PDA

View Full Version : New Zealands Drinking Culture

Rainraven
06-08-2009, 06:13 AM
I think this article points out the shocking state of New Zealand's drinking culture.

Boy in coma after drinking litre of spirits

A 13-year-old boy is recovering in hospital after downing a one-litre bottle of spirits in 30 minutes at a sports training camp.

The boy was found in an alcohol-induced coma while at a New Zealand Snowsports junior training camp in Wanaka on Saturday night.

In what is believed to be a peer-pressure drinking incident, the boy consumed a one-litre bottle of 35 percent proof Jagermeister in about half an hour, the Otago Daily Times reported.

The amount is equivalent to 28 standard drinks.

Wanaka police were investigating an alleged theft of a bottle of alcohol from the bar of a backpackers by a 15-year-old boy.

Constable Greg Nolet said reports from other camp participants indicated the boy had drunk the allegedly stolen bottle of spirits after it was produced by another boy.

People "at some stage" needed to be held responsible for the consequences of "peer pressure", Mr Nolet said.

The boy was being brought out of a coma in Dunedin hospital and was in a stable condition.

Source (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2481393/Boy-in-coma-after-drinking-litre-of-spirits)

The only thing I can see at fault here is a real lack of education. In New Zealand drinking is seen as an almost taboo subject. It seems that the majority of parents (and media) treat drinking as 'bad'. There is now a large initiation by fire of drunken teenagers that don't know what effect alcohol is going to have on them and what is safe or not :mad:

Bloodeagle
06-08-2009, 06:21 AM
This sounds like an article from any Western countries paper. Talking about the problem is the first step in accepting that there is a problem.

The boy was found in an alcohol-induced coma while at a New Zealand Snowsports junior training camp in Wanaka on Saturday night.

This would have to be one of the most horrible and helpless ways to go.:eek:
I've been there and done that, minus the coma part!

Rainraven
06-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Seems I was wrong, it's not an age thing! :eek:

Dead man was gagged in drinking session

The death of a Motueka man found with duct tape wrapped across his mouth is being treated as suspicious, although police do not think it was a malicious act.

Michael James McGrath, 51, a sickness beneficiary, was found dead at a Motueka house, 55km northwest of Nelson, about 7.30pm yesterday.

Detective Sergeant Kevin Tiernan said Mr McGrath had had his mouth taped shut by flatmates during a drinking session.

A scene examination and an autopsy were carried out today.

Mr Tiernan said the autopsy was complete but he had not been briefed on it.

"It's not going to change what we're saying at the moment, that we're still treating it as suspicious, we've really got to complete the inquiry and to determine where we go."

The dead man lived in Motueka and was drinking alcohol with his flatmates.

"One of the flatmates put tape across the deceased's mouth but we don't know if this played a part in his death. That's to be determined by the coroner," he said.

The flat occupants had started drinking in the afternoon and had been "horsing around" when they noticed Mr McGrath had stopped breathing.

Mr Tiernan said that what was done was not "malicious violence. . .it was done as the guys were horsing around.

"It was a consensual act and they've put the tape around this guy's mouth and potentially, as a result of that – it's yet to be confirmed – he's died."

Mr Tiernan said the death was "definitely suspicious, hence our investigation".

Police were taking a cautious approach by referring the death to the coroner, he said.

All this in one day :coffee:

SwordoftheVistula
06-08-2009, 07:00 AM
I don't know what you can do, other than have parents and other adults supervising the kids keep a closer watch on them and make sure they don't have access to alcohol. With adults, I guess it's just Darwin Awards.

Michael James McGrath, 51, a sickness beneficiary

Is that someone who receives a benefits check from the government after being judged 'unable to work'? I think I know the type.

Rainraven
06-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Is that someone who receives a benefits check from the government after being judged 'unable to work'? I think I know the type.

Oh yes, 'unable to get off their lazy asses and get a job' due to some ridiculous 'illness' :mad: