PDA

View Full Version : High Intensity Interval Training

Frigga
05-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Hey fellow Shrinkers, I wanted to pass on a really awesome workout routine to you guys!

It's called High Intensity Interval Training, and it fucking rocks! Basically, you do a cardio workout for a short amount of time, where you do short intervals of the highest intensity that you can do for that period of time, with intervals of very low intensity. So what I do is this:

2-5 minutes of a warm up, a nice comfortable pace.
One 30 sec -2 minute interval, depending on what options your workout machine gives you.
One 1-2 minutes of going back to your baseline pace, or slower
Repeat for three to four cycles.
Cool down for three to five minutes.

So the treadmills at my gym do 1:15 minute intervals, so after a warm up, I do one interval of low, one of high, one low, skip the next high, then the next low, so that it works out that I'm doing 1:15 of high intensity with 2:30 of low intensity. On the elliptical, I do 2 minute intervals of both intensities. I then do a three minute cool down.

What is so great about this? You burn more calories in a shorter amount of time, so with weight training, I'm only in the gym for an hour now. Back when I did a minimum of 30 minutes, it felt like I was in the gym for forever, and for a while I did 60 minutes. And you burn a lot more belly fat with the HIIT workouts. Which after having had a baby 15 months ago, is a huge incentive to doing the workout that gives you the most for your time.

Hope all you Shrinkers enjoy the new possibility. Take care, and remember that everything good that happens starts with that very first step.

Absinthe
08-09-2012, 08:17 PM
With HIIT you also continue to burn calories after the work-out session :)