PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull tests above levels for cocaine

revision
05-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Red Bull tests above levels for cocaine

Tue, 26 May 2009 10:22:19 GMT

http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=96031&sectionid=3510212

Six German states have taken Red Bull Cola energy drinks off the shelves after it tested positive for traces of cocaine.

The ban started after routine food safety tests conducted by authorities in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia found 0.5 micrograms of coca leaf extracts per liter in the drink.

According to the analysis, each can of the drink should contain 0.13 micrograms of cocaine, which does not pose a serious health threat. One has to drink 12,000 liters of Red Bull Cola to feel the negative affects. However, the variation from the analysis was enough to cause concern.

Officials said the cocaine level was too low to pose a health risk.

Red Bull Cola has protested the action, insisting the extract of coca leaf is used worldwide in foods as a natural flavoring. Red Bull said its cola is "harmless and marketable in both the US and Europe."

Germany's Federal Institute for Risk Assessment plans to issue a more detailed report Wednesday.

Skandi
05-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Good that they have pulled it straight away, if it proves safe then it can be put back, but if it isn't they may well have helped many people.

lei.talk
05-26-2009, 01:28 PM
what are "the negative affects"
of consuming four cans per day
at "0.5 micrograms of coca leaf extracts per liter in the drink"?

anonymaus
05-26-2009, 02:29 PM
what are "the negative affects"
of consuming four cans per day
at "0.5 micrograms of coca leaf extracts per liter in the drink"?

I'm not sure: Drink 9000 cans of Red Bull and call me in the morning.

Zyklop
05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
One should keep in mind that this only refers to Red Bull Cola, not Red Bull Energy drink.

http://www.redbull.com/img/products_triple.jpg

Loki
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Ok guys I'm off to buy a bucketload of Red Bull Cola while it is still available here in the UK. :P

lei.talk
05-26-2009, 02:52 PM
it would be cheaper
to buy an equivalent quantity of cocaine hydrochloride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine).

SwordoftheVistula
05-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Sounds paranoid to me.

How does this Red Bull Cola taste anyways? I've heard mixed reviews

Útrám
05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
And letting equally harmful highly caffeinated and alcoholic beverages pass is not bad because?

Phlegethon
05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
All this shows is that the Coca Cola company has bribed some useful idiots in this country (we have plenty of them) to come up with a bullshit story while the whole economy is quickly going belly up. The concentration of cocaine is much higher if you drink water from the Rhine. Are we banning the Rhine now?

Before you have the chance to get high on Red Bull Cola you'll die from kidney failure anyway.

Óttar
05-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Coca tea should be legal everywhere. You can import it to the US from Peru.

Skandi
05-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I guess the reason that it has been pulled is not that it contains cocaine per say, but that it contains an prohibited substance for foodstuffs, the fact that it is cocaine merely makes it more news worthy than if it were some heavy metal in equally small amounts.

Treffie
05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Ok guys I'm off to buy a bucketload of Red Bull Cola while it is still available here in the UK. :P

Have you been to Tesco or Sainsbury's recently? They've moved all Red Bull drinks to the alcohol section (it used to be in the soft drinks section)

As for myself, I think Red Bull is a godsend, especially if I've got a large work load or driving long distances.

Loki
05-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Have you been to Tesco or Sainsbury's recently? They've moved all Red Bull drinks to the alcohol section (it used to be in the soft drinks section)

Interesting.

As for myself, I think Red Bull is a godsend, especially if I've got a large work load or driving long distances.

Red Bull does work for me usually. More so than coffee.

Skandi
05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
I prefer this;
http://www.pussydrinks.com/images/pussy-can.gif

and I'm not kidding my work used to sell it,although we refused to push it!

The Lawspeaker
05-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I really can't take this seriously. It poses no health risk and yet some Federal organization cries wolf.

Red Bull Cola has protested the action, insisting the extract of coca leaf is used worldwide in foods as a natural flavoring. Red Bull said its cola is "harmless and marketable in both the US and Europe."I think that they have a point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca#Traditional_uses) - I am getting a bit tired off all the needless panic around narcotic substances. Coca was and is used as a medicine in the Andes to take away feelings of hunger and to combat malaria or asthma. And I think that- and this goes for everything: everything in moderation does little to no harm. And as long as the real doses is on the tin and people use their common sense there should be no real harm.

Phlegethon
05-27-2009, 06:53 AM
I never understood how Red Bull is supposed to have an effect on anyone. Its taurin and caffeine dose than a cup of coffee should have more of an effect. Well, maybe I am no longer sensitive to that stuff, as my daily caffeine intake is between 3 and 5 grams of caffeine, which roughly equals three liters of strong coffee. whenever I sleep for more than 4 hours I wake up with a nasty headache from withdrawal.

Fortis in Arduis
05-27-2009, 09:57 AM
*slight cough*

Zyklop
05-27-2009, 02:42 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/311/wk090526kokainredbullle.jpg

State Institue for Foodwatch:

"Nobody is worried because of our horror-stories about uranium in the water! If we don't score a real hit soon they will discard us from the budget."

Tabiti
05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
LOL, I should try the Coke but guess it is too cheap to make you high and happy :D

Phlegethon
05-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Not if you mix it one third Cola, two thirds Jack Daniel's. After two pints it starts to have truly psychoactive effects.

Tabiti
05-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Not if you mix it one third Cola, two thirds Jack Daniel's. After two pints it starts to have truly psychoactive effects.
I think the label of Red Bull says: "Do not mix with alcohol", however most people drink it only this way.

Phlegethon
05-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Everything which is fun is forbidden. That is why I do not read labels, prescriptions, warning signs, police lines etc.

Zyklop
05-31-2009, 11:59 AM
According to an Austrian newspaper, the "cocaine scandal" has caused an explosive rise of Red Bull Cola sales in clubs. Barkeepers speak of quadrupled numbers.
Successful pr Red Bull :thumbs up

Source (http://www.oe24.at/wirtschaft/Verkauf_von_Red_Bull_Cola_explodiert_0472872.ece)

Loki
02-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Jeebus how stupid can you get! :eek: You're more likely to die from a caffeine overdose than those minute quantities of cola. Idiocy all round. :rolleyes:

I recommend reading this thread (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40654), and have a look at the pdf attachment for info purposes. :coffee:

BTW I miss some of the old posters in this thread, like Phlegethon and Skandi :D :(

Corraidh
02-16-2012, 05:59 AM
That explains a lot.:icon_lol:

Phlegethon
02-19-2012, 08:37 PM
BTW I miss some of the old posters in this thread, like Phlegethon and Skandi :D :(

Aww, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

But since I don't really know anyone on this board anymore (and hardly anyone know me anymore) nor can relate to 99% of what is posted here nowadays, as someone who is more interested in where he is going than where he comes from genetically and someone who is both too hideous and too privacy-prone to cam-whore in the member's pictures thread I have to ask you to live with the fact that I won't be coming back. Stirpes was the webboard of my choice. It is history now and so am I. Unlike Scumbag Schettino a real captain goes down with his ship.

http://www.deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/webpages/Der_letzte_Mann+.jpg

Grumpy Cat
02-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Red Bull makes me feel like crap. Nervous and stuff. That must be why. My body doesn't react well to stimulants, even caffeine. I'm very sensitive to those drugs. One can of Red Bull and I look like I am dancing when I am not.

I am a drug wimp in general. Alcohol, two drinks and I am tipsy. I can't smoke a whole joint, and I can't take opiates stronger than Tylenol 1 because they make me violently ill. I was prescribed oxycodone and it is still sitting in my cabinet. I took one and it didn't stay in my body long enough to have an effect, so I just ended up taking ibuprofen for the pain and it worked.

Supreme American
02-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Someone at a European plant dumping cocaine in there? How else would "traces" get in?

Grumpy Cat
02-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Someone at a European plant dumping cocaine in there? How else would "traces" get in?

You'd be surprised how many things you can find traces of cocaine on.

Pretty much all paper money. Really I'm more worried about what's on the end of the bill that was up the snorter's nose, though.

Loki
02-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Aww, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

But since I don't really know anyone on this board anymore (and hardly anyone know me anymore) nor can relate to 99% of what is posted here nowadays, as someone who is more interested in where he is going than where he comes from genetically and someone who is both too hideous and too privacy-prone to cam-whore in the member's pictures thread I have to ask you to live with the fact that I won't be coming back. Stirpes was the webboard of my choice. It is history now and so am I. Unlike Scumbag Schettino a real captain goes down with his ship.

Well that's why you visit the site every day, huh? :p :D

Phlegethon
02-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Ape City is one of about two dozen tabs open in my browser. Have to keep up to date about shitstorms and suicides. An old acquired internet disease. But as the real shitstorms rage in real life where there is no banning option and no miserable user list my role will remain passive until, hopefully, I will move on to greener offline pastures one day.

Supreme American
02-20-2012, 12:12 AM
According to an Austrian newspaper, the "cocaine scandal" has caused an explosive rise of Red Bull Cola sales in clubs. Barkeepers speak of quadrupled numbers.

Sounds like this could be a publicity stunt. There's no way they put cocaine in there legally.

rhiannon
02-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Reminds me of the case of tachycardia induced heart failure we learned about while in medical school....

Apparently there was this gym rat dude who drank on the order of 10 redbulls a day.....whilst doing his marathon workouts.

He died.

Energy drinks can be scary shit. Anyone who has ever had a hangover after a night of getting amped/shitfaced on alcoholic drinks also laced with caffeine will understand.

I dunno how people even stand the shit. Redbull tastes like a cross between urine and a multivitamin:bullet puke

rashka
02-20-2012, 06:35 AM
insisting the extract of coca leaf is used worldwide in foods as a natural flavoring.

I think that is what the ingredient was in the original Coca Cola. It might still be?

Loki
02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
I think that is what the ingredient was in the original Coca Cola. It might still be?

They use de-cocainized leaf extracts nowadays.

Nixon
02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I have never tried this Red Bull, although I may have seen it in the stores. I usually just drink Coke or Coke black can, but I mainly drink juices.

Loki
02-20-2012, 12:30 PM
I have never tried this Red Bull, although I may have seen it in the stores. I usually just drink Coke or Coke black can, but I mainly drink juices.

Red Bull is not good as a habit at all, but if used once in a while it can pick you up like a strong coffee, plus it has other ingredients besides just caffeine.

Nixon
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I think I'll pick some up next time I go out, just to see what it tastes like. It may be something I would buy once in a while.