PDA

View Full Version : Turkey lacks staff and fund for regional role

poiuytrewq0987
04-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Turkey may have significantly boosted its profile in the Middle East over the past decade, but it still has a gap to close between its expectations and capabilities to become a ‘regional power,’ a recent study says

http://nationalinterest.org/files/imagecache/resize-340/images/Medvedev_and_Erdogan2_0.jpg

Over the past decade Turkey may have significantly boosted its profile in the Middle East, but it still has a large gap to close between its expectations and capabilities in order to become a true “regional power,” according to a study by the Ankara-based International Strategic Research Organization (USAK).

The report, which examined Turkey’s clout in the diplomatic, economic and “soft power” areas, called for comprehensive joint efforts by the state, the private sector and civic society in all three fields as “a great disparity exists between the role that Turkey wants to play and the capacity it has.”

It also cautioned that Turkey’s newly-found regional influence could be short-lived. “We cannot say that regional actors, be them small or big, are following Turkey’s lead. The current attention accorded to Turkey is at the level of just sympathy. Any mistakes or Arab misunderstanding of certain rhetoric or policies hold the potential of quickly eroding the favorable attitudes that Turkey enjoys,” it said.

The study found that the Turkish Foreign Ministry was severely underfunded and understaffed when compared to those of leading nations. Its budget of €436 million is the lowest among 10 countries, including both global heavyweights and emerging powers, such as India and Brazil. With 5,533 employees, the ministry is better staffed than Brazil and India, but lags well behind Britain and France, who employ 17,100 and 15,008 people respectively. The report also stressed that only 26 diplomats spoke Arabic which hampers the “penetration of local information resources.”

In the economic field, trade with regional countries is booming, but Turkish exports are easily-replaceable cheap goods, with high-technology products making up only 3.5 percent of the total, the report said. Turkey had failed to determine any “centers of gravity” for trade, which could turn into a major disadvantage in the future, the report concluded.

In terms of “soft power,” Turkish soap operas enjoy vast popularity in the region and tourism is flourishing. The Turkish media, however, is almost absent from the Arab-language realm and Turkey has little clout in influencing the regional news agenda, the report said, adding that TRT’s Arab-language channel lagged behind competitors from Iran, France, Germany, China and the United States.

http://www.trdefence.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/turkey-slams-greek-cyprus8217-eu-meet-veto-2011-11-29_l.jpg

The study also cautioned that the popularity of Turkish soap operas in Arab countries does not necessarily mean there is a positive perception of Turkey. The report cited a public opinion poll conducted in Jordan in which 83 percent of respondents said they watched Turkish shows, but that 51 percent viewed them as “a cultural attack” with “disguised secularist values,” and 47 percent said they had a negative influence on local youth. The report did not include an assessment of Turkey’s military power.

USAK analysts cautioned against any unilateral Turkish military action in Syria when speaking at a press conference where the report was presented yesterday. USAK chairman Özdem Sanberk said he did not expect an international consensus on a military intervention in the short-run. Because the channels for a negotiated settlement are also blocked, Syria is braced for more bloodshed and uncertainty, he said.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-lacks-staff-and-fund-for-regional-role.aspx?pageID=238&nID=18774&NewsCatID=338

Petros Houhoulis
05-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't think that they worry about it, they have plenty of lapdogs serving them. Right Dusan?

Are you looking for a job in the Turkish foreign ministry?

Romanion
05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Turkey will never become a regional power because no one likes them. Outward show of force will only cause them to harm themselves.

Loki
05-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Turkey will never become a regional power because no one likes them.

(average) People are full of prejudice and lack historical insight.

But, those who know ... are the ones who matter. Like me ;) And David Cameron:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-10767768

:thumb001:

I like Turkey and wish them well.

Romanion
05-11-2012, 08:48 PM

I would disagree with the bolded part. England isn't regionally close to Turkey so english opinion on Turkey means little to this part of the world. Enland just wants Turkey in the EU to it can counter balance the Franco-German partnership.

Hayalet
05-11-2012, 09:20 PM
I would disagree with the bolded part. England isn't regionally close to Turkey so english opinion on Turkey means little to this part of the world. Enland just wants Turkey in the EU to it can counter balance the Franco-German partnership.
And what do you think was the agenda of the previous two Greek PMs?

Greek Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis has said he and his government will support Turkey's bid to join the EU.

Mr Karamanlis said mutual relations had entered what he called a new orbit, reaffirming his support for Turkey's bid to enter the EU.

EU members Greece and Cyprus reiterated their backing Monday (October 19th) for Turkey's EU bid, rejecting alternatives to full membership. At the same time, however, they called on Ankara to show goodwill and co-operation in efforts to resolve the Cyprus dispute, and said Turkey must meet its commitments in the accession process.

"The goal is for Turkey to become a full member," Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou told reporters in Nicosia. "I am not in favour of a special association of Turkey with the EU, as long as it fulfils its obligations."

Loki
05-11-2012, 09:22 PM

I'm not English. I'm an Afrikaner of Dutch and German etc origins. I have not forgotten what Turkey (via Ottomans) have done for my ancestors, without whom I would not have existed.

nite

Romanion
05-11-2012, 09:51 PM

Agenda was not to put the spotlight on Greece for blocking Turkish membership. If Turkey were to join it would mean that Ankara would need to sign the protocal of the sea and air as well as get out of Cyprus, this would be benificial to Athens. Its become appearent that Turkey does not want to join the EU but puts blame on Europe citing descrimination while they don't meet the criteria.

Romanion
05-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm not English. I'm an Afrikaner of Dutch and German etc origins. I have not forgotten what Turkey (via Ottomans) have done for my ancestors, without whom I would not have existed.

nite

And I have not forgot what Turkey (via the Ottomans) have done for my ancestors.

Loki
05-11-2012, 10:10 PM
And I have not forgot what Turkey (via the Ottomans) have done for my ancestors.

You are still alive ...

Romanion
05-11-2012, 10:23 PM
You are still alive ...

so are you...

Sultan Suleiman
05-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I am dead inside...

Konan Bolivia
05-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I am dead inside...

A donkey from the steppes penetrated you deep inside

Petros Houhoulis
05-13-2012, 08:35 PM

So, share your insight with us. Shall you go to war with Iran too? Because Cameron...

Petros Houhoulis
05-13-2012, 08:37 PM

"We don't give a rat's arse about Turkeys' accession to the E.U., the Germans and French shall kill it anyway, but don't tell the Turks."

Actually they were expecting from Turkey to get serious on the Aegean and Cyprus issues. It won't happen but it doesn't matter. Erdogan is not leading you in the E.U. anyway...

Loki
05-13-2012, 08:41 PM
So, share your insight with us. Shall you go to war with Iran too? Because Cameron...

You are comparing Turkey with Iran. That is ludicrous. You probably don't believe it yourself either, yet you prey on ignorant Stormfront-like Western Euros to appeal to their anti-Islamic feelings in order to dismiss and trash Turkey.

StonyArabia
05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Turkey will never become a regional power because no one likes them. Outward show of force will only cause them to harm themselves.

Wrong, the Arab world is now hugging Turkey more than ever before.:)

Linet
05-13-2012, 08:45 PM
You are still alive ...

He is alive because his ancestors fought for their freedom and eventually gain it. That doesnt change what Turks have done to them...