PDA

View Full Version : Loneliness and intelligence

Han Cholo
04-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I am not sure if a similar thread to this has been made, so if it has, I would be glad if it was merged by a moderator.

This is not really a conventional thread but a chain of reflective thoughts. I am not sure if lonely people somehow become more intelligent due to spending more time exploring the deepest places inside their own minds, or it's the other way around: intelligent people become lonely because there are few people who understand them. As for me, I feel misunderstood. I have social interaction but it's only superficial. I don't get along most people. Seeing any conventional social site like facebook depresses me, I see way too much shallowness, memes, people publishing things about their own personal life which they should not be even posting, crappy music, getting all happy when their football team wins. None of that is of interest to me.

I've come to the conclusion loneliness is an unavoidable price to pay when you have deep seet thoughts. However sometimes I'm deeply sickened by my own mental labyrinth and its dead ends.

Is there a way to find a balance? I feel my mind is a prison. I feel my life would be easier and happier if my IQ was just 2 digits.

SilverKnight
04-29-2012, 11:38 PM
I am not sure if a similar thread to this has been made, so if it has, I would be glad if it was merged by a moderator.

This is not really a conventional thread but a chain of reflective thoughts. I am not sure if lonely people somehow become more intelligent due to spending more time exploring the deepest places inside their own minds, or it's the other way around: intelligent people become lonely because there are few people who understand them. As for me, I feel misunderstood. I have social interaction but it's only superficial. I don't get along most people. Seeing any conventional social site like facebook depresses me, I see way too much shallowness, memes, people publishing things about their own personal life which they should not be even posting, crappy music, getting all happy when their football team wins. None of that is of interest to me.

I've come to the conclusion loneliness is an unavoidable price to pay when you have deep seet thoughts. However sometimes I'm deeply sickened by my own mental labyrinth and its dead ends.

Is there a way to find a balance?

I'm with you on this matter as well. Too much garbage out there that has no interests at all on me. I'm an outgoing person at times, but most times I just rather be home doing something worth the time like studies, read a magazine, or just spent quality time with my fiancée. I had to cut a lot of friends I used to have before due to their messed up lives, I told them that I ad moved in order for them to leave me alone, I didn't try to sound rude though.

Most people these days, especially young ones are focused on too much media hype, who cars about Snooky from Jersey Shore, she has nothing productive to show. The same with music, I can't even stand FM radio anymore, they repeat the same old crap old the time. I prefer listening to my android phone or Internet radio instead. European radio stations are pretty good as they have much more varieties on their music, and not just the same old mainstream music. There's so much quality music out their like Radio Head, Muse, Sigur Ros, Mana for example to be listening to Lady Gaga (aka Madonna wanna be) and such.

Maddy
04-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Well...I understand loneliness....I've felt that way most of my life....to categorize myself: I was the loner in high school.

Is there a place to find balance?

Well....I'm not sure what advice I have for you....in my experience...my thoughts have become too deep that they brought me to a very dark place....I still don't understand the purpose of why "we" humans are on earth, etc...I think you get the idea...A lot of things do not make sense to me...and I have never been able to find answers.

So...therapy has helped. My therapist actually thinks this over "thinking" is bad...she calls it "intellectualization" (sp?)...considered a cognitive distortion. It has helped....a little bit

What has helped me most to be able to connect with whatever greater force of existence there is out there is through regular meditation....and yoga. If you have not already tried that...I highly suggest it.

Peyrol
04-30-2012, 12:08 AM
I totally agree with you!
Sometimes i think i've this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Anyway, the perfect sonf for us is this (listen the lyric)

rtpbPgR7Yi0

PetiteParisienne
04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
There have been studies that suggest there is a correlation between insomnia and high levels of intelligence. It makes sense that there would be a connection with loneliness and general melancholy, too. Having smarts generally makes one more aware. And being aware of negativity, danger, tragedy, etc. makes it difficult to be optimistic and sociable.

Osprey
05-13-2012, 04:49 AM
Intelligence leads to an independent thought process which might conflict with the crowd's thinking and thus may result in the person's disillusionment with the idea of being 'hip' and 'popular'.
Not enough focus on vocational skills might make the so called 'geeks' unoscial and thus reinforces the reason of them being alone.