never finds someone, because she is looking so hard she misses what is right in front of her.

The teenager who is having a pregnancy scare suddenly sees advertisements for diapers everywhere, sees many pregnant women, sees babies being pushed around in prams. It's not that there are more pregnant people in the world than there were before, it's just that the person is now noticing it because it's become a big factor in their lives. As soon as the pregnancy scare is over, the ads for diapers and baby wipes "disappear".

If you are a negative person, you will only see the negative around you. And as you focus more on the negative things, the more of them you will see.

The positive person experiences life differently. They notice when people are nice, they appreciate the sunset. They are more successful not because they are better than anyone else, it is just that they see more opportunities than the negative person does.

The optimist says "It might just work. Let's try it."

I see your point - that we should keep the best realistic attitude possible, but I disagree with your rendering of it. It sounds just as delusional when the phrase goes "The optimist sees..." as it does when it's rendered "The pessimist sees...". It's a phenomenon called selective perception (IOW ______-colored glasses). That's why blind and double-blind tests are so important in psychology - our perceptions skewer reality, a documented fact.

To be truly accurate, it will be rendered

The optimist says "It will just work. Let's do it!."
The realist says "It might work, but let's consider this carefully, look at every angle, then assess the odds of success. Don't get your hopes up too high, but perhaps it will be a worthwhile risk".

dralos
04-14-2012, 11:08 PM
i don't believe in it,you only gonna achieve something by working for it not thinking about it,but i agree that thinking about the good results you may get,makes your work much easier but it may also dissapoint you so it's kinda two faced
i myself am a person who laughs alot thru life,i try to be very happy bcs if you think in a bad way,you ain't going to attract bad things but you're going to make bad things bcs your work is going to be hurt by it,and then your results are going to be bad so you may come to the conclusion that thinking bad attracts bad things while it's actually that it only makes you less efficient wich causes that your works or deeds to be less sufficient wich ends in a bad reaction

Virtuous
04-14-2012, 11:13 PM
i don't believe in it,you only gonna achieve something by working for it not thinking about it,but i agree that thinking about the good results you may get,makes your work much easier but it may also dissapoint you so it's kinda two faced
i myself am a person who laughs alot thru life,i try to be very happy bcs if you think in a bad way,you ain't going to attract bad things but you're going to make bad things bcs your work is going to be hurt by it,and then your results are going to be bad so you may come to the conclusion that thinking bad attracts bad things while it's actually that it only makes you less efficient wich causes that your works or deeds to be less sufficient wich ends in a bad reaction

Yeah, thinking negative is not good, but I often do it during a football match not to remain too disappointed...if we lose, that is :D.

Hevneren
04-14-2012, 11:14 PM
stop stalking me dear Hev :D

i did not say i have negative views of Sweden i just do not agree with some things:rolleyes2:

I'm not stalking you. :rolleyes2:

Piparskeggr
04-14-2012, 11:15 PM
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."

William Arthur Ward
1921 — 1997

dralos
04-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah, thinking negative is not good, but I often do it during a football match not to remain too disappointed...if we lose, that is :D.
yes that's a 'benefit' but like i said thinking pesimistic makes you play less efficient bcs you aren't worried like you should be so your results are going to be less

Virtuous
04-14-2012, 11:21 PM
yes that's a 'benefit' but like i said thinking pesimistic makes you play less efficient bcs you aren't worried like you should be so your results are going to be less

Pardon me, did I say we?I meant the team I'm siding with in a football match :P.

This is my policy after watching a game.

If we win:Beer for everyone!
If we lose:Beer for everyone!

Jokes aside, I agree with you...if you think negative during a football match or any other activity chances are that you won't play good and your team is more likely to lose..so yeah in a way this "theory" is right.

Supreme American
04-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Those most alike have the most enduring relationships. The idea that opposites attract is crap.