PDA

View Full Version : Italy earthquake in country's north

Corvus
05-20-2012, 07:51 PM
At least three people have died in a strong earthquake that rocked northern Italy on Sunday morning.

The quake struck between Modena and Mantova, about 35km (22 miles) north-northwest of Bologna at 4am local time (2am GMT), and was felt throughout nearby regions. It had a magnitude of 5.9 and struck at a relatively shallow depth of 6.3 miles (10km), the US Geological Survey said.

One person working a night shift died in the collapse of a factory and two others were killed in another building. Rescue officials were checking reports that other people were buried under rubble.

Thousands of people rushed into the streets after the quake, felt in the major towns of Bologna, Modena, Ferrara, Rovigo, Verona and Mantua.

There has been serious damage to historic buildings and rural structures. Parts of a historic fortress in one town collapsed and rural factories fell down.

A series of strong aftershocks hit the area and local mayors ordered residents to stay out of their homes.

Italy's last major earthquake killed nearly 300 people in the central Italian city of L'Aquila in 2009 and had a magnitude of 6.3

Damião de Góis
05-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Howcome the north of Italy has earthquakes? :confused:

http://geology.com/plate-tectonics.jpg

Corvus
05-20-2012, 07:58 PM

That`s a good question. But this issue is too serious.
Major damage of valuable architecture and devastation.

My condolence to the victims.

Aces High
05-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Because its on the southern end of the Eurasian plate which borders on the Adriatic plate....which in turn are being pushed by Africa in the south.
Thats why the Alps are getting taller and central Italy have earthquakes.

A mate of mine who is sat next to me here at work and is a geologist just told me that.....you learn something new every day.

Damião de Góis
05-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Because its on the southern end of the Eurasian plate which borders on the Adriatic plate....which in turn are being pushed by Africa in the south.
Thats why the Alps are getting taller and central Italy have earthquakes.

A mate of mine who is sat next to me here at work and is a geologist just told me that.....you learn something new every day.

Ok i wasn't aware of the Adriatic plate.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5FoW2luWDHU/Tx_xDNGFXLI/AAAAAAAAAck/LrVYLMKJUnE/s1600/topo2.gif

Usually if you google for "technotic plates" most images don't show the Adriatic Plate, apart from a few like this one:

http://www.learner.org/interactives/dynamicearth/images/new_map.jpg

So yeah, that explains it.

Aces High
05-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Well we have all that sort of info here at work.......
Tectonic plates....Magnetic declination for everywhere on earth...you name it we got it.....everything you need to drill for oil.

Leliana
05-21-2012, 02:14 PM
My uncle was biking there, in a hotel near Cesenatico. He told us that he woke up at 4.00 and that the earthquake lasted for about 20 seconds. The hotel personal told the guests to go back to their beds because there's nothing serious as long as electricity and water flows. :lightbul: He came back home yesterday and was shocked that the hotel personal didn't check the building for damage or cracks in the wall. :rolleyes:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20725022.jpg

Osprey
05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
My uncle was biking there, in a hotel near Cesenatico. He told us that he woke up at 4.00 and that the earthquake lasted for about 20 seconds. The hotel personal told the guests to go back to their beds because there's nothing serious as long as electricity and water flows. :lightbul: He came back home yesterday and was shocked that the hotel personal didn't check the building for damage or cracks in the wall. :rolleyes:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20725022.jpg

If 20 seconds worth of ground shaking is nothing to him then either he's got lead balls or is immune to sny sensations.
Or maybe he's crazy.

Peyrol
05-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Nothing serious here in Piemont.

askra
05-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Great part of Italy is seismic.

One of the worst earthquake in the italian history hit the north east in 1976, causing about 1,000 casualties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Friuli_earthquake

this is the chart of seismic risk in Italy:
http://cdn.blogosfere.it/sardegna/images/classificazione-sismica-italia-sardegna-rischio-sismico.jpg

Siginulfo
05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
I live near the epicenter (more or less) but I didn't hear nothing.

Arthur Scharrenhans
05-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Here in Bologna it was quite strong, but there was no damage to buildings. Of course I was woken up and lost several hours of sleep. It was the strongest earthquake I ever experienced. A friend of mine lives in the epicenter, but he's OK.

Meerkat.86
05-21-2012, 06:50 PM

this map explains better where faults are located...

http://www.laquilanuova.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/faglie-attive-sismogenetiche-illuminate-dai-recenti-terremoti.jpg

many areas of Northern Italy are considered seismic, fortunatelly not as central and southern Apennines regions, but for example in the 70's a huge heartquake killed about 1000 persons in Friuli Venezia Giulia.

Meerkat.86
05-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Great part of Italy is seismic.

One of the worst earthquake in the italian history hit the north east in 1976, causing about 1,000 casualties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Friuli_earthquake

this is the chart of seismic risk in Italy:
http://cdn.blogosfere.it/sardegna/images/classificazione-sismica-italia-sardegna-rischio-sismico.jpg

we have written the same lol

Meerkat.86
05-21-2012, 06:55 PM
anyway I' ve read that the area of Emilia hit by the last earthquake is considered an area with a medium-low risk.

GeistFaust
05-21-2012, 07:13 PM
A 6.0 earthquake can be very serious depending on the nature of the landmass upon which the shaking occurs. If it occurs in a much hardened geological core with a strong mountainous and rocky nature it will detract from some of the more devastating of the earthquakes energy. At the same time you will see heavy damage around the central areas surrounding the epicenter rather then it a much broader and asymmetrical area.

The energy dynamics behind these earthquakes is shaped by the landscape and nature of the internal core of the geological structure of the earth's layers in that area. In places where the ground is much softer and loose you can see the energies of the earthquake resonate over a much larger area.

The thing earthquake in D'Aquilla was only a 5.8, but occurred in an area with a more liquidated and softer internal geological core, although there are the Abruzzo mountains in that region. In America, but only in certain Western urban areas, only 7.0 and 8.0 are considered big due to the much stronger internal geological core in the area, and the nature of the buildings, which are built to sustain the shaking and energy of very powerful earthquakes.

Svipdag
05-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Africa is caught between two sea-floor spreading zones pushing it in opposite directions, thus forcing the African plate northward against the Eurasian plate.

The same forces generated the Alps, the rise of which must have been accompanied by numerous intense earthquakes. The process is not finished, nor will be until the African plate is completely squeezed out from between the two sea-floor spreading zones.

Enjoy the monuments of the past while you can, for, like all of the works of man, they are transitory.

"Yea, none can nail his name so high time will not tear it down." - Old Protestant hymn

GeistFaust
05-21-2012, 07:20 PM
we have written the same lol

Italy has a history of devastating earthquakes right through the Central and Southern portions, and there was even one in Messina.

This is where Sicily and Calabria meet, and it is known as the 10th deadliest earthquake on record. They was even a tsnumai which was created, so in terms of earthquakes the Mediterranean areas tend to be most at risk and to have the highest likelihood of devastating earthquakes.

This can be demonstrated from earthquakes that have occurred in Spain, Portugal, Mediterranean Islands, Greece, and Turkey since antiquity.

You don't see as many earthquakes in Central, Northern, and Eastern Europe, although some moderate to big ones have occurred in the British Isles and parts of France before.

Richard
05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
20 seconds of my house walls shaking at 4 AM,woke up then went back to sleep.No damage here,sorry for Ferrara and Modena.

Loki
05-22-2012, 06:21 AM
This is a major catastrophe.

Italy earthquake: Monti prepares for state of emergency (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18150475)

Italians have begun assessing the damage to one of their most historic regions, a day after seven people were killed in a 6.0 magnitude earthquake.

Cultural sites have been left in ruins, almost 5,000 people have fled their homes and the mayor of one northern town has appealed for urgent help.

The government has said it expects to declare a state of emergency.

Farmers say they have suffered big losses because of damage to 300,000 Parmesan and Gran Padano cheeses.

Culture Minister Lorenzo Ornaghi says it is too early to give a full assessment of the damage from the quake but a list of heritage sites affected in the Emilia Romagna region is being drawn up. He said the cultural cost was "considerable".

Prime Minister Mario Monti cut short his visit to the Nato summit in Chicago and may visit the region late on Monday. Italy's national government is expected to declare a state of emergency at a meeting on Tuesday.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/60357000/gif/_60357114_italy_emilia_romagna_may12.gif

Peyrol
05-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Worst earthquakes ever were Friuli (1976) and Messina (1908).

Loki
05-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I just had breakfast with a dear local Italian friend. She says she has friends in the region, but it's not nearly as bad as a recent one they had in Abruzzo ... her region.

Peyrol
05-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Also Detfri/Veleda is from Abruzzo...would be interesting see her opinion about the 2009 earthquake

noricum
05-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I was sleeping in the hotel at Lido in Venice during the earthquake. The shaking door and bed woke me up, but nothing serious happened there.
I feel very sorry for the people there.

Foxy
05-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Also Detfri/Veleda is from Abruzzo...would be interesting see her opinion about the 2009 earthquake

The most sinister note I can record myself was the gloomy noise from the subsoil during the shakes. It was like the ground was cracking under your feet.
All lasted just 30 seconds. I awoke almost immediately by the shakes. I looked at the ceiling of cement thinking that I was going to die under it. Then I stood up and looked for my dog and found my parents screaming: "It's an earthquake, repair yourself" but actually none had the weakest idea of what to do. My dad was evening supporting the chandelier in the living room. In the china cabinet all had been knocked over.

An other record was one or 2 days after. It was afternoon and a friend of mine was visiting me. At once we felt a new shake. All the doors of my house were slamming at the same time. It was an aftershake.

I live on the coast, the sandy soil lessens the tremors and it is very difficult that a building collapses. But meanwhile in L'Aquila a lot of houses were collapsing and Onna was totally destroyed.

Living an earthquake so well is an experience that signs you. I feel a strong solidariety with the people of Emilia hit by the earthquake. I am sure they will find solidariety in all the people from Abruzzo as well.

Btw I had felt also the earthquake of San Giuliano (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terremoto_del_Molise) in Molise some years before, but it was weak compared to that of L'Aquila. I was in school and I was the first to feel the earthquake in my class and to advice the others. We were evacuated but you really have no time to do anything. In an earthquake, if it is really strong, the truth is that you have no time to react. Best way to survive is to live in an antisismic building.

A lot if not all the new buildings in Italy are antisismic, but a lot of people live in ancient towns/cities that have no hope in a serious earthquake. That's why in L'Aquila died 308 people.

Meerkat.86
05-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Italy has a history of devastating earthquakes right through the Central and Southern portions, and there was even one in Messina.

This is where Sicily and Calabria meet, and it is known as the 10th deadliest earthquake on record. They was even a tsnumai which was created, so in terms of earthquakes the Mediterranean areas tend to be most at risk and to have the highest likelihood of devastating earthquakes.

This can be demonstrated from earthquakes that have occurred in Spain, Portugal, Mediterranean Islands, Greece, and Turkey since antiquity.

Under the Mediterranean sea runs a fault which separates African and Euroasian plates, Italian peninsula and the Alps have been created by the movement of these plates, this is the reason of our earthquakes. Nevertheless in the Mediterranean area exist many places that are geologically quiet. For example Western Mediterranean islands never faced quakes.

Meerkat.86
05-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Worst earthquakes ever were Friuli (1976) and Messina (1908).

-Messina e Reggio Calabria (1908) 100,000 casualties
-Val di Noto (1693) 60,000 casualties
-Messina e Reggio Calabria (1783) 50,000 casualties
-Avezzano (1915) 33,000 casualties
-Verona ( 1117) 30,000 casualties
-Sannio e Molise (1456) 30,000 casualties
-Catania (4 febbraio 1169) 20,000 casualties
-Montemurro (1857) 12,000 morti casualties
-Nicastro (1683) 10,000 casualties
-Carinzia e Friuli (1348) 10,000 casualties

And more recently:
-Irpinia (1980) about 3000 casualties

...these are the worst earthquakes occurred in Italy.

Richard
05-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Still shaking

askra
05-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Great part of the damages and the collapses involved historical buildings and in particular some churches, fortunately the earthquake hit at 4:00 am, because the number of victims could be higher if it struck during the day.

H3DpWPlL0Gg

Peyrol
05-23-2012, 10:49 PM
I always wonder why, in the earthquakes here, roman building remains solid while '50s-'60s houses always collapses...:rolleyes:

Richard
05-29-2012, 07:04 AM
My house is rockin,now:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Richard
05-29-2012, 07:22 AM
My house is rockin,now:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They say all the North shaked:eek:,i'm on the Adriatic side

Richard
05-29-2012, 07:59 AM
More casualties,very sorry.

Peyrol
05-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Qui la terra ha lievemente tremolato verso le 9 di stamane, ma nulla di che.
L'Emilia è devastata.

Aces High
05-29-2012, 02:30 PM
The fortunate part about it is that its in the north of Italy.....them people will have it all sorted out and back to normal in no time without asking anyone for help.
The south on the other hand......:rolleyes:

Siginulfo
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Ci hanno fatto evacuare la scuola in fretta e furia, ma noi non abbiamo sentito nulla.

Dacul
05-29-2012, 02:35 PM
I opened a thread about this new earthquake from Italy:
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50392

Libertas
05-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I see from the press and TV that many North Africans live and work in the Emilia earthquake zone.

Peyrol
05-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I see from the press and TV that many North Africans live and work in the Emilia earthquake zone.

Yes and many of them are whining because in the first-aid packs by Red Cross there are pork salamis...:rolleyes:

Vasconcelos
05-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes and many of them are whining because in the first-aid packs by Red Cross there are pork salamis...:rolleyes:

Fine, starve then, I don't care.

Richard
05-29-2012, 06:33 PM

All i can say to em is FUCK OFF:thumb001:

Peyrol
05-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Fine, starve then, I don't care.

Oh no....the public opinion and the facebook teenagers keyboard-revolutionaries are saying "poor maghrebi, we've to respect their traditions".

I hate more this nation day by day...

Libertas
05-29-2012, 06:38 PM
If they stayed in Morocco I would REALLY support their traditions.

Libertas
05-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Oh no....the public opinion and the facebook teenagers keyboard-revolutionaries are saying "poor maghrebi, we've to respect their traditions".

I hate more this nation day by day...

Please, would anybody inform us if they know of bigger blockheads on this benighted planet than liberal/leftie Italians of Emilia or Tuscany
(Maledetti deficienti e pezzi di merda che sono).

Peyrol
05-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Please, would anybody inform us if they know of bigger blockheads on this benighted planet than liberal/leftie Italians of Emilia or Tuscany
(Maledetti deficienti e pezzi di merda che sono).

L'Emilia è sempre stata una regione di bolscevichi...

bimo
05-31-2012, 12:04 AM
i live at 40 km from the epicenter , the quake was very strong , what is happening in my region is terrible

non siamo tutti bolscevichi , anzi molte zone in italia stanno diventando più rosse dell emilia-romagna (vedi torino con fassino votato quasi al 60% , o monza nel ultima elezione del sindaco) , in emilia la sinistra tiene botta solo grazie ai pensionati in stra grande maggioranza di sinistra legati comunque a una buona amministrazione da parte loro molti anni fa, ma se votassero solo le altre persone senza li anziani il modo di pensarla è molto vario e non così tendente a sinistra visto che la sinistra di oggi sta stufando anche qua in emilia

Richard
06-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Ormai è una regione Grillina,vedi Parma.Che poi nazionalizzare le banche e le televisioni è ultra-bolscevico per cui tutto torna:eek::D

bimo
06-01-2012, 08:44 PM
se in emilia-romagna il centro-sinistra vince in molti comuni è più che altro grazie a molti anziani sopra ai 70 anni, abituati ad altre epoche , se prendiamo solo le persone tra i 30 e i 70 anni sono abbastanza divisi come ideologie , se votassero solo li under 30 i partiti principali sarebbero la lega e il movimento di grillo :)

Richard
06-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Deep Shit