PDA

View Full Version : Dispelling the "Albanians Are Criminals" Myth in Macedonia

iNird
06-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Macedonians continually find ways to dehumanize us Albanians in Macedonian by perpetuating unbased stereotypes upon our kind. A common stereotype held by many Macedonians is that "Albanians are criminals." Macedonians claim Albanians are "gangsters" and have accumulated their wealth due to crime, among all sorts of baseless claims revolving crime. In this thread I will post official government crime statistics based on ethnicity showing that Albanians are representative to the amount of crime in Macedonia relative to their population size in Macedonia. The link to the crime statistics can be found here:

http://www.stat.gov.mk/PrikaziPoslednaPublikacija_en.aspx?id=43

First let's start off wit some statistics of the 2002 Census:

TOTAL = 2,022,547
Macedonians: 1,297,981 (64.17%)
Albanians: 509,083 (25.17%)
Turks: 77,959 (3.85%)
Roma: 53,879 (2.66%)
Serbs: 35,939 (1.78%)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_the_Republic_of_Macedonia

Albanians make up roughly 25% of Macedonia.

The publication by the Macedonian gov't presents statistical data on reported, accused and convicted adult and juvenile perpetrators of crimes for 2010.

Below are the results:

REPORTED ADULT PERPETRATORS BY TYPES OF CRIMINAL OFFENCES AND ETHNIC AFFILIATION

Ethnicity Number of Incidents %
Total 15,383
Macedonian 9,457 61%
Albanian 3,406 22%
Turks 373 2%
Roma 1,527 10%

CONVICTED ADULT PERPETRATORS BY TYPES OF CRIMINAL OFFENCES AND ETHNIC AFFILIATION

Ethnicity Number of Convicted Perpetrators %
Total 9,169
Macedonian 5,477 60%
Albanian 1,908 21%
Turks 293 3%
Roma 926 10%

REPORTED JUVENILES BY TYPES OF CRIMINAL OFFENCES, GENDER AND ETHNIC AFFILIATION

Ethnicity Number of Juveniles %
Total 1,244
Macedonian 522 41.96%
Albanian 287 23.07%
Turks 67 5.39%
Roma 335 26.93%

CONVICTED JUVENILES BY TYPE OF CRIMINAL OFFENCES AND ETHNIC AFFILIATION

Ethnicity Number of Convicted %
Total 547
Macedonian 324 59%
Albanian 67 12%
Turks 39 7%
Roma 102 19%

Sorry for the layout, I did the best I can transfering the data from excel to the forum.

Bottom line:

Albanians are representative in crime relative to their population size. Albanians make up roughly around 25% of the population in 2002 (this % could even be higher for 2010) and they are reported and convicted of crimes at a much lower %. It appears Albanians commit around the same amount of crime as their Macedonian counterparts (of course relative to their population size.)

:coffee:

Crn Volk
06-14-2012, 03:07 AM
It is not a Macedonian stereotype. All of Europe views you as criminal gangsters.

poiuytrewq0987
Go back to Albania.

iNird
It is not a Macedonian stereotype. All of Europe views you as criminal gangsters.

Statistics say otherwise.

poiuytrewq0987
06-14-2012, 03:08 AM

True. My favorite movie

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2lClbl0rmRg/T7lkLShcIuI/AAAAAAAABiA/Rft5Ay-J5JY/s1600/taken_Movie_Poster.jpg

Crn Volk
06-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Just a couple of sources;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_mafia

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2012/01/15/albanian-crime-gangs-top-list-of-most-feared-foreign-gangsters/

just google 'albanian crime' and you'll see many more....:coffee:

Crn Volk
06-14-2012, 03:12 AM
True. My favorite movie

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2lClbl0rmRg/T7lkLShcIuI/AAAAAAAABiA/Rft5Ay-J5JY/s1600/taken_Movie_Poster.jpg

Agree. Great movie.

iNird
06-14-2012, 03:16 AM
Just a couple of sources;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_mafia

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2012/01/15/albanian-crime-gangs-top-list-of-most-feared-foreign-gangsters/

just google 'albanian crime' and you'll see many more....:coffee:

Cool story bro. Here's a video of a drug problem in Veles (a predominately Macedonian municipality: )

RdQrZ1SPlmk

And there's many more....

There's organized crime by all nationalities, hell most of these Balkan governments are probably run by these same organized criminals. The point of the thread was to show that Albanians, on average, are no more or less to be criminals in Macedonia compared to Slavo-Macedonians. You know using facts and figures, not some Jewish Hollywood movie.

Crn Volk
06-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Cool story bro. Here's a video of a drug problem in Veles (a predominately Macedonian municipality: )

RdQrZ1SPlmk

And there's many more....

There's organized crime by all nationalities, hell most of these Balkan governments are probably run by these same organized criminals. The point of the thread was to show that Albanians, on average, are no more or less to be criminals in Macedonia compared to Slavo-Macedonians. You know using facts and figures, not some Jewish Hollywood movie.

My point is you may be correct, but in Europe and the US, it is Albanians that are perceived as criminals, not Macedonians. You should try and convince the West that they are wrong :lightbul:

iNird
06-14-2012, 03:21 AM
My point is you may be correct, but in Europe and the US, it is Albanians that are perceived as criminals, not Macedonians. You should try and convince the West that they are wrong :lightbul:

Americans have no idea who Albanians are. As for Europe, there is crime statistics posted in Switzerland and Greece that I have partaken on the forum. The results showed pretty much the same thing.

Crn Volk
06-14-2012, 03:25 AM
Americans have no idea who Albanians are. As for Europe, there is crime statistics posted in Switzerland and Greece that I have partaken on the forum. The results showed pretty much the same thing.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/culture/2011/03/1571454/introduction-new-york-albanian-mob?page=all

There's tones of this stuff. You really shouldn't have opened such a thread. You'll only get hurt.

iNird
06-14-2012, 03:33 AM
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/culture/2011/03/1571454/introduction-new-york-albanian-mob?page=all

There's tones of this stuff. You really shouldn't have opened such a thread. You'll only get hurt.

Like I said there are criminal activities of all nationalities. A simple google search will find articles from all backgrounds (like the one you just did.) The point of the thread is to dispel these myths in Macedonia and to use facts that Albanians are not any more or less criminally motivated than Slavo-Macedonians in Macedonia.

The perpetuation such myths have an impact on society. For example not prosecuting the Slavo-Macedonian policeman that shot the 2 Albanians because those 2 Albanians were "drug dealers." Macedonians are able to forego the justice system by perpetuating the Albanian victims are "criminals."

:rolleyes:

Crn Volk
06-14-2012, 03:38 AM
Like I said there are criminal activities of all nationalities. A simple google search will find articles from all backgrounds (like the one you just did.) The point of the thread is to dispel these myths in Macedonia and to use facts that Albanians are not any more or less criminally motivated than Slavo-Macedonians in Macedonia.

The perpetuation such myths have an impact on society. For example not prosecuting the Slavo-Macedonian policeman that shot the 2 Albanians because those 2 Albanians were "drug dealers." Macedonians are able to forego the justice system by perpetuating the Albanian victims are "criminals."

:rolleyes:

The justice system in Macedonia is not the best, that's true. But Albanians attacking a policeman? C'mon, you'd get shit-canned anywhere in the world for attacking police. Let's not get all high and mighty here. Albanians are not always innocent, despite what your media tells you.

iNird
06-14-2012, 03:47 AM
The justice system in Macedonia is not the best, that's true. But Albanians attacking a policeman? C'mon, you'd get shit-canned anywhere in the world for attacking police. Let's not get all high and mighty here. Albanians are not always innocent, despite what your media tells you.

Ok, I agree with the first part but we don't really know what happened without a court case, do we? If the court found the Albanians attacked the policeman and the daughter was indeed in the car then it is understandable. But there is an Albanian witness that said otherwise. If the police officer and the 2 Albos were having some verbal dispute and he shot them, well that's a different story. You wouldn't be singing the same tune.

That is why a court hearing is needed to settle or atleast try to settle the story. Instead the government can label these two Albanians criminals and forego any sort of investigation. Which goes back to original post...

Crn Volk
06-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Ok, I agree with the first part but we don't really know what happened without a court case, do we? If the court found the Albanians attacked the policeman and the daughter was indeed in the car then it is understandable. But there is an Albanian witness that said otherwise. If the police officer and the 2 Albos were having some verbal dispute and he shot them, well that's a different story. You wouldn't be singing the same tune.

That is why a court hearing is needed to settle or atleast try to settle the story. Instead the government can label these two Albanians criminals and forego any sort of investigation. Which goes back to original post...

Agree. You and I live in modern western democracies where the rule of law is king. Our homeland, and the neighbouring states have a long way to go before reaching acceptable levels of law and order, amongst many things. I hope things will improve soon.

Ivo Arandur
06-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Well tbh I don't think most people in the West (especially west of the Atlantic) can really tell us apart - for them we (Albanians, Macedonians, Bulgarians, Serbs etc.) are all just people from the Balkans :rolleyes: and like it or not, the Balkans as a whole don't have a particularly good reputation in the West...but yes - the Albanian mafia is quite infamous indeed...which doesn't mean that Albanians in general are more prone to criminal activities - all it means is that the Albanian criminals have made a name for themselves...then again it's only normal that poorer countries will have higher crime rate and until recently Albania was one of the poorest countries in Europe - however, I hear they've been doing pretty well recently and their economy is growing quite fast...