PDA

View Full Version : Any fermenters out there?

KidMulat
04-20-2012, 09:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone else ferments for fun, nutrition, and or business?

I also do it to bring back the skills of my ancestors and even mother (She grew up on a homestead in Lousiana just north of N.O. and made of all things Clabber even used the same word for it)

So far I have made:
Kraut 10 times (I've done an ethiopian version, a central european version and the rest a hodgepoge of everything)
Injera 8 times
Mead 3 times
Pickles 2 times
Dairy kefir 3 times
Water Kefir easily over 50 times
Fermented raw squid 1 time (And never again :sad: )

Anyone else its quiet easier and its fun. Fermenting is done in every single culture from Inuit to Fuegians, if not fermenting totally share a traditionally fermented food from your respective cultures or ones you want to try and eat :p

Queen B
04-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Love pickles!
The only fermented thing I ever did is Kimchi (Korean thing)
My mom however, ferments peppers, cucumber and other vegetables

rhiannon
04-20-2012, 10:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone else ferments for fun, nutrition, and or business?

I also do it to bring back the skills of my ancestors and even mother (She grew up on a homestead in Lousiana just north of N.O. and made of all things Clabber even used the same word for it)

So far I have made:
Kraut 10 times (I've done an ethiopian version, a central european version and the rest a hodgepoge of everything)
Injera 8 times
Mead 3 times
Pickles 2 times
Dairy kefir 3 times
Water Kefir easily over 50 times
Fermented raw squid 1 time (And never again :sad: )

Anyone else its quiet easier and its fun. Fermenting is done in every single culture from Inuit to Fuegians, if not fermenting totally share a traditionally fermented food from your respective cultures or ones you want to try and eat :p

Ever tried kombucha? It's a fermented tea. It's quite good.

Caismeachd
04-21-2012, 03:27 AM
My grandmother used to make kombucha something like 20 years ago. It seems to be quite popular now. (You can buy it bottled at most health food stores). I've made alcoholic apple cider before but that's the only thing. Pretty simple to make and I've always had good results (mix pure brown sugar with raisins).

Arne
04-21-2012, 03:29 AM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg821/scaled.php?server=821&filename=dsas.jpg&res=landing
What do you mean by that ?

KidMulat
04-21-2012, 09:18 PM
I tried komboucha once, the mother was a bit of a hassle to care for and I don't like using cane sugar so I just threw it in the compost to decompose.

Show traditional sourdoughs, cheeses, krauts, tofus, idilis, even vegemite. Anything fermented from your culture or you like.

Weed in a pickle jar doesn't count:rolleyes2:

PetiteParisienne
04-22-2012, 05:14 AM
My grandmother makes a variety of pickled cucumbers, peppers, and incredible sour cherries pickled in liquor. I hope to try my hand at the cherries soon.

Piparskeggr
04-22-2012, 05:29 AM
Ale since 1974, Wine since 1975 and Mead since 1983.

sturmwalkure
04-28-2012, 01:47 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about Jenkem.