PDA

View Full Version : Want to cheer yourself up? go for a walk in a cemetery

microrobert
04-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Want to cheer yourself up? go for a walk in a cemetery

Thinking about death can actually be a good thing as it leads people to bring positive changes to their lives and help others, a new report showed yesterday.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02160/pateman_cemetery_2160053b.jpg

For an awareness of mortality can improve physical health and help us re-prioritize our goals and values, according to the latest analysis of recent scientific studies.

Even non-conscious thinking about death - such as walking by a cemetery - could prompt positive changes and promote helping others, say psychologists.

Want to cheer yourself up? go for a walk in a cemetery - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9216244/Want-to-cheer-yourself-up-go-for-a-walk-in-a-cemetery.html)

Mercury
04-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I take a break and walk in a cemetery once a day when I'm jogging. I like to think about those who died and are long forgotten since their family is all dead. Pay respect to the old military veterans and such.

Corvus
04-21-2012, 06:47 PM
I like cemeteries, I visit them in order to pay tribute to my dead family members
and also to examine the different names of the families, because
they are a hint where their ancestors came from.

Kazimiera
04-21-2012, 06:48 PM
I used to go to the cemetery quite often. There was a favourite of mine which was extremely old. The graves dated back to the 1700's and 1800's. I'd look at the names and sit and wonder what this person's life was like, what they experienced and what they went through. I'd sit for hours and make up lives for them.

I especially loved sitting in the cemetery in the rain. To me it was like the heavens were mourning the dead and that the raindrop were tears.

LadyFirehawk
04-23-2012, 07:42 AM
I learned how to ride my bike in a cemetery... :D

PetiteParisienne
04-23-2012, 07:43 AM
I jog almost daily in our local cemetery. It is serene, beautiful, and grounding.

Heart of Oak
04-23-2012, 07:49 AM
I love reading the names n dates. Sometimes i clean the graves........
I used to know someone whom made brass rubbings......

rhiannon
04-23-2012, 07:52 AM
I used to live across the street from a cemetery.
Neighbors were quiet, lol

Graham
04-23-2012, 07:55 AM
The only cemetery we have is the one my grandad's at. Next to his grave is a family friend who was murdered at 18 year old ages ago. Next door neighbours best friend is burried there who was also murdered. Just find it sad.

The very old one's are interesting though.

Heart of Oak
04-23-2012, 08:32 AM
I used to go to the cemetery quite often. There was a favourite of mine which was extremely old. The graves dated back to the 1700's and 1800's. I'd look at the names and sit and wonder what this person's life was like, what they experienced and what they went through. I'd sit for hours and make up lives for them.

I especially loved sitting in the cemetery in the rain. To me it was like the heavens were mourning the dead and that the raindrop were tears.

me too although here the graves dates go way back, some so old you can't read them properly, some so old there Roman......
Bath somerset.....

Siberian Cold Breeze
05-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Greens for the dead ,cement for living ones...There is something wrong with this..