PDA

View Full Version : What are your religious views?

DarkZarathustra
11-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Germanic Paganism - Heathenism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_Neopaganism) -

Slavic Paganism - Rodnovery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodnovery) -

Celtic Paganism - Druidism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Neopaganism) -

Hellenic Paganism - Twelve Olympians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenic_Neopaganism) -

Christianity - Catholicism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicism) -

Christianity - Protestantism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism) -

Christianity - Orthodox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Christianity) -

Atheism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism)&Agnosticism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism) -

Nietzscheanism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nietzscheanism) -

Buddhism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism) -

Hinduism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism) -

Bonpo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonpo) -

Zoroashtrianism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroashtrianism) -

Mithraism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraism) -

Islam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam) -

Satanism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism) -

Oresai
11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Bit difficult for me to choose one in the poll. This is because I was raised a heathen, but Celtic...like a Scots traditional pagan family, except we called, and still do call ourselves, heathen. In fact and in practice there`s very little difference between Norse or Germanic heathenry and the tradition I was raised in, though scholars go dippy when I mention it so. However the fact remains, I call myself a proud Scottish heathen. :)

Vulpix
11-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Agnostic wannabe Pagan :D!

Loki
11-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I used to be a Christian of the Pentecostal-Protestant persuasion, but I've now been an atheist for around 7 years, I think. This is not a religion though, I'd prefer the term "non-religious" to atheist.

I enjoy religious-originated practices like yoga, though, as it can benefit the body and mind. Reality is what matters to me, not wishful thinking. I was duped by Christianity in my earlier life, and am very satisfied to be rid of superstition.

Johnny Bravo
11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
I used to be a Christian of the Pentecostal-Protestant persuasion, but I've now been an atheist for around 7 years, I think. This is not a religion though, I'd prefer the term "non-religious" to atheist.

I enjoy religious-originated practices like yoga, though, as it can benefit the body and mind. Reality is what matters to me, not wishful thinking. I was duped by Christianity in my earlier life, and am very satisfied to be rid of superstition.

That's the spirit. :thumbs up I wish more Europeans would ditch the second-class type of spirituality shoved down their throats by Christianity and realise that this Semitic religion was foisted upon them in order to control and enfeeble them.

Reality is what matters to me, not wishful thinking.

This adherence to fairy tales is what angers me about many Xians. "If YHWH didn't create the universe and everything in it, then how can we establish an absolute morality and how can people be moral then?" Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

As for myself, I'm treading the thin line between atheistic Nietzscheanism and Nietzschean atheism.

The Dragonslayer
11-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm a Christian, but I don't know if I fit into any of those types. I guess I would consider myself a Classical Anglican.

Loki
11-24-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm a Christian, but I don't know if I fit into any of those types. I guess I would consider myself a Classical Anglican.

Do you attend any church services? :)

The Dragonslayer
11-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Do you attend any church services? :)

Right now I tend to practice on my own. I had been a member (I guess I'm still on the books) of the Episcopal Church. I left it due to all the drama with women and gay priests. I have been to some other Anglican churches (ones that split off years ago or more recently). I've also attended some Catholic churches, including some that still do the Latin Mass. I'm not a regular church goer of one particular church right now. I would like to find one. I do tend to like more of the liturgical type of services.

Groenewolf
11-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I voted Germanic Heathen.

DarkZarathustra
11-24-2008, 06:05 PM
As for myself, I'm treading the thin line between atheistic Nietzscheanism and Nietzschean atheism.
Atheism towards Christianity and other Abrahamic religions (Judaism and Islam).

1. Anti-semitism. Nietzsche's thought is so Aryan that he can afford not to be anti-semitic. His Blonde Bestia to become Übermensch should be recovered (get remedy from) morality (what have Abrahamic origine) and ressentiment (anti-semitism is one of derivative from ressentiment).
1.1. The Remedy is Eternal Reccurrance of the same. (or thought of it - Heidegger's opinion)

2. Nietzscheanism have some good complimentarity to Islam as they saved Ancient Roman-Greek culture, philosophy (natur-philosophy! --> modern science and technics). Their Caliphate adopted many from Persian ;)

Behind Nietzscheanic Atheism is Enthusiastic Dionisian Spirite... :wink

Alison
11-24-2008, 06:33 PM
I was raised in an Apostolic Church. I quite liked it but then my father had an affair with one of the priests daughters and things fell apart. Then my mother stopped going to church and hooked up with another woman and .....

Then I met my husband who is RC and I converted and was quite Ok with it until recently. I taught Cathecism for years but the hypocrisy in any religion switches me off.

Skandi
11-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I voted Germanic Heathenry though it isn't quite correct as it's more Norse/Islandic in style, however let's not pick holes in things for the sake of it :)

Fortis in Arduis
11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Well, I had a several Hindu meditation teachers and it was the only religion which ever made sense to me, because I met God that way and the experience has never left me.

I did not believe in God until I met him through that Hindu sect and I did not really understand that it is 'nice to be nice' until that point.

This experience went beyond the rule books, beyond my name and form, my race, my religious background - which was Anglican Christian, beyond my physical body.

I rejected it because it was too spiritual, and I prefer to work through the body and play with the physical world more, but I will never ever forget the moment that I realised that I was God's child. It will remain with me forever.

At any time that I am in distress I try to invoke God and spirituality into the moment.

It goes to show, in my mind, that the spiritual experience is common to all human beings of all races and backgrounds, even the crippled, defective and evil souls too.

Oh yes, I believe in God. I do not manage to live by my own rules which would bring me close to him, but I believe, believe, believe...

There is something in certain parts of Hinduism which resonate with all sorts of folk. For a religion which can be so ethno-specific it has an extraordinary quality.

Seeing India and the Vaishnava-period architecture was a proud moment for me, a European.

When I know God, I do not think about the race of a man anymore, I just see the soul.

Johnny Bravo
11-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I was raised in an Apostolic Church. I quite liked it but then my father had an affair with one of the priests daughters and things fell apart. Then my mother stopped going to church and hooked up with another woman and .....

Then I met my husband who is RC and I converted and was quite Ok with it until recently. I taught Cathecism for years but the hypocrisy in any religion switches me off.

Sects or "churches" are basically self-serving in-groups which are mainly concerned about the wellbeing, influence and wealth of their ruling class (priests, popes or whatever they may call themselves). In the end, that is what it really boils down to.

They're not much unlike any other in-group, except that they always play the "morality" card.

Loyalist
11-25-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm a Protestant, and specifically, a Presbyterian. My family is comprised of Anglicans and Presbyterians, so I was brought up with exposure to both. After attending church services and reading up on their respective theologies (as well as other Reformed denominations), I found the latter more compatible with my interpretation of Christianity. The church I was actually baptised into as an infant is a Canadian branch of Protestantism, the United Church, which is an amalgamation of Methodism and Presbyterianism. However, it prides itself on being a "liberal" institution, and is very welcoming of homosexuals, female ministers, and other modern perversions.

Alison
11-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

My religious views - I drive past a Church on my way to work. :D

Psychonaut
11-26-2008, 08:45 AM
I count myself as a Heathen. My religious practice consists of honoring both my ancestors and the Gods they hailed. To this end I am constantly doing genealogical work, which I see as a type of devotional religious act. Of late I find myself more in line with the heavenly deities (Sól, Máni, Dag, Nótt, etc.) than the Æsir or Vanir, but that's one of the great things about polytheism; there is plenty of room for religious differentiation with the context of any given tradition. Aside from this, a good bit of my time is devoted to Runic studies and practices done as a member of the Wolfbund (http://www.runewolf.org).

Alison
11-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Interesting, Psychonaut! Thanks for this. I enjoy posts that make me curious enough to do research on the topic. :)

Lenny
11-27-2008, 03:10 AM
I was baptized into one of the antecedent churches of the current Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.

Sects or "churches" are basically self-serving in-groups which are mainly concerned about the wellbeing, influence and wealth of their ruling class (priests, popes or whatever they may call themselves). In the end, that is what it really boils down to.You have just used the "anti-racist" argument against the validity-of/concern-for-integrity-of nations/peoples (only replacing a few words here and there to apply to Christianity).

I wish more Europeans would ditch the second-class type of spirituality shoved down their throats by Christianity and realise that this ... religion was foisted upon them in order to control and enfeeble them.A people that believes in nothing tends not to assert itself in the face of threats. Islam would walk all over a group of softbellied atheists. (Though it would also walk over softbellied liberal-Christians).

Skandi
11-27-2008, 04:06 AM
So let's all be Heathen :p

Johnny Bravo
11-27-2008, 12:30 PM
You have just used the "anti-racist" argument against the validity-of/concern-for-integrity-of nations/peoples (only replacing a few words here and there to apply to Christianity).

How dare you misrepresent my statement like that, Leonard? :mad:

This is an entirely different argument, but that will certainly go over the head of someone who thinks a book of fiction written by some drug-addled Semitic slaves who herded goats for a living and heard voices from the sky explains the origin of the Universe.

The existence of human diversity is necessary, if we are to preserve our species at all. Darwin's theory is your friend. :thumb001:

The existence of superstitions is an annoying artefact of being a less-than-rational human(oid) and is used by organised sects to control people. :thumb down2

Your premises are false.

An example: a ministry of foreign affairs is actually a necessary institution and has an important diplomatic role. However, a few years ago, they founded a so-called "Ministry of Information Society" here in Slovenia. It was usually referred to as the "Ministry of Wasting Taxpayers' Time." I mean, WTF? It goes without saying that the bureaucrats just wanted more jobs for themselves to legally shovel our money into their pockets.

Such is the difference between biological units such as "race" and mind-viruses like "religion."

A people that believes in nothing tends not to assert itself in the face of threats. Islam would walk all over a group of softbellied atheists. (Though it would also walk over softbellied liberal-Christians).

What about us six-pack atheists? :D

As you've recognised yourself, Christianity can be just as weak as any other ideology. It has no redeeming value per se.

Tell me again, Leonard: how many non-Whites are members of your universalist Semitic super-sect? :coffee:

Oisín
11-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Other.

My beliefs are hard to put a label on to be honest. I believe there is a creative force/energy in the universe and I believe it is a part of every living thing. I feel closer and more at peace to God when I am by myself in a forest or by a lake than I ever did in any church I was ever in. I'm not one for the Bible or other holy books or religions that are led by man. My feelings would be that I don't need to go into a church or be preached to to be close to God. God is everywhere there is life. I'm not a Christian by any stretch of the imagination but I do like this quote from the Gospel of St. Thomas, which funnily enough the Christians call heresy, I think it would give an idea of what makes sense to me:
It is I who am the light which is above them all. It is I who am the all. From me did the all come forth, and unto me did the all extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.

Exiled
11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I used to be an atheist. I was convinced that God did not exist. Something happened that eventually convinced me of the opposite. Atheism if not of the Dawkins variety of atheism is certainly understandable with many atheists being virtuous people even if not religious. Many experiences have revealed the amoralist streaks of most people which are not confined to any one religious belief.

Absinthe
12-01-2008, 09:55 AM
I voted 'Nietzscheanism' although it can hardly be considered a 'religion' :p...but, again, my religious views are also schizophrenic so I'll try to explain a bit:

I am in agreement with Nietzsche and that "God is dead" in the present age. That's because God is dead, in the sense that spirituality is dead, but also because those who are religious today have lost the essence of religion.
Religion in the modern, ecclesiastical sense, is more like geopolitical dynamics than spirituality and faith. It's probably the most effective & dangerous form of propaganda and it's moving whole nations against each other, let alone fuelling aggressive & imperialistic tendencies in the arabic world.

On the other hand, I am not nihilistic and I dislike how materialistic the world has become. We are in need of spirituality but under a renewed, re-evaluated point of view. The most appealing religious theories to me are the polytheistic ones (hellenic, teutonic, celtic, finnish, vedic) because they offer a more holistic, comprehensive and dynamic approach than the dualists, as well as buddhism because of it's interesting philosophy and especially Tibetan buddhism and it's intriguing approach to death (Book of the Dead).

Sally
12-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Roman Catholic.

My parents never baptised me as a baby nor took me to church; they wanted me to choose my own religious path. My father was raised Presbyterian, and my mother was brought up an Anglican, though I think she attended a Congregational church in childhood. Both (!) of my step-mothers were Roman Catholic, and when I was three, I announced that I, too, wanted to be Roman Catholic (no one took me seriously, though). I enjoyed Mass immensely and felt very comfortable in Catholic churches.

I always jumped at the opportunity to attend different Protestant churches with friends throughout my childhood and well into my twenties, and I committed myself to learning about Eastern religions, too. However, I recently converted to Roman Catholicism because to me, it's the true faith. Don't worry, though, folks: I'm not here to proselytise. ;)

TheGreatest
12-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Protestant.

The Church is led by up-tight men who think they're gods on Earth. The local pastor is a homosexual who threatened a lot of people and abused his powers. I don't need to attend church or kiss some pastor's behind to be a good Christian

Lady L
12-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I didn't vote because I have no answer. Me and my husband were talking about this last night. He said everybody believes in something. But, do I..? It is a very hard question for me because I do believe in something, I am just not sure what. And, I am not sure it falls under any of these choices.

I have always wanted the truth, but that seems impossible. Is there a truth? How would I know which one is true? Does it have to be true? And, if it is not true whats the point in relying on it for anything?

I like to believe there is a God/Goddesses ...I like to believe maybe something along the nature lines too, and I would like to believe there is a place to go after death for an after life. I do not want death to be the end. It just can't be.

If anyone has any ideas for me or a direction that maybe helped you, I would love to hear about it. :)

Thorum
12-30-2008, 04:44 PM
A people that believes in nothing tends not to assert itself in the face of threats. Islam would walk all over a group of softbellied atheists. (Though it would also walk over softbellied liberal-Christians).

I am a soft-bellied atheist. When I am threatened, I run away like a rabbit and cry...........................:cry

Well, actually, I don't live with or have any fears. I leave that to the religious.

Thorum
12-30-2008, 04:48 PM
..............."someone who thinks a book of fiction written by some drug-addled Semitic slaves who herded goats for a living and heard voices from the sky explains the origin of the Universe.

The existence of human diversity is necessary, if we are to preserve our species at all. Darwin's theory is your friend. :thumb001:

The existence of superstitions is an annoying artefact of being a less-than-rational human(oid) and is used by organised sects to control people. :thumb down2........................"

Well put!! My thoughts exactly!! :thumb001:

TheGreatest
12-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Darwinism as a religion is included on most census forms in North America and Great Britain.

Thorum
12-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Darwinism as a religion is included on most census forms in North America and Great Britain.

Wow, that is hilarious!! I didn't know Darwin was a God. I thought he was a man who lived in the 1800's. Silly me............

Psychonaut
12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Wow, that is hilarious!! I didn't know Darwin was a God. I thought he was a man who lived in the 1800's. Silly me............

*bows down to his marble statue of Darwin*

What? You mean he wasn't Jehova's step-son!? DANGIT!!!

TheGreatest
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah it's a bit of a joke...
Darwinism = Universalism...

I think Darwinism should be a major hit in India, China and Africa. Darwin never wrote that it is the better species that survives, but rather the one that is more capable of reproducing. And this is what is occurring at home and in the Third World.

TheGreatest
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
*bows down to his marble statue of Darwin*

What? You mean he wasn't Jehova's step-son!? DANGIT!!!

http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/vs-gallery2/d/34030-2/4s2_Pict0031.jpg

DAmn straight, you better be payin' respect to our lord and founder. If he didn't impregnate that Lucy, we wouldn't be here! :mad:

HawkR
12-31-2008, 12:49 AM
I was wondering of pressing Islam just for fucks sake, but I didn't:p Would've been fun though. "How's the muslim?"

Jägerstaffel
12-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Maidz, we'd have all got our pitchforks and torches and chased you out of town!

SouthernBoy
12-31-2008, 04:57 AM
I think I am a Christian. :)

Baron Samedi
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I too am a practicing Germanic heathen who is aligned with The Wolfbund,
a Germanic "black school" of the runes and other forms of Germanic magical practice.

Odian philosophy is both freeing as well as mind-expanding all at the same time. The runes are truly a force to be embraced by all of us returning to our ancestral faith, not just a select few.... But we want to take it to the next level.

I am also a member of the Asatru Folk Assembly, and despite every organization having some problems, it is the best folkish group for solitary practitioners in Vinland there is.

Stossy
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Well I am raised as a Catholic. But I really don't care about it... I only go to church when someone dies or when there is a wedding. Also later I guess I still will have my wedding for the church.

safinator
10-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Agnosticism but i admit that Paganism is interesting.

Laudanum
10-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Germanic paganism mixed with Pantheism.

Gratis
10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Raised Catholic (ugh), complete non-believer.

Flintlocke
10-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Interesting article:

http://tvnewslies.org/tvnl/index.php/editorial/jesse-richards-commentary/21286-is-your-religion-a-cult-of-course-it-is.html

Joe McCarthy
10-31-2011, 07:39 PM
I've discovered there is no real substitute for Christianity, though I can't say I'm a convinced Christian, either, at this point.

safinator
10-31-2011, 07:44 PM
How come there are no votes for Orthodoxy?

Siginulfo
10-31-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm in a phase where I have to choose between Germanic Neopaganism (what I want to become a follower) and Catholic Christianity (my parent's religion).

HungAryan
11-01-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm in a phase where I have to choose between Germanic Neopaganism (what I want to become a follower) and Catholic Christianity (my parent's religion).

Stay Christian, it is the true religion.
Neo-Paganism is just a fad, like emo, satanism, rap, etc.. Thus, you are Italian, not Germanic. If you really want to become Pagan, go for the Ancient Roman gods instead...

Óttar
11-01-2011, 12:34 AM
I believe there are two other threads asking this same exact question. I have explained my beliefs on those threads thoroughly.

Hevneren
11-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Stay Christian, it is the true religion.
Neo-Paganism is just a fad, like emo, satanism, rap, etc.. Thus, you are Italian, not Germanic. If you really want to become Pagan, go for the Ancient Roman gods instead...

In the perspective of European history, Christianity is the fad.

Kalimtari
04-12-2014, 04:39 PM
very Atheist (raised very Catholic :D )

vibrant_
04-12-2014, 04:41 PM
I believe in God but I'm not religious, I'm very spiritual though. I was raised Catholic.

CordedWhelp
04-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Christian, essentially nondenominational...some might say I am something of a Messianic Jew....no fan of the Talmud, however.

Elsa
04-12-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm an atheist who's considering paganism. ;) But only for the interesting stories and rituals: I don't believe in God(s) at all, and I don't think I even could if I tried.

LucvHvce
04-12-2014, 04:53 PM
I grew up with Christian evangelical fundamentalists where the bible was used as race shaming and an excuse for child abuse.

That may or may not have influenced my current views... I don't bother with religion but I follow my tribal traditions.

Wild North
11-19-2014, 01:06 AM
I´m baptized in a Christian church. However I consider myself to be an Agnostic. But I´m also a bit interested in Paganism (Heathenism).