PDA

View Full Version : Russia Threatens Pre-Emptive Strike On NATO Missile Defense Shields

poiuytrewq0987
05-03-2012, 09:34 PM
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/593563/thumbs/r-RUSSIA-MISSILE-DEFENSE-NATO-huge.jpg

MOSCOW -- Russia's top military officer has threatened to carry out a pre-emptive strike on U.S.-led NATO missile defense facilities in Eastern Europe if Washington goes ahead with its controversial plan to build a missile shield.

President Dmitry Medvedev said last year that Russia will retaliate militarily if it does not reach an agreement with the United States and NATO on the missile defense system.

Chief of General Staff Nikolai Makarov went even further Thursday. "A decision to use destructive force pre-emptively will be taken if the situation worsens," he said at an international conference attended by senior U.S. and NATO officials.

Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov also warned on Thursday that talks between Moscow and Washington on the topic are "close to a dead end."

U.S. missile defense plans in Europe have been one of the touchiest subjects in U.S.-Russian relations for years.

Moscow rejects Washington's claim that the missile defense plan is solely to deal with any Iranian missile threat and has voiced fears it will eventually become powerful enough to undermine Russia's nuclear deterrent. Moscow has proposed running the missile shield jointly with NATO, but the alliance has rejected that proposal.

Makarov's statement on Thursday doesn't seem to imply an immediate threat, but aims to put extra pressure on Washington to agree to Russia's demands.

The two-day conference in Moscow is the last major Russia-U.S. meeting about military issues before a NATO summit in Chicago later this month. Russia has not yet said whether it will send top officials.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/03/russia-missile-defense-pre-emptive-strike_n_1473593.html

Albion
05-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Why do the Russians have to be such dicks all the time? If they do a pre-emptive strike then they'll be at war.

President Dmitry Medvedev said last year that Russia will retaliate militarily if it does not reach an agreement with the United States and NATO on the missile defense system.

I very stupid idea.

Moscow rejects Washington's claim that the missile defense plan is solely to deal with any Iranian missile threat

Well to be honest we all realise that's BS.

and has voiced fears it will eventually become powerful enough to undermine Russia's nuclear deterrent. Moscow has proposed running the missile shield jointly with NATO, but the alliance has rejected that proposal.

NATO show throw Russia a bone and let them run it with us. Russia is hard to trust though so we'd have to be careful about what they had access to.

Makarov's statement on Thursday doesn't seem to imply an immediate threat, but aims to put extra pressure on Washington to agree to Russia's demands.

Russia is all words at the moment but probably would attack it if it saw a American military build up in the region.

Romanion
05-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Anyone who think missle defences in Eastern europe is for Iran is very stupid. NATO should of died with the USSR.

Crn Volk
05-04-2012, 04:09 AM
NATO continues it's aggressive policies towards Russia, as if the USSR was still in existence. Russia needs to flex it's muscles.

zack
05-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Cold war is back on:Russia strong.

Kazimiera
05-04-2012, 04:13 AM
Once again we have the US sticking their finger in the proverbial pie. They're happy to cause problems elsewhere besides at home.

Russia needs to put it's foot down.

Crn Volk
05-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Cold war is back on:Russia strong.

Maybe a Luke Warm War, rather than Cold...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/12/12/us-wikileaks-venezuela-idUSTRE6BB0FN20101212

Albion
05-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Anyone who think missle defences in Eastern europe is for Iran is very stupid. NATO should of died with the USSR.

True. Russia sees it as provocation but any pre-emptive strike against another country is still inexcusable.

NATO continues it's aggressive policies towards Russia, as if the USSR was still in existence. Russia needs to flex it's muscles.

I think it goes both ways. NATO got involved in Kosovo so Russia decided to make itself heard by invading Georgia.

Once again we have the US sticking their finger in the proverbial pie. They're happy to cause problems elsewhere besides at home.

Russia needs to put it's foot down.

No, both countries need to back off. Europe always becomes the battleground and the pawns of the two powers when tensions rise.

Europe needs neutrality but this is best achieved if both the USA and Russia were induced into preserving the neutrality of the continent (if it were neutral anyway).
This would be done by keeping European countries out of military alliances whilst both sides would guarantee the sovereignty of all the countries. Any Russian or American moves such as bases, alliances or invasions in Europe would then break said neutrality and trigger a conflict (whether big or small). The theory is that neither side would be stupid enough to do that.

See the situation in Austria after WWII to get a rough idea.

Virtuous
05-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Don't fuck with the Russian bear.

Albion
05-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Don't fuck with the Russian bear.

Russian bear Vs American eagle... hmmmm... I'll back the bear. Sadly the British lion is retired though, that would have been an awesome fight. The most we got was Crimea, Afghanistan and Persia though.

poiuytrewq0987
05-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Russian bear Vs American eagle... hmmmm... I'll back the bear. Sadly the British lion is retired though, that would have been an awesome fight. The most we got was Crimea, Afghanistan and Persia though.

Quite possible Germany will assume the former role of Britain. All that money Germany has earned will have to go somewhere.

Romanion
05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Europe needs neutrality but this is best achieved if both the USA and Russia were induced into preserving the neutrality of the continent (if it were neutral anyway).
This would be done by keeping European countries out of military alliances whilst both sides would guarantee the sovereignty of all the countries. Any Russian or American moves such as bases, alliances or invasions in Europe would then break said neutrality and trigger a conflict (whether big or small). The theory is that neither side would be stupid enough to do that.

See the situation in Austria after WWII to get a rough idea.

Europe needs to leave NATO. NATO hasn't helped European peace after the fall of the USSR. All it continues to do is give a reason for dozens of American military bases in Europe and provoking Russia who sees its nuclear deterrent defence undermined. How many foriegn military bases are in America? unless someonw corrects me, it's zero.

NATO turned into an American imperialists arm, only there to fulfill the interests of American foriegn policy. Europe should stay neutral unless directly invovled, or if it wants to mature, form its own defensive alliance.

Supreme American
05-04-2012, 01:59 PM
White dudes talking shit like a bunch of stupid North Koreans.

/facepalm

poiuytrewq0987
05-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Europe needs to leave NATO. NATO hasn't helped European peace after the fall of the USSR. All it continues to do is give a reason for dozens of American military bases in Europe and provoking Russia who sees its nuclear deterrent defence undermined. How many foriegn military bases are in America? unless someonw corrects me, it's zero.

NATO turned into an American imperialists arm, only there to fulfill the interests of American foriegn policy. Europe should stay neutral unless directly invovled, or if it wants to mature, form its own defensive alliance.

What Russia needs to do is join the NATO and form a common defense pact that would in essence be a common defence alliance for all European nations. All this jockeying by the Russians is doing us no good.

Romanion
05-05-2012, 07:33 PM
What Russia needs to do is join the NATO and form a common defense pact that would in essence be a common defence alliance for all European nations. All this jockeying by the Russians is doing us no good.

That probability is almost zero.

Xenomorph
05-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Saying stuff like this only makes Russia look stupid, as we know they are not going to retaliate.

SilverKnight
05-06-2012, 08:24 PM

umm... I saw a military Humvee convoy on the highway today, followed by some huge artillery carrier vehicle, makes me wonder what's about to hit the fan soon.

Dead Eye
05-07-2012, 05:11 AM
I don't think Russia will sit on its arse for much longer.Russia is feeling more and more threatened as time goes on and i think something will cause them to erupt soon.

Crn Volk
05-07-2012, 05:16 AM
I don't think Russia will sit on its arse for much longer.Russia is feeling more and more threatened as time goes on and i think something will cause them to erupt soon.

All those oil and gas revenues have also increased the wealth of Russia. Putin has also just won another Presedential term....