PDA

View Full Version : Please Don`t Buy African Drums...

Oresai
11-25-2008, 06:01 AM
This is not the first news story I`ve read or heard about, where imported skins used in making djembe or other African drums contain anthrax spores. At least two men, both drum makers, have died recently through working with these hides.
Many years ago I was present at Soutra Aisle, a ninth century hospice, in the Border hills. There was a blood letting pit there, where the monks would have disposed of blood from infected patients. In the pit were active anthrax spores, after all these centuries. (amongst other things, one of the nastier things being wireworm..:eek:)
But I have seen an increase of infected skins being imported from Africa.
They`re cheap, you see, where home produced skins cost a little more to offset the superior animal husbandry needed to ensure the health and welfare of the animal.
I work with animal skins every day. I know the source of them...all are locally produced and I can show anyone the source of each skin....but folks importing skins from Africa and Turkey run the risk of catching, and dying from anthrax.
Well, for anyone working with leather, hide, suede, please make sure you know where your raw material comes from, and if you can, please buy local or at least avoid African and Turkish produce. Anthrax is no joke.

Source, The Scotsman Online.

Warfare experts' advice sought

Date: 25 November 2008
By Kirsty Urquhart

SCOTTISH health officials were forced to contact German warfare experts for advice on how to decontaminate the Borders village hall where deadly anthrax spores were found, an inquiry heard yesterday.
UK authorities had so little experience of dealing with the disease that they were forced to seek international help, following the death of Pascal Norris.

A team from the United States was brought in to decontaminate Smailholm village hall, near Kelso, where Mr Norris attended a West African drumming class days before his death.

There are no other recorded cases in the world of a person inhaling anthrax through playing drums, Dr Colin Ramsay told a fatal accident inquiry at Edinburgh Sheriff Court.

Mr Norris, 50, died on 8 July, 2006, as a result of inhaling anthrax spores. The strain of anthrax that killed him had not been seen in the UK before.

Dr Ramsay, of Health Protection Scotland, said

investigations focused on the drumming classes, run by husband and wife Geraldine and Nansady Keita, where Mr Norris played drums imported from West Africa.

Three of the 17 drums had anthrax on them and traces of anthrax were found on the garage floor at Mrs Keita's parents' farmhouse, where she stored drums, in the couple's own home and in their van.

Dr Ramsay said his team took advice from warfare experts in Germany and the US before the hall was decontaminated in March 2007.

The inquiry, before Sheriff Principle Edward Bowen, QC, continues.

Alison
11-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Scary. thanks for the heads up. I don't buy those drums here.

Vulpix
11-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Who would want to buy African drums anyway :D?

Thanks for the warning though, better safe than sorry :thumbs up.