PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do You Think That Gun Ownership Equals An Ambivalance Towards Gun Violence?

Frigga
06-07-2009, 03:55 AM
I'm just curious myself. I have noticed over the years that there are many people who strongly believe that the right to bear arms leads to a ambivalance, or even support of gun crime, and have cited school shootings for the basis of tighter gun restrictions, along with other instances. I am for loose gun control, as I am a staunch believer in the American Bill of Rights, and the Second Amendment, which states not only the right to bear arms, but the right to a well organized militia. But I know that not everyone has the same belief as I do. I am hoping for your vote on whatever you feel, and a heartfelt explanation for how you voted. Please elaborate.

Barreldriver
06-07-2009, 04:13 AM
I see no poll. :(

Bloodeagle
06-07-2009, 06:10 AM
There seems to be an invisible poll here!
I agree with Frigga on the issue of gun ownership.
There has been pressure from the American liberals for years now to ban handguns and restrict firearms in general. They like to present their claims of guns killing people by using European statistics with low firearm fatalities. They make claims that we are in a crisis of gun deaths and so on, blah, blah, blah.
I might be wrong but there have been very few European nations whose population has been able to mobilize into a militia and fight an invading force, when their military has been defeated. The kings and queens needed an unarmed society to help insure total rule and now the successor governments don't feel the need to change this aspect of life.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Ncsucr2.gif

I believe in personal responsibility on all levels, be it self defense or European preservation.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/be/Homicide_offending_by_race.gif

I as an American constitutional libertarian would rather die than hand over my firearms! I mean what will stop our enemies if the state fails us.
With our current president.
We might be closer to this reality now than ever before in our history.

anonymaus
06-07-2009, 06:35 AM
I'm just curious myself. I have noticed over the years that there are many people who strongly believe that the right to bear arms leads to a ambivalance, or even support of gun crime, and have cited school shootings for the basis of tighter gun restrictions, along with other instances. I am for loose gun control, as I am a staunch believer in the American Bill of Rights, and the Second Amendment, which states not only the right to bear arms, but the right to a well organized militia. But I know that not everyone has the same belief as I do. I am hoping for your vote on whatever you feel, and a heartfelt explanation for how you voted. Please elaborate.

I think the way you so carefully couched the question lends much more credence to anti-gun dogma than it deserves.

I will respond to such nonsense ideas only to say that there is no connection whatsoever between the right to bear arms and the irrational lawlessness which uses (almost always illegal) arms to commit crime; similarly, the pervasiveness of firearms does not create a climate of lawlessness: it is rather the opposite.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

-Thomas Jefferson

Man’s rights can be violated only by the use of physical force. It is only by means of physical force that one man can deprive another of his life, or enslave him, or rob him, or prevent him from pursuing his own goals, or compel him to act against his own rational judgment.

The precondition of a civilized society is the barring of physical force from social relationships—thus establishing the principle that if men wish to deal with one another, they may do so only by means of reason: by discussion, persuasion and voluntary, uncoerced agreement.

-Ayn Rand

Sol Invictus
06-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it.

Vulpix
06-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Poll added. I voted no.

Rudy
06-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Gun carry laws, in combination with laws that allow self defense , deter crime. I am in favor of property defense, and community defense laws also.

The militia requires military style firearms.

The Lawspeaker
06-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I voted no. It's like saying that owning a car equals an ambivalence towards road rage.
Switzerland and Cuba (of all places- I have read it somewhere) are also armed societies and yet gun violence seems to be rare there. It all depends on how you use your piece and I think that gun ownership actually equals a protection against gun violence since you can shoot an armed criminal on sight !

SwordoftheVistula
06-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Most people who support stricter restrictions on gun rights also tend to support lower sentences and more 'rights' for people who actually engage in gun crimes

Rainraven
06-08-2009, 03:52 AM
I voted no.

You can say that "if they didn't have a gun they couldn't have shot them" all you like, but if someone really wants a gun, they'll find a way to get one, and if someone really wants to kill a person then they'll find a way to do it. The best thing we can do is make sure that the good guys have guns to defend themselves :thumb001:

Frigga
06-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Thank you all for your insight! :)

I see that there are two people who voted yes. But, no one has yet posted an argument for their stance. I would very much like to hear what the other side has to say, because I truly want to understand what you believe in, and your point of view.

Don't be shy! :)

Rachel
06-09-2009, 05:43 PM
I said no,

while i feel that we should all be allowed to own guns if we choose i feel that when you have kids in the house you should show them the gun, teach them about it show them how it works so that they can get the curiosity out of their system. And so it goes without saying that while i feel you have the right to own a gun i feel that gun ownership and responsibility should be tighter when parents choose to own and a gun and have children, lock them up and be up front and honest with your kids about the gun it's self.

Matritensis
10-11-2009, 08:20 PM
With disciplined,well educated,law abiding people guns shouldn't be a problem.

Germanicus
10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
With disciplined,well educated,law abiding people guns shouldn't be a problem.

I agree, i also voted no.

Manifest Destiny
11-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Supporting gun ownership doesn't equate to ambivalence towards gun violence. It just means that you don't believe that the actions of lunatics and scumbags should be used as an excuse to violate your rights.

Murphy
11-02-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't think Americans should have guns. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Regards,
The Eunuch.

Manifest Destiny
11-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't think Americans should have guns. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Regards,
The Eunuch.

I don't believe that Catholics should be in positions of political power or have unsupervised access to children, much for the same reason.

Regards,

Dresden

Murphy
11-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't believe that Catholics should be in positions of political power or have unsupervised access to children, much for the same reason.

Regards,
Dresden

Aaah, why did you have to go all dark on me :(..

Regards,
The Eunuch.

Svipdag
11-02-2009, 03:18 PM
As I have pointed out in a previous post, in the 1930's and '40's, when acquisition of firearms was almost unrestricted, there were NO driveby shootings, NO school shootings, and NO workplace shootings.

Obviously, law-abiding citizens do not commit crimes. Therefore, there is no reason why they should not own guns for recreational target-schooting, hunting, and defense against lawbreaking citizens.

Criminals will always acquire firearms illegally. In the heyday of gangsterism, the weapon of choice was the Thompson submachine gun. It is not and never has been legal for civilians to possess this weapon (except modified to be unshootable, as a collectible). That minor technicality did not hinder the illegal acquisitioin of these weapons by gangsters.

While it has become increasingly difficult for law-abiding citizens to acquire firearms, gun violence has INCREASED. The only explanation for this paradox is that society has changed. Ambivalence toward gun violence is only one example of a general ambivalence toward all kinds of violence, indeed a predeliction for violence.

SwordoftheVistula
11-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Recent story in the news:

4 robbers burst into jewelry store, attack 84 year old owner. 84 year old man pulls out a gun and opens fire, the robbers flee:

http://www.wpbf.com/news/21509260/detail.html

http://www.wpbf.com/2009/1103/21509296_240X180.jpg

A Lake Park jewelry store owner who got into a shootout with four people who tried to rob his business Monday told WPBF 25 News he's "still John Wayne" and would fire his gun again to defend himself.

Art Lewis, 84, is a retired engineer who has owned the Jewelry Exchange for the past 15 years. Lewis said he's had some close calls before, but Monday was the first time he's ever had to use his gun.

"When I saw the flash of his gun, I drew my gun," Lewis told WPBF 25 News' Meredith McDonough. "I had it in my pocket and I fired five times, and as I was firing everybody exited real quick."
Lewis said he was working in his store when a woman came to the door. He said he buzzed her in when three men followed behind her.

"They just didn't look like real customers," Lewis said. "I was a little apprehensive immediately."

Lewis said the woman was asking about rings, but he didn't have any to show, and that's when the shootout began.

"I was just waiting a couple seconds, and then before I knew it one of the men ran behind my counter and fired his weapon," Lewis said. "He fired two shots at me."

One of those shots struck the magnifying lamp. Lewis then fired back, he recalled, at least five times.

Lewis said one of the bullets hit the store window. As for the other four, Lewis said he thinks he got them.

It was the third time Lewis' store has been targeted. A few years ago, Lewis said, he was tied up and everything was stolen.

Now, Lewis said he's not taking any chances.

"Fortunately, you know, I think I saved my life by firing my gun," Lewis said. "I don't know. I don't want to hurt anybody. I just hope it's a deterrent for the rest of the crowd out there. If you come in my store, I'm going to shoot you."

safinator
02-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Absolutely Not

CordedWhelp
03-25-2014, 05:15 PM
No, healthy attitudes can be a reality...

Why do people welcome the disarming of the common people? Why do we think that the "professionals" in this utopia fantasy who are allowed arms are just so much more benevolent than everyone else?

I'd much rather trust the hillbilly with a shotgun than the average cop any day.