PDA

View Full Version : New Mosque Causes Ethnic Rift In Southwest

poiuytrewq0987
06-11-2012, 11:51 PM
A village mosque that is to be built in Lazec, near Bitola, in southwestern Macedonia, has been creating tension for years in the ethnically mixed village, where 120 Macedonians and 80 Albanians live. The two groups cannot agree on the location of the new mosque.

Lazec Macedonians said the original planned location that the Islamic community wants to build coincide with the foundations of the St George Orthodox Church.

Tensions further escalated after the municipality council of Bitola decided to approve the mosque at the village entrance. Macedonians from Lazec said that they are not against the construction of religious buildings, but they oppose the planned location.

“We want the mosque to be built next to the church, which will satisfy the request of the Macedonian people from the village, and will send a message that the village is multi-ethnic, where Macedonians and Albanians live together. Albanian residents again asked that the mosque be located at the village entrance, which hurts the Macedonians who say that if the mosque is built at the entrance to the village it will signal that only Albanians live here,” Orce Dandushevski, Lazec community president, told SETimes

The representative of the Islamic religious community from Bitola, Mufti Plumi Veliu, said that the community is waiting for a suitable moment to start the mosque construction.

“The technical documentation is complete and sent to competent authorities, so the construction work should start soon. Reactions as always will be present, but everything is ready to start the construction work. We hope there will be no problems, because the location is determined by the state,” Veliu told SETimes.

Meanwhile, multi-ethnic co-existence in Lazec has significantly diminished. Both communities cut contact with each other — even in everyday needs. The village now has two shops, one so-called Macedonian, the other Albanian.

“The mosque … started damaging interethnic relations in Lazec six years ago …. Now everyone abides by the rule that everyone shops in their own store, even for bread. … The residents of Lazani blame politics for the situation,” Orthodox priest Father Oliver told SETimes.

“It’s nice to have a religious object in this village, no matter where the location because we will have a place in the village to pray and to bury our dead. Until now we were going to the village Kisava, 5km away,” Lirim Rusidoski, an Albanian Lazec villager, told SETimes.

Macedonian residents of Lazec say that they will either move out of the village and leave everything behind, or go abroad.

Vasco Despotovski, a village resident, said that half the village is already planning to emigrate.

“Another family left the village two days ago. We knew the family and we lived [side by side], but because of the mosque dispute they left. The pressure is huge,” Despotovski told SETimes.

http://www.eurasiareview.com/11062012-macedonia-new-mosque-causes-ethnic-rift-in-southwest/

Vojnik
06-12-2012, 07:29 AM
This issue that has been ongoing for a long time now is devastating to me on a personal level because for the fact that Lazec is the birthplace of my Grandafther, his son and his brothers and sisters. My Grandfather says that Lazec was once a village populated with a strong majority Macedonian population with only a couple of Turkish families. Lazec was once home to 1000+ Macedonians! And then during the 50's and 60's the Macedonian population drastically fell when people started immigrating to countries like The US, Canada and Australia in search for a better life. Now, how and when the ethnic Albanians started populating Lazec, I don't know.

Now in regards to the building of the Mosque. It is my understanding that the local Albanian Muslims wish to build a Mosque on top of the area which once stood a Orthodox Christian church, which was later destroyed by Ottoman Turks. That is why the local Macedonians object to the planed Construction. The Macedonians of Lazec have no issue with a construction, as long as it is not at the entrance or centre of the Village (sred selo). They have no problem with it being on the outskirts of the Village.

Lazec has always been a Macedonian Slavic, Orthodox Christian Village and it should remain that way.

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 07:38 AM
like it is important where the mosque is build as long as it is build..so silly

Vojnik
06-12-2012, 07:42 AM
like it is important where the mosque is build as long as it is build..so silly

If it is truly for religious purposes, then the local Albanian Muslims should not care which location of the Village it is built. They should show some respect to the local Macedonians and to it's history as a Orthodox Christian Village.

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I don't understand. Why can't the Mosque be built in it's original location? Why not just find an empty spot in the village that is close to the Albanian community in the village and build it there?

Rastko
06-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Albos = "apatheist".

In a parallel universe.

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't understand. Why can't the Mosque be built in it's original location? Why not just find an empty spot in the village that is close to the Albanian community in the village and build it there?

They are same like serbs

In my town they want te build a church next to a muslim war cemetery..there are no serb families there,,,and yet they want the church there and not among the serbs.So the bosniaks there wont allow it

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 09:41 AM
They are same like serbs

In my town they want te build a church next to a muslim war cemetery..there are no serb families there,,,and yet they want the church there and not among the serbs.So the bosniaks there wont allow it

How big is the town, and is it clearly divided (ethnic based communities), or do Bosniaks and Serbs live together?

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 09:42 AM
How big is the town, and is it clearly divided (ethnic based communities), or do Bosniaks and Serbs live together?

the village they want to build in is muslim

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 09:43 AM
the village they want to build in is muslim

There are no Serbs in the village?

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 09:45 AM
There are no Serbs in the village?

i have no idea,all i know is it is majority bosniak(over 90%) and the serbian community/village exists there too,so they should buld their church in their place

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 09:52 AM
i have no idea,all i know is it is majority bosniak(over 90%) and the serbian community/village exists there too,so they should buld their church in their place

Well, they probably can't. If the proposed location is close to them, then that should be fine.

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Well, they probably can't. If the proposed location is close to them, then that should be fine.

It is not fine to the Bosniaks there,because it is "central" and next to the cemetery(jusl like in this macedonian village)

Vojnik
06-12-2012, 09:55 AM

As I have said, the outskirts of the Village would be fine, not the centre of the village where once stood a church that was demolished by the Ottomans. Do you see the evil symbolism in that?

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 09:56 AM
It is not fine to the Bosniaks there,because it is "central" and next to the cemetery(jusl like in this macedonian village)

What does one have to do with the other? The war memorial is a secular site commemorating the Bosnian War, whereas the Church is a religious building that serves Serbs their religious needs.

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 09:57 AM
As I have said, the outskirts of the Village would be fine, not the centre of the village where once stood a church that was demolished by the Ottomans. Do you see the evil symbolism in that?

There isn't a spot anywhere inside the village?

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 09:58 AM
What does one have to do with the other? The war memorial is a secular site commemorating the Bosnian War, whereas the Church is a religious building that serves Serbs their religious needs.

war memorial is not secular it is islamic,everyone buried there is muslim

and why all of sudden changed views,you supported the macedonians in their protests? :D

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Yeah well not nice if there was a church there once...i can understand that...but th mosque should be close to its believers ,so where the albanians live the mosque should be there

Vojnik
06-12-2012, 10:01 AM
There isn't a spot anywhere inside the village?

It would just be more respectful to have the Mosque distanced from very significant areas of the Village. So again, the outskirts. The Village is only small anyway, so the outskirts are in walking distance for the local Muslims.

Sultan Suleiman
06-12-2012, 10:03 AM

and why all of sudden changed views,you supported the macedonians in their protests? :D

Dingoo man is refugee from V. Kladuša :)

That should tell you a lot. :rolleyes:

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 10:04 AM

That doesn't make it Islamic. There's a war memorial for Vietnam veterans in my town in Australia and all the names on the memorial belong to Christians, but that doesn't make it Christian.

The orthodox religion isn't responsible for the deaths of those Bosniaks. It's like the "mosque" in New York. You can't blame the religion, only the people.

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 10:06 AM
That doesn't make it Islamic. There's a war memorial for Vietnam veterans in my town in Australia and all the names on the memorial belong to Christians, but that doesn't make it Christian.

it is build in an islamic way,verses from Koran etc :D

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Dingoo man is refuge from V. Kladuša :)

Babo Fikret heroj! Izetbegović šejtan! :D

Sultan Suleiman
06-12-2012, 10:07 AM

The orthodox religion isn't responsible for the deaths of those Bosniaks. It's like the "mosque" in New York. You can't blame the religion, only the people.

Oh poor naive dingoo man...

You have so much to learn about the Balkan :rolleyes: :coffee:

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
it is build in an islamic way,verses from Koran etc :D

Kuranic verses at a war memorial? Is it written on their graves, or on some structure that says it's a war memorial?

Sultan Suleiman
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Kuranic verses at a war memorial? Is it written on their graves, or on some structure that says it's a war memorial?

On the memorial :thumb001:

She posted that pic.

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
You have so much to learn about the Balkan :rolleyes: :coffee:

All I need to know is that people will make a big deal out of nothing just to bring back the tensions of war-time Bosnia. ;)

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 10:10 AM
On the memorial :thumb001:

She posted that pic.

I haven't seen any picture. :confused:

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 10:10 AM

at the memorial

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Babo Fikret heroj! Izetbegović šejtan! :D

enough said :D:D:D

Sultan Suleiman
06-12-2012, 10:11 AM
All I need to know is that people will make a big deal out of nothing just to bring back the tensions of war-time Bosnia. ;)

You really have no idea how things work 'round here :rolleyes:

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 10:12 AM
at the memorial

In Arabic?

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
In Arabic?

both arabic and bosnian

are you CIA or something?:D

Sultan Suleiman
In Arabic?

Bosnian :)

Methmatician
You really have no idea how things work 'round here :rolleyes:

Why so negative, be more like Mujo :D

Journalists ask Mujo what he thinks about the big cross that the Croats constructed on the Hum hill above Mostar. Mujo says, “I think it is a big plus for Bosnia and Herzegovina.”

Sultan Suleiman
I see our friend from Dubrovnik following this thread :D

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Why so negative, be more like Mujo :D

Journalists ask Mujo what he thinks about the big cross that the Croats constructed on the Hum hill above Mostar. Mujo says, “I think it is a big plus for Bosnia and Herzegovina.”

obviously you have no idea about anything

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
both arabic and bosnian

are you CIA or something?:D

Man that's depressing. Bosnia is turning into the middle-east :D

I remember seeing a picture of an etno village and it was in Arabic, a little piece of me died inside.

Methmatician
06-12-2012, 10:16 AM
obviously you have no idea about anything

I don't know how your mind works, but I can already tell you it's not against the law to build the church there. But if the majority of the citizens don't want it there, then it shouldn't be there. What I'm trying to say is, you shouldn't associate a church with murder, the religion is older than the war.

Aces High
06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
They should let them build it where they want...but at the same time grant planning permission for a pig farm next door...........to help feed the poor of the parish.

Then lets see who are the intolerant ones...;)

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
They should let them build it where they want...but at the same time grant planning permission for a pig farm next door...........to help feed the poor of the parish.

pig farm is okay,,,we dont eat pigs meat,the animal is ok ;)

Aces High
06-12-2012, 10:50 AM
a pig farm with a fast food joint at the front.

"Trotters" it should be called.

Hurrem sultana
06-12-2012, 10:51 AM
a pig farm with a fast food joint at the front.

"Trotters" it should be called.

we also do not care what others will eat as long as we are not forced to eat it ;)

bon apetit

Sultan Suleiman
06-12-2012, 11:28 AM

I don't know how they do things in London, but in Bosnia food production areas are quite a distance away from the religious, memorial and cultural centers. Just sayin' :coffee:

Mraz
06-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Reminds me the mosque in my town, they rebuilt it just in front of the orthodox church and have given it a second minaret to show Bosniak domination over the city. I think symbols are very important for Balkanians.

Grizzly
06-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Balkan people can be such peasants... There is an abundance of Mosques and Churches in Macedonia and that money should be invested elsewhere..

Religion is only going to destabilize the country even further.

iNird
06-15-2012, 02:34 AM
There was a comment in SEtimes that I agree with 100%

The area is quite poor. People from Llazhec have not left due to the Mosque, but because of a lack of economic opportunity. For example a nearby village of Dragosh which neighbours the Albanian village of Këshavë have all left except for a few elderly people. Although what is important is that the Mosque is not being built for religious purposes. The Albanians in the area are not that religious. This Mosque is more of a symbolic tit for tat cutural(the mosque is being built at the entrance of the village!) war being waged by the two ethnic groups. I say this because Macedonians have erected thier Christian symbols all over the place after the conflict of 2001. For example in the neighbouring region of Prespa, the village of Podmoçan has built a huge replica of the Millenium cross toward the northern confines of the village which has been made to face the Albanian majority village of Gërçar so to be reminded as to who is in control. Now all this business of crosses and mosques needs to stop. The villages need to formulate plans as to enpower thier villages once agian. All ethnic communites need to talk to each other. Relying upon corrupt governments across the Balkans to be job creators wont help. Sometimes one has to take the iniative themselves. Most of these villages are agricultural and built on fertile land. Pooling in thier resources and establishing say co-operatives or looking to plant new cash crops may be the way of the future. However such idiocy will only lead to more stupidity. All the money wasted on building Churches, Mosques and other relgious apparelia could be directed in a collective and private iniative of the villages to reparing thier roads and other needed ammenities. Think wide, Think bold, Think smart ! Or the reality will be Greece !

Arne
06-15-2012, 02:36 AM
There´s never a need for the Mosquee..
Easier it is to take simply the Alboz out of great Makedonia.

iNird
06-15-2012, 02:40 AM
There´s never a need for the Mosquee..
Easier it is to take simply the Alboz out of great Makedonia.

Right good luck deporting 500k+ Albanians. I hope you have room in Germany because these people will migrate to the West if they are deported.

;)

Arne
06-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Right good luck deporting 500k+ Albanians. I hope you have room in Germany because these people will migrate to the West if they are deported.

;)
Only if they are gonna convert..
There´s enough place left in Russia..

The Journeyman
06-15-2012, 02:43 AM
Third world mosquitos...

iNird
06-15-2012, 02:51 AM

Siberia for Serbians

We will go to Deutschland and take ur wimmenz. We took over mini Deutschland (Switzerland), Germany is next.

Arne
06-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Siberia for Serbians

We will go to Deutschland and take ur wimmenz. We took over mini Deutschland (Switzerland), Germany is next.

We already gassed Jews..
What will you guess what will be next ? ;)

iNird
06-15-2012, 02:56 AM
We already gassed Jews..
What will you guess what will be next ? ;)

Dude you look like a Jew. You should be happy you weren't alive during that time.

:D

Crn Volk
06-15-2012, 03:11 AM
Siberia for Serbians

Yes please :wink

iNird
06-15-2012, 03:17 AM
Yes please :wink

Yes then we will come back with our benz's, buy back our property and then you will scream "the siptars are ethnically cleansing us macedons!"

Crn Volk
06-15-2012, 03:21 AM
Yes then we will come back with our benz's, buy back our property and then you will scream "the siptars are ethnically cleansing us macedons!"

'your property'? your property is in albania. be happy you have a state of your own already.

iNird
06-15-2012, 03:23 AM
'your property'? your property is in albania. be happy you have a state of your own already.

Ye our property. We have 2 states, another one to come.

:wink

edit:

well by then it will be all one state (Albania)

Crn Volk
06-15-2012, 03:25 AM
Ye our property. We have 2 states, another one to come.

:wink

edit:

well by then it will be all one state (Albania)

only in your dreams

btw: you have one state. Kosovo remains a Serbian province. Let me know when it's a UN member state and we can talk about two states.....

iNird
06-15-2012, 03:28 AM
only in your dreams

Well I'll say this, there's a better chance of my prediction coming true than Macedonia deporting Albanian from Macedonia.

Tell your cousins to brush up on their Siptar brah.... cuz they're going to need it to get by (some of your kind even speak it.)

Pigeon that goes out to you as well. You should learn Albanski unless you plan to leave for Slovakia :P

Crn Volk
06-15-2012, 03:33 AM
Well I'll say this, there's a better chance of my prediction coming true than Macedonia deporting Albanian from Macedonia.

Tell your cousins to brush up on their Siptar brah.... cuz they're going to need it to get by (some of your kind even speak it.)

Pigeon that goes out to you as well. You should learn Albanski unless you plan to leave for Slovakia :P

There is a greater chance of Georgi Efremov's plan coming to fruition, then yours.

http://iwpr.net/report-news/storm-over-macedonia-partition-plan

iNird
06-15-2012, 03:37 AM
There is a greater chance of Georgi Efremov's plan coming to fruition, then yours.

http://iwpr.net/report-news/storm-over-macedonia-partition-plan

It would have a good chance if there was a real Slavo-Macedonian minority in Albania......

:coffee:

Crn Volk
06-15-2012, 03:48 AM
It would have a good chance if there was a real Slavo-Macedonian minority in Albania......

:coffee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonians_of_Albania

Hurrem sultana
06-15-2012, 10:32 AM

they can move back to Caucasus to their brothers chechens etc:D