PDA

View Full Version : To what degree you respect or acknowledge other Faiths?

Mortimer
04-21-2012, 09:39 PM
First: I hold Orthodox Christian Traditions, i believe in a Supernatural Entity which is called God who created the Universe and everything on it. I believe in Jesus Teachings. I believe a little bit in Karma also though.

Second i respect and acknowledge all positive religions to a very great degree, including that i would pray with them in their churches/mosques/temples and acknowledge that they also hold the truth in the biger part of the picture that God also revealed themselfes to them.

Poll follows.

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 09:41 PM
As a Christian you can tolerate religions, but itīs obvious that you canīt see Godīs truth in them, because Jesus said that he and faith in the gospel are the only way to God.

Mortimer
04-21-2012, 09:43 PM
As a Christian you can tolerate religions, but itīs obvious that you canīt see Godīs truth in them, because Jesus said that he and faith in the gospel are the only way to God.

That would be a right wing fundamentalist christian. I interpret it that Jesus meant whoever follows his path, the path of right,good and love will be in heaven. You certainly refer to "Nobody comes to the father except through me"

Sikeliot
04-21-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't think any religion holds any truth.

Hurrem sultana
04-21-2012, 09:46 PM
That would be a right wing fundamentalist christian. I interpret it that Jesus meant whoever follows his path, the path of right,good and love will be in heaven. You certainly refer to "Nobody comes to the father except through me"

I think most Christians today see it that way

then you have fundamentalists but they are few everywhere

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 09:49 PM

Yes, thatīs what I am referring, too. Well, read Romans 3,21-26. Paul states that the sacrifice of Jesus is only working for you, when you believe in his blood, that implies that you believe in the gospel. You find a similar statement in Romans 10, 9: You have to believe not only in Jesusī death, but also in his resurection. I donīt see how this is fundamentalist. This is simply the gospel: Everyone who believes in the person of Jesus shall be saved. And this obviously includes believing in his sacrifice and resurection, because otherwise you consider him a liar and thus donīt believe in him.

Also, as everyone is considered a sinner against God in the bible (and thus has infinitely great sin and deserves eternal punishment) you simply need the sacrifice of Jesus, because no just judge can simply forgive eternally great sin without being evil.

Mortimer
04-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Yes, thatīs what I am referring, too. Well, read Romans 3,21-26. Paul states that the sacrifice of Jesus is only working for you, when you believe in his blood, that implies that you believe in the gospel. You find a similar statement in Romans 10, 9: You have to believe not only in Jesusī death, but also in his resurection. I donīt see how this is fundamentalist. This is simply the gospel: Everyone who believes in the person of Jesus shall be saved. And this obviously includes believing in his sacrifice and resurection, because otherwise you consider him a liar and thus donīt believe in him.

well i do believe in it, i celebrate easter. but i think ppl who dont believe in it or question it are also saved by good deeds and a pure heart.

Furnace
04-21-2012, 09:52 PM
A lot of prophets were probably pretty cool persons, I just don't like their fan clubs..

Hurrem sultana
04-21-2012, 09:52 PM
ficu you are a christian ?

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Yes, I study reformed theology. Tomorrow I will preach in a church.

Hurrem sultana
04-21-2012, 09:54 PM
interesting :D

Mortimer
04-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Yes, I study reformed theology. Tomorrow I will preach in a church.

nice.

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 09:55 PM
well i do believe in it, i celebrate easter. but i think ppl who dont believe in it or question it are also saved by good deeds and a pure heart.

That ignores the fact that "all have sinned and fall short of Godīs glory" and thus can only be saved by grace and not by their works (Romans 3, 21-26). Please read Romans 1-3. Itīs impossible to get saved without grace and Godīs grace has been given through Jesus who died in our stead.

Mortimer
04-21-2012, 09:56 PM
That ignores the fact that "all have sinned and fall short of Godīs glory" and thus can only be saved by grace and not by their works (Romans 3, 21-26). Please read Romans 1-3. Itīs impossible to get saved without grace and Godīs grace has been given through Jesus who died in our stead.

Well if they have a pure heart and good deeds they subconsciously live the faith. And notice that the faith without good deeds is dead. Jakobus 2:20

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 09:59 PM
For everyone who is really interested in the original Christian view on sin and justification I strongly recommend this video. Itīs worth listening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OBzX18rHQk&feature=relmfu

Hurrem sultana
04-21-2012, 10:00 PM
I think picu is one of those fundamentalist protestants

here in Sweden we have "Livets ord" evangelicals ..people hate them

My professor in German belonged to that religion,and she always spoke bad about islam,,but liked me :D when i told her i am muslim she was surprised and sorry :D

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Well if they have a pure heart and good deeds they subconsciously live the faith. And notice that the faith without good deeds is dead. Jakobus 2:20

Faith in the old greek means "to trust" when it is referring to a person. Faith in Christ means personal trust in him, a relationship. The human heart is wicked by nature (Eph 2, 3; Joh 3), thatīs why Jesus talks about being born again. Good deeds show that you have faith, but they canīt save you, because you also have sin. And this sin is against God, because he has the right to demand over your life and nobody fully gives it to him. So you have robbed someone infinitely great of what belongs to him, because he made you. And thatīs why you have infinitely great guilt and God canīt simply forgive that if he is just. Thatīs why Jesus came and if you donīt accept that he paid for you, how can you receive his grace. Itīs like somebody who offers you to pay for you in order to get you out of prison, but you say he is a liar, he canīt free me, I will get out on my own.

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I think picu is one of those fundamentalist protestants

here in Sweden we have "Livets ord" evangelicals ..people hate them

My professor in German belonged to that religion,and she always spoke bad about islam,,but liked me :D when i told her i am muslim she was surprised and sorry :D

Muslims are not the problem, but islam. I wouldnīt even mind if they said I go to hell. Problems start when a so called prophet teaches his followers to slaughter "unbelievers" (Surah 9, which abrogates Surah 2 "no compulsion", etc.)...

Hurrem sultana
04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Muslims are not the problem, but islam. I wouldnīt even mind if they said I go to hell. Problems start when a so called prophet teaches his followers to slaughter "unbelievers" (Surah 9, which abrogates Surah 2 "no compulsion", etc.)...

are you trying to preach here?:eek:

Mortimer
04-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Faith in the old greek means "to trust" when it is referring to a person. Faith in Christ means personal trust in him, a relationship. The human heart is wicked by nature (Eph 2, 3; Joh 3), thatīs why Jesus talks about being born again. Good deeds show that you have faith, but they canīt save you, because you also have sin. And this sin is against God, because he has the right to demand over your life and nobody fully gives it to him. So you have robbed someone infinitely great of what belongs to him, because he made you. And thatīs why you have infinitely great guilt and God canīt simply forgive that if he is just. Thatīs why Jesus came and if you donīt accept that he paid for you, how can you receive his grace. Itīs like somebody who offers you to pay for you in order to get you out of prison, but you say he is a liar, he canīt free me, I will get out on my own.

but ppl cant believe for some valid reason, for example traditions, parents, friends, cultural barriers etc. I believe that they can get saved, but im talking out of my own opinion not out of the bible. i dont think humans are all wicked, they have both tendencies from my observation, if they are only wicked they wouldnt be able to feel pity and try to help. edit also my own opinion.

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 10:08 PM
are you trying to preach here?:eek:

Well, I whole-heartedly believe in freedom of religion, and I have the right to speak about my faith, too.

However, an ideology that calls for the slaughter of unbelievers is not a religion.

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 10:13 PM
but ppl cant believe for some valid reason, for example traditions, parents, friends, cultural barriers etc. I believe that they can get saved, but im talking out of my own opinion not out of the bible. i dont think humans are all wicked, they have both tendencies from my observation, if they are only wicked they wouldnt be able to feel pity and try to help. edit also my own opinion.

Christ always said that it costs a price to follow him, that isnīt an excuse. I mean that is what repentance is about. Letting God be no. 1 in your life, not what others think or want.

Being evil doesnīt mean that you donīt do Godīs will at all You still can do many good things. But the core of a human that hasnīt received a new heart by faith in Christ wonīt really whole-heartedly submit to God (Romans 8) and this is the greatest sin, because it is sin against someone infinitely great.

My thoughts on it are best described in the video I posted. Itīs really worth listening to.

Tony
04-21-2012, 10:14 PM
I've never respected religious people, never understood how could they believe in somethin they don't know.
As a kid when I happened to see someone praying or sayn he/she believe in God and stuff I always thought they were plain idiots, and still think so now.

Mortimer
04-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Christ always said that it costs a price to follow him, that isnīt an excuse. I mean that is what repentance is about. Letting God be no. 1 in your life, not what others think or want.

Being evil doesnīt mean that you donīt do Godīs will at all You still can do many good things. But the core of a human that hasnīt received a new heart by faith in Christ wonīt really whole-heartedly submit to God (Romans 8) and this is the greatest sin, because it is sin against someone infinitely great.

My thoughts on it are best described in the video I posted. Itīs really worth listening to.

ok i think i will listen to it, but tommorrow. now ill go to bed.

Kazimiera
04-21-2012, 10:25 PM
I acknowledge all faiths. People can worship who and what they want. I am not a religious person but I think that if someone finds they benefit from a particular religion then it is good and they should do so.

People should be free to worship however they want without criticism or fear.

Although I do not support any one religion, I will support the right of people to worship as they please.

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I found this one, itīs a bit shorter, but still very good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OBzX18rHQk&feature=relmfu

Sultan Suleiman
04-21-2012, 10:32 PM

In Old Testament you have God-approved genocide of entire nations and ethnicitys :coffee:

And infidels there are named as Arab pagans (http://www.muslimaccess.com/quraan/arabic/009.asp) which butchered first Muslims.

ficuscarica
04-21-2012, 10:40 PM
In Old Testament you have God-approved genocide of entire nations and ethnicitys :coffee:

And infidels there are named as Arab pagans which butchered first Muslims.

Yes, but these genocides were carried out by the Jews. This was Godīs judgement in that time. When Jesus came he said that itīs not our duty to judge, but that God will judge one day. Thatīs why his first followers were exclusively peaceful.

Mohammad, on the other hand, wrote the qurīan as a book of commandments that are directly adressed to his followers, and this includes surah 9. He also killed men of Jewish tribes after they had surrendered to him and the commandments in surah 9 are not limited to Arab pagans, but simply against the unbelievers. Native Arab speakers, like those in the muslim brotherhood, apply it to all "unbelievers". There are also commandments to submit the people of the book, until they pay special taxes, etc.

Incal
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM
I respect religious people as long as they respect others POV's. But TBH I've always tried to follow the path of reason and hence I try to avoid religious people because you can't learn anything useful from them.

Yaroslav
04-22-2012, 05:22 AM
I tolerate other Abrahamic faiths, but I don't respect them and don't see any truth in them. As for atheism and paganism (this includes non-Abrahamic faiths), I don't even consider them human. That's like considering pedophiles human.

Vixen
04-22-2012, 06:07 AM
I find it hard to respect fanatics and fundamentalists of any faith or ideaology. I respect secular and moderately religious people of all creeds.

Flintlocke
04-22-2012, 06:53 AM
I will burn their temples, loot their gold, kill their priests and leave their mutilated bodies as a sacrifice for Woden's ravens. Just cuz :D

Arrow Cross
04-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Second option, but only towards other (mostly mainstream) Christian denominations and to a degree Islam. Eastern "religions" are closer to philosophy anyway.

Aces High
04-22-2012, 09:01 AM
To what degree you respect or acknowledge other Faiths?

To the same degree they respect me and mine.....so not very much.

CelticViking
04-22-2012, 09:12 AM
First: I hold Orthodox Christian Traditions, i believe in a Supernatural Entity which is called God who created the Universe and everything on it. I believe in Jesus Teachings. I believe a little bit in Karma also though.

Second i respect and acknowledge all positive religions to a very great degree, including that i would pray with them in their churches/mosques/temples and acknowledge that they also hold the truth in the biger part of the picture that God also revealed themselfes to them.

Poll follows.

What are positive religions ?

Rødskjegg
04-22-2012, 09:20 AM
I like to say: "Tolerance and respect is not the same thing".

I respect most pagan beliefs.

Mortimer
04-22-2012, 02:50 PM
What are positive religions ?

Religions who incorporated some basic positive beliefs which are right, like 10commandments for example in some form

Melina
04-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Religion gives some believers a reason to live. But It does not mean it is true. The 10 commandments are good rules which people should follow. Unfortunately, some individuals use religion to cause harm and war.

Leadchucker
04-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Religion gives some believers a reason to live. But It does not mean it is true.
It would be true to them, the same as whatever philosophy you might adhere to would be true to you. I don't think anyone purposely subscribes to lies although they might be seduced into doing this.

Unfortunately, some individuals use religion to cause harm and war.
Not that I condone it, but it's been that way for a very long time and it's going to be with us into the future. It is indeed an ugly part of any belief system.

LadyFirehawk
04-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Where's the "I couldn't care less" option? I usually can't be arsed to care that much-- unless they're being dicks and/or trying to convert me.

rhiannon
04-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Being Agnostic leaves me an open book.

All religion is seen as the same in my eyes...which essentially amounts to unsubstantiated mass delusion.

Quorra
04-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't respect anyone accept my family.

sean
12-10-2021, 06:30 AM
I don't respect any business selling God.

Religions are just ideas and do not need to be respected. Beliefs are ideas, and ideas only deserve criticism and analysis. A belief is a claim about what is true. Some things are demonstrably not true.

All ideas should be subject to ridicule. That's how we get rid of the shitty ones. If you don't like your personal beliefs being mocked, keep them personal.

No religion deserves respect at this point. There are far too many critical issues in the real world, more than half of them caused by or in the name of religion.

Demanding respect is the last line of defense for those who have no other argument to support their ideas. It's like the kid who gets shot in cops and robbers then declares he's a robot immune to bullets.

People who demand respect for their own religious beliefs rarely respect the beliefs of other religions. As long as you don't try to push your religion on other people, there is no reason to even discuss religion in real life.

Teutone
12-10-2021, 07:27 PM
Loki swing it finally