PDA

View Full Version : One More Leak In The Pipeline For Women In Tech: Teacher Bias

microrobert
04-18-2012, 04:40 PM
One More Leak In The Pipeline For Women In Tech: Teacher Bias

Analysis of national education data reveals that high school math teachers have an unjustifiable bias against white females, furthering the struggle of girls to advance in the STEM pipeline towards high-earning technical careers.

“This speaks to the presence of a perhaps subtle yet omnipresent stereotype in high school classrooms: Math, comparatively speaking, is just easier for white males than it is for white females,” wrote researchers Catherine Riegle-Crumb and Melissa Humphries in the article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghancasserly/2012/04/17/leak-in-the-pipeline-for-women-in-tech-math-teacher-bias/

Óttar
04-18-2012, 04:54 PM
There is probably some faulty logic here just like in the 'gender-wage gap' argument which is bullshit, and then the one about how boys get called on to answer questions or give opinions more than girls in class. In the former, they compare the salaries of RNs to neurosurgeons, and in the latter they count a boy being yelled at as "being called on."

These studies all clearly have an underhanded political agenda as far as I'm concerned.

calxpal
04-14-2024, 12:42 AM
I'm not a feminist but I can confirm this is VERY true as a white female, and it is compounded by the stereotype that white women are lazy party types. It was a fight for me to get placed in advanced science and math classes when my grades and abilities clearly demonstrated so. My school would not place me in AP Physics but they offered to put me in AP Psychology :rolleyes: which wasn't even related to the degree I wanted to pursue in any way lol. Luckily I didn't waste my time taking that.