PDA

View Full Version : Why do Albanian Macedonians put up walls around their houses?

poiuytrewq0987
06-10-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't really get why; it's a defining characterstic of theirs in Macedonia where they have walls enclosing their house to a point that walkbyers can't look in. Even the gate is usually walled. I usually assume it's a Muslim thing of theirs since Muslims of other ethnic communities usually do it as well.

Hurrem sultana
06-10-2012, 02:43 PM
we dont do it

Kanuni
06-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Because they descend that tradition from their Paleo-Balkanic ancestors.Megalithic walls.:p

Vojnik
06-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Maybe they use it so no one can see the shiffty activity inside.

Panopticon
06-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't know why, but I like it. My guess is that it's for protection: in terms of privacy, from physical threat and the ability to choose who can come inside. Albanian society being somewhat Introvert, I would say that's likely. Albanian homes in Kosova and Albania, especially the former, are usually like that too.

Or it could be that we enjoy having some privacy; not having people look at what you're doing at home, whatever that may be.

Rather poor logical reasoning; do you think all Albanians do it because all Albanians are involved in "shifty activity"? That just doesn't sound likely. If that was the case, only the ones involved in shifty activity would have built walls around their homes. As if they would have been doing "shifty activity" in their gardens because they have walls. And this tradition predates organized crime anyway.

Supreme American
06-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't really get why; it's a defining characterstic of theirs in Macedonia where they have walls enclosing their house to a point that walkbyers can't look in. Even the gate is usually walled. I usually assume it's a Muslim thing of theirs since Muslims of other ethnic communities usually do it as well.

They do the same in Pakistan.

I'd say by your avatar, you like to "look in."

Sturmgewehr
06-10-2012, 06:43 PM

yup I don't want u to see me passing out my wife to my biker friends for chrome grips and cylinder covers while having a barbecue behind those walls.

Looks sexy doesn't it?

http://factorypricing.com/images/base/powersports/harley-Dyna-Super-Glide.jpg

Hess
06-10-2012, 06:46 PM

I'd say by your avatar, you like to "look in."

http://cliff.hostkansas.com/images/2012/i-see-what-you-did-there-261.jpg

Virtuous
06-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I don't know, why is the world round, why is shit the colour of brown why did hitler kill JEWS, WHY YOU ASK ME?

Drawing-slim
06-10-2012, 07:21 PM
why not. Macedonian slavs are stealing land and identity in front of the whole world in broad daylight, why shouldn't an albanian build some walls around his property?
Albanians have build walls around their property thousands of years before islam ever came into existence.
Enever hoxha build walls also around the whole country for 45 years and sure as hell we cant call him a muslim. People call him crazy bu i dont.

This is a testament that albanians personal space property indentity and life itelsef has always been threaten by outsuders.
This is a clear indication of our history since the dawn of time. People who love to live in peace and left alone in their property.

Hurrem sultana
06-10-2012, 08:20 PM
they did not want others to see their women

rashka
06-10-2012, 08:34 PM
I will tell you the one and only reason. It has nothing to do with religion. They would ALL do it if they had the money. The ones who have the money will build a wall around their home because they are protecting themselves and do not want any strangers or visitors seeing who is in their home or how their homes look like. This is because they are afraid of any vendettas out against them. They can have a lot of enemies from within their culture seeking revenge. This is their lifestyle.

Vanguard
06-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Backward people.Probably Maghrebian tradition.

~Nik~
06-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I will tell you the one and only reason. It has nothing to do with religion. They would ALL do it if they had the money. The ones who have the money will build a wall around their home because they are protecting themselves and do not want any strangers or visitors seeing who is in their home or how their homes look like. This is because they are afraid of any vendettas out against them. They can have a lot of enemies from within their culture seeking revenge. This is their lifestyle.

It does not come only from them, it's a social morality that existed among all the mountain peoples around of Herzegovina to Albania via Montenegro.

Ko se ne osveti, on se ne posveti : who doesn't avenge, doesn't sanctify. That is to say will be damned for having encouraged by his cowardice the violence of others. This is a very primitive system used to guarantee freedoms of mountain families. These mountaineers have been used to build kula's (towers) instead of houses surrounded by walls, it must be the result of the urbanization and transportation of these mores in the city.

Drawing-slim
06-11-2012, 01:40 AM
."hollywood stars do the same. They all have high fences around theor property.
I live next to wane newtons house and i cant see shit for ever! I doesnt bother me though, only makedonian slavs and serbs get bothered by people keeping to themselves.

Guapo
06-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Backward people.Probably Maghrebian tradition.

Yo bro what happened to HungAryan?

Because they descend that tradition from their Paleo-Balkanic ancestors.Megalithic walls.:p

Why you hiding your ethnicity, Leo? ashamed of it?

Sisak
07-01-2013, 03:42 AM
Because they are more civilized.

morski
07-01-2013, 03:49 AM
To stop their women from fleeing?

Drawing-slim
07-01-2013, 04:44 AM
^Fleeing where? To whom?
I was talking to this tall Australian girl, blond 6 feet+
And i quote, she said traveling all around Europe, south central EU including Albania, she said at least in Albania men were tall not hairy and attractive, while she said I got used to seen short hairy men around these other countries.
She specifically said this about Albania for she wasn't crazy about the country that much eccording to her..

So if Albanians feel threatened by each others good looks its only fair game I say:D

Skerdilaid
07-01-2013, 04:52 AM
This has nothing to do with religion. I have 2 meter wall around my property and I have newer build house and a traditional ODA. People build walls because they can, and now days in the cities walls are quite fancy and very expensive. In the west usually the expensive neighbor hoods have walls.

Usually only poor people had no walls, at least this is how it was back in the day. Drawing-live mos ke shetit ti naten me shkalle;)

Methmatician
07-01-2013, 04:57 AM
I hear they do it in Bosnia as well.

wvwvw
07-01-2013, 05:37 AM
Macedonja je Bulgarja!!

Sisak
07-01-2013, 05:43 AM
In Croatia were made wooden fences, nothing expensive, you go into the forest and give master carpenter from the village that you make a fence.

ALSh
07-01-2013, 08:48 AM
It has nothing to do with religion. Why surprised by the wall? I would be more surprised if it was no wall at all, and here the ones who don't build a wall are those who don't have money.

The Illyrian Warrior
07-01-2013, 10:34 AM

For us property is sacred, we dont want others to by pass in our properties. :D

The Illyrian Warrior
07-01-2013, 10:40 AM

:lol00002: :lol00002: :lol00002:

EPIC stupidity.

riverman
07-01-2013, 10:44 AM
^Fleeing where? To whom?
I was talking to this tall Australian girl, blond 6 feet+
And i quote, she said traveling all around Europe, south central EU including Albania, she said at least in Albania men were tall not hairy and attractive, while she said I got used to seen short hairy men around these other countries.
She specifically said this about Albania for she wasn't crazy about the country that much eccording to her..

So if Albanians feel threatened by each others good looks its only fair game I say:D

What was her definition of "hairy"? I'm bearded yet have relatively light hair growth for whiteys.

Drawing-slim
07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
What was her definition of "hairy"? I'm bearded yet have relatively light hair growth for whiteys. she was purely Scandinavian/German blond looking, tall and very well traveled, mid 20's.
I don't know but she said tall atrctive and less not hairy..She had spend one year around Europe. Very blunt about her taste cute geeky smart looking..
Didn't go to much into it since she was 6'1" and I'm 5'10":D

morski
07-01-2013, 11:39 AM
she was purely Scandinavian/German blond looking, tall and very well traveled, mid 20's.
I don't know but she said tall atrctive and less not hairy..She had spend one year around Europe. Very blunt about her taste cute geeky smart looking..
Didn't go to much into it since she was 6'1" and I'm 5'10":D

So, some random Australian chick is now an authority on European men, hey. That's pure gold.:D

Drawing-slim
07-01-2013, 11:59 AM
So, some random Australian chick is now an authority on European men, hey. That's pure gold.:Dno, that's not what i was implying but nevertheless Australians are the most traveled western people therefore the world. So if well-traveled also wise I must say.
I met another Australian while back who had been to Albania solely because our neighbors and around Europe he had heard bad rep about us.
I even tested him whether he had just read this blog/paper online about travel to albania which is similar storyline he was describing, so I questioned him about detailed stuff about Albania and places he had been, so sure wasn't lying.
He said Albanians are very friendly and cool people, and he even said how lame mindset of our neighbors.. Describing modestly their evil lame nature.
These are smart observer travelers that I respect actually, despite bad or good things they have to say about my country.

riverman
07-01-2013, 12:07 PM
How high are these walls? What are they made of?

alb0zfinest
07-01-2013, 01:14 PM
How high are these walls? What are they made of?

20-30 feet high. They are made of rocks and Serb organs.

The Illyrian Warrior
07-01-2013, 01:42 PM
20-30 feet high. They are made of rocks and Serb organs.

:D

:laugh:

Crn Volk
07-04-2013, 04:59 AM
it's a muslim thing i guess