PDA

View Full Version : Conflict between Herd-Morality and [Wolf]-Pack-Immoralism

DarkZarathustra
11-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Pack-Immorality of outlaw's...who are out of Thing and seek's for a asylum with some of Free Jarl's...

So what do you think?

Alison
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
I think what you are trying to say is that the wolf pack mentality attack as a group, but you lost me after that point.

DarkZarathustra
11-24-2008, 07:33 PM
I think what you are trying to say is that the wolf pack mentality attack as a group, but you lost me after that point.
Yes, first of all intellectual initiative. Which, by the way, is not obvious in any movements (nationalistic, preservationalistic and others) opposed to modern ideology-mainstream...

but you lost me after that point.
Why lost?

Vulpix
11-24-2008, 07:54 PM
She meant she doesn't quite understand what you mean :).

Why lost?

DarkZarathustra
11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Ah, I'll interpret this later.

Oresai
11-25-2008, 05:25 AM
I`m a ridiculously non-intellectual woman, but this intrigued me so I`m going to have a go at it. So please forgive me if I misunderstood. :)
I believe both extremes depend upon the laws...legal and unwritten, the `moral codes`, if you like, of society at the time, no?
I see both herd and wolf pack morality present in groups such as gangs of youths, who, faced with little or no deterrent to their actions, roam wild and unchallenged or if challenged, react with typically arrogant and sure vitriol, striking out at any who dare accost or question their actions...wolf-strike...yet I don`t believe they do it intelligently, assuredly not! There lies a herd mentality where they perform a series of actions they believe are accepted among their peers and which will display the bravado and what they perceive...mistakenly...as masculine posturning and deed.
I also see it in mainstream society where the common folks behave like herded sheep, cheerfully or unthinkingly swallowing every morsel of `wisdom` or edict their governments pass down to them via the media or law, unquestioning if it`s right and fitting or not. So long as they are taken care of (and they do believe, naively, they are....) then they are quite happy to be herded, because it removes that crucial thing from them...self responsibility, alongside our old friend common sense, dying through lack of attention. ;)
And the wolves? The rule us, ruthlessly, with scant regard for long term welfare, with no regard for, again, what is right and fitting, or true....fI see them band together in true wolfpack feeding frenzy, the rush of blood in their heads drowning out anything sensible and calm and clear thinking as they feed on the entrails of their prey, society at large.

I have probably got what Russian Philosopher intended to mean, wrong, and if so, I apologise. But thoughts like these are what came to mind when I read the original post. :)
For my own self, well, like most I like to think I have the wolf within me, in the sense of self reliance, loyalty to the deserving pack...not forgetting that wolves will drive away any member of the pack they feel is a threat, often...and a supreme tough spirit that survives most things unbowed and unbroken. Note, please, that I don`t place myself among any wolfshead, or outlaw. :)
I most definately do not count myself among the herd of sheep I meet daily, blindly `living` their lives without questioning if those lives are meaningful or leading to anything productive for theirs, or their offsprings, future.
I come from a society (Celts) who placed the welfare of tribe and clan first among anything else. Even Celtic gods are not geared to any individual alone, excepting heroes (telling, huh? ;) ), those who distinguish themselves in service of clan or local king, who further the cause of the people, not themselves alone.
Others mistakenly view that mindset as being of a herd mentality but nothing could be further from the truth. Because it takes one a great deal of insight, self confidence, knowledge and courage, to know what is right action, to know what will benefit your clan, or these days, the people you care for and love. And to act with confidence upon that knowledge can often take great courage, because not every deed is done with a light heart.....and sometimes, there is great truth in the proverb, `cruel to be kind`...

I think humans have all we need within us, character wise, to strike the correct balance between the snarling savagery of the wolf and the blind obedience of the sheep. We need a certain amount of savagery, of aggression, in order to survive and thrive in an often hostile world. Yet I know people who would prefer humans to be blandly `kind, nice and non aggressive` all the time, which in my opinion is untenable, unrealistic.
Yet we also need the wisdom to know when, and how, to use that aggression. A man striking out blindly at anyone in reaching distance is a fool, if one of those reaching to soothe him is a friend and he cuts him down...
red rages are the mark of the undisciplined...

Ok, sorry, I rambled..:o
anyway, even if I got it woefully wrong, thanks for the topic, because it made me think, and at this time of the morning that is no mean feat. :D