PDA

View Full Version : Do online forums bring Euros together or drive them apart?

arcticwolf
06-09-2012, 05:05 PM
The purpose of various boards is to allow Europeans to exchange ideas, get to know one another, work out differences, address various issues pleasant or unpleasant. From what I can see it's a mixed bag. What do you think about it? Positive it will work, it's never gonna work Europeans hate each other, just killing time bitching and moaning and pumping egos kinda thing? What's your take on it?

Loki
06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I think it brings them together :) .. and in some cases drives them apart ... some who were once friends.

Real-time debate in a neutral environment is very good for that purpose. Unfortunately such neutral environments are hard to find online.

Damiăo de Góis
06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I think it's both. You can make friends from other countries but you can also see what people from other countries think of you, and it isn't always nice.

Arne
06-09-2012, 05:17 PM
The purpose of various boards is to allow Europeans to exchange ideas, get to know one another, work out differences, address various issues pleasant or unpleasant. From what I can see it's a mixed bag. What do you think about it? Positive it will work, it's never gonna work Europeans hate each other, just killing time bitching and moaning and pumping egos kinda thing? What's your take on it?

It tears them apart.
Btw .. The poll is missing

Osprey
06-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Negative people have no hope.
Forums or no, they are gonna hate.
However, forums do bring positive people in contact with each other resulting in a net gain for Cultural Preservationism.

arcticwolf
06-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I think it brings them together :) .. and in some cases drives them apart ... some who were once friends.

That's the part that's not encouraging, this is not a good development.

Dacul
06-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Sure these forums are bringing people together.

arcticwolf
06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
I think it's both. You can make friends from other countries but you can also see what people from other countries think of you, and it isn't always nice.

Saying one's opinion in a civil manner is one thing. The primitive insults, hostility and lack of basic etiquette is quite another. Seems some don't proof read, don't really understand the effect their posts will have in the long run.

Damiăo de Góis
06-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Saying one's opinion in a civil manner is one thing. The primitive insults, hostility and lack of basic etiquette is quite another. Seems some don't proof read, don't really understand the effect their posts will have in the long run.

The effect isn't much, but some perceptions of a country might change, based on the people posting on forums.

arcticwolf
06-09-2012, 05:42 PM
It tears them apart.
Btw .. The poll is missing

Most people will only vote, and won't post. Let's hear what they have to say. Civilized Europeans surely can work things out. We are not barbarians I would hope.

Aces High
06-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I think its a good thing on the whole,i like reading the various viewpoints.

Although i dont like the non European element myself...nor do i care for their bullshit opinons that we dont need...wont use and didnt ask for.

There seem to be some very odd life forms in the rockpool of the apricity forum.

arcticwolf
06-09-2012, 05:48 PM
The effect isn't much, but some perceptions of a country might change, based on the people posting on forums.

Well people read the posts, discuss them with the folks who they know, spread new attitude, I think it can have far more reaching consequences than we realize. Most of us understand it's individuals, but once popular opinion sets in it's hard to change it. I'm less optimistic about it than you are, maybe I'm just stretching it.

arcticwolf
06-09-2012, 05:51 PM

Although i dont like the non European element myself...nor do i care for their bullshit opinons that we dont need...wont use and didnt ask for.

There seem to be some very odd life forms in the rockpool of the apricity forum.

That's Loki's choice. Not much we can do about it.

Aces High
06-09-2012, 05:57 PM
That's Loki's choice. Not much we can do about it.

Its what keeps me form contributing to the upkeep of the place tbh.

Theres no way i could pay for something which is a platform for their views.

I mean i can hear their bullshit opinions on the mass media and on any street corner...i dont want to come online and hear the fuckers as well.

arcticwolf
06-09-2012, 06:14 PM

I mean i can hear their bullshit opinions on the mass media and on any street corner...i dont want to come online and hear the fuckers as well.

Some of the other cultures are so different from ours that they may as well be living in a different universe. I don't think they understand European mentality.

Aces High
06-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Some of the other cultures are so different from ours that they may as well be living in a different universe. I don't think they understand European mentality.

Also you only have to scratch underneath the surface and the real "Them" comes out....spitting venom and envy.

I understand the concept of free speech and its ok listening to their views....but we have no common ground,no shared history and no compatibility.

arcticwolf
06-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Also you only have to scratch underneath the surface and the real "Them" comes out....spitting venom and envy.

I understand the concept of free speech and its ok listening to their views....but we have no common ground,no shared history and no compatibility.

That's a good point. How there can be common ground between those who love democracy and freedom and those who hate both and call for death to both? I've seen this poster somewhere in the Middle East which said "Death to Freedom". Those are not the minds I want in Europe or anywhere Euros are.

Aces High
06-09-2012, 06:43 PM
As i say,we have no common ground and the more i read what they write or read between the lines of what they write i see an abyss between us.

Quite close geographically but we might as well be on another planet.

Germanicus
06-09-2012, 10:02 PM

For once i totally agree with Aces.:coffee:

gossimer
06-09-2012, 10:09 PM
One way to think of it is that forums bring a whole set of people to the table that would never be there out in the real world at such discussions.

If you think about it, people who would participate in these types of views out in the real world would probably for whatever reason not be the people who do it on a forum. So forums allow you to see the pens behind the articles so to speak. You get to see the people who don't stand up at some debate club, and often those people that don't stand up and voice their opinion out in the real world are many times the ones that actually have more deeper views. So it makes for a neat viewing.

Having said that, those deeper thinkers are usually not as social and are more stringent on their beliefs than the people who you would see out in the world, so you end up with what seems like more radical people or haters when really they are just appalled at the casual thinkers so to say.

Loki
06-10-2012, 09:10 AM
It tears them apart.

It tears hypocrisy apart.

Loki
06-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Not even money will make me give up my principles. If people believe in freedom of expression they shouldn't fuck around.

If you were looking for an agreement club, Apricity is not it.

arcticwolf
04-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Bump, newbs what do you think?

Pontios
04-14-2013, 04:41 AM
Both in a way. For example in Balkans, these forums can bring Greeks and Serbs together but also hugely against Albanians, Bulgars (in some cases), and Turks. And the same for the Albanians, Bulgars and Turks, they are brought together as well against the Greeks and Serbs.

arcticwolf
04-14-2013, 04:43 AM
Both in a way. For example in Balkans, these forums can bring Greeks and Serbs together but also hugely against Albanians, Bulgars (in some cases), and Turks. And the same for the Albanians, Bulgars and Turks, they are brought together as well against the Greeks and Serbs.

I don't see Albanians liking Turks too much. :laugh:

bocc
04-21-2013, 03:45 AM
I don't like Ibearians as much anymore. Used to identify strongly with Portuguese people, and was treated very nicely there when I visited but after being called a jew by lots of Portuguese on here who think of themselves as Irish I am not sure what they really think of me anymore.

Virtuous
04-21-2013, 03:48 AM
In Balkans case it can only escalate but for Europeans in general, yeah we get to chill and stuff cause we're awesome motherfuckers.

almenu mill- esperjenza li kelli heh.

Anglojew
04-21-2013, 04:41 AM
They're a microcosm of Europe as a whole complete with "illegal immigrants".

RussiaPrussia
04-21-2013, 04:57 AM
yes

asingh
04-21-2013, 05:39 AM
They're a microcosm of Europe as a whole complete with "illegal immigrants".

Yups..2nd class citizens as you termed it..! LoL. You would make a nice politician and administrator. ;)

Anyways:
I doubt people who flock to these types of boards are really coming for unification or togetherness. Most are just here to rip others apart and have a channel to say/do things which they cannot in reality. Nothing wrong with this. I hardly see people united here or on other race-fora. The fights and trolling are hilarious. :)

HispaniaSagrada
04-21-2013, 06:17 AM
The internet makes everyone an asshole. Online I would think most Brazilians are a bunch of shit talking retards who like to start trouble with the Portuguese. Except, in person I've never seen this kind of behavior and it's always kosher (so far) except for jokes, which most people don't take seriously n-e-wayz. I don't take 90% of the web seriously (or at least I try not to - I can be reactive like anybody else)

Damiăo de Góis
04-21-2013, 11:49 AM
I don't like Ibearians as much anymore. Used to identify strongly with Portuguese people, and was treated very nicely there when I visited but after being called a jew by lots of Portuguese on here who think of themselves as Irish I am not sure what they really think of me anymore.

Could you point me to those posts where portuguese members think of themselves as Irish? I've never seen it, and i'm curious.

Vasconcelos
04-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Could you point me to those posts where portuguese members think of themselves as Irish? I've never seen it, and i'm curious.

Me neither...:rolleyes:

Gaijin
04-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I think it's clearly obvious that is drives them apart.

With the large infestation of Non-Europeans and Trolls into the boards, who want to flame a certain Country/Ethnic group. Europeans who are subject to this kind of flames, leave the forum to break away from arraignments.
The aggravation and ascent numbers of certain European ethnic groups, also grants a zone of control over the forum, which might not be so favorable to the ethnic groups on a smaller herd.

I'm not a casual poster, but keen eyes know how to spectate.
The Apricity forum projects a mirror of what is happening in real life Europe.

Loki
04-21-2013, 05:18 PM

THIS one brings them together. It's what we make of it.

Comte Arnau
04-21-2013, 05:19 PM
The only two things that have really brought Europeans together are Erasmus and InterRail. And not all Euros, of course, only those in their 20s, with some high education and able to speak Euro-English.

However, Europeans would see they have more in common than not if a group of them found themselves out of a sudden in a different continent. Even in the Americas.

alfieb
04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Online forums don't bring Euros together or drive them apart. They do both equally.

Two things bring Euros together more than anything else:

Muslim migrants and gypsy migrants, both of whom most native Euros want gone.

bocc
04-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Was hyperbole, bit of a joke. Honestly just giving me more of a reason to feel this way lol. I see the examples of Spaniards/Portuguese on this boards then see with my own eyes when I'm in Iberia and there is a big difference.

Vasconcelos
04-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Was hyperbole, bit of a joke. Honestly just giving me more of a reason to feel this way lol

No Portuguese member considers him or herself anything else than what he or she is - Portuguese and Iberian. If this is one of the reasons you like Iberians less, then I suppose the issue lies with yourself.

bocc
04-21-2013, 09:42 PM
No Portuguese member considers him or herself anything else than what he or she is - Portuguese and Iberian. If this is one of the reasons you like Iberians less, then I suppose the issue lies with yourself.

Read my post again, obviously I don't actually think that. Has to do with pictures being cherry-picked more than anything.

Vasconcelos
04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Read my post again, obviously I don't actually think that. Has to do with pictures being cherry-picked more than anything.

There is a whole thread dedicated to that topic with literally hundreds of photos totaling thousands of people.

If you're refering to threads dedicated to singular individuals you should know everyone does it all the time, and these should in no way serve to represent an ethnic group. That is a silly reason to "dislike Iberians", as you said.

Damiăo de Góis
04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Was hyperbole, bit of a joke. Honestly just giving me more of a reason to feel this way lol. I see the examples of Spaniards/Portuguese on this boards then see with my own eyes when I'm in Iberia and there is a big difference.

You mean how iberians look in comparison with the 20 threads on Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz and Cristiano Ronaldo? Yeah, i agree with you.

bocc
04-21-2013, 09:48 PM
There is a whole thread dedicated to that topic with literally hundreds of photos totaling thousands of people.

If you're refering to threads dedicated to singular individuals you should know everyone does it all the time, and these should in no way serve to represent an ethnic group. That is a silly reason to "dislike Iberians", as you said.

I don't dislike Iberians holy crap, I love Portugal. I love most of Spain. Can you understand that I got offended when about 50% of the Portuguese members just replied "jew" to my thread? It honestly hurt me especially considering the good hospitality I received when I was there. I don't know if that hospitality was fake now.

If you don't understand my feeling you have zero empathy.

Comte Arnau
04-21-2013, 11:20 PM
I don't dislike Iberians holy crap, I love Portugal. I love most of Spain. Can you understand that I got offended when about 50% of the Portuguese members just replied "jew" to my thread? It honestly hurt me especially considering the good hospitality I received when I was there. I don't know if that hospitality was fake now.

And if you get affected by what is said on forums more than what you experience in real life, you have zero personality, mate.

Vasconcelos
04-21-2013, 11:21 PM
And if you get affected by what is said on forums more than what you experience in real life, you have zero personality, mate.

Yes, especially on a forum like this one.

Comte Arnau
04-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Yes, especially on a forum like this one.

That's it. I am called Spaniard almost every day, go figure, but I forgive them because they don't know what they're doing.

bocc
04-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Um, I would be even more offended in real life. Difference is people aren't likely to come out and say something like that in real life even if they think it. Which was what I was getting at.

The ironic thing is that you are expecting me not to get offended by being called jew and then 2-3 people got upset at what I said in this thread lol.

Comte Arnau
04-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Um, I would be even more offended in real life. Difference is people aren't likely to come out and say something like that in real life even if they think it. Which was what I was getting at.

And people here tend to exaggerate quite often with things they don't really mean. When you live in both worlds, you get used to both things.

Atlantic Islander
04-21-2013, 11:44 PM

I went over your thread (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?76253-Where-would-you-place-me-Help-me-decide-where-to-study-abroad!) and the only Iberian that said "Jewish" was Adamastor (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?76253-Where-would-you-place-me-Help-me-decide-where-to-study-abroad!&p=1518379&viewfull=1#post1518379), and he might have been kidding - I don't know, you'd have to ask him.

The only other Iberians that commented in the thread were myself and Vasconcelos, and neither one of us said you looked Jewish. :yo:

Baluarte
04-21-2013, 11:45 PM
None for me. I just look to share and get information.
Not to make friends or enemies.

I have the real world for that.

bocc
04-21-2013, 11:46 PM
And people here tend to exaggerate quite often with things they don't really mean. When you live in both worlds, you get used to both things.

Kk I'll try to be more of a cunt online

Damiăo de Góis
04-21-2013, 11:47 PM
I went over your thread (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?76253-Where-would-you-place-me-Help-me-decide-where-to-study-abroad!) and the only Iberian that said "Jewish" was Adamastor (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?76253-Where-would-you-place-me-Help-me-decide-where-to-study-abroad!&p=1518379&viewfull=1#post1518379), and he might have been kidding - I don't know, you'd have to ask him.

The only other Iberians that commented in the thread were myself and Vasconcelos, and neither one of us said you looked Jewish.

That's curious, i was under the impression that me and Catrau were there posting pictures of irish people and saying they were portuguese, while calling bocc a jew at the same time. But maybe it's just my imagination.

Jackson
04-22-2013, 12:10 AM
I don't know, i've never been outside of the British Isles and only occasionally met people from other countries in Europe who were culturally typical. So for me i guess it's opened up a way of understanding other people without needing to fill out passport application and spend money on travel costs.

I think it brings them together, and sometimes they get pushed apart again when arguments happen i guess. One problem is people drawing conclusions about a particular people based on their representatives on here, who they might just not get on with.

Virtuous
04-22-2013, 12:12 AM
I don't know, i've never been outside of the British Isles and only occasionally met people from other countries in Europe who were culturally typical. So for me i guess it's opened up a way of understanding other people without needing to fill out passport application and spend money on travel costs.

I think it brings them together, and sometimes they get pushed apart again when arguments happen i guess. One problem is people drawing conclusions about a particular people based on their representatives on here, who they might just not get on with.

come to Malta irl I'll beat you up faggit do you even lift?

Jackson
04-22-2013, 12:17 AM
come to Malta irl I'll beat you up faggit do you even lift?

:D

All Maltese are evil!

No, wait...:p

ubellaz
05-01-2013, 10:18 AM
The online discussion forums for me helpful bringing them together.the way how people come together from different places and share ideas and thoughts is really good. Also this is very helpful in sharing knowledge and bring out the educational ideas. I think this is the best use of technology.

arcticwolf
07-14-2013, 11:43 PM
The online discussion forums for me helpful bringing them together.the way how people come together from different places and share ideas and thoughts is really good. Also this is very helpful in sharing knowledge and bring out the educational ideas. I think this is the best use of technology.

A- :laugh:

Gorštak
07-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Before this forum I had sympathy for Jews and hated Holocaust deniers.
But after meeting Jews here, I almost becomed one of them.