PDA

View Full Version : Paleo Diet

korkolola
06-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Are any of you guys on a socalled Paleolithic Diet at the moment? What's your opinion about it? :)

The paleolithic diet (abbreviated paleo diet or paleodiet), also popularly referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a modern nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various hominid species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet.

Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, vegetables, fruit, fungi, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils.

First popularized in the mid-1970s by gastroenterologist Walter L. Voegtlin, this nutritional concept has been promoted and adapted by a number of authors and researchers in several books and academic journals. A common theme in evolutionary medicine, Paleolithic nutrition is based on the premise that modern humans are genetically adapted to the diet of their Paleolithic ancestors and that human genetics have scarcely changed since the dawn of agriculture, and therefore that an ideal diet for human health and well-being is one that resembles this ancestral diet.

Proponents of this diet argue that modern human populations subsisting on traditional diets allegedly similar to those of Paleolithic hunter-gatherers are largely free of diseases of affluence, and that two small prospective studies of the Paleolithic diet in humans have shown some positive health outcomes. Supporters point to several potentially therapeutic nutritional characteristics of allegedly preagricultural diets.

This dietary approach is a controversial topic amongst dietitians and anthropologists, and an article on the National Health Service of the United Kingdom Choices website suggests that it may be a fad diet. Critics have argued that if hunter-gatherer societies failed to suffer from "diseases of civilization", this was due to reduced calories in their diet, or a variety of other factors, rather than because of some special diet composition. Some researchers have taken issue with the accuracy of the diet's underlying evolutionary logic.

Also disputed are some dietary recommendations and restrictions on the grounds that they provide no health benefits or pose health risks and are not likely to accurately reflect the features of ancient Paleolithic diets.

A 2011 ranking by U.S. News & World Report, involving a panel of 22 experts, ranked the Paleo diet lowest of the 20 diets evaluated based on factors including health, weight-loss and ease of following. These results were repeated in the 2012 survey, where the diet placed 24th out of 24, stating that their experts "took issue with the diet on every measure". However, one expert involved in the ranking stated that a "true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants. The modern approximations… are far from it." He quickly added that "duplicating such a regimen in modern times would be difficult." Leading Paleo expert Robb Wolf also provided detailed rebuttals via his blog.

Fortis in Arduis
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Well, in terms of fat, carbs and protein balance, I lost a ton of body flab when I lived on omelettes, spinach and broccoli.

Take note Inquiring Mind:

I ate cheese omelettes and steamed broccoli and I shrank beyond my wildest expectations, and it was super tasty. The reason: no carbs.

I wrote about it in the Apricity Shrinkers Social Group. It was not so clever as a paleo-diet but I shrank nicely.

gold_fenix
06-09-2012, 07:54 PM
the food based in fish and meat have the problem of toxins, uric acid, decreased blood pH in the process of asimilation , but this can be solved with fruits and vegetables

derLowe
06-09-2012, 08:13 PM
The high stress little food diet works for me.

IConnor
06-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I have tried many diets, but cravings always seem to bring the weight back. I have lost 10 pounds on the Paleo Plan in a little over 2 weeks with no cravings. I do not even get hungry. Either water consumption or dairy elimination has eliminated constipation. This is a delicious and simple way to eat good food and feel good. I do keep a calorie diary and I do exercise.

korkolola
06-09-2012, 10:56 PM
I've always found it difficult to focus for sport, I felt quite drained energy-wise, but after a few weeks of Paleo (most of my friends are on it, so the start of it was more of a social-dieting kind) I feel very energetic and can do more at the gym than ever.

I think it's an attractively presented basic rules (no processed foods, no sugary breads, sugar and GMO crops), which are not new, just presented in some sort of a new manner which is attractive to people. The story behind the diet is also very psychologically appealing :)

I was always a dairy-product lover, loved my Italian foods, breads, etc., but for the last couple of weeks the positive impact of NOT eating it makes me suppress my cravings pretty well. :)

Wonder if the type of diet (nutrition) which is the best for you differs by your ancestry?

p.s.: funny pro-Paleo ad :)

http://youtu.be/rfbkUT0Qx2Q

Jon Snow
06-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Well, in terms of fat, carbs and protein balance, I lost a ton of body flab when I lived on omelettes, spinach and broccoli.

I ate cheese omelettes and steamed broccoli and I shrank beyond my wildest expectations, and it was super tasty. The reason: no carbs.

I wrote about it in the Apricity Shrinkers Social Group. It was not so clever as a paleo-diet but I shrank nicely.

This.

A high carb diet (which, though they don't know it, it what 90% of westerners eat) is only optimal for skinny teenage boys who want to gain mass--and even then, it needs to be supplemented with a high protein intake.

For the rest of us, the basic formula should be high protein, high fat, low carb.

Personally, the eating modality I follow is referred to as "carb cycling". On a typical day, I keep my net carb intake to 50 grams or less, but otherwise eat as much as I want of whatever I want. Twice a week, I indulge in a high-carb "refeed" day, in which I eat as much as I want of whatever I want with no restrictions whatsoever.

There's a good deal of science behind it, but I won't bother getting into it unless people are curious.

rhiannon
06-12-2012, 01:51 AM

I could sustain this for quite a while....but after some time it would be hard to never eat bread, pasta,rice, and potatoes.

Jon Snow
06-12-2012, 02:12 AM
I could sustain this for quite a while....but after some time it would be hard to never eat bread, pasta,rice, and potatoes.

That's why carb cycling is where it's at. :D

Grizzly
06-12-2012, 02:16 AM
I don't understand why it's so hard for people to get the "perfect diet" or to lose weight. Eat less, eat healthier and exercise.. Most importantly lay off the soda and the sweets.

Yes, I know it sounds so simple :rolleyes2:

rhiannon
06-12-2012, 02:33 AM
I don't understand why it's so hard for people to get the "perfect diet" or to lose weight. Eat less, eat healthier and exercise.. Most importantly lay off the soda and the sweets.

It's a little more complicated than just that, however. I know what you are getting at, though.

Contra Mundum
06-12-2012, 03:19 AM
I know people who have removed wheat and foods with added sugar from their diet, and feel and look much healthier.

Fortis in Arduis
06-12-2012, 03:34 AM
That's why carb cycling is where it's at. :D

Sounds perfect for rest days. What is the science behind the two refeed days?

I am curious. It sounds intelligent.

Jon Snow
06-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Most people, as you have proposed, use the refeed days on their rest days, but personally I prefer to work out on my refeed days. AFAIK, however, it's just a matter of preference.

In any case, here's the purpose behind the refeed days. First and foremost, it keeps carb cravings under control. After having gorged on carbs the previous day, it becomes very easy to adhere to a low-carb diet for the next 2-3 days, at which point it becomes time for your next refeed.

Moreover, one of the reasons the typical high-carb diet sucks is because maintaining a high insulin level leads to weight gain and prevents the body from shedding fat. However, if one simply "spikes" the insulin level for a shorter amount of time and then brings it back down to a low level, the negative effects of insulin on body composition become negligible. In other words, one's "cheat" days don't adversely effect one's progress.

Finally, the aforementioned insulin spikes can also help to increase the efficiency of amino acid production and utilization, thereby giving a minor boost to muscle-building.

As a diet, it's quite satisfying on both low- and high-carb days and very easy to stick to.

Corvus
06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I don`t care much about my diet. Physical exercise is the key.
You either have to do physical demanding work or do some kind of sport everyday.
The only disadvatange of sport are the injuries like at the moment.
A foot injury prevents me from training :(

Talvi
06-12-2012, 03:32 PM

I dont know. Last year I went to the gym for half a year, the last few months I went almost every day.

Absolutely nothing changed.

Supreme American
06-12-2012, 03:50 PM

A lot of that is media hype, trying to get people to buy something, to convince them they can't lose weight if they don't buy product X. Eating better in general in and of itself helps, not counting adding exercise.

Jon Snow
06-12-2012, 03:57 PM
I dont know. Last year I went to the gym for half a year, the last few months I went almost every day.

Absolutely nothing changed.

Were you doing cardio for all or most of your workout?

Talvi
06-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Were you doing cardio for all or most of your workout?

No. I was doing mostly aerobics, pilates and yoga.

I didnt lose weight, I didnt get stronger and I cant bend better.

Jon Snow
06-12-2012, 04:03 PM

That's quite surprising, in light of what you were doing there. Perhaps your instructors were below par. :D

As to the other two criteria that you weren't able to fulfill, I'd say that weight training was in all likelihood the missing component.

Talvi
06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
That's quite surprising, in light of what you were doing there. Perhaps your instructors were below par. :D

As to the other two criteria that you weren't able to fulfill, I'd say that weight training was in all likelihood the missing component.

Sadly I dont bend at all! I cant even reach my toes.. in any way!!! My body is just cursed and sadly most of my fat is located where its most difficult to get rid of it. Hips, thighs and butt.

Looks like Ill be eating broccoli and eggs the next 10 days.

Jon Snow
06-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Sadly I dont bend at all! I cant even reach my toes.. in any way!!! My body is just cursed and sadly most of my fat is located where its most difficult to get rid of it. Hips, thighs and butt.

Looks like Ill be eating broccoli and eggs the next 10 days.

Definitely the best place for a girl to carry her fat, IMO.

Anyway, I feel your pain on not being very flexible naturally. Following a dedicated stretching regimen hasn't made a world of difference in my flexibility, but it has been responsible for at least a marginal improvement.

Fortis in Arduis
06-12-2012, 04:16 PM

The aerobics might have undone your efforts in Pilates and yoga, but yoga should be six days a week.

Expect to become stronger slowly, making sure that you don't over-train and undo your hard work by resting and eating well.

The joy of yoga is that the cumulative effects are lifelong youthfulness, and you are at just the right age to start, and would be placing yourself amongst an elite of individuals who practise, like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge aka 'Prince William and Kate Middleton'.

There is so much wisdom encoded within the science.

Fortis in Arduis
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
If you are naturally inflexible then it does not mean that yoga would be fruitless for you. Some people just are, especially those born prematurely, and one reaches a plateau and it takes months of painstaking effort, and suddenly the muscle gives up and one achieves victory! Marvellous!

Yes carbohydrate restriction works, but you could also have one or two days a week just eating fruit. I might try this after what Jon Snow has said. :)

korkolola
06-13-2012, 12:09 AM
I wonder whether losing weight has something to do with one's phenotype, ethnicity. For me it's really easy to lose weight and even more easy to gain it.

BTW, for all those desperate - I am biased and sect-sounding here, but try Paleo. :p I was a bread, pasta, sweets type of person, but I don't have cravings, even though I eat really healthy. At all. I don't use sugar, so once I tried eating an ice-cream I used to like, I couldn't stand the sugary feel to it, which I have never noticed before. :coffee:

Grizzly
06-13-2012, 01:47 AM
I wonder whether losing weight has something to do with one's phenotype, ethnicity. For me it's really easy to lose weight and even more easy to gain it.

BTW, for all those desperate - I am biased and sect-sounding here, but try Paleo. :p I was a bread, pasta, sweets type of person, but I don't have cravings, even though I eat really healthy. At all. I don't use sugar, so once I tried eating an ice-cream I used to like, I couldn't stand the sugary feel to it, which I have never noticed before. :coffee:

Well, I think it's harder for people in the United States as people here eat so much food. We are kinda brainwashed here to eat whenever we can.. TV is filled with food commercials, there are unhealthy fast food joints in just about every corner of the United States, kids are eating junk food in schools which only reinforces bad eating habits, fast food is mainstream, etc..

Talvi
06-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Its difficult for me to not eat bread!!! Like different kind of buns and crossaints. OMG!!!!

However, I started gaining weight around the time I started drinking alcohol. And thats also something I dont want to stop.

Dalton Fury
07-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Look up Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale

Legion
07-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I tried short term (raw) paleo diet 2 years ago with mixed results. Consumables included: raw ground beef with extra fat, organs, bone marrow, raw eggs, fish, etc. Also fruit for different periods of time.

Raw meats are much easier to digest and have more nutrients, so there was notable benefit of having more energy. If I live without bread for prolonged periods of time, I get overwhelmed with stomach acid since there is no spongy material to absorb it. This is the reason I didn't last long on a paleo diet alone. When I had a combination of regular foods along with the raw flesh, it worked quite well for me. It would probably have been worse with a cooked paleo diet, being harder to digest and requiring much more acidity.

A criticism of the paleo diet is the way it treats certain foods like butter. Butter is an important neolithic invention, and the traces of dairy allergens will probably be harmless to all but the most extremely dairy intolerant. It nearly saved my life once and transformed me from a complete zombie in one experiment. Fat is a wonderful source of energy and healing, despite the way media demonizes it.

It's also unlikely that we had sources of food other than the flesh of megafauna during the paleolithic, so the loads of cultivated fruits and vegetables that this diet emphasizes looks unrealistic. Such food would be very scarce during paleo times. It may be a good idea to seek nutrition from these sources, but it sounds hypocritical to promote so much of this food while forbidding butter.

A lot of practitioners are also against salt, which I believe is necessary in small amounts. Our ancestors likely gained HCl and other minerals through the blood of prey animals. Many animals today also actively seek salt licks. Without salt, I quickly get dehydrated and eventually mineral deficiencies.

In short, I think the PD, and especially raw PD is good to experiment with. As with any diet, it has to be modified to suit the individual since we know little about actual nutrition or the way our ancestors ate in the first place.

PetiteParisienne
07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Hubby and I are giving Paleo a shot!

Mark Trail
07-19-2012, 01:34 AM
I need to try this. It is in keeping with my philosophy, and I am starting to get fat.

Marmie Dearest
07-19-2012, 02:00 AM
This extreme is not necessary, a big part of the problem is simply high fructose corn syrup, which was proven at Princeton to make rats gain weight 45% more in the same period of time as rats who simply had sugar with their water.

High fructose corn syrup, lack of fresh whole foods, not enough fruits-veg-nut-whole grain...this is the problem, it's not that we need to eat raw meat and no bread.

Marmie Dearest
07-19-2012, 02:03 AM

Eating no carbs is bad for your brain and thyroid.

Mark Trail
07-19-2012, 02:24 AM
potatoes are not processed so they should be ok.

PetiteParisienne
07-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Eating no carbs is bad for your brain and thyroid.

Fruit and vegetables provide carbohydrates, as well as potatoes, yams, and sweet potatoes. Carbohydrates, regardless of what source they come from, all turn to glucose in the body. It's just that complex carbs are 'slower' and therefore of more value.

PetiteParisienne
07-19-2012, 02:28 PM
For anyone interested in this way of eating, I recommend checking out my friend Vanessa's gorgeous food blog. I made a batch of her homemade mayo today!

http://themeaningoffood.com/?cat=136

Legion
07-19-2012, 03:26 PM
This extreme is not necessary, a big part of the problem is simply high fructose corn syrup, which was proven at Princeton to make rats gain weight 45% more in the same period of time as rats who simply had sugar with their water.

High fructose corn syrup, lack of fresh whole foods, not enough fruits-veg-nut-whole grain...this is the problem, it's not that we need to eat raw meat and no bread.

Corn syrup.... and all the aspartame, sodium benzoate, artificial colors, etc. Regardless of diet, it is wise to stop eating all these chemicals and also add nutrient dense fats like grass-fed butter.

Carbs/plant matter is beneficial and I eat it myself, but how natural is it? What if it's a "drug" we are all dependent on. Carbohydrates would be very scarce in nature.

Paleo diets are typically of cooked meat, vegetables, etc. Few people consume raw meat, but there is no reason to exclude it from one's food intake. I used to eat raw grass-fed ground beef and did fairly well on it, was energetic than usual.

Marmie Dearest
07-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Fruit and vegetables provide carbohydrates, as well as potatoes, yams, and sweet potatoes. Carbohydrates, regardless of what source they come from, all turn to glucose in the body. It's just that complex carbs are 'slower' and therefore of more value.

But whole grains are also a slow carb.

Marmie Dearest
07-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Corn syrup.... and all the aspartame, sodium benzoate, artificial colors, etc. Regardless of diet, it is wise to stop eating all these chemicals and also add nutrient dense fats like grass-fed butter.

Carbs/plant matter is beneficial and I eat it myself, but how natural is it? What if it's a "drug" we are all dependent on. Carbohydrates would be very scarce in nature.

Paleo diets are typically of cooked meat, vegetables, etc. Few people consume raw meat, but there is no reason to exclude it from one's food intake. I used to eat raw grass-fed ground beef and did fairly well on it, was energetic than usual.

I don't think it's a drug. I've done low carb diets, they made me feel weak and depressed.

There have been multiple scientific studies which point to the fact that people need whole grains and "good carbs" not to give up carbs entirely.

However, I would agree with the person who said that some people need more carbs and less protein, and vice versa, based on body type or something.

rhiannon
07-20-2012, 07:59 AM
For anyone interested in this way of eating, I recommend checking out my friend Vanessa's gorgeous food blog. I made a batch of her homemade mayo today!

http://themeaningoffood.com/?cat=136

I'm going to make that stuff as soon as I replace the food processor that just broke (POS dammit). Mayo is manna from heaven:D

PetiteParisienne
07-20-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm going to make that stuff as soon as I replace the food processor that just broke (POS dammit). Mayo is manna from heaven:D

I had some of it yesterday with sweet potato fries (also homemade).

PetiteParisienne
07-20-2012, 07:23 PM
But whole grains are also a slow carb.

They are. However, the issue lies in the fact that most people have some level of gluten-intolerance.

Legion
07-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Since wheat is a new food in our history, gluten adaptation is probably non-existent. It shouldn't bother one unless hyper-sensitive to gluten (Celiac etc.) I eat wheat because I find it beneficial in absorbing stomach acid. In my experience, the best whole grain is (pre-roasted) buckwheat. It digests more easily than brown rice or quinoa and provides almost the same nutrition value.

There are other foodgroups, including nightshades, that can also affect hypersensitive or allergenic people. Even more suspicious are dairy products. Stopping dairy intake will take away risk from those who can't tolerate it, but will also be a loss of a very easily accessible source of fat and protein. If anyone goes on a paleo diet, I highly recommend keeping butter.

kreesey
11-22-2012, 08:13 AM
I have tried many diets, but cravings always seem to bring the weight back. I have lost 10 pounds on the Paleo Plan in a little over 2 weeks with no cravings. I do not even get hungry. Either water consumption or dairy elimination has eliminated constipation. This is a delicious and simple way to eat good food and feel good. I do keep a calorie diary and I do exercise.