PDA

View Full Version : Greeks work longest hours in Europe

Loki
05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Who works the longest hours? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18144320)

http://i45.tinypic.com/98ejhc.jpg

poiuytrewq0987
05-24-2012, 06:09 PM
The problem with working long hours doesn't necessarily mean you come up with same level of productivity as German workers. Germans may work less hours than Greeks but they are extremely productive while they're at it. There was an article (http://www.globalpolitician.com/25166-macedonia-balkans) on productivity of Macedonian workers compared to their neighbors. Should give you a basic idea.

Queen B
05-24-2012, 06:15 PM
The problem with working long hours doesn't necessarily mean you come up with same level of productivity as German workers.
Exactly.
Greece lacks the technology that Germany has.
F.e. Up until recently many things in public services was done manually/handwritten, instead of electronic (PC).

Contra Mundum
05-24-2012, 06:21 PM
I believe the US leads the industrialized world in productivity. At least that is what a heard a few years ago.

Loki
05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
F.e. Up until recently many things in public services was done manually/handwritten, instead of electronic (PC).

Serbia has also been doing that until very recently. Government employees have worked very hard to type everything out on old typing machines and/or write it by hand.

Osprey
05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
A Manual Worker chipping on a wall and sweating. Greek.
A Bulldozer dozing off walls.
German.
A Drone coming and bombing the area around the walls.
American.
A Robot kicking down the walls with ease.
Japanese.
A Guy coming and sitting near the wall with a bomb strapped on him.
Arab.
Six guys coming near the wall, urinating and posting 'Kill Whitey'
Blacks.

Lithium
05-24-2012, 06:38 PM
I doubt the objectiveness of the statistic research because many firms declare that their workers work 5 hours (for example) a day but in reality they work at least 8 hours. This is the reality in Bulgaria, maybe it happens in other countries too.

2Cool
05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I have a hard time believing that Canadians work more hours than Americans.

Ibericus
05-24-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't think is lack of productivity, but having a country overrun with public employment

jerney
05-24-2012, 06:49 PM
The problem with working long hours doesn't necessarily mean you come up with same level of productivity as German workers. Germans may work less hours than Greeks but they are extremely productive while they're at it. There was an article (http://www.globalpolitician.com/25166-macedonia-balkans) on productivity of Macedonian workers compared to their neighbors. Should give you a basic idea.

I don't really think that matters here. Greeks are made out to be notoriously lazy by some ignorant people, but the reality and facts here are that the majority work much longer hours compared to most other countries. Whether or not the work is as productive as others is another issue entirely. It doesn't take away from the fact that they work hard.

The Lawspeaker
05-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I doubt the objectiveness of the statistic research because many firms declare that their workers work 5 hours (for example) a day but in reality they work at least 8 hours. This is the reality in Bulgaria, maybe it happens in other countries too.

Our official working week here seems to be 36 but in reality people seem to work over 40 hours. One of the parties in parliament now wants to return to the 40-hour working week.

Geminus
05-24-2012, 09:16 PM
In Germany the working week is also said to be 40 hours, but most people have to work longer, with paid or also often unpaid extra hours.

Queen B
05-24-2012, 09:28 PM
In Germany the working week is also said to be 40 hours, but most people have to work longer, with paid or also often unpaid extra hours.
When I was in Germany (and Austria) they also had an one hour break in the noon for lunch, and ten minutes in the morning, though..