PDA

View Full Version : Would Bulgaria step in to defend Macedonia should a major war break out in the country?

poiuytrewq0987
05-04-2012, 11:26 AM
The reason I ask is because of interesting youtube commentary:

In 1990-ies the Yugoslav federation apart is hard. On September 8, 1991 in Macedonia held a independence referendum, in which majority of the population voted for separation, but also as necessary for inclusion in the new Yugoslav Federal State. (Many see this wording the opportunity to union between genuine similar countries who live in division - the Republic of Bulgaria and Macedonia).

On 18 september , 1991, exactly 106 years after the Unification of the Principality of Bulgaria with Eastern Rumelia, was proclaimed the independence of the Republic of Macedonia. Two months later adopted its constitution, which completes the initial phase of its emancipate On 15 january , 1992 Bulgaria first in the world recognized the new state.

The reason is clear - the macedonian slavs have Bulgarian origin and the separation of this community allows future unification with mother Bulgaria.

Only reason to separate peacefully Macedonia from the former Yugoslavia is its Bulgarian character. Macedonians are Bulgarians and if the Serb tanks were headed for Skopje, the Bulgarian army would be thrown down to the ground Belgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLfFJ5YBl1k

We already got some help from Bulgaria back in the 2001 war by way of heavy armament supplies and armor. I think this form of aid would continue should the Albanians try something again. The ultimate irony of this is probably the Albanians are only rebelling because they constitute 25% of Macedonia population but if Bulgaria and Macedonia were in a federation? Albanians would be immediately relegated to only 5% (509,000) of total population whereas Bulgarians-Macedonians would constitute 84% or 7.4 million of total population.

morski
05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Every third Bulgarian has ancestors from Macedonia, so most Bulgarians still see the Macedonians as their brothers, blood of their blood. Should anything that critical happen South-West of Sofia there will be without a doubt a reaction.

That being said, Bulgaria's policy concerning that matter is one of extreme caution. All the problems the Serbs had during the disintegration of Yugoslavia we had already had in the first half of the XX c. precisely because of Macedonia.

So most people in Bulgaria who understand the Macedonian question wish for Macedonia to stay stable and get into NATO and EU as soon as possible (a kind of re-unification). To what extent our politicians are able to influence such outcome is questionable, though.

Sometimes I catch myself thinking that Greece and Serbia still play together in a covert game to prevent any such developments causing instability in the republic... but that's probably just my paranoid side.:)

Vojnik
05-04-2012, 12:29 PM
I think Bulgaria would happily make a deal with the Albanians to split Macedonia in half rather then help.

morski
05-04-2012, 12:35 PM
I think Bulgaria would happily make a deal with the Albanians to split Macedonia in half rather then help.

I have seen such opinions being voiced in the Bulgarian blogosphere. We wouldn't gain anything from such a move, though. I seriously doubt that our political elite would involve us in such a mess. I mean, they seem kinda incompetent at times, but not that incompetent.:D

Vojnik
05-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I wish for Macedonia to just remain the way it is, Our forefathers fought hard to achieve an independent Macedonian state. Finally there is one and sadly, people are trying to rip it away from us. I disagree with joining with any country, including Bulgaria, which has been mentioned in another thread. That suggestion is just unacceptable.

iNird
05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
I wish for Macedonia to just remain the way it is, Our forefathers fought hard to achieve an independent Macedonian state. Finally there is one and sadly, people are trying to rip it away from us. I disagree with joining with any country, including Bulgaria, which has been mentioned in another thread. That suggestion is just unacceptable.

Keep the external borders the way it is...........with a touch of federalization ofc.

:D

Ivo Arandur
05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Would Bulgaria step in to defend Macedonia should a major war break out in the country?

Hmm...depends...in what sense are you asking your question?...If you mean whether our government would involve Bulgaria in a war to defend Macedonia - then it all depends on whether we have any geo-politcal interest to help you guys + it also depends on our partners in NATO, EU etc...

...but if you are asking if the people of Bulgaria would be willing to help Macedonia, if they would put pressure on the government to help Macedonia, if there's going to be a sentimental impulse amongst the Bulgarian people to help you guys etc. - then I think no :( Of course I'm talking in general terms - there would be many exceptions but as a whole (I believe) the people in Bulgaria have lost their illusions about Macedonia...I think in the beginning of the 90s we would've helped you on 100% against Greece or Serbia or whoever would've tried to attack you (and I'm guessing the guy who made that youtube comment was right - Bulgaria's silent protection probably was the main reason for your peaceful separation from Yugoslavia)...but 2 decades have past since that time and most people's romantic attitude towards Macedonia and the Macedonians has crashed head on with reality and there are much fewer people nowadays who seriously think Macedonia=Bulgaria and Macedonians=our brothers -> of course they may say those things on some nationalistic forums or just to troll you guys but I don't think they really believe it (I mean they wouldn't go to the battlefield to fight on your side as they would if they really thought you are "one blood" with them/us)

Crn Volk
05-08-2012, 12:52 AM
And yet, both Bulgaria and Serbia want to protect our airspace...

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n274922

Nova Makedonija: Bulgaria, Serbia willing to protect Macedonian air space

04 April 2012 | 14:18 | FOCUS News Agency
Home / Southeast Europe and Balkans

Skopje. For several years Bulgaria and Serbia have been proposing Macedonia to sign an agreement for defence of the Macedonian air space, Nova Makedonija daily writes.
The country lacks military aircrafts, since the Sukhoi fighters of the Army of the Republic of Macedonia need serious repair. According to experts, signing an agreement with Bulgaria or Serbia is much cheaper.
The newspaper comments further that if Macedonia inks an agreement with Serbia, it would last until the accession in NATO, while if it signs an agreement with Bulgaria, its term could be extended after joining the Alliance.
Both Bulgaria and Serbia are ready to send an entire squadron to Skopje and between 5 to 10 MIG-29 aircrafts.

Guapo
05-08-2012, 12:52 AM
what's bulgaria

poiuytrewq0987
05-08-2012, 12:57 AM
And yet, both Bulgaria and Serbia want to protect our airspace...

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n274922

Nova Makedonija: Bulgaria, Serbia willing to protect Macedonian air space

04 April 2012 | 14:18 | FOCUS News Agency
Home / Southeast Europe and Balkans

Skopje. For several years Bulgaria and Serbia have been proposing Macedonia to sign an agreement for defence of the Macedonian air space, Nova Makedonija daily writes.
The country lacks military aircrafts, since the Sukhoi fighters of the Army of the Republic of Macedonia need serious repair. According to experts, signing an agreement with Bulgaria or Serbia is much cheaper.
The newspaper comments further that if Macedonia inks an agreement with Serbia, it would last until the accession in NATO, while if it signs an agreement with Bulgaria, its term could be extended after joining the Alliance.
Both Bulgaria and Serbia are ready to send an entire squadron to Skopje and between 5 to 10 MIG-29 aircrafts.

Extremely good news. We actually should extend that agreement to a full-fledged defense pact with Serbia and Bulgaria. A mini-entente, one would say. :)

Crn Volk
05-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Extremely good news. We actually should extend that agreement to a full-fledged defense pact with Serbia and Bulgaria. A mini-entente, one would say. :)

Agree. Macedonia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Montenegro and Republika Srpska are all brotherley Orthodox Slavic nations. We should put aside our differences and embrace our commonality

http://ler1246.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/dsc023452.jpg