PDA

View Full Version : ID Cards

Oresai
11-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Much as I can see their point, I`m beginning to wonder (after reading what will be stored on the cards) how long it`ll be afore the government starts wanting to barcode the backs of our necks....

source, Yahoo news.

Government ID cards scheme to begin

The first phase of the Government's Identity Card scheme is due to begin operating.
Some groups of foreign nationals looking to extend their stay in Britain will begin applying for the cards, which will be issued from later this week.

Groups suspected of trying to abuse the immigration system, such as those applying for student and marriage visas, will be the first card holders.

Within three years all new foreign workers will be issued with cards and ministers expect 90% coverage by 2014.

Applicants will have their fingerprints and photographs taken at six ID card centres in Croydon, Sheffield, Glasgow, Liverpool, Birmingham and Cardiff.

Between 50,000 and 60,000 cards will be issued by the end of March, ministers predict.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said: "In time identity cards for foreign nationals will replace paper documents and give employers a safe and secure way of checking a migrant's right to work and study in the UK."

The cards will store biometric information such as fingerprints and an electronic impression of the holder's face.

Their name, date of birth, nationality and details of their right to work and stay in the country will be printed on the face of the card.

Shadow home secretary Dominic Grieve said: "This is a gimmick but it is a gimmick with a price. While these 'ID cards' won't stop illegal immigration or terrorism, they will land the taxpayer with a multibillion-pound bill."

Maverick
11-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Not long. ID cards may shave off the sharp end of the crime stats but their real objective is to barcode you..

Vulpix
11-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I agree. It's all about controlling the masses.

Not long. ID cards may shave off the sharp end of the crime stats but their real objective is to barcode you..

WinterMoon
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
They already are placing RFID chips into humans. The FDA has cleared it (http://www.verichipcorp.com/content/company/rfidtags) for use to hold medical records. I have also read articles in the past about other ways that the chips are currently being used.

Revenant
11-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Govts can already find out all they need to know about you as it is. If you have a mobile phone, credit card/bankcard, are on the internet, have used a healthcare service they can easily track you and see what you're up to through all of these.

I think the extra id checks have been getting excessive lately, I had to be fingerprinted, photographed and show my drivers license just to get into a pub in Perth on the weekend.

Vulpix
11-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Whaaaaaaat :eek::eek:!!

I had to be fingerprinted, photographed and show my drivers license just to get into a pub in Perth on the weekend.

Revenant
11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Whaaaaaaat :eek::eek:!!

Yep, it's because of fights, glassings etc, notice the pic they used here too.
:rolleyes2:

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/nightclubs-resort-to-fingerprint-scans-20081124-6f0u.html

Vulpix
11-25-2008, 02:50 PM
:shocked::eek3:

Yep, it's because of fights, glassings etc, notice the pic they used here too.
:rolleyes2:

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/nightclubs-resort-to-fingerprint-scans-20081124-6f0u.html

Alison
11-25-2008, 02:57 PM
George Orwell's Big Brother, 1984?

I have mixed feelings about this. It will be good to catch the criminals, but the honest people are having their lives invaded more and more by governments.

Perhaps they should chip criminals and leave the rest of us alone.

Skandi
11-25-2008, 09:50 PM
I don't think it will stop criminals of any type all it will do is make identity theft that much easier. I refuse to give my fingerprints anywhere, even for cloakroom scanners in nightclubs, where I know damn well they don't keep records. I've left shops before because they wanted a fingerprint if you were paying by card.
Identity cards are a gross violation of privacy, we already have a passport and a driving licence what do we need another piece of beurocracy for?