PDA

View Full Version : Germans to Thrash Romans in Minnesota!

Psychonaut
05-29-2009, 11:27 PM
I was pleasantly shocked to see this story. I can hardly believe that a whole town in modern America would be so devoted to their German heritage!

This year marks the 2000th anniversary of the destruction of three Roman legions at the hands of a German tribal coalition led by Herman, known to the Romans as “Arminius.” This engagement, one of the “fifteen decisive battles” in world history, kept Germania from being overrun by the multicultural hordes of the late Roman Empire. In short, it saved the Germany, and the German people, that we know today.

The town of New Ulm, Minnesota will have a three-day festival on September 18-20 to honor their German heritage at their Hermann Monument. This will be a huge event complete with visiting foreign dignitaries, fireworks, a parade, a Roman encampment, and a recreation of that fateful September day in 9 AD.

On Saturday September 19, a 2000-year-old event in history will be revisited. Local historical reenactors and just plain citizens are invited to participate in the battle. Saturday afternoon at the Roman campsite, they can join one of the tribes: Hermann's Cherusci Auxiliaries, the Bructeri, Marsi, or a tribe of their own.. Hosts of the event will supply the face paint and some Cherusci Auxiliary uniforms.

The celebration is being sponsored by the town of New Ulm, the State of Minnesota, along with Legio XIIII Martia Victrix, and my group Legio X Equestris Veneria (Rome Chicago).

It's good to see this level of activism; in times past, funds couldn't be found even for routine maintenance of the monument. I hope this celebration will help put a little cash in their coffers. This event is a great opportunity for those of us who follow Asatru!

Interested Romans and barbarians should contact kev.kmw@gmail.com or jkmake@gmail.com.

More information: http://hermannmonument.com/

http://hermannmonument.com/images/closeup_3_x_5_statue.jpg

Electronic God-Man
05-29-2009, 11:39 PM
This engagement, one of the “fifteen decisive battles” in world history, kept Germania from being overrun by the multicultural hordes of the late Roman Empire.

The celebration is being sponsored by...my group Legio X Equestris Veneria (Rome Chicago).

It's good to see this level of activism...This event is a great opportunity for those of us who follow Asatru!

Is it just me or does anyone else find it funny that the guy who wrote the article is in a Roman re-enact group yet he talks about the multicultural hordes of the Roman Empire and also about how great it is to see this level of activism and following Asatru?

I'm just confused. So is he a German-American Asatruar who dabbles in Roman army reenactment? That seems odd if he calls out the Roman Empire for being "multicultural".

Come to think of it, isn't he being a bit multicultural?

Psychonaut
05-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else find it funny that the guy who wrote the article is in a Roman re-enact group yet he talks about the multicultural hordes of the Roman Empire and also about how great it is to see this level of activism and following Asatru?

I'm just confused. So is he a German-American Asatruar who dabbles in Roman army reenactment? That seems odd if he calls out the Roman Empire for being "multicultural".

Come to think of it, isn't he being a bit multicultural?

LOL! Wow the misunderstanding is all my fault. I pasted this article from an Asatru blog. That little bit must've been an addition from the Heathen blogger, not the organizer of the activity. Their website looks entirely secular.