PDA

View Full Version : Mayor vows to cut Gay Pride funds

Beorn
06-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Mayor vows to cut Gay Pride funds

The newly-elected mayor of Doncaster has threatened to cut funding to the town's Gay Pride event as part of his pledge to fight political correctness.

Peter Davies, of the English Democrats, said: "My policy on gays and lesbians is very simple.
"I don't think councils should be spending money on them parading through town advertising their sexuality."
Doncaster Pride said the event, which attracts up to 8,000 people, would still take place on 16 August.
A statement from the Doncaster Pride Committee said: "We believe everyone has a right to their opinion and if the newly elected mayor of Doncaster holds personal opinions about the staging of a Pride event in the borough we feel he is entitled to that view.

"However, in the last two years we have brought over 6,000 visitors into Doncaster and anticipate an audience this year of up to 8,000.
"These people spend money in Doncaster and come to enjoy a great day out."

The organisers said they had received "massive support" from other agencies, including South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, South Yorkshire Police, the Home Office and a number of trade unions.
"The simple message is the show goes on. We as a committee are resolute in our aims to bring this event to Doncaster and will do so with or without support from Doncaster council."

Mr Davies said: "I have nothing whatsoever against gays and lesbians, what they do in their private lives is absolutely fine.
"But I don't see why councils should be spending money on that sort of thing."
Mr Davies has also stated he intends to cut funding for translation services for non-English speakers in the borough.
The English Democrats say they want "English freedoms and values, not multiculturalism". :thumb001:

They also advocate withdrawal from the European Union, the "right to enjoy and celebrate Englishness", an end to political correctness and an end to mass immigration.
Party chairman Robin Tilbrook said: "Peter has done fantastically well, he's fought a great campaign on the issues that really matter.
"This is not only a great result for the people of Doncaster, it's a great result for the people of England too. Peter is now truly the Boris Johnson of the north."

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/8086919.stm)