PDA

View Full Version : Is It New, Or As Old As Mankind?

Oresai
11-25-2008, 05:45 AM
The following is a Scottish news story. What struck me first, was that I`m so used to reading about thuggish teens doing the deed, so it was a surprise to see the attacker was a smartly dressed forty year old.
Then in my usual trawling through the online morning papers, I saw at least three other instances of attacks on vulnerable folks.
What that made me think was, we tend to view violent crime as more prevalent nowadays. But is it? Surely unprovoked attacks on people have been happening since humanity began? Isn`t it just a case of, we have more available media in order to report such things now?
I`d be interested to hear if others really believe that violence is increasing?
I studied archaeology, one thing that was apparent is that humanity has always been warlike. Conflicts, for whatever reason, took part in every age of mankind, somewhere around the known world. And on a smaller scale, personal conflicts happened too...family feuds, drunken brawls, fights to the death born of greed, lust or hatred..whatever the reasons, many we`ll never know, they did happen.
In the history of the nations of Britain, one can see varying degrees of violence throughout, and view through archaeology and documented historical tracts, how well or badly prepared for such things the common man was. There are periods in history where brutality was the norm and the peasant had none or little recourse to justice. Where many people were forbidden to defend themselves, in fact, in the face of aristocratic whim....
and many times also where the common man preyed with depressing regularity upon one another, a cesspit of discordance and territorial posturing quickly forgotten as the next generation rose and took up arms in the name of their own, often petty, causes.
The world can seem a frightening, brutal and hostile place. (well, yes, in fact it often is :) )
but I don`t truly think it`s any worse, or better, than at many points in the past.
However, I do think our means of responding to, and defending ourselves from such brutalities, are more limited than ever before, when we are forbidden to bear arms, and when the law actually favours the attacker over the victim. Mad, mad world, no? :)

source, The Daily Record online.

Exclusive: OAP battered by thug as he stands outside pub for a smoke
Nov 24 2008 By Keith Mcleod

PENSIONER Alex Goodwin was battered in a vicious assault as he stood outside a pub smoking.

Alex, 74, was attacked for no reason by a smartly dressed man aged around 40 who had followed him outside the pub.

Other drinkers ran outside to stop the vicious beating and tried to grab the thug but he managed to escape.

Alex suffered shocking injuries in the unprovoked attack.

The assault happened outside the Doublet bar in Kelvinbridge, Glasgow, on Thursday evening.

Alex was taken to the city's Western Infirmary, where he was treated for serious facial injuries.

Detective Constable Iain Wilson appealed for witnesses and said the attacker was dressed in a dark suit, white shirt and dark tie.

He added: "This was a nasty attack on an elderly, vulnerable member of the public who was simply minding his own business.

"The suspect had been drinking in The Doublet since 4.30pm on Thursday and is believed to have engaged in conversation with the victim prior to the incident. When the victim went outside to smoke, he assaulted him for no apparent reason."

Meanwhile, police are investigating three attempted murders and a gun robbery in less than 24 hours in Johnstone, Renfrewshire.

In the first incident, at 1.15am on Saturday, two men, aged 39 and 44, were assaulted outside the Silver Tassie on the High Street as the pub was closing.

The older man was last night seriously ill in hospital while the other was released after treatment.

The suspect is white, in his mid-20s and of stocky build, with short, fair hair and he was wearing grey clothes.

At about 2.45pm that day, a 34-year-old man was injured in a gang attack in Maple Drive. He was "seriously ill" in hospital last night.

And at 3.20pm, a man armed with a gun robbed a card shop in the High Street, escaping with hundreds of pounds.

Oresai
11-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Having just said the above...I was pretty shocked at reading this next news story. I can`t think, and don`t know, of any other time in human history when girls behaved like the worst dregs of mankind. Pretty sickening. :mad:
What happened to the pride women used to instill in their daughters at behaving like strong, proud and respectable young women?

source, The Scotsman Online.

German tourist tells of attack by axe gang as he camped in Scotland

Date: 25 November 2008

By MARTYN McLAUGHLIN
A BACKPACKER who was hiking in Scotland told a court yesterday how he was repeatedly attacked by teenagers wielding an axe.
Thomas Tobor, a German student, was trying to pitch his tent on wasteground in Greenock, when he and his friend were allegedly assaulted by the gang.

The 23-year-old told Paisley Sheriff Court he was kicked on the ground and struck with the weapon, which he had used earlier to prepare the campsite.

He described rolling around on the grass trying to avoid the blade but sustained four or five blows, including to his neck, right arm, and leg. His friend, Jens Kuchenmeister, described seeing "blood everywhere".

The alleged attack took place last summer as the two Germans were walking up the west coast, intending to complete the West Highland Way. They arrived in Greenock at around 6 or 7pm on 24 August

and found an area of waste ground where they intended to set up camp.

But before they could pitch their tent, they said a group of aggressive teenage girls approached them.

They allegedly looked through the tourists' possessions, before one girl threw one of Mr Kuchenmeister's sandals in a nearby stream, making off with the other shoe. Mr Kuchenmeister, a student at Karlsruhe University, said he was then punched on the head five or six times by a man, before he was put in a headlock and bitten on the right ear.

Under questioning by procurator fiscal depute Frank Clark, Mr Tobor described how he was "very confused and in shock".

The court heard how Mr Tobor attempted to take out his mobile phone to contact the police, but three men approached him. He was punched on the nose before he could make the call.

"One girl shouted to the boys that, 'He has an axe'. She must have seen it before," he added. "After I heard the girl shout, one of the guys had the axe in his hand.

"He pulled his arm up and with great power hit me with the axe. I got hit four times on my body, but they tried maybe ten, 12 times. I was rolling around on the grass so not every hit me. One was very close, it was towards my neck. At the very last second I turned so I just had a scratch."

Joseph McCairn, 19, Andrew Barron, 18, and Lee McClure, 17, are accused of attacking Mr Tobor with an axe, knocking him to the ground, before kicking him repeatedly on the body to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

They are also accused of acting in a racially aggravated manner by shouting, swearing, and uttering threats and racial abuse at them.

A fourth accused, 17-year-old Sophia Collins, is charged with conducting herself in a disorderly manner, shouting, swearing, throwing Mr Kuchenmeister's shoes into a stream, and breach of the peace.

Barron and McClure, from Greenock's Lansbury Street, and Collins, from the town's Broadstone Avenue, all deny the charges before them.

The trial before Sheriff Neil Douglas continues.