PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to make it better?

Kazimiera
05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
What do you find that works for you? What makes it go away and makes you feel better?

Albion
05-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Beer's good for social anxiety but I don't want to become a frickin' alcoholic.

No, really I do nothing about it so far. I'm just very controlled about how I act in public.

Fortis in Arduis
05-11-2012, 03:21 AM
Getting adequate rest.

Reduce audio and visual stimulation.

Sunglasses and in-ear headphones as ear-plugs, especially when travelling.

Yoga, hard or gentle as required.

Meditation twice daily.

Positive thinking, and affirmations.

Focussing on one activity at a time.

Rising early, and taking advantage of the small hours, sleeping early.

Routinising the day to make it as predictable as possible.

No caffeinated drinks.

Avoiding bullshit and bullshit people who do not care about my well-being.

Laughing in the face of bullshit.

Regular meal times to avoid spikes in blood sugar; reducing carbohydrates generally to avoid peaks and troughs. Avoiding fast foods.

Diarising activities. Planning activities.

Keeping on top of housework and paperwork, reducing clutter.

Making and keeping useful appointments.

Reminding myself that happiness, thoughts and emotions are choices.

Albion
05-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Does ditching Caffeine actually do much?

Fortis in Arduis
05-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Yes, if one is addicted and consuming more than one should.

There is no reason to have more than one cup of coffee at breakfast. Also, Germans will never have coffee after 5pm.

Albion
05-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Yes, if one is addicted and consuming more than one should.

There is no reason to have more than one cup of coffee at breakfast. Also, Germans will never have coffee after 5pm.

I noticed if I have it right before bed I get some right messed up dreams. :D I never usually dream much.

Fortis in Arduis
05-12-2012, 10:56 AM
I noticed if I have it right before bed I get some right messed up dreams. :D I never usually dream much.

You do not sound as though you are sensitive to caffeine, because if that were me I would be going until 4am, and probably on this forum.

Do your anxieties relate to past experiences? I ask the question because your troubles sound psychological rather than neurological, in which case they could possibly be fixed with cognitive behavioural therapy.

There is an additional possibility, which is that you are putting yourself in the wrong environment. I wasted time doing this at university, when I should have followed my gut instinct, and stuck with my yoga teachers; my yoga contemporaries are now teaching teachers while I am still trying to teach beginners.

I was literally too cool for school, and it was foolish of me to get sucked into studying useless humanities subjects, as one of Anthony Blair's 'fillers'. :coffee:

It might be that you are doing what is expected of you rather than what you would be best at doing, thus your anxiety.

Vixen
05-12-2012, 11:03 AM
chocolate, vodka, shopping, sex, xanax...
(not recommending alcohol, just saying what works for me)

Fortis in Arduis
05-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Absolutely ^ drugs offer solutions, but the wrong solutions, and often create an additional problem.

Benzodiazepine addiction is particularly nasty, and the symptoms are a mental illness in themselves. Lots of paranoia.

Graham
05-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Walks in the countryside, exercise or red wine in moderation. :)

Also found gardening to be good as of late.

Graham
05-12-2012, 11:30 AM

Helps you sleep better and a good sleep helps.

Not helpful if you have a racing heart too. Although for some it probably doesn't matter.

Albion
05-12-2012, 07:24 PM
You do not sound as though you are sensitive to caffeine, because if that were me I would be going until 4am, and probably on this forum.

Caffeine makes me fall into a deeper sleep, I suppose it's the effects of it wearing off.

Do your anxieties relate to past experiences? I ask the question because your troubles sound psychological rather than neurological, in which case they could possibly be fixed with cognitive behavioural therapy.

I was very confident as a kid but bullied through most of high school and lost my confidence. It's true what they say about kids being mean.
I've never bothered to do anything about it, just lived with it as best I could.

There is an additional possibility, which is that you are putting yourself in the wrong environment. I wasted time doing this at university, when I should have followed my gut instinct, and stuck with my yoga teachers; my yoga contemporaries are now teaching teachers while I am still trying to teach beginners.

I'm not sure, I suppose I avoid difficult situations but I don't think that'll change any time soon.

I was literally too cool for school, and it was foolish of me to get sucked into studying useless humanities subjects, as one of Anthony Blair's 'fillers'. :coffee:

I see. I ended up on one of those and it was only in my last year of college that I found out what I really wanted to do. It was a waste of time, I suppose college helped to keep unemployment figures down for the government back then.

It might be that you are doing what is expected of you rather than what you would be best at doing, thus your anxiety.

My anxiety is social, I really hate communicating with people I don't know. Even with people I have known for a few weeks it takes months until I'm fully comfortable around them.

Albion
05-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Walks in the countryside, exercise or red wine in moderation. :)

Also found gardening to be good as of late.

I do that too (don't drink much wine though). It's funny that you mention gardening, I found that very relaxing too. There's not much to do in the garden at the moment though. :(

Helps you sleep better and a good sleep helps.

Not helpful if you have a racing heart too. Although for some it probably doesn't matter.

I don't notice much difference in heart rate after having coffee. It's interesting to see you observed that as well, that it helps you sleep.

Stefan
05-12-2012, 07:41 PM
- Pacing

- Tapping; a pen usually.

- Isolating myself, somehow.

- Deeply involve in a special interest. This is usually reading about a topic I like, or playing with some problems that are a challenge. This helps me by distracting me mostly.

- Developing an organized step-by-step process to accomplish whichever task, or remove whichever object/person is causing the anxiety.

Vasconcelos
05-12-2012, 07:44 PM
- Deeply involve in a special interest. This is usually reading about a topic I like, or playing with some problems that are a challenge. This helps me by distracting me mostly.

I do this very often aswell.

Kazimiera
05-13-2012, 01:21 AM
I always thought the caffeine thing was a load of bull. Until one day I had a series of hectic panic attacks, one after the other. I'm on a lot of medication for other things too (Bipolar Mood Disorder) and amongst others I had some benzodiapines prescribed as well. Any way, I reached over and popped a Valium. And I wondered where this all came from.

Usually my anxiety attacks are related to something or other but I couldn't pinpoint this one. Until my husband pointed out that I'd just finished an energy drink in two gulps.

So caffeine is bad, and as people drink coffee everyday, it can increase anxiety.

I then decided to stop drinking coffee and caffeinated drinks for a week, just to try it out. Voila! No anxiety! Or at least less.

My anxiety became so bad that I had it from the morning when I stood up until the time I went to bed. I found stuff to obsess about every day. If I had a day of non-obsession I wondered what was wrong with me. I did this for two years, every day. I was exhausted in the morning when I got up from all the anxiety from the day before.

I then had a depressive Bipolar episode loaded with tons of anxiety too. I told the doctor how I felt and he tried me on an antidepressant. With Bipolar antidepressants can be quite risky, it might get you out of the depression but also them swing you skywards into a mania. He tried out a special one which has minimal risk for 'switching' from one mood to another. And I can honestly say that I have no more panic attacks, no more low grand anxiety which takes it out of you.

I suffered for 2 years. Probably even longer. The medication saved me ass. but I have also had to change my life around a little.

I think the best for someone would be to start off with some breathing techniques and visualisations.

Going to a doctor will get you prescription drugs, which are really there to put a lid on the pot. But underneath the anxiety is boiling. And the reason is what needs to be addressed.

Some people respond well to medication but it is also not for everyone. There are so many ways one can go about taking care of oneself. And they are really so simple that they may have passed you by completely.

I will try to find out more treatment modalities.

And I ask you all, if you hear of something new and would like to post it, please do.

We all have so much to learn from each other! I'd like to keep this group as active as possible because I believe that other people here with experience are able to help others too.

Please don't be shy to post things which you have come across which would be of interest to others here!

Grumpy Cat
05-13-2012, 06:44 AM
I don't really do anything but tough it out. Cry if I'm alone.

Having a bad day today.

My doctor won't give me benzos. He'll give me zyprexa, which I refuse to take.

Sikeliot
05-13-2012, 06:45 AM
Exercise and eating. I gave up cigarettes just under a year ago.

Grumpy Cat
05-13-2012, 06:50 AM
I have been very anxious lately. Tips would help.

I never have anxiety attacks, just lingering anxiety. It sucks.

Loki
05-13-2012, 07:26 AM
What do you find that works for you? What makes it go away and makes you feel better?

I don't personally suffer from anxiety, but I've heard from people that camomile tea is a little miracle indeed. That and yoga will change your life.

and lots of sex of course

Vixen
05-13-2012, 07:43 AM

I´ve given up on going to psychiatrists/psychologists. They´ve never helped and often just made things worse. I was extremely shy as a child, and somewhat of a daydreamer (didnt always pay attention in class) so my mother sent me to a shrink and they diagnosed me with ADD and started giving me Ritalin and Prosac, even though there was nothing really wrong with me. Even at 8 years old I was smart enough to know that I didn´t really need these meds.

After a few months I decided I was sick and tired of being drugged, so I stopped taking them in secret and made an effort to be more attentive and sociable in school. The doctors were amazed at how I had improved, so I told my mother the truth. The doctors then asked my mother and the school nurse to make sure I swallowed my meds, which caused even further harm to my confidence and self esteem. I felt like there was something wrong with me, that I was stupid or crazy and needed medication in order to be a normal child.

As the years passed, the Ritalin and Prosac started causing behavioral problems and eventually I was able to prove that I did´t need them. But I feel as though a lot of my anxiety and depression stems from those years where I was forcibly medicated. I also now have a phobia of all doctors.

Lithium
05-13-2012, 07:49 AM
In my opinion the drugs can help avoiding and reducing the problem but they can't solve it. I was addicted to antidepressants with illegal Lithium and I could say that they made me numb and forget about my anxiety/ manic depression but they didn't solve my problems. The thing that made me feel better and stop taking drugs was my religion, it really helped me being more positive, calm and social. Breaking the anxiety circle and it's sources is the best way to start the change.

Fortis in Arduis
05-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I don't really do anything but tough it out. Cry if I'm alone.

Having a bad day today.

Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome is very serious.

If you are suffering from withdrawals then your doctor should be obliged to prescribe a reduction schedule for you.

The Ashton Manual:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

can advise you how to reduce and manage your dependency.

Also there is a new medication for Generalised Anxiety Disorder

Usually physicians will start the patient on a low dose of pregabalin and increase it gradually, depending on the patient's evaluation. Its therapeutic effect appears after 1 week of use and is similar in effectiveness to lorazepam, alprazolam and venlafaxine but pregabalin has demonstrated superiority by producing more consistent therapeutic effects for psychic and somatic anxiety symptoms. Long-term trials have shown continued effectiveness without the development of tolerance and additionally unlike benzodiazepines it does not disrupt sleep architecture and produces less severe cognitive and psychomotor impairment; it also has a low potential for abuse and dependence and may be preferred over the benzodiazepines for these reasons.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregabalin#section_4

The patent has yet to expire (predicted 2018) and thus it is more expensive.

Benzodiazepines came after barbiturates. Pregabalin, baclofen and gabapentin are the new range of wonder drugs. I'd be cautious, but they look less addictive, on paper.

Zyprexa is addictive, which is why, I assume, some docs like to prescribe it (to ensure their patients take their medication) and yes, they make one fat.

Loki
05-13-2012, 09:07 AM
I´ve given up on going to psychiatrists/psychologists. They´ve never helped and often just made things worse.

Come to Doctor Loki, he will sort you out.

Seriously ... I've helped myself, now I want to help others as well.

I don't know why .. I've become interested in medicine and psychiatry over the last few years, and it is one of my favourite fields of interest (not just Turkey and Albania ;) ).

My sister has been an intensive care nurse for over 20 years in the most demanding hospitals of South Africa, all the time dealing with severe injuries, gunshot wounds, emergency operations and such. The fact that she comes to me for advice quite frankly astonishes me ... :eek:

Vixen
05-13-2012, 09:13 AM
My sister has been an intensive care nurse for over 20 years in the most demanding hospitals of South Africa, all the time dealing with severe injuries, gunshot wounds, emergency operations and such. The fact that she comes to me for advice quite frankly astonishes me ... :eek:

Some people are just naturally good listeners and easy to talk to. I find that talking to a good friend is often much more helpful than going to a doctor that does not know me well or understand me the way a friend does.

Albion
05-13-2012, 09:26 AM
I then decided to stop drinking coffee and caffeinated drinks for a week, just to try it out. Voila! No anxiety! Or at least less.

Maybe I could try that.

KidMulat
05-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Currently I am taking 18g of Inositol, 12g of Soy Lecithen, and 8g of triphala

Two peer review study showed that Inisitol when taken in 12 and 18g does worked the same as or better than Fluvoxamine without the side effects for people with panic attacks along with a range of other conditions

Fluvoxamine CR (controlled release) is approved to treat social anxiety disorder.[2] Fluvoxamine is also prescribed to treat major depressive disorder (MDD) and anxiety disorders, such as panic disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder

Soy Lecithin for brain function in general and Triphala used for my Vata (air) constitution it has a very stron kapha (earth) and pitta (fire) quality to it that helps ground me and keep me calm.

Sesame oil messaged on my forehead and bottoms of my feet before bed and a low processed food diet help but I still deal with things as my diet has been off and depression hits me and I get off track.

Over all though things are better for me; I've been working on this for years and I have come to realize my body at this age is changing and I am constantly adjusting between diets: 80/10/10; high fat, high protein low carb; raw vegan (local); raw vegan (whatever); high dairy (80% calories); a almost pure meat diet; mostly or whole fermented etc... Now I am eating mostly dimsum (cheap, accessible, and large amounts) and I am doing okay :)

Fortis in Arduis
05-13-2012, 11:41 PM
How do you eat the inositol? As a big lump of candy? :D

A zero-carb sweetie which acts as an anxiolytic... Nice.

Ayurveda is for the long-haul. It is difficult when fad diets are everywhere. I just want to be thin etc., but we supposedly aim for immortality, enlightenment and perfect health.

KidMulat
05-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Its a powder; I am told its water soluble but I am kind of iffy about that information; so I normally take it with grass-fed milk yogurt (whole) as it seems to assimilate faster and longer in my body.

At a very small taste its sweet but I seem to also notice an almost citric-sharp/sour taste but it gets masked in the already sour yogurt. :tongue

I totally understand Ayurveda I can't go 100% but there are a number of ashrams, centers, settlements in and around SF Bay were I could, if I wanted to but I just don't think its wise to eat like that in a climate that has a very different set of seasons.

Barreldriver
05-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Since my insurance is not accepted by the nearby clinic I've got to improvise, I find that rackin' on my banjer helps but it only goes so far.