PDA

View Full Version : Which European nation is the best friend of your European nation?

Pages : [1] 2

Vojnik
04-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Which nation is the best friend of you're nation?

For Macedonia I pick Croatia.

9c1Utwt_yiA

XHR8BMP0gPs

V30Nrzcm8OA

Македонија и Хрватска засекогаш!
Makedonija i Hrvatska zauvjek!

:thumbs up

Daos
04-15-2012, 11:03 AM
No one, everyone hates us.

juizdelinha
04-15-2012, 11:08 AM
no particular nation.

Geminus
04-15-2012, 11:14 AM
No one, everyone hates us.

No one likes us, either... :(

Albion
04-15-2012, 11:17 AM
America isn't a European nation.

Graham
04-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Don't know about friends. England is like a marriage, we get into quarrels, teacups thrown. Ireland the brother we fight and drink with. Wales the brother we take the micky out of. Canada our Child.

Every other country is a business acquaintance. Some more friendly, some not.

Catrau
04-15-2012, 11:47 AM
I'll pick no one.

There are nations that overlap with us cultural or genetically or both and that's all. Personally I have friends everywhere but I don't believe in such a thing as nations being in love with each other and kissing in the mouth. It sounds weird.
On the other hand I couldn't hate a whole nation, people are basically the same everywhere, I don't believe in wide pan European different personality patterns from country to country. I don't believe political borders can shape that much the people unless under dictatorial rule, which isn't the case. I don't believe in cold and unpleasant Germans, in fact they are not although that's what they mostly think about themselves (as far as I understand) but I did encounter at least one nasty character there :p but it was just a bad example.. You can find more in, let's just say, a German's neighbor :D

I do not feel that the Portuguese look at other nations as their best friends, we look at all as just friends we aren't in love with anyone and we hope the others to do the same.

04-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Latvia. Surprise.

Flintlocke
04-15-2012, 11:48 AM
The Axis powers, Italy most of all.

Vojnik
04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
The Axis powers, Italy most of all.

You're stuck in the past.

Flintlocke
04-15-2012, 11:56 AM
You're stuck in the past.

In the 1997 riots it was the Italian prime minister Massimo D'Alema who flew in the middle of the crisis and reestablished a provisional government. Italy has vital economic interests in the area and proves it by being the biggest investor. That's not in the past.

Hurrem sultana
04-15-2012, 11:59 AM
non

Viljuska
04-15-2012, 12:38 PM
For Macedonia I pick Croatia.
Gee, I don't know.
Your nation (present model) is very young..
But you will learn after the unavoidable fight with "you know who".

dralos
04-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Gee, I don't know.
Your nation (present model) is very young..
But you will learn after the unavoidable fight with "you know who".
ahahahah serbs always looking for war:D
dude aren't you tards tired of war,why do you want your children to live in fear and hate,i really don't understand you people

Viljuska
04-15-2012, 12:49 PM
ahahahah serbs always looking for war:D
dude aren't you tards tired of war,why do you want your children to live in fear and hate,i really don't understand you people
This has nothing to do with Serbs, it's an internal matter of Macedonia.

gold_fenix
04-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Ireland??? really there aren't friends in these days, in this case perhaps "was enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Lithium
04-15-2012, 12:51 PM
There is no such nation, even our people living outside the country hate us. Hello Macedonia :D

dralos
This has nothing to do with Serbs, it's an internal matter of Macedonia.
but you're a serb and you're talking about war,it was directed to you

Vojnik
Viljuska, what's wrong with being close with Croats?

Pallantides
04-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Sweden and Denmark are our brothers, Iceland is our child and Finland is the weird cousin.

Viljuska
04-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Viljuska, what's wrong with being close with Croats?
I'm not saying it's wrong.
I'm just not so sure if they are your "friends".

Minesweeper
04-15-2012, 01:11 PM
We are pretty much hated by everybody, propaganda did it's job. :....

Greeks perhaps, they are the only nation that supports us almost 100%. They supported us even during the wars.

Vasconcelos
04-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Historically it would be England. However in the last 150 years it's been a relationship in which we really didn't benefit much, if anything at all, and the general perception we have today is that England views Portugal as being inferior and just a place to go to the beach.

Ironically, our oldest enemy is now our best friend, as it should, considering they are our only neighbours.

RoyBatty
04-15-2012, 01:32 PM
A guess, Ireland & Netherlands

Supreme American
04-15-2012, 01:43 PM
America isn't a European nation.

I'd say France probably hates us the most, though.

Styggnacke
04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Norway, Denmark and Finland. I like Denmark the most, but the opinion of who we're closest to differs a lot depending on the person you ask.

Corvus
04-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Germany, even if there are some rivalries esp. in terms
of sport, but in important matters they stick together.

Catrau
04-15-2012, 02:04 PM

I don't hate Serbs (or any ex-Yugoslavians) or feed some kind of dislike although I really would like to understand your "thing" with Iberians especially with the Spaniards, I don't get it. I'm thinking, as examples, about that shameful football game in Belgrade against Spain in 1978 if I'm correct (hard to forget in Spain) it was much more than just a tuff game or the records about Portuguese and Spaniards confronted by police and military when doing Interail in the Balkans while travelling to Greece (even a famous Portuguese pop singer once said on TV that the same happened to him, a kind of strange taste for public humiliation of foreigners). Is there something in history that I'm not aware of???

Propaganda did its job but you helped a lot too.

Virtuous
04-15-2012, 02:11 PM
No one loves Malta u.u

Comte Arnau
04-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Catalonia has no friends.

With England we share a common patron saint and an old parliamentary tradition, and the English supported us in the beginning, as they did with Portugal, yet they eventually betrayed us (How England betrayed the Catalans (http://larepublicacatalana.wordpress.com/2009/07/03/how-england-betrayed-the-catalanscom-anglaterra-va-trair-els-catalans/)).

Occitania is our traditional brother stateless nation and there has always been a certain brotherhood, at some times only in educated circles. After all, Occitan is the third official language in Catalonia (while it is not official in Occitania).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_V56chTBEG_g/S7OSsWfMriI/AAAAAAAAHRQ/f1fVEwr1FM0/s1600/n100000639667644_3847.jpg

http://blocgran.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/caoc-251x300.jpg

For obvious reasons, there has traditionally been some good relationship with a few close stateless nations of Europe (Basqueland, Scotland, Sardinia...), specially Ireland.

http://blocs.esquerra.cat/imatges/fot-bloc-la-mug-catalunya-euskadi-9-marc-2009.jpg

http://othemts.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/catalonia.jpg

http://agitacio.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/catalonia-ireland.jpg

Outside Europe, maybe Quebec and some other, but that's only at a politician/institucional level. Obviously there are associations in all countries where there is some Catalan diaspora (mainly in Europe, the Americas, North Africa and Australia).

Hevneren
04-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Sweden and Denmark are our brothers, Iceland is our child and Finland is the weird cousin.

Estonia is adopted, but don't tell him that. :D

Arne
04-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I detect a Grammar Fail.

of your European nation?

WitheredWhiteness
04-15-2012, 02:25 PM
My heart says: don't trust any of them, especially your neighbours :D

lepa
04-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Hungary.

Corvus
04-15-2012, 02:26 PM
I detect a Grammar Fail.

Dr. Arne has a trained eye ;)

Lábaru
04-15-2012, 02:27 PM
For obvious reasons, there has traditionally been some good relationship with a few close stateless nations of Europe (Basqueland, Scotland, Sardinia...), specially Ireland.

You forget Palestine and other muslims terrorist.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_M7mdaxIkafE/TShYtf7LFDI/AAAAAAAAAFI/TB9_sboufnE/CatalunyaPerPalestina.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5286/5290794412_a063e49004_z.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XheVIhn1lVk/TBdNLDwV0rI/AAAAAAAAAWs/Ta9Pyn41FSc/s1600/juny2010+cartell+palestina-700210.jpg

http://www.bcncultura.cat/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Cartell_Revolucions_Arabs_web.jpg

http://www.sodepau.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/xerrada_mail.gif

http://www.palestina.cat/web/

Are non-Europeans but are great allies.

Ouistreham
04-15-2012, 02:41 PM

American dumbness never ceases to amaze.

http://www.pewglobal.org/files/2010/06/269-01-01.png

http://www.pewglobal.org/files/2010/06/269-01-10.png

Mortimer
04-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Russia

Graham
04-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Catalonia has no friends.

With England we share a common patron saint and an old parliamentary tradition, and the English supported us in the beginning, as they did with Portugal, yet they eventually betrayed us (How England betrayed the Catalans (http://larepublicacatalana.wordpress.com/2009/07/03/how-england-betrayed-the-catalanscom-anglaterra-va-trair-els-catalans/)).

But they did help to form FC Barcelona :)

Leliana
04-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Austria is the best friend of Germany, Germany is the best friend of Austria. Finland and Estonia like us, too, and we like them. The Dutch are problematic because they have a complex and are Duits in denial. :P

04-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Do Germans really care about Estonia :rolleyes: or is it this affinity shown only in certain circles?

Comte Arnau
04-15-2012, 03:00 PM
You forget Palestine and other muslims terrorist.
Are non-Europeans but are great allies.

You do some nice efforts to shit on my nation, but people aren't dumb. Those links are not distinctive of my nation, but of radical left-wing extremists which can be found all over Europe, your nation included. You would only have a point in a certain growing relationship with northern African Amazighs, mainly from a cultural/institutional POV, and in any case a very recent not traditional relationship caused by immigration.

But they did help to form FC Barcelona :)

Oh, if we talk about FC Barcelona, sure! Although the Swiss and the Dutch should then be highly considered too. :p

Rastko
04-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Austria,Germany,Hungary and Macedonia.

USA is good strategical partner.

billErobreren
04-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh well:ohwell:, Since I no longer live in a European nation(yet strangely I don't feel bad about it), I'm gonna pretend as if my bony little ass never left Denmark, OK?

I'll say Norway, sibling & best friend(even though I feel as though we've screwed them over a few times), Sweden, the overexposed, more popular & prettier sibling, but we have each others backs.

Iceland's sort of the nephew Danes took custody over when Norway moved with Sweden after something called the Kalmar Union...& The Kingdom of Denmark & Norway & later gained emancipation Jena Malone-style cutting all ties with Denmark in 1944 because we had yet another "friendly" family visit from our nosy cousins to the south & kinda had our hands full to protect our nephew-adoptive child....I don't really think they're very fond of us after that(I know Björk doesn't take too kindly to the Danish) personally I love Iceland:grumpy:

as far as friendships go, we haven't won a war for centuries & not many have anything bad to say about Denmark...except for maybe Muslims

Lábaru
04-15-2012, 03:16 PM
You do some nice efforts to shit on my nation, but people aren't dumb. Those links are not distinctive of my nation, but of radical left-wing extremists which can be found all over Europe, your nation included. You would only have a point in a certain growing relationship with northern African Amazighs, mainly from a cultural/institutional POV, and in any case a very recent not traditional relationship caused by immigration.

Wrong, your views to select an ally is to have as you like to think "a problem with the oppressive state" and Palestine is a great ally of Cataluña, the only reason for not to choose Palestine is that are not Europeans.

Arne
04-15-2012, 03:17 PM
No one really likes us.
But if germany pays for Europe everyone like us.

Mortimer
04-15-2012, 03:19 PM
No one really likes us.
But if germany pays for Europe everyone like us.

i think germany is liked by some few countries like hungary and croatia, and some other former Axis Countries. Also France and USA maybe and maybe Russia.

Arne
04-15-2012, 03:23 PM
i think germany is liked by some few countries like hungary and croatia, and some other former Axis Countries. Also France and USA maybe and maybe Russia.

France the Country which is run by a greco-semite ?

Mortimer
04-15-2012, 03:25 PM
France the Country which is run by a greco-semite ?

i dont know france was a friend under schröder and chirac but everything can change, they were against Bush both

Comte Arnau
04-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Wrong, your views to select an ally is to have as you like to think "a problem with the oppressive state" and Palestine is a great ally of Cataluña, the only reason for not to choose Palestine is that are not Europeans.

Whatever you say, man. Everybody here knows you're not biased and that you love the Catalans. So much that you post even more about Catalonia than I do, and that's not easy!

Oh well:ohwell:, Since I no longer live in a European nation(yet strangely I don't feel bad about it), I'm gonna pretend as if my bony little ass never left Denmark, OK?

I'll say Norway, sibling & best friend(even though I feel as though we've screwed them over a few times), Sweden, the overexposed, more popular & prettier sibling, but we have each others backs.

Don't Danes and Norwegians have a rather love/hate relationship? :D

derLowe
04-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Austria,Germany,Hungary and Macedonia.

USA is good strategical partner.

"Danke Deutschland."

Enya
04-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Denmark and Norway, the best of the best. :heartbea: Finland is also a part of our little family, although not as close at the two first mentioned I guess.

Mortimer
04-15-2012, 03:33 PM
also what is meant with nation? the nationality as in citizenship/state you are in or the people you descend from as in your birthplace etc...?

i understood it as the second and said russia
if its the former, as austrian citizen i would say its hungary

edit: and germany

billErobreren
04-15-2012, 03:35 PM

Swedes & Danes do & people know more of this particular "love-hate relationship" which really isn't that brutal:D. if there is one it's probably them towards us. there aren't many reasons for a Dane to hate a Norwegian, Why do you think I wrote this "even though I feel as though we've screwed them over a few times"

Comte Arnau
04-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Swedes & Danes do & people know more of this particular "love-hate relationship" which really isn't that brutal:D. if there is one it's probably them towards us. there aren't many reasons for a Dane to hate a Norwegian, Why do you think I wrote this "even though I feel as though we've screwed them over a few times"

That's it, I've detected in my life some "healthy contempt" from Danes to Norwegians I wasn't aware about. :p

Lena
04-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Greeks perhaps, they are the only nation that supports us almost 100%. They supported us even during the wars.

Hate is a strong word, Mines :wink
It's just the cards we have in our hands and we play the best we can. Look at it this way- 'Ko se bije-taj se voli' :D

Corvus
04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
It's just the cards we have in our hands and we play the best we can. Look at it this way- 'Ko se bije-taj se voli' :D

Strache loves Serbia. If he comes to power Serbia will be on the same step as Germany :D

Geminus
04-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Do Germans really care about Estonia :rolleyes: or is it this affinity shown only in certain circles?

I don't think Germans generally know that much about the Baltic states ;)

The Lawspeaker
04-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Our Benelux partners and little brothers Belgium and Luxembourg with the Germans being another reasonably good partner (particularly when it comes to commerce and interstate management of the great rivers) that we can still never fully trust. Although West Germany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany) was very trustworthy and a fantastic economic partner, loyal friend and ally.

Peyrol
04-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Historical friends or modern economical partners?

As historical friends, i would say France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Greece (forget 1941...), Vatican, San Marino and often (but not always) Germany.

As modern economical partners? Germany, Russia, UK, France, Netherlands, Belgium, balkan states and Kazakhstan.

Thunor
04-15-2012, 04:13 PM
The US is not a an European nation in the normal sense (belonging to the European continent).

However, our best friend is obviously Britain. Historically, the French used to be very close friends as well (even though our relationship with France soured during the neo-con period, unfortunately).

Damião de Góis
04-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Probably Spain.

Rouxinol
04-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Actually none. I believe that in the Portuguese collective consciousness our nation's best friends are considered by most of us our former colonies in some ways - we influenced and shaped their culture to some extent and they speak our language. But ok, if I had to pick a nation in Europe it would have to be Spain, popularly promoted as "nuetros hermanos", though I don't really think most Portuguese feel much friends with Spain - nor the other way around. It would have some historical basis if I picked the United Kingdom (because of the Anglo-Portuguese alliance of 1373), but since some episodes regarded as betrayal I wouldn't pour much friendship on it.

Hess
04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
France: Nowadays, I would say Germany
Croatia: Austria

Minesweeper
04-15-2012, 04:45 PM
I don't hate Serbs (or any ex-Yugoslavians) or feed some kind of dislike although I really would like to understand your "thing" with Iberians especially with the Spaniards, I don't get it. I'm thinking, as examples, about that shameful football game in Belgrade against Spain in 1978 if I'm correct (hard to forget in Spain) it was much more than just a tuff game or the records about Portuguese and Spaniards confronted by police and military when doing Interail in the Balkans while travelling to Greece (even a famous Portuguese pop singer once said on TV that the same happened to him, a kind of strange taste for public humiliation of foreigners). Is there something in history that I'm not aware of???

Propaganda did its job but you helped a lot too.

I don't remember we ever had any ''problems'' with Iberians. Also, I'm not familiar with that particular event but anything's possible. :confused:

I can assure you, however, there is no animosity against Iberians here. In fact, Spaniards have very good reputation and Real Madrid is the most popular foreign club. I have friends who would bleed for Real, if necessary.

Btw, I recently posted a pic in Portuguese national football team jersey. ;)

Minesweeper
04-15-2012, 04:49 PM

You are right. Better expression would be disliked. In politics however, there are no emotions.

Onur
04-15-2012, 05:09 PM
If i take account of the official EU polls, then Hungary, Poland and Romania are the most friendly nations for Turkey but outside EU, probably Albania, Macedonia and Croatia.

Europa
04-15-2012, 05:29 PM
There is no such thing as friendship between nations.Everything is politics and all so called friendly relations are plain hypocrisy.However on personal level I have always concidered the Macedonians and the Serbs very close,but ironicly they hate us for whatever reason...

Cheers.

Rereg
04-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Hungary and Slovakia!

StonyArabia
04-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Bosina and Russia for Adyghea

Hevneren
04-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Austria is the best friend of Germany, Germany is the best friend of Austria. Finland and Estonia like us, too, and we like them. The Dutch are problematic because they have a complex and are Duits in denial. :P

Curious. Is it because of WWII?

Hevneren
04-15-2012, 05:38 PM

That's Swedes and Norwegians, and Swedes and Danes, and Swedes and Finns. Did you notice a common theme? :D

Olika
04-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Germany-France,Austria
Russia-Serbia,Belarus,Ukraine,Kazakhstan

Olika
04-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Adyghea this is Russia.

Grizzly
04-15-2012, 06:07 PM
For Albania(including Kosova) I guess it can be Switzerland. Although the Swiss may not think too highly of Albanians there is a large influx of Albanian immigrants in Switzerland. Look no further at the Switzerland national football team to see the role Albanians in that country.

Albion
04-15-2012, 06:15 PM
In addition to America I think Australia, Canada and NZ are probably close too, but there's lots of rivalry with the Aussies and Kiwis because they're forever trying to outdo us. So far they're winning in the sport and climate categories. ;)

Bari
04-15-2012, 06:27 PM
1. Italy
2. Germany
3. Turkey(If counted as European)

Italian Companies Interested in Investing in Albania’s Energy Sector
Ledion Veshi - 05.04.2012

About 70 Italian companies have expressed interest for investing in the energy sector, and water and waste treatment in Albania.

The Italian Embassy in Tirana in cooperation with the Albanian government organized a seminar this week to acquaint interested businesses with the potentials and advantages Albania offers, Tv Scan reports.

http://www.balkans.com/open-news.php?uniquenumber=141198

Albania is one of the countries that Italians and Turks choose to invest in. Italian companies mainly invest in Albania and the natural resources in the energy sector.

They put up money to contribute to the development of alternative energy. Turkish companies are also investing greatly in the metallurgical industry, minerals, real estate market, construction of roads and oil.

The Albanian government has tried to create a positive investment climate in the country. This contributes to a good return on investment in the economy of Albania and the different investors that help in the flow of money in their country.

These two countries invest so much in Albania seeing the potential of the country because of the low real estate prices.

This also creates the opportunity for overseas buyers to purchase properties in Albania.

http://estateinalbania.com/news/albania-became-investment-haven-turks-and-italian

Speaker of Parliament, Jozefina Topalli, meets the President of the German-Albanian economic association DAW, Hans-Jurgen Muller.
[ 23 January, 2012 ]

The increase of economic cooperation between Albania and Germany was the main topic of discussion between the Speaker of Parliament, Jozefina Topalli, and the President of the German-Albanian economic association DAW, at the same time counsel of honor in Hamburg, Hans-Jurgen Muller and the executive director of the association, Michael Alber.

The German Government is the most important bilateral donor for Albania in these 20 years, with a value of 347 million euro for 2000-2010. Regarding the scale of implementation of promised projects, it is unquestionably the most important donor.

German business is present with round 50 companies, mainly middle and small ones, and the Speaker of Parliament stressed that it is the moment to increase big German investments in Albania.

In the meeting it was also discussed on the real possibilities and potentials Albania offers for investments in energy, rural investments, textile, agro-business, light industry and tourism. It was also discussed on the best use of road and marine conjunctions of Albania with the region and Europe countries.

Mr. Muller expressed the conviction that this meeting would be an extraordinary chance for German investors to introduce the economic model of Albania, its economic growth, and the great potentials it offers for investments, by increasing this way their presence in Albania.

http://www.parlament.al/web/Speaker_of_Parliament_Jozefina_Topalli_meets_the_P resident_of_the_German_Albanian_economic_associa_1 3594_2.php

Catrau
04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't remember we ever had any ''problems'' with Iberians. Also, I'm not familiar with that particular event but anything's possible. :confused:

I can assure you, however, there is no animosity against Iberians here. In fact, Spaniards have very good reputation and Real Madrid is the most popular foreign club. I have friends who would bleed for Real, if necessary.

Btw, I recently posted a pic in Portuguese national football team jersey. ;)

I'm very happy to know that those "things" are history now. The truth is that I'm even happier because you know nothing about it. :thumbs up

Bardamu
04-15-2012, 07:57 PM

French and then Canadians. :D

purple
04-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Turkey

Ants
04-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Russia

http://filmjamblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/dumb.jpg

no, not really

purple
04-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Turkey

Europa
04-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Turkey

"Ay,кефиш ме щ'ти звънна"...:coffee:

Styggnacke
04-15-2012, 08:20 PM
That's Swedes and Norwegians, and Swedes and Danes, and Swedes and Finns. Did you notice a common theme? :D
You're just jealous of us. :cool:

Siegfried
04-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Hungary: Croatia & Poland

Germans: Austrians

For Romanians, I'm not really sure. Romanians don't really have any friends except for the Moldovans.

Lemon Kush
04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Israel

Mosov
04-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Greece, Cyprus, Russia.

Catrau
04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Ironically, our oldest enemy is now our best friend, as it should, considering they are our only neighbours.

Actually none... But ok, if I had to pick a nation in Europe it would have to be Spain, popularly promoted as "nuetros hermanos", though I don't really think most Portuguese feel much friends with Spain - nor the other way around.

Probably Spain.

I said before, none.
That's curious because, the trend here is clear, they are really our closest relatives and relatives tend to develop close ties between each other (as long as there's no kisses on the mouth..) I have trouble to see things this way although I have numerous Spanish friends. We lived "back to back" for 50 years under dictatorial regimes and that takes a heavy toll. Dictators have this tendency to put themselves in the top of their toes and look at the others from above and we did that to each other. People that still live in the past kept that bitterness inside themselves.
Things really changed. More than 30% of Portuguese didn't mind to embark in an Iberian adventure that's a lot of people. Youngsters from both countries look at each other the very same way. I had no trouble in socialize in Spain, I really felt home there, didn't had to do the slightest effort to make friends, and I made a lot. Spaniards are great lovers of life and friendship as we are. I doubt that there’s another pair of countries with the same number of marriages among their citizens (and now I don’t care about kisses on the mouth).
On the other hand, both economies are very embedded most of EU discussions interest the same way to both countries and together we have the same votes as France and one more than England or Italy, so together we are a heavyweight, that means that we have to work together.
I’ll gladly open an exception for "Nuestros Hermanos" :thumbs up

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w420/1Catrau/Duelo_iberico.jpg

Saludos.

2Cool
04-15-2012, 09:52 PM
^^^

I don't doubt what you say in terms of the general population, but politically they are some issues between Portugal and Spain. For one there's the situation of Olivença. Then there's the one where Spain doesn't respect Portugal's sovereignty over the Salvage Islands.

Until then the saying De Espanha, nem bom ventos nem bom casamentos still applies.

Catrau
04-15-2012, 10:17 PM
^^^

I don't doubt what you say in terms of the general population, but politically they are some issues between Portugal and Spain. For one there's the situation of Olivença. Then there's the one where Spain doesn't respect Portugal's sovereignty over the Salvage Islands.

Until then the saying De Espanha, nem bom ventos nem bom casamentos still applies.

The Olivença thing was a bad move by the Spaniards but they were being pushed by the French and in the end they didn't want to lose their face and we haven't made the necessary effort to bring back Olivença, we were tired of war against the French and bloody Napoleon we had to lick our wounds instead of starting another war for a village. Nowadays we don't care about that anymore, it's the right time for the Oliventinos regain their past freely and without complexes and it seems that's what they are doing. On the other hand you should know that although we do not want it back, there are no frontier marks in that border, this means that "de juri" those lands aren't really Spanish. Do I want to start a discussion with Spain about that?? No.
In relation to the low level flights over the Salvage Islands (two tiny spots in the middle of the atlantic half way between Medeira and Canary Islands) I think they should haven't done it especially because it was a recurrent procedure once in a while, but as soon as that was herd in Madrid it stopped right away. I read that those flights were made by Air Force Academy cadets. That's not a reason for bitterness, especially because it wasn't a known procedure at the higher levels.

2Cool
04-15-2012, 10:25 PM
The Olivença thing was a bad move by the Spaniards but they were being pushed by the French and in the end they didn't want to lose their face and we haven't made the necessary effort to bring back Olivença, we were tired of war against the French and bloody Napoleon we had to lick our wounds instead of starting another war for a village. Nowadays we don't care about that anymore, it's the right time for the Oliventinos regain their past freely and without complexes and it seems that's what they are doing. On the other hand you should know that although we do not want it back, there are no frontier marks in that border, this means that "de juri" those lands aren't really Spanish. Do I want to start a discussion with Spain about that?? No.
In relation to the low level flights over the Salvage Islands (two tiny spots in the middle of the atlantic half way between Medeira and Canary Islands) I think they should haven't done it especially because it was a recurrent procedure once in a while, but as soon as that was herd in Madrid it stopped right away. I read that those flights were made by Air Force Academy cadets. That's not a reason for bitterness, especially because it wasn't a known procedure at the higher levels.

About Salvage Islands:

8 April 1996 – Spanish F-18 fighters flew over the islands.

2 August 1996 – A helicopter Puma SA-330J from the Spanish Air Force simulated a landing on Selvagem Grande Island, committing a double infraction: violation of the Portuguese air space and flying below 200 m over the reserve.

16 October 1996 – Spanish F-18 fighters flew over the islands, but this time were filmed by the Portuguese RTP TV channel. Following these actions, the Portuguese Foreign Affairs Ministry protested.

May 1997 – The Portuguese Ministry of Defense signed an agreement with the Spanish government to restrain these actions.

1 August 1997 – The flybys occurred again. The Portuguese Foreign Affairs Ministry reminded the Spanish government of the agreement.

24 September 1997 – Spanish fighters again flew over the islands at low altitude. The Spanish ambassador to Portugal apologized for the actions. Portugal reinforced the islands with the Portuguese Navy.

23 June 2005 – Four Spanish fishing boats were captured 28 nm south from the islands, in the Portuguese Exclusive Economic Zone.

8 July 2005 – One of the guards in Selvagem Grande Island and a biologist came face to face with a group of Spanish fishermen. A group of 10
Portuguese marines were placed on the island for a month.[9]

June 2007 – One Spanish fighter again flew over the islands at low altitude.[10]

Olivença should have been given back according to the Treaty. No war would have been required.

Damião de Góis
04-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Olivença should have been given back according to the Treaty. No war would have been required.

I think it's shameless that the spanish refused to give it back after the peninsular war was over. That's what gypsies do.

StonyArabia
04-16-2012, 04:48 AM
Adyghea this is Russia.

We are a republic and a subject of Russia indeed, but we are also different have our own langauge, culture and tradition, as well it's has it's own autonomy. For example many Adyghe wanted independence, but since things have improved such sentiments have died and the republic is doing well for itself. I do hope that one day Adyghea might be independent but with close friendship and alliance with Russia despite the history of the events that have transpired.

Sarmatian
04-16-2012, 05:26 AM

Your claim is unfair. I don't know a single Russian who hate Serbians.

Russian politics are bi***es you shouldn't trust. At the same time ordinary people in Russia feel sincere sympathy for Serbia. They're just too busy sorting out all that sh*t created by them politics :mad:

Olika
04-16-2012, 02:21 PM
We are a republic and a subject of Russia indeed, but we are also different have our own langauge, culture and tradition, as well it's has it's own autonomy. For example many Adyghe wanted independence, but since things have improved such sentiments have died and the republic is doing well for itself. I do hope that one day Adyghea might be independent but with close friendship and alliance with Russia despite the history of the events that have transpired.
in Adyghea live 63 % Russians and 25,2 % Adyghes. and this is stupid talk that Adyghea friend for Russia of course...because Adyghea it is Russia.

Waidewut
04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I can't choose between Lithuania and Estonia. In the future the scale will turn more towards one of them, but this will probably be dependent on whether Latvians will want to join the Nordic club or not.

Aramis
04-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Who else but Germany and Austria.

Danke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danke_Deutschland_%28song%29)... :D

Rereg
04-16-2012, 02:48 PM
http://koszulki.sklep.pl/img/p/4/2/0/420-large.jpg

:cool:

Lena
04-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Russian politics are bi***es you shouldn't trust. At the same time ordinary people in Russia feel sincere sympathy for Serbia. They're just too busy sorting out all that sh*t created by them politics :mad:

Correct. People are often confusing disgraceful Yeltzin's politic and current situation and equalizing it without a solid base for such a thing.

One more friendly nation to us, Serbs, is Slovakia :)

Minesweeper
04-16-2012, 03:24 PM

I agree. Russian people were always on our side, even though the government was not always so friendly, but politics knows no emotions.:)

04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I can't choose between Lithuania and Estonia. In the future the scale will turn more towards one of them, but this will probably be dependent on whether Latvians will want to join the Nordic club or not.

Latvians and Lithuanians could definitely develop closer relationships (in a way that regular people would notice it). It's not like there are many Balt countries around, why we should recede from each other. Even if let's say Latvia ends up as a nothern country and Lithuania - central.

riverman
04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
As an American I would say England. However, I'm very critical of many decisions made by our government concerning foreign policy, frankly it seems as if many politicians are only emphasizing foreign relations when it seems like a good photo-op, or out of appeasement.

Vasconcelos
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
It's pointless to talk about Olivença now, the whole situation happened 200 years ago and should be resolved on the following years. Our politicians (as usual) were to weak to impose their claims. If I'm not mistaken, Portugal took Uruguay from Spain at the time in retaliation, and it was part of Portuguese south American territories when Brazil was given it's independence.

Now a lot of people from Olivença have their roots in other parts of Spain, if somehow a referendum was to take place barely no one would want to join Portugal (and I don't blame them).

And let's not even talk about the "incidents" about Ilhas Selvagens..sure, they are ours, but heres what they look like:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2442/3755419220_8e8f948d48_o.jpg
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/1920x1280/2815168.jpg
http://www.meteopt.com/galeria/data/515/Selvagens2.jpg

It's like Perejil, except it's a group of small turds in the middle of the ocean, so it's no wonder military aicraft fly over the island. They shouldn't, but it doesn't really matter because the airmen aren't doing it provocatively.

Damaging the Portuguese-Spanish relations because of this is a very bad idea.

2Cool
04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
It's pointless to talk about Olivença now, the whole situation happened 200 years ago and should be resolved on the following years. Our politicians (as usual) were to weak to impose their claims. If I'm not mistaken, Portugal took Uruguay from Spain at the time in retaliation, and it was part of Portuguese south American territories when Brazil was given it's independence.

Now a lot of people from Olivença have their roots in other parts of Spain, if somehow a referendum was to take place barely no one would want to join Portugal (and I don't blame them).

And let's not even talk about the "incidents" about Ilhas Selvagens..sure, they are ours, but heres what they look like:

[IMG]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2442/3755419220_8e8f948d48_o.jpg[/IMG ]
[IMG]http://static.panoramio.com/photos/1920x1280/2815168.jpg[/IMG ]
[IMG]http://www.meteopt.com/galeria/data/515/Selvagens2.jpg[/IMG ]

It's like Perejil, except it's a group of small turds in the middle of the ocean, so it's no wonder military aicraft fly over the island. They shouldn't, but it doesn't really matter because the airmen aren't doing it provocatively.

Damaging the Portuguese-Spanish relations because of this is a very bad idea.

Uruguay has nothing to do with Olivença. It was always a volatile region. many of its areas would switch between Spain and Portugal throughout history. Read here about the invasion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luso-Brazilian_invasion

The Selvagens islands are considered a natural reserve. The Spaniards also are doing more than just flying over them, they partake in illegal fishing. The flights are also not just random innocent flights either, they are flights designed to test Portuguese sovereignty over them (most probably due to possible EEZ expansion). Why else would they fly military jet planes at low altitude over them?

Vasconcelos
04-19-2012, 03:54 PM
The Spaniards also are doing more than just flying over them, they partake in illegal fishing.
Private sector activity, you can ask the Spanish Government to enforce fishermen don't go there, but you can't blame the Gvnt for the actions until you show us that it was a promoted action.

The flights are also not just random innocent flights either, they are flights designed to test Portuguese sovereignty over them (most probably due to possible EEZ expansion). Why else would they fly military jet planes at low altitude over them?

I'm not a Ejército del Aire airmen so I do not know why they do it, and neither do you, anything we might say is pure speculation.
It's obvious they shouldn't do it, but the islands are internationally recognized as ours, so any economical benefit that might come out of possessing them will fall on our side, including EEZ expansion.

Aviane
04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
In ancient history it would be that here in England would be shared with France due to 1066 being the Norman invasions.

Further in ancient history would be a possibility of the Belgae in the Southeastern parts of this country.

Another one would be the Anglo Saxons.

Other close contacts would be Brittany (due to the Britons going down to Northwest France).

The name Alba in Scotland is from Albanians with a possible connection.

Ireland and the rest of Britain is still primarly shares alot of history since from the beginning.

I feel all these places that came into Irish and British history are all connectioned.

dralos
04-19-2012, 05:01 PM
In ancient history it would be that here in England would be shared with France due to 1066 being the Norman invasions.

Further in ancient history would be a possibility of the Belgae in the Southeastern parts of this country.

Another one would be the Anglo Saxons.

Other close contacts would be Brittany (due to the Britons going down to Northwest France).

The name Alba in Scotland is from Albanians with a possible connection.

Ireland and the rest of Britain is still primarly shares alot of history since from the beginning.

I feel all these places that came into Irish and British history are all connectioned.
aviane,my celtic brother:)

Prince Carlo
04-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Hmmm. Croatia and Albania.

Yaroslav
04-20-2012, 02:55 AM
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/271/3/b/russia___serbia_by_kraftzarco-d2zohui.jpg

Yaroslav
04-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Other countries would be Armenia and Bulgaria.

Sarmatian
04-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Other countries would be Armenia and Bulgaria.

You forgot Greeks.

When I was living at Cyprus Greko-Cypriots openly told us they are very happy to see as many Russians as possible. They sincerely believed only Russians can save them from Turks.

Hurrem sultana
04-25-2012, 12:55 AM

we love you too :thumb001::D

Hurrem sultana
04-25-2012, 01:31 AM
for Bosnia:

USA
Turkey
Chechnya
Germany
Austria

Γέλως
04-25-2012, 01:39 AM
for Bosnia:

USA
Turkey
Chechnya
Germany
Austria
+Saudi Arabia

Hurrem sultana
04-25-2012, 01:43 AM
+Saudi Arabia

i would love to have Saudi millionaires as friends :coffee:

i forgot to add

Malaysia(although not european,but still friendly)

ficuscarica
04-25-2012, 10:34 AM
for Bosnia:
the green areas:
http://www.islam101.com/images/Muslim_Distribution_map.jpg

fixed.

Rereg
04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
for Bosnia:

USA
Turkey
Chechnya
Germany
Austria

Chechenya isn't country, it's part of Russian Federation.

Hurrem sultana
04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
fixed.

wow burma has muslims:coffee:

Tel Errant
04-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Latin countries. Friends and family.

Azalea
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Bosnia
Gagauzia
Tatarstan

(No, Turkey is not Europe but the countries above are)

brunette
04-25-2012, 01:00 PM
At the moment I am living in England and our favourite country ( although not really a European country ) is America.

If I had to choose it would be any Eurpean countries against Israel. Like Serbia Greece Russia any of them.

Aramis
04-25-2012, 01:07 PM
At the moment I am living in England and our favourite country ( although not really a European country ) is America.

If I had to choose it would be any Eurpean countries against Israel. Like Serbia Greece Russia any of them.

Israel is a supporter of Serbia and of Republika Srpska. And going by my expirience the Serbs themselves don't have much despise for Israelites either.

Hurrem sultana
04-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Bosnia
Gagauzia
Tatarstan

:thumb001:

Padre Organtino
04-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Other "Russophobic marionettes of the US" (TM):p

Kanuni
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Italy and Germany.

brunette
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Israel is a supporter of Serbia and of Republika Srpska. And going by my expirience the Serbs themselves don't have much despise for Israelites either.

I've never heard of this prove this? They seen to be Anti Western and extremely Anti Nato.

Tel Errant
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
«QB10T : quels sont les pays autres que (NOTRE PAYS) auxquels vous vous sentez le plus attaché ?» (http://coulmont.com/blog/2011/04/03/des-cartes-et-des-reseaux-et-un-mystere/)
(Eurobarometer 73.3, New Europeans)

http://coulmont.com/vordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/eurobarometre-net.png

Le reste du blog est très intéressant.

Capricornus
04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Bosnia
Gagauzia
Tatarstan

Why?

Raikaswinþs
04-25-2012, 04:06 PM
We don't have a lot of friends. Probably Italians are the closest thing to Euro pals that Iberians have. (Although Spaniards are more fiercely hated while Portuguese are treated with stupid paternalism, which is funny ,having been one of the first global empires and most influencial european nations in history)

Brits and Germans hate us to bits as so does the French. Its a generalisation of course. Many gabachos, guiris and kartoflens are actually inflatuated by us. Which I find odd. They think we are like the far east in the west. Ah..that Hemingway dude... :D

Graham
04-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Brits and Germans hate us to bits as so does the French.

Brits are cool with Spain, otherwise where would we go on holiday for the sunshine and sangria?

Raikaswinþs
04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Brits are cool with Spain, otherwise where would we go on holiday for the sunshine and sangria?

That's the only reason Brits come to Spain (again a generalisation with a few exceptions). Not that they like Spanish people or Spain. Otherwise they wouldn't live in their Litte Britain gethoes and would try to make local friends and learn the language or visit other regions.

They are starting to plague other european coastal areas now that is cheaper (Croatia, I'm looking at you!). And they are starting to speculate with real state, binge drinking, litoral destroying , dealing with local corrupt administrations in the same fashion that they did in Spain.

But Croatia is still not entirely developed in the way Spain is...so I guess they have a few more years to prevent the disaster

Catrau
04-25-2012, 04:54 PM
«QB10T : quels sont les pays autres que (NOTRE PAYS) auxquels vous vous sentez le plus attaché ?» (http://coulmont.com/blog/2011/04/03/des-cartes-et-des-reseaux-et-un-mystere/)

Interesting, this means that Portuguese feel more attached to France than to Spain? I don't think so.

Vasconcelos
04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Interesting, this means that Portuguese feel more attached to France than to Spain? I don't think so.

Yea, only if the sample was taken from people whose family went to France in the 60s and/or afterwards.

Arrow Cross
04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Croatia and Poland, both of them Slavic to boot. Irony, delicious irony.

Graham
04-25-2012, 04:59 PM
That's the only reason Brits come to Spain (again a generalisation with a few exceptions). Not that they like Spanish people or Spain. Otherwise they wouldn't live in their Litte Britain gethoes and would try to make local friends and learn the language or visit other regions.

Do you see much difference between the Scots/Brits in Spain than the ones over here? We do have social problems. But I've noticed that the Brits that live in areas like Spain are weirder. Shoddy, spoilt folk.

Dacul
04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Weird enough but for Romania Germany cares most and 2nd after them seems to be Italy and USA.

Rødskjegg
04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Which European nation is the best friend of you're European nation?

You're = you are. I am not a European nation :O

But I would say that the Scandinavian countries get along rather well.

Rereg
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM

I think this graph is only political correctness crap.

Aramis
04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
I've never heard of this prove this? They seen to be Anti Western and extremely Anti Nato.

You seem to confuse Jews with the state of Israel, and Israel with the US.

Unlike the US and most European states, Israel hasn't recognised Kosovo yet, and does not plan doing so in forseeable future.

Here are some news as well. All on serbian, but in case your are interested in a translation, let me know via pm.

http://www.vesti.rs/Vesti/Izrael-podrzava-Srbiju-i-ocekuje-njenu-podrsku-2.html

http://www.nezavisne.com/novosti/drustvo/Uskoro-saradnja-RS-i-Izraela-u-oblasti-turizma-138157.html

http://www.kip.ba/2012/04/23/izraelski-ministar-nazvao-republiku-srpsku-drzavom-mvp-bih-suti/

http://www.blic.rs/Vesti/Republika-Srpska/285757/Republika-Srpska-glavni-adut-Izraela-pred-glasanje-u-UN

dXmrdeIrcSU

brunette
04-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Fine then they aren't Anti Jewish. I'm talking about Zionists.

Sultan Suleiman
04-25-2012, 09:17 PM
We Bosnians never had any friends, only acquaintances. But we never turned down any help :)

dralos
04-25-2012, 09:24 PM
We Bosnians never had any friends, only acquaintances. But we never turned down any help :)
you have your muslimbrothers:D

Sultan Suleiman
04-25-2012, 09:36 PM
you have your muslimbrothers:D

I am a Hamzi, so while you are still adhering to hadiths and Ijima we can't be brothers... You filthy Sunni heretic :D

dralos
04-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I am a Hamzi, so while you are still adhering to hadiths and Ijima we can't be brothers... You filthy Sunni heretic :D
i dont have a clue what you're talking about but if you're saying i follow these dudes then nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:D
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zHNHFnXzjyE/TacaAsRrtiI/AAAAAAAAAlA/55dQYd3Zu_w/s1600/islamic_rage.jpg

i follow this:D
http://www.scenicreflections.com/files/Albanian%20Eagle%20Lady%20Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg

Raikaswinþs
04-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Do you see much difference between the Scots/Brits in Spain than the ones over here? We do have social problems. But I've noticed that the Brits that live in areas like Spain are weirder. Shoddy, spoilt folk.

It's just the deeds of mass migration. A few thousand brits scattered through the whole peninsula is ok, even desirable. Hundreds of thousands of them concentrated in certain litoral and insular areas is a downright invasion, and can never bring anything good except for the few hands that, as usual, get the big dollars out of it. The irony is, there aren't even many spanish workers in those areas. Most of the jobs are taken by other mass migrants fromeastern europe, africa, latin america etc. (who else would accept the conditions that those negreros offer? :S)

Sad thing is, mass migration always sends the worst of each home abroad, never the best. The 5-10% of scum that exist in every country tend to be the firsts to mass migrate.

That applies to Brits in Spain and likewise to Spaniards in the UK (number is increasing rapidly, estimated 300.000 spaniards now in UK, still far from the million+ britons in Iberia but...a load more than there were when I first came in 7 years ago)

Foxy
04-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Italy's historical friends are: Germany (hate & love), Spain, Greece, Ireland and France. But I think that among all these nations Italy has a weak for Germany. A relation celebrated by many artists from both the countries.

http://ilmiocanto_libero.ilcannocchiale.it/mediamanager/sys.user/45112/overbeck_italia_germania.jpg

You asked only for European nations, but Italy has also a long history of mutual respect with China. To don't mention the USA that have a lot of militar bases in Italy and about 16.000 soldiers here.

In the 1997 riots it was the Italian prime minister Massimo D'Alema who flew in the middle of the crisis and reestablished a provisional government. Italy has vital economic interests in the area and proves it by being the biggest investor. That's not in the past.

Do you want D'Alema in Greece? We can send him you as a friendship gift for a period sine termine. And we want nothing in change! :wink

Geminus
04-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Italy's historical friends are: Germany (hate & love), Spain, Greece, Ireland and France. But I think that among all these nations Italy has a weak for Germany. A relation celebrated by many artists from both the countries.

I've read a quote that Italians respect Germans but don't love them, and Germans love Italians but don't respect them ;)

Methmatician
04-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Australia: America or maybe the UK (specifically the English)

Bosnia: I don't think Bosnia has friends, maybe Turkey, but they don't really care about Bosnia. In medieval times I guess it was Croatia or Serbia, but that relationship is screwed now :D

Aces High
04-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Germans,strange as it may seem....the Germans are the people who we English are most alike in humour,looks inventiveness and general character.......not to mention warlike ferocity.

I always rememeber watching an old film of some German prisoners of war in Norfolk working in the fields,they marched back to their barracks past some old boys sat outside a pub who felt sorry for them and offered them a beer.
One of the old boys talked about how they were great lads and knew how to work and added with a twinkle in his eye......"Arfter all....a German is just an Englishman without a sense of humour".

True.

Geminus
04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Germans,strange as it may seem....the Germans are the people who we English are most alike in humour,looks inventiveness and general character.......not to mention warlike ferocity.

I've read books from Ernst Jünger and von Richthofen who fought in WW I and both spoke of the English as honorable enemies :thumb001:
Whereas after Germany was united a real cooperation between the German and the British Empire was almost impossible, as Germany was the rising power and the British tried to preserve their empire...

Albion
04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
I've read books from Ernst Jünger and von Richthofen who fought in WW I and both spoke of the English as honorable enemies :thumb001:
Whereas after Germany was united a real cooperation between the German and the British Empire was almost impossible, as Germany was the rising power and the British tried to preserve their empire...

Yes, rivalry between superpowers is the norm. Look at Carthage and Rome, America and USSR and now America and China.

The British and French Empires had a lot of rivalry but then Germany and the USA came along too.

Libertas
04-30-2012, 01:32 PM

I always rememeber watching an old film of some German prisoners of war in Norfolk working in the fields,they marched back to their barracks past some old boys sat outside a pub who felt sorry for them and offered them a beer.
One of the old boys talked about how they were great lads and knew how to work and added with a twinkle in his eye......"Arfter all....a German is just an Englishman without a sense of humour".

True.

The English are more like the Dutch than the Germans.

Aces High
04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
The English are more like the Dutch than the Germans.

In a sense yes,the slobby habits the Dutch have the English also have.....like you will see cars parked everywhere in Holland,nearly in the canals and you will also see the same sort of slobbishness or lack of fastidiousness that the Germans dont have.
Yet the Dutch dont have that real "killer streak" in them that the English and the Germans have and for me that tips the balance.

The English and Germans have the love of high culture yet in the blink of an eye and when threatened they can turn into stone cold methodical killers......and i dont see this in any other European nations.

Beethoven
05-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Canada is 3rd biggest country with ukrainian population after Ukraine and Russia. Also Ukraine allys and friends is Poland,Georgia,Azerbaijan

I dont think that some one hates Ukraine expect 1 single country in the world.

Estonians are obviusly must be friends of Finland. Finland is probably fans of Sweden. Norway,Iceland, and Denmark must be fans of each other.

No one likes us, either... :(
Russians and Ukrainians are big Germany fans, for unknown reason.Maybe Estonians also.

And i dont understant it, because germans doesnt care about Russia.

http://www.pewglobal.org/files/2010/06/269-01-01.png
wow didnt know that americans love Polish that much :)

Im surprised that USA is best friend of England. Cas 60% ppl in England is atheists and 90% ppl in USA is christians.

Rereg
05-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Russians and Ukrainians are big Germany fans, for unknown reason.Maybe Estonians also.

And i dont understant it, because germans doesnt care about Russia.

Indeed it's comical if your information is true because Germans always despise Slavs.

wow didnt know that americans love Polish that much :)

Please don't be silly, usually Americans and Poles are neutral towards each other.

Lithium
05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
I don't think that such nation exists :D

Beethoven
05-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Indeed it's comical if your information is true because Germans always despise Slavs.

My information is very true, even in this topic russians said that their best friend is "Germany"

On the internet i always seen many germans insulting russians and Russia. And i seeing evryday russian ppl saying "Germany is our best friends and brothers forever" or something like that.

Most Russians also think that Germans love Russians and Russia and they think that Germans feel sorry for killing russians in WW2.

I dont get it at all, because i think Germans doesnt care about Russia.

Rereg
05-01-2012, 07:02 PM
My information is very true, even in this topic russians said that their best friend is "Germany"

On the internet i always seen many germans insulting russians and Russia. And i seeing evryday russian ppl saying "Germany is our best friends and brothers forever" or something like that.

Most Russians also think that Germans love Russians and Russia and they think that Germans feel sorry for killing russians in WW2.

I think it's funny effects of Putinist propaganda but also We shouldn't forget that Germany and Soviet Union were allies in 1939-1941.

Olika
05-01-2012, 07:03 PM

this a nonsense.I know that for Russians best friends Serbs then Belarusians,Ukrainians,Armenian,Kazakhs and etc.

Lisa
05-01-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.levada.ru/21-02-2012/vneshnyaya-politika-rossii-otnoshenie-k-drugim-stranam

Beethoven
05-01-2012, 07:38 PM
I think it's funny effects of Putinist propaganda but also We shouldn't forget that Germany and Soviet Union were allies in 1939-1941.
I swear i seen this sitatuion thousand times on the internet and even in real life.

I think its because many russians doesnt know much about other Western countrys like Norway,Canada,UK,Denmark,Austria etc. So they think that Germany and USA is best countrys in the world. (Germany is not bad country, but still not best in the world according GDP per capita) http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8025/gdpfromwikipedia2010.jpg
( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita )

They know something about Germany because of german cars that popular in many countrys and WW2 history. Also many jews and russians with jewish ancestry migrating from Russia to Germany. So russians have jewish friends that talking to them how Germany is good. Its like ppl in African countrys that wearing t-shirts with american flag.

(sry for my bad english)

Lisa
05-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I swear i seen this sitatuion thousand times on the internet and even in real life.

I think its because many russians doesnt know much about other Western countrys like Norway,Canada,UK,Denmark,Austria etc. So they think that Germany and USA is best countrys in the world. (Germany is not bad country, but still not best in the world according GDP per capita) http://content.foto.mail.ru/mail/zedrick_green/_answers/i-545.jpg

They know something about Germany because of german cars that popular in many countrys and WW2 history. Also many jews and russians with jewish ancestry migrating from Russia to Germany. So russians have jewish friends that talking to them how Germany is good. Its like ppl in African countrys that wearing t-shirts with american flag.

(sry for my bad english)

Dude you're just idiot!:rolleyes2: In Russia respected the Germans because they are strong and have self-esteem.

Beethoven
05-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Русофобия на культурно-бытовой почве, возникшая на Западе вследствие представления о своём культурном и экономическом превосходстве. Как правило, подобное отношение в западных странах (Германия, США, Великобритания) и некоторых восточноевропейских (Польша[26]) основывается на представлении о русских как о «варварах» со слабо развитой материальной культурой и приверженностью к автократической власти, противопоставляемой демократическому управлению[27]. С падением «железного занавеса» это мнение вновь актуализировалось как негативное отношение к русским и русскоязычным мигрантам (связанное с их вовлечённостью в определённые сферы криминальной деятельности — проституция, русская мафия).

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Русофобия

from Russian wikipedia.

Im not saying that Germans hate Russians.( Expect WW2,random ppl on the internet,Cold War and Berlin Wall situations). And i dont think that Germans love Russians either.

But im sure that Ukraine and Russia is full of Germany and German culture fans.I seen thousand times both internet and real life ppl from Russia saying something like "I Love Germany" "Germany and Russia is allys forever" etc

(sry for my bad eng)

Geni
01-30-2013, 05:52 PM
the natural Albanian brother is the Greek people...so say I.Qemali the lider of indipendence...and is true..(personly i am pro Italo-Germanic)

Twistedmind
01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Greece and Russia :)

Konrad
01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Sweden.
Presence of strong Nordic element in Albania makes us brothers.

Geni
01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Greece and Russia :)

Look friend..you are friend because you are not close .. if not it would be another story believe me..look the problems Grek&Macedonian,Bulgaria albania,turchia..all neighbo.. Grece...

Geni
01-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Sweden.
Presence of strong Nordic element in Albania makes us brothers.

:picard2:....Man ..

RussiaPrussia
01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Русофобия

from Russian wikipedia.

Im not saying that Germans hate Russians.( Expect WW2,random ppl on the internet,Cold War and Berlin Wall situations). And i dont think that Germans love Russians either.

But im sure that Ukraine and Russia is full of Germany and German culture fans.I seen thousand times both internet and real life ppl from Russia saying something like "I Love Germany" "Germany and Russia is allys forever" etc

(sry for my bad eng)

these times are over russians dont care about germany that much anymore. They only care about technology but they dont like german culture anymore as they used to have.

Partizan
01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Bosnia. I wish I could say Hungary as well, despite Turanism is quite old in Hungarian politics and Turkish pan-Turkist poets like H.Nihal Atsız glorified Hungarian resistance in 1956, we are geographically far away and evolved in different ways. Though there is still hope, if JOBBIK will take over.

Archduke
01-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Bulgarians consider only Slavic nations as friends, mostly Serbs and Russians.

Personally i would add Albania and Hungary.

inactive_member
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
these times are over russians dont care about germany that much anymore. They only care about technology but they dont like german culture anymore as they used to have.

There is a specific group of people that would love any country or society. People on the Internet that dearly love Germany or UK failed to integrate into German society or British society. I am not talking about first generation migrants, I am talking about their children. They don't care about German culture or German society. They care about the higher living standards Germany offers them. I personally could not have lived such a life being not part of the society and I don't judge these people. But I am scepital of their confession on the Internet. Those who shout the loudest usually mean the least.

Permafrost
01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Nobody, we're on our own.

There are nations who say that sympathize with us and so forth, but "friendship" is a big word.

Dandelion
01-30-2013, 08:05 PM
The Ugly Dutchlings undoubtedly.

h8b_et-rfyM

Pontios
01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Serbia!!!
http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/9/8c65c95098fdaf4d0a0de9f4728eb53c/l.jpg

Garbo
01-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Portugal and Italy in that order

Pobre Diablo
01-30-2013, 08:32 PM

:(

Lemon Kush
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM

Why only Slavic nations? Most Slavs like Serbians and Macedonians hate us. Bulgaria has been in good relations with non Slavic nations like Germany. Having fought on their side in both World Wars and having good trade relations with them. One of Bulgaria's major importers is Germany. Also what has Russia done for us besides having us under Communist rule for many years and leaving the country poor?

Smaug
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Italy, France and Portugal, at least based on what I've seen. Yeah I know Brazil is not in Europe but I wanted to post.

RussiaPrussia
01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Why only Slavic nations? Most Slavs like Serbians and Macedonians hate us. Bulgaria has been in good relations with non Slavic nations like Germany. Having fought on their side in both World Wars and having good trade relations with them. One of Bulgaria's major importers is Germany. Also what has Russia done for us besides having us under Communist rule for many years and leaving the country poor?

bulgaria is still poor under eu, you can give people a different system but they wont become different people.

bimo
01-30-2013, 10:14 PM

dp93 politically friends and real friends are two different things , other slavs in real life (especially russian and ukrainians) like bulgarians and consider them brothers , i want add to the friend list also romania hungary and maybe albania
i know a lot of russians and ukrainians and all of them have only good words for bulgaria and bulgarians , same go for other slav (maybe except macedonians like you said) , instead germans and other western euro mostly don't know nothing about bulgaria and mock bulgarians thinking they are a bunch of gipsy or poor country full of whores and criminals
and not all russians are communist

bimo
01-30-2013, 10:15 PM
bulgaria is still poor under eu, you can give people a different system but they wont become different people.

what's your point , bulgarian are stupid to you ? :mad:

Lemon Kush
01-30-2013, 10:34 PM
dp93 politically friends and real friends are two different things , other slavs in real life (especially russian and ukrainians) like bulgarians and consider them brothers , i want add to the friend list also romania hungary and maybe albania
i know a lot of russians and ukrainians and all of them have only good words for bulgaria and bulgarians , same go for other slav (maybe except macedonians like you said) , instead germans and other western euro mostly don't know nothing about bulgaria and mock bulgarians thinking they are a bunch of gipsy or poor country full of whores and criminals

There are many German tourists that visit Bulgaria every year and they are friendly people. They respect Bulgarians and are delighted to visit Bulgaria. Most Germans and other Western Euros don't think of Bulgarians in such a way. Also out of all the Slavs and Slavic speaking countries Bulgarians are the LEAST Slavic looking and have the least amount of Slavic blood compared to Serbs, Russians, Poles, etc... We are mostly united through language similar to Latin Americans and Hispanics.

el22
01-30-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm more inclined to think of relations between nations as between rivals/enemies, rather than friends. However having common enemies with someone could be considered as some sort of friendship.

Lemon Kush
01-30-2013, 10:45 PM

And dude other Slavs like Serbs and Russians are the ones who think of Bulgarians as gypsies, criminals, whores, etc... Haven't you been reading what some of the users on this forum have been saying?!?!?!!? Which is ironic because Serbs aren't very distant to Bulgarians genetically when compared to Northwest Europeans. I think Germans and other Western Euros don't have any particular feeling towards Bulgarians and Bulgaria, in other words they don't really care about us. I don't think any country really cares about Bulgaria. Any country that's ever helped us or sided with us has done it purely out of their own interest. Not because they consider us their "brothers" or true Allies.

bladieblah
01-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Norway I guess, in terms of my Swedish side :icon_wink:

Pobre Diablo
01-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Also out of all the Slavs and Slavic speaking countries Bulgarians are the LEAST Slavic looking and have the least amount of Slavic blood compared to Serbs, Russians, Poles, etc... We are mostly united through language similar to Latin Americans and Hispanics.

It's true, bulgarians are just romanians who had the bad luck of being forced to speak a slavic language :(

bimo
01-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Haven't you been reading what some of the users on this forum have been saying?!?!?!!?

well these forums are full of fanatics with some serious complex , don't think average serbian think like rashka and guapo :D
you are right for western tourist who visit bulgarian , and yes they generally have a good opinion about bulgarians , but western euro wich was never been to bulgaria or know only the bad side or don't care at all , plus there are also many slavic tourist in bg and they like bulgaria too

as for genetics there is pure or false slavic country , more or less all eastern european are mixed with slav , and bulgaria is the oldest slavic country

bimo
01-30-2013, 11:14 PM
It's true, bulgarians are just romanians who had the bad luck of being forced to speak a slavic language :(

lol that's not true
but i agree bulgarians and romanians have a lot in common

RussiaPrussia
01-30-2013, 11:17 PM
And dude other Slavs like Serbs and Russians are the ones who think of Bulgarians as gypsies, criminals, whores, etc... Haven't you been reading what some of the users on this forum have been saying?!?!?!!? Which is ironic because Serbs aren't very distant to Bulgarians genetically when compared to Northwest Europeans. I think Germans and other Western Euros don't have any particular feeling towards Bulgarians and Bulgaria, in other words they don't really care about us. I don't think any country really cares about Bulgaria. Any country that's ever helped us or sided with us has done it purely out of their own interest. Not because they consider us their "brothers" or true Allies.

well maybe its because you supported as only slavic nation hitler and his plan for lebensraum.

inactive_member
01-30-2013, 11:26 PM

They fought Ottomans in the 19th century liberating the Balkan countries. There were many volunteers among ordinary citizens in Russian Empire. Today, Bulgaria have museums and streets named after those who fought in Russo-Turkish war on Bulgarian territory.

inactive_member
01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
If one reads eastern Slavs arguing on forums he or she may get a wrong impression about their relations. Often foreigners do. The same people who are arguing on the forums go out together. Often marry each other. So, I would not pay too much attention on what is said on the forums.
Personally, I have never heard anyone calling Bulgarian gypsies. On the contrary, I am under the impression people have good opinion about Bulgarians.
I am also under the impression that some Bulgarians are finding excuses realising that their governments have not sided with Slavic countries a few times in the past.

Lemon Kush
01-30-2013, 11:58 PM
well these forums are full of fanatics with some serious complex , don't think average serbian think like rashka and guapo :D
you are right for western tourist who visit bulgarian , and yes they generally have a good opinion about bulgarians , but western euro wich was never been to bulgaria or know only the bad side or don't care at all , plus there are also many slavic tourist in bg and they like bulgaria too

as for genetics there is pure or false slavic country , more or less all eastern european are mixed with slav , and bulgaria is the oldest slavic country

I guess you are right. I am overgeneralizing and the views of a few Serbs on this forum doesn't reflect the opinions of Serbs of Bulgarians in general.

Lemon Kush
01-31-2013, 01:21 AM
I am also under the impression that some Bulgarians are finding excuses realising that their governments have not sided with Slavic countries a few times in the past.

Do you mean Bulgaria not joining with Yugoslavia? Or something else? I think the main reason Bulgaria didn't join with Yugoslavia was because we were under control of the USSR while Yugoslavia was maintaining a good relation with the Western world. I think another reason would be that Bulgarians weren't regarded as Slavs and were seen as Tatars by the Yugoslavs or because we were on opposite sides in both World Wars. Bulgaria was allied with Germany and the Axis while Yugoslavia was with the Allies. Anyways the main reason Bulgaria joined Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empire was in hopes to regain land it had lost during the Balkan Wars from Greece and Serbia which included Thrace and a great part of Macedonia.

inactive_member
01-31-2013, 08:51 AM
Do you mean Bulgaria not joining with Yugoslavia? Or something else? I think the main reason Bulgaria didn't join with Yugoslavia was because we were under control of the USSR while Yugoslavia was maintaining a good relation with the Western world. I think another reason would be that Bulgarians weren't regarded as Slavs and were seen as Tatars by the Yugoslavs or because we were on opposite sides in both World Wars. Bulgaria was allied with Germany and the Axis while Yugoslavia was with the Allies. Anyways the main reason Bulgaria joined Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empire was in hopes to regain land it had lost during the Balkan Wars from Greece and Serbia which included Thrace and a great part of Macedonia.

I was talking about Bulgaria siding with Germany in WWI, WWII and lately with the west in NATO. I don’t know anyone, especially among generation, grudging about the fact. I read some comments from the tourists being ripped off in Bulgaria. Tourists would be the last people complaining given their behaviours abroad.
Moreover, eastern Slavs do not consider Bulgarians as Tatars. There is a cultural link between our countries. The religion, the old Bulgarian language that had an influence on the development of all eastern Slavic languages. The Russo-Turkish war which I mentioned above.
Maybe, there are young people obsessed with race or physical anthropology making derogative comments. Overall, there the attitudes towards Bulgarians, among people that I have know, are generally positive.

Slycooper
01-31-2013, 08:58 AM
England

MM81
01-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Ireland??? really there aren't friends in these days, in this case perhaps "was enemy of my enemy is my friend"
On the contrary of the delirious shitstorms that usually happen on this board, often thanks to a very "qualified" :picard1: number of users, your country and mine are traditionally strong friends, and today we have the same interests in escaping the deadly repercussions of the euro crisis. Real life is different than the Internet, as usual :D

Baldur
01-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Sweden-Åland :D
http://www.nordicspotlight.com/ns/images/articles/culture/difficult-love-260.jpg

MM81
01-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Moreover, Italy has always had interests in the Balkans. I think those countries, with maybe the reasonable exception of Serbia (because of our intervention in the war of 1999), can be considered our "friends".
Although I have to say that when I had my holydays in Istria (a region of Croatia that was italian before the peace treaty of WWII), some people treated me bad in a bar because of my "being italian"...

Lemon Kush
01-31-2013, 09:48 AM
I was talking about Bulgaria siding with Germany in WWI, WWII and lately with the west in NATO. I don’t know anyone, especially among generation, grudging about the fact. I read some comments from the tourists being ripped off in Bulgaria. Tourists would be the last people complaining given their behaviours abroad.
Moreover, eastern Slavs do not consider Bulgarians as Tatars. There is a cultural link between our countries. The religion, the old Bulgarian language that had an influence on the development of all eastern Slavic languages. The Russo-Turkish war which I mentioned above.
Maybe, there are young people obsessed with race or physical anthropology making derogative comments. Overall, there the attitudes towards Bulgarians, among people that I have know, are generally positive.

Well the OP's question in this thread was "Which European nation is the best friend of your European nation?" and I don't think any nation is a good friend of Bulgaria. For example our neighboring countries like Greece and Serbia formed an alliance during the Balkan Wars to invade Bulgaria and divide it's territory among them and they were successful in it. Also all the countries that have sided with Bulgaria like Russia and Germany have done it purely out of their own interest. For example during World War 2 Bulgaria wasn't really on Nazi Germany's sided it was simply one of its occupied territories. As for Russia liberating us from Ottoman rule, that was also made out of their own interest probably to gain important territories of ours and turn it into one of its spheres of influence. So in conclusion I don't think Bulgaria can consider any European country as its "best friend" there's been too much conflict between us and our neighbors as well as a genetic divide between us and other Slavs.

bimo
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
as well as a genetic divide between us and other Slavs.

according to last genetic test bulgarians are mostly in between southern europeans and slav , so why bulgarians should be divided from other slavs ?

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=131894

spaniard69
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
I said before, none.
Things really changed. More than 30% of Portuguese didn't mind to embark in an Iberian adventure that's a lot of people. Youngsters from both countries look at each other the very same way. I had no trouble in socialize in Spain, I really felt home there, didn't had to do the slightest effort to make friends, and I made a lot. Spaniards are great lovers of life and friendship as we are. I doubt that there’s another pair of countries with the same number of marriages among their citizens (and now I don’t care about kisses on the mouth).
On the other hand, both economies are very embedded most of EU discussions interest the same way to both countries and together we have the same votes as France and one more than England or Italy, so together we are a heavyweight, that means that we have to work together.
I’ll gladly open an exception for "Nuestros Hermanos" :thumbs up

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w420/1Catrau/Duelo_iberico.jpg

Saludos.

I think that's impossible. It'd be a difficult process. Traditional "friends" of Portugal (like England) will do their utmost to prevent that, like they always did in the past. To keep Portugal and Spain segregated has been a british strategical principle.

Lemon Kush
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
according to last genetic test bulgarians are mostly in between southern europeans and slav , so why bulgarians should be divided from other slavs ?

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=131894

Bulgarians have the LEAST Slavic blood of all the Slavic ethnic groups and Nations. This has been proven by genetic studies. We are mainly Indo-Iranian, Thracian. With additional Slavic and Bulgar (Turkic) input.

inactive_member
01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Well the OP's question in this thread was "Which European nation is the best friend of your European nation?" and I don't think any nation is a good friend of Bulgaria. For example our neighboring countries like Greece and Serbia formed an alliance during the Balkan Wars to invade Bulgaria and divide it's territory among them and they were successful in it. Also all the countries that have sided with Bulgaria like Russia and Germany have done it purely out of their own interest. For example during World War 2 Bulgaria wasn't really on Nazi Germany's sided it was simply one of its occupied territories. As for Russia liberating us from Ottoman rule, that was also made out of their own interest probably to gain important territories of ours and turn it into one of its spheres of influence. So in conclusion I don't think Bulgaria can consider any European country as its "best friend" there's been too much conflict between us and our neighbors as well as a genetic divide between us and other Slavs.

I don’t neglect your opinion on the subject. You are probably correct about emperial Russia wanting to have the Balkans in its sphere of influence. And as far as I know Bulgarians never sent their soldiers to the eastern front during WWII fearing the revolt among Bulgarians.

If you believe Bulgaria does not have political friends or it is better for Bulgaria to adopt a pragmatic approach deciding to side with the west or east depending on the circumstances, then I will still not change my perception towards Bulgarians. Nor do I think many other people will either. The opinion is not that Bulgarians are Gypsies or Tatars or anybody else.

I was commenting on the attitudes of the general public from my personal observations and not on the existence of political friends of Bulgaria which is not was the OP asked about.

Hurrem sultana
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
I think Turkey and USA :D and Austria

Europe is old bitch :D

DJVT
01-31-2013, 12:45 PM
For the netherlands Belgium and Germany

inactive_member
01-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Bulgarians have the LEAST Slavic blood of all the Slavic ethnic groups and Nations. This has been proven by genetic studies. We are mainly Indo-Iranian, Thracian. With additional Slavic and Bulgar (Turkic) input.

I read a journal article published by population geneticists according to which the most distant Slavic group to Belarusians are Bulgarians . That has not changed my perception towards Bulgarians a single bit.

Lemon Kush
01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
I don’t neglect your opinion on the subject. You are probably correct about emperial Russia wanting to have the Balkans in its sphere of influence. And as far as I know Bulgarians never sent their soldiers to the eastern front during WWII fearing the revolt among Bulgarians.

If you believe Bulgaria does not have political friends or it is better for Bulgaria to adopt a pragmatic approach deciding to side with the west or east depending on the circumstances, then I will still not change my perception towards Bulgarians. Nor do I think many other people will either. The opinion is not that Bulgarians are Gypsies or Tatars or anybody else.

I was commenting on the attitudes of the general public from my personal observations and not on the existence of political friends of Bulgaria which is not was the OP asked about.

Oh I thought the OP meant with which nation is your nation best friends with politically and in general. Not person to person relationships between the ethnic groups of the countries. :thumb001:

Midori
01-31-2013, 01:12 PM
All ex-Yu countries in general.

Albion
01-31-2013, 05:02 PM
I think that's impossible. It'd be a difficult process. Traditional "friends" of Portugal (like England) will do their utmost to prevent that, like they always did in the past. To keep Portugal and Spain segregated has been a british strategical principle.

In the past, yes. I doubt that the UK would care if Portugal decided to join Spain though. The UK only opposed it in the past because Spain was a threat to us.
A pan-Iberian federation would perhaps be alright, but Portugal is nice the way it is and has its own history and culture.

StonyArabia
01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
if you consider Canada "European" It would Great Britain that's for sure.

Pontios
01-31-2013, 07:25 PM

Bosnia and Russia???

RUSSIA???? Am I reading this correctly????

Sikeliot
01-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Italy: France and Greece
Portugal: Spain, England
Poland: Czech Republic or Slovakia?

Rouxinol
01-31-2013, 07:28 PM
The Atlantic Ocean.

Austo
01-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Maybe the countries of old Austro-Hungary.

But i dont know what they think about austria.

ioan assen
01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Bulgaria had ties in the past with Russia and Germany. They are too big so I m not sure we can speak about friendship on equal terms. I think Bulgarians also sympathize with Hungary and Croatia. Macedonia is like our rebelious teen child who hates us for no reason.

Midori
01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Macedonia is like our rebelious teen child

who hates us for no reason.

Well, I don't think you need further explanation to know why.

alfieb
01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Malta or Greece.

Ouistreham
01-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Italy: France and Greece

Certainly not.

In Europe anti-French sentiment is nowhere near as rampant as it is in Italy (I mean the Italian state, its politicians and mass media).

Each time a French company wants to take over an Italian business, it's a national tragedy, newspapers are flooded with infuriating readers' opinions...

Still less than two years ago, ministers in the Berlusconi government openly called for a boycott of French imports because we didn't want to take care of their Arab migrants:

Now Italy's migration policy is in ruins. Since the start of the Arab spring more than 25,000 people have arrived in Italy by sea, many on the tiny island of Lampedusa. Most are Tunisians fleeing the economic problems that helped trigger the upheaval. The interim government in Tunis, which is facing a massive refugee problem of its own on the Libyan border, has been reluctant to give priority to helping Italy.

But on April 5th it agreed to take two flights a day of repatriated migrants. In return Italy offered the Tunisians coastal-patrol equipment and €150m ($220m) in unspecified support. Italy hopes the sight of returning migrants will deter others from trying. The risks were brought home last week when a boat carrying over 200 passengers capsized; only 48 survived.

From the EU Mr Maroni sought another deal to allow him to dispatch migrants, but in the opposite direction. He—and his colleague from Malta, which has also been hit by an influx of north Africans—wanted the EU to apply an emergency rule to relocate the refugees across all member states.

This was blocked. But Italy had already issued national residence permits to the migrants, perhaps hoping they would exploit the passport-free Schengen area to slip across to countries like France, where many Tunisians have family. The French, however, pointed out that the Schengen rules grant freedom of movement only to those with proper passports and the means to support themselves. Others can be returned to the EU country in which they arrived. The French have already sent almost 2,000 north Africans back to Italy.

France and Germany argue that, since Italy receives proportionately few requests for asylum (just over 10,000 last year, compared with France's 52,000 and Germany's 49,000), it should cope with the relatively modest influx from north Africa. Privately, ministers in Rome accept that the present levels are manageable. But they worry that the Libyan conflict could unleash a bigger exodus, and want the EU to work on a comprehensive approach.

No Libyan government is likely to care about Italy's fears. The rebels remember the pally relationship between Muammar Qaddafi and Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian prime minister (who this week said he would probably stand down when his mandate expires in 2013 and named a possible successor, Angelino Alfano, the justice minister). The colonel will feel betrayed by his former ally's decision to join NATO's offensive—and on April 12th Mr Berlusconi said he had to be talked out of resigning after changing sides.

With Italy's Maghreb policy in disarray, the Northern League appears bent on making things worse. Its leader, Umberto Bossi, has backed a boycott of French goods.
http://www.economist.com/node/18561247

Damião de Góis
01-31-2013, 11:31 PM

We are not in the XIV century anymore :D
I don't think any foreign country would care about an hypotetical union.

Portugal and Spain were united at one point, but it didn't work and England didn't have any intervention in that not working.

MM81
02-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Certainly not.

In Europe anti-French sentiment is nowhere near as rampant as it is in Italy (I mean the Italian state, its politicians and mass media).

Each time a French company wants to take over an Italian business, it's a national tragedy, newspapers are flooded with infuriating readers' opinions...

Still less than two years ago, ministers in the Berlusconi government openly called for a boycott of French imports because we didn't want to take care of their Arab migrants:
Quite true. I personally like the french and their country, but there's a lot of rivalry and competition in the wine industry, fashion industry, tourism, even football. We were called the latin cousins during the age of late XIX-early XXth century Great Powers... But it didn't last that long :)

bella1407
02-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Belarus.

Permafrost
02-02-2013, 08:36 PM
All ex-Yu countries in general.

Well generally speaking Makedoncite are among the most liked minorities here.

Hevo
02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Netherlands: Belgium(Flanders), Germany and to the lesser extent England.
Poland: Well most slavic countries+ Hungary.

Catrau
02-02-2013, 09:31 PM
We are not in the XIV century anymore :D
I don't think any foreign country would care about an hypotetical union.

Portugal and Spain were united at one point, but it didn't work and England didn't have any intervention in that not working.

Well, it did had something to do :D:D
The "Amigos de Peniche" story, the huge landings in Peniche commanded by Francis Drake and the march to Lisbon that unfortunately was too well defended with previously unknown canons... all that remained from that attempt are the blonds from Peniche :D:D:D. It seems the beefs were the joy of Peniche girls. The attacking of our shipping, the attacking of our colonies, the attacking on the Algarve by Drake etc :D:D:D all that wasn't easy to swallow and was a way to put pressure on the Iberian Union.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Armada

Lena
02-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Why only Slavic nations? Most Slavs like Serbians ... hate us.

Sure, if you read too much of TA you can come to such a conclusion, but it goes the other way around as well. :D

In a reality we're very far from hating each other :) .

Äike
02-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Finland.

Slycooper
02-02-2013, 09:38 PM
For Canada for sure the United States. Portugal still has an alliance with England. The longest current alliance. Centuries old. I would say Portugal and USA get along as well. Since Portugal allowed them to have a base within Portugal.

Damião de Góis
02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Well, it did had something to do :D:D
The "Amigos de Peniche" story, the huge landings in Peniche commanded by Francis Drake and the march to Lisbon that unfortunately was too well defended with previously unknown canons... all that remained from that attempt are the blonds from Peniche :D:D:D. It seems the beefs were the joy of Peniche girls. The attacking of our shipping, the attacking of our colonies, the attacking on the Algarve by Drake etc :D:D:D all that wasn't easy to swallow and was a way to put pressure on the Iberian Union.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Armada

Basically we were anexed to Spain, and the spanish king rulled here for 60 years. During that time we became spanish, and Spain's enemies attacked us like they would attack Spain. That included the dutch and the english.

When the Iberian Union was over, England reestablished the old alliance, and the dutch stopped attacking because of that.

Kazimiera
02-25-2013, 12:46 AM
---> moved to European Culture

alfieb
02-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Certainly not.

Forgive him, for he knows not what he speaks.

Italy has no greater rival than France. In business, in tourism, in wine, in football, etc.

Szegedist
03-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Poland. It is a very old friendship, that has survived very tough times, including being on opposing sides of both of the world wars.

Virtuous
03-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Friends? Bitch please, lets keep it contracts and business :laugh:.

Jokes aside, we have good relations with Germany, Belgium, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy and Britain.

Žołnir
03-10-2013, 12:39 AM
I guess Russia maybe. We had no quarels with them and we have lively economic conntacts. Many of their ppl might even know we exist. xD But what matters is we have friendly terms and trade is increasing even our politicians always shake hands every year in Ruska kapelica (Russian Chapel) in Vršič. This is it the simple and small symbol of our firendship; ;)

Alboz
03-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Italy

rhiannon
03-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Obviously the USA isn't a Euro nation....but if forced to pick a best friend out of all of Europe, it would most likely be the UK, or perhaps Germany. Makes most sense because most American whites are of either or both ancestries.

Dominika
03-16-2013, 04:59 PM
The Best friend of Poland is Hungary :)

derLowe
03-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Danke Deutschland

arcticwolf
03-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Hungary. There is no doubt about it.

"Lengyel, magyar két jó barát, együtt harcol s issza borát. :thumb001:

SKYNET
03-16-2013, 05:39 PM
the best friend of the US is the UK and Ireland.

Peikko
03-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Best friends of Finland are other Nordic countries and Estonia.

Archduke
04-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Croatia.

The Bulgaro-Croatian Brotherhood has a long history.

But the beginning was not so good. In 927 AD the serbian prince Zaharij, whose serbian state at this time was Bulgarian province, begged the mighty king of Croatia Tomislav to help him against the Tsar/Emperor of Bulgaria - Simeon I the Great.
Tomislav agreed and in 927 there was a battle in the Bosnian Highlands between the armies of Bulgaria and Croatia. The Croats won their most glorious battle and Simeon I lost his first and only battle.

But then the things got better and better later. In 1230 the Republik of Dubrovnik and the Bulgarian empire of Tsar Ivan Asen II made a military alliance against Serbia. Asen II gave extreme trade rights to the croatian traders in Bulgaria.

After the fall of Bulgaria under turkish domination, the Croatian patriots were first who demanded from Austria a Crusade to liberate their brothers. Since Bulgaria was under Ottoman yoke, many Bulgarians decided to continue their education in Croatia.

Mavro Orbini - the famous Croatian wrote the first medieval history of Bulgaria, calling her "Land of Knights". Later Paisius of Hilendar used the book of Orbini to write his "History of the SlavoBolgars".

Bishop Josip Strossmeier - famous Croatian, the grandfather of the Bulgaro-Croatian alliance project. Strossmeier gave huge support for the Bulgarian National revolution.

The peak in the Bulgaro-Croatian relations was their common battle against the serbian schauvinists. Ante Pavelic - the leader of "Ustase" and Ivan Mihailov - the leader of IMORO were allies. Exactly Pavelic prepared the assassination of king Karadjordjevic, and Cernozemski executed the order.

Now 45 years later with the collapse of Yugoslavia, the Bulgaro-Croatian relations are in their best. Bulgaria gave secret support to Croatia against Serbia in the Yugoslavian wars - trucks with guns, food, supplies. Bulgaria was the one of the first countries who recognized independent Croatia.

The whole Bulgarian nation was shocked by the serbian brutality in Vukovar and was sympathetic to the Croatian people.

Many Bulgarians have been rewarded with the highest croatian medals for developping the Bulgaro-Croatian relations.

The Lawspeaker
04-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Belgium and Luxembourg. Followed by Germany and the United Kingdom.

RussiaPrussia
04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
for germany its netherlands and for russia belarus

Sierra
04-26-2013, 03:32 PM
For Slovakia - the Czech Republic

Roy
04-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Hungary

Paluga
04-26-2013, 03:42 PM
IMO germany has no real friends, it's a strong country that stands by itself and doesn't need any help from others. And when, then it's a fake friendship to get the german money.

Maybe Japan. But no country in Europe.

Lobotomist
04-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Best relations with Denmark are other Nordic countries and Germany.

Nurr
04-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Yes i agree with you,,the main problem is prejudice between nation,,Human civilization stay same through the centuries-we do not like what we do not understand

Sisak
04-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Croats do not like their own emigrants, so I do not think they have friends outside their own nation. On one croatian forum are very ignorant and hostile towards the Croats outside Croatia, therefore, very non-interested in making friends within Europe.