PDA

View Full Version : Henry VIII and the act of Union 1536

Óttar
05-28-2009, 08:34 PM
I wonder why Henry VIII, a Welsh Tudor who spoke Welsh (along with his father Henry VII), made English the sole language of the Realm in the Act of Union between England and Wales in 1536. The Encyclopedia Britannica maintains that Henry VIII was proud of his Welsh blood, and that the 1536 Act of Union brought about stronger links between the Welsh and English. (and I assume increased Welsh loyalty?) Why then weren't provisions put forward to defend the strongest element in the culture of the Welsh people, namely their unique tongue?

Treffie
05-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Henry VIII? (chwip! I speet on hees grave!)

Óttar
05-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Henry VIII? (chwip! I speet on hees grave!)

I'm watching the Henry VIII segment of Monarchy tonight. I can't understand why someone wouldn't look out for the welfare of their own people. Resentment towards his miserly father perhaps?

Treffie
05-29-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm watching the Henry VIII segment of Monarchy tonight. I can't understand why someone wouldn't look out for the welfare of their own people. Resentment towards his miserly father perhaps?

I didn't have much of a chance to get back to you last night, but only to show you my disdain for the man. I'm not a historian, but have a background into the history of the Welsh language. I have a theory of my own.

Firstly, I doubt that he spoke Welsh at all even though his father was no doubt a Welsh speaker but his mother wasn't. He was brought up in London and had access to the best education that was available but he did not have the same feel for Wales that his father had. When the act came into being, it contained the infamous language clause, which banned Welsh monoglot speakers from public office. English became the sole official language, essential for the ruling class in Wales, while knowledge of Welsh became at best an option, at worst an embarrassment.

Beorn
05-30-2009, 04:01 PM
It would have a lot to do with domination over potentially troublesome neighbours. Henry simple thought the Marcher lords would cause him grief in future years and went about destroying the stability of Wales.

Take away the official language of the law and you own the law.

Turkey
09-09-2011, 11:45 PM
It would have a lot to do with domination over potentially troublesome neighbours. Henry simple thought the Marcher lords would cause him grief in future years and went about destroying the stability of Wales.

He did not!

Logan
09-10-2011, 12:48 AM
http://www.historyonmaps.com/ColourSamples/cbig/Henry_VIII%20.jpg

King Henry the VIII was born at Greenwich London, his father in Wales at Pembroke Castle. England was then as now the centre of political concerns. Both these gentleman were concerned less with Keltic and more with Tudor preservation.

Union of York and Lancaster, Tudor Rose.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Tudor_rose.svg

This was at the end of a very long dynastic struggle on the island. The issues of concern were quite different than what we might today invision. They had quite different concerns.

Twas England.
http://elizabethan.org/compendium/maps/tudor-england-counties.gif