PDA

View Full Version : Should polygamy be legal?

Yaroslav
05-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Simple poll. :)

I vote yes, I personally would never engage in it but it should be legal.

Sikeliot
05-17-2012, 10:57 PM
No.

Panopticon
05-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes. I don't see why the choice of people and their own sexual preferences should be up to anyone but the individuals themselves to choose over. The state should not have any say and personal choises like these should not be prohibited by law. Besides, I dislike that Christian/religious morality has any say in society, especially when it affects non-religious people. If people don't like something they can abstain from it, but they don't need to force others to behave in the same way.

Arne
05-17-2012, 11:37 PM
But only racially compatible females..

PetiteParisienne
05-17-2012, 11:58 PM
No.

Heart of Oak
05-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Absolutely not.....

Hayalet
05-18-2012, 12:09 AM
As long as the number of males and females are more or less equal in the society, I don't see any point in legalizing it, no.

Supreme American
05-18-2012, 12:22 AM
I don't think we live in an Islamic country.

Supreme American
05-18-2012, 12:23 AM
As long as the number of males and females are more or less equal in the society, I don't see any point in legalizing it, no.

Polygamy means fewer women for the single men, and that's a big problem.

dralos
05-18-2012, 12:26 AM
yes yes and yes

Yaroslav
05-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Yes. I don't see why the choice of people and their own sexual preferences should be up to anyone but the individuals themselves to choose over. The state should not have any say and personal choises like these should not be prohibited by law. Besides, I dislike that Christian/religious morality has any say in society, especially when it affects non-religious people. If people don't like something they can abstain from it, but they don't need to force others to behave in the same way.

Christianity ALLOWS polygamy, it is not against our morality to do polygamy. If it it then it's man made tradition not the Word of God.

2Cool
05-18-2012, 12:31 AM
No because having it be illegal prevents abuse. Also if every dude has multiple wives then you'll end up with a bunch of dudes with no women left for themselves.

Yaroslav
05-18-2012, 12:32 AM
I don't think we live in an Islamic country.

Christianity allows polygamy, Islam took polygamy from Christianity.

Yaroslav
05-18-2012, 12:33 AM
No because having it be illegal prevents abuse. Also if every dude has multiple wives then you'll end up with a bunch of dudes with no women left for themselves.

Not really. With polygamy comes a lot of reproduction, therefore the supply always outweighs the demand.

I believe polygamy is a better solution to European demographic crisis than immigration.

ricko0812
05-18-2012, 12:34 AM
why not i dont care how many wifes some guy wants

Panopticon
05-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Christianity ALLOWS polygamy, it is not against our morality to do polygamy. If it it then it's man made tradition not the Word of God.

I'm not so sure about that. However, the anti-Polygamy movements (or anti-anything movements for that matter) are Christian based.

2Cool
05-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Not really. With polygamy comes a lot of reproduction, therefore the supply always outweighs the demand.

I believe polygamy is a better solution to European demographic crisis than immigration.

What do you mean? It's not like you'll have more women to balance out the men that have no women. The probability of having a male or female child is the same. So yes, if every men has 4 wives, you'll have serious issues and a large number of single men. Sure the same men might wait for the polygamist families to have female children and wait until they are of age, but then these same men will be screwing with the next generation of men.

The Mormons have an interesting way to fix this problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_boys_%28Mormon_fundamentalism%29

Yaroslav
05-18-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm not so sure about that. However, the anti-Polygamy movements (or anti-anything movements for that matter) are Christian based.

Those Christians base their beliefs on traditions not the Bible.

SilverKnight
05-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Yes why not, I don't mind people are free to do as they please, not my life.

Yaroslav
05-18-2012, 01:01 AM
What do you mean? It's not like you'll have more women to balance out the men that have no women. The probability of having a male or female child is the same. So yes, if every men has 4 wives, you'll have serious issues and a large number of single men. Sure the same men might wait for the polygamist families to have female children and wait until they are of age, but then these same men will be screwing with the next generation of men.

The Mormons have an interesting way to fix this problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_boys_%28Mormon_fundamentalism%29

Actually the probability of getting a girl is about 2-5% larger, and women get puberty much earlier than man. This is not a coincidence.

2Cool
05-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Actually the probability of getting a girl is about 2-5% larger, and women get puberty much earlier than man. This is not a coincidence.

No. It's pretty much 50/50. If there's a variation it's in the order of +- 1-2% and could be due to other factors. In some countries it favors more boys, in others more girls. But mathematically speaking it's 50/50.

Mraz
05-18-2012, 01:14 AM
I voted yes, as long as the the wife has a veto on it.
Some people have stranger lifestyles and it makes no problems, so I don't see the harm here.

Panopticon
05-18-2012, 01:15 AM
The probability of getting a boy is higher by 2% or so. The number of men is lower due to other factors (more men dying). Curiosity; men are also much more susceptible to genetic mutations due to having only one X chromosome. Men are the genetic playground for mutations.

StonyArabia
05-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Yes better than legalizing homosexuality.

AussieScott
05-18-2012, 05:03 AM
In a Patriarchal society I would vote no, being we live in a soft matriarchy of a civilisation I vote, Yes. :)

Osprey
05-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Polygamy is a great solution for the mudsharking whores.
And Polyandry for the Asian-lovers.

Anarch
05-24-2012, 06:14 AM

Because a large (and inevitably, expanding) population of sexually deprived single men is a recipie for mass violence and social instability. The Islamic world is proof enough, and China will soon discover this. Better that inter-sexual bonding for the purpose of reproduction occur within a monogamous relationship. There are cases when individual opinion should have no bearing on social conduct - this is one of them.

Sikeliot
05-24-2012, 06:17 AM
I still say no. I can't imagine the results would be beneficial overall for society.

rashka
05-24-2012, 06:21 AM
No, this will lead to men wanting too many women and would start taking cousins.

Osprey
05-24-2012, 06:25 AM
First the number of homos should be counted, in both men and women.
Then, if Gays exceed Lesbians, than it can be legalized.

Anarch
05-24-2012, 07:17 AM
No, this will lead to men wanting too many women and would start taking cousins.

Quorra
05-24-2012, 07:19 AM
I voted yes, not because it's of any use but if they are legalizing gay marriage then it's silly not to legalize polygamy.

I can't wait till Mary sees this thread.

Quorra
05-24-2012, 07:22 AM
First the number of homos should be counted, in both men and women.
Then, if Gays exceed Lesbians, than it can be legalized.

I'm fairly sure that the number of gays far exceeds lesbians, weird as that is. However, the lesbians are evening it up now since gayness is becoming more socially acceptable, and therefore acceptable to women.

Adding: If the law was based on your reason though, most gay men would shift back to being straight. Men love a competition and who'd want to be the guy off with another bloke while harems were up for the taking?

Men seem driven to compete and I reckon this would spark their ire.

Breedingvariety
05-24-2012, 07:28 AM
I'm fairly sure that the number of gays far exceeds lesbians, weird as that is. However, the lesbians are evening it up now since gayness is becoming more socially acceptable, and therefore acceptable to women.
I think lesbians are more on bi side, while more gay men are exclusively such. Very possibly I'm wrong. Correct me if I am, you who know better.

Quorra
05-24-2012, 07:45 AM
I think lesbians are more on bi side, while more gay men are exclusively such. Very possibly I'm wrong. Correct me if I am, you who know better.

Once again it's about social constraints. Gay men are kind of forced by society to be exclusively gay. People don't really want gay men coming back after dirtying themselves as they have and are.

It's in straight mens interest for lesbians to be bi, but gays to be out of the competition. It's not really in women's interest for gay men to still be available to them but we are ok with lesbians coming back into the fold.

Skandi
05-24-2012, 08:02 AM
I voted yes, it's not my business what someone else does behind closed doors, and of course it would work both ways, I could have several husbands.. though why I would want to babysit more than one I do not know :p

The state has no busines in peoples private lives.

Quorra
05-24-2012, 08:12 AM
I voted yes, it's not my business what someone else does behind closed doors, and of course it would work both ways, I could have several husbands.. though why I would want to babysit more than one I do not know :p

The state has no busines in peoples private lives.

I think there would be quite a few of these relationships if it was allowed. I don't think they would last as long as the female harems though.

Albion
05-26-2012, 09:38 PM
No. Why should someone else be denied a mate just because someone else has 3 wives?
How would people feel if it was the opposite - if women could have as many husbands as they wanted? How would men react to that? Not too positively I presume.

Methmatician
05-27-2012, 06:09 AM
There are many people in the world who want to be able to marry multiple people and as lon gas it's consensual, I don't have a problem with it.

Heart of Oak
05-27-2012, 06:50 PM
I think being part of a group of men all after one woman seems sickish.....

Supreme American
05-27-2012, 06:53 PM
The only reason I would ever remotely condone polygamy is due to an emergent need of re-population. Otherwise the male/female ratio does not justify it.

Virtuous
05-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Nah

Azalea
05-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Yes, and the same goes for polyandry. But isn't polygamy & polyandry already legal in most countries (even if official marriage isn't aloud)? I mean, if the government is going to involve in people's personal lifes, then they should also forbid adultery etc.

My ethnic Dutch neighbour is living with two Chinese women. He has kids with both his wifes. I couldn't care less. As long as they are happy.

Tony
05-27-2012, 09:12 PM
I'd legalize both poligamy and polyandry.
Today we have them in the closet so many times...
and I don't think it's gonna hurt the society.

Quorra
05-27-2012, 11:36 PM
I think being part of a group of men all after one woman seems sickish.....

but extremely common.

Heart of Oak
05-28-2012, 12:46 PM
but extremely common.

Yea I guess it is.......

R4ge
05-28-2012, 12:49 PM
No, it shouldn't...think about the children. Imagine them growing up knowing that their father has other wives and other sets of children. I wouldn't be happy. It's messed up.

Tony
05-28-2012, 02:08 PM
No, it shouldn't...think about the children. Imagine them growing up knowing that their father has other wives and other sets of children. I wouldn't be happy. It's messed up.

Today the problem is the other way around, being raised alone with no brothers or sisters; Whites TFR is everywhere below 2 children per woman.

Siberian Cold Breeze
05-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Do it in Tibetan way :D

Incal
05-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Yes, specially on these days where not many people want to have kids.

Ghost Knight
07-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Politicians in Utah are proposing a bill that could lessen the punishments of polygamous. This would give more freedom to the FLDS and other non-LDS Mormons in the State. So now that it is topical again; Should polygamy be legalized?

Smaug
07-08-2012, 11:14 PM
It may sound quite radical, but I believe it should be legalized. "Monogamy" is an idea found only in some religions, including christianity, and most of people, at least in the Western World, are christians.
But how about other religions (and even branches of Christianity itself)? If it's alright to them to have more than one partner, I believe their ideas and their culture should be respected.
But of course there would some problems with the "State stuff", the papers, contracts etc...

Pretan
No. Not here in UK, we need to heavily crack down on polygamy especially in places like Tower Hamlets where some Bengalis have up to 15 children with 3 wives (claiming benefits for each wife of course).

Furnace
I don't see the problem, the more wives the better.

But as a result you will have more complaining.

arcticwolf
07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
I don't see the problem, the more wives the better.

But as a result you will have more complaining.

Hahahaha I don't think you thought this thru very thoroughly. ;) Each wife comes with a MOTHER IN LAW. One mother in law will make you wanna jump off a cliff, now imagine having 4 of them? :D

Siginulfo
07-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Not again :( please.

Ghost Knight
07-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Not again :( please.

???

Siginulfo
07-08-2012, 11:31 PM
???

There just was a thread like this:rolleyes2:

Ghost Knight
07-08-2012, 11:31 PM
There just was a thread like this:rolleyes2:

?????

Siginulfo
07-08-2012, 11:32 PM
?????

Ghost Knight
07-08-2012, 11:37 PM

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

Kazimiera
07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
???

?????

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

:confused:

Edelmann
07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
No, but gay marriage enthusiasts who oppose polygamy are hilarious.

Bobcat Fraser
07-10-2012, 01:30 AM
It should be legal, especially if gay unions are legal. It seems contradictory and hypocritical for it not to be. That doesn't mean that society has an obligation to enshrine it like traditional marriage. It's simply a matter of freedom of choice, and the state should butt out of such matters.

Sally
07-10-2012, 08:57 AM
No, I don't think polygamy should be legal. Polygamy is an offense against marriage, but then again, so is divorce, cohabitation, adultery and incest.

Dead Eye
07-15-2012, 05:08 AM
No.Everyone is intended to find one partner to reproduce with.Even animals can get that right 99% of the time.

Dead Eye
07-15-2012, 05:15 AM

If a ''sexual preference'' contradicts the whole point of being with someone,then what right do they have?

This isn't really a natural choice but a social construct instead.There is no such thing as a ''sexual preference'' unless its between two opposites to reproduce,and Polygamy causes MANY problems.

Oh,and this has nothing to do with religion,just basic understanding.

MarkyMark
07-15-2012, 05:17 AM
No, polygamy can't exist in society where men and women have equal rights. Example: If polygamy was legalized and a man can marry many women, women will end up getting the same rights and can marry many men due to women being equal to men. If women aren't given equal rights it would be politically incorrect and women will backlash. If they are given equal rights you will end up with a society where everyone can have multiple husbands/wives, you will find yourself in a whole jumbled mess of jealousy and family stuff.

Óttar
07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Of course. Why is it illegal now, except for some Pseudo-Christian BS? Humans are not naturally monogamous, this is a false assumption made by scientists who project their own cultural norms onto everyone.

I voted 'Yes' with the understanding that both polyandrous and polygynous pairings should be fully and entirely legal.

Heart of Oak
07-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Of coarse it should be legal, why not? so should a lot more things, we need to bring our laws up to date, on many things...

Yaroslav
11-16-2013, 01:13 AM
I recant, I now believe "no."

Manifest Destiny
11-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Simple poll. :)

I vote yes, I personally would never engage in it but it should be legal.

That's my take on it, too. And, realistically, it's not all that different than some dude who has three kids with three different women or something like that.

Manifest Destiny
11-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Yes, and the same goes for polyandry. But isn't polygamy & polyandry already legal in most countries (even if official marriage isn't aloud)? I mean, if the government is going to involve in people's personal lifes, then they should also forbid adultery etc.

My ethnic Dutch neighbour is living with two Chinese women. He has kids with both his wifes. I couldn't care less. As long as they are happy.

I don't know about Europe, but polygamy is very illegal in America. But that doesn't affect unmarried people who choose to live with multiple men or women.