PDA

View Full Version : Nick Griffin Pelted With Eggs

Loyalist
06-09-2009, 03:18 PM
BNP leader Nick Griffin has been pelted with eggs and forced to abandon a press conference outside Parliament.

Dozens of protesters disrupted the event, which follows the British National Party winning its first two seats in the European Parliament.

Chanting anti-Nazi slogans and holding placards they surrounded Mr Griffin as he was bundled into a car.

Mr Griffin was elected for the North West region - a result condemned by parties across the political spectrum.

Mr Griffin and Andrew Brons, who was elected in the Yorkshire and Humber region, staged a press conference on College Green, opposite the Houses of Parliament.

The BNP leader began the event by holding up copies of national newspapers and talking about what he said were media lies about him and his party.

He denied he had past links with Oswald Mosley, as the former fascist leader "was very hostile to the National Front from which I am from".

He had been speaking for about two minutes when about 50 to 100 protesters marched towards him chanting slogans and throwing eggs.

There was a brief scuffle as Mr Griffin was jostled by protesters - and a scrum of cameramen - before the BNP leader was bundled into the back seat of a waiting car by his security men.

A tourist who was caught up in the melee was taken to hospital, after suffering an injured leg.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "We are aware of the incident and will pursue charges if a complaint is made."

Members of Unite Against Fascism, which was behind the demo with trade union members, said they wanted to "defend democracy" against what they regard as the "fascist" and "racist" policies of the BNP.

One told the crowd his message for Mr Griffin was: "Wherever you go in this country we will make sure you are welcomed by demonstrations."

Speaking to BBC News afterwards Mr Griffin alleged that the three main political parties were trying to prevent the BNP getting its message across by colluding with protesters who he said were mainly left-wing students.

"It's a very, very sad day for British democracy," he said.

"People should be entitled to hear what we have to say and to hear journalists question us robustly."

He described protesters as an "organised mob that's backed by all three main parties to stop us getting our message across to the public" and added: "It does not represent ordinary people."

He said he suffered only a "glancing splattering" with egg but a television cameraman was hit full in the face. (Continues)

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8091605.stm)

Loki
06-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Wonder who the fascists are now ...

Loyalist
06-09-2009, 03:33 PM
The video included in the article clearly shows the faces of the individuals throwing eggs, as well as those of others assaulting Griffin and his entourage, and the ones vandalising his car. It's going to be interesting to see if charges will be laid, considering that identification will be no problem in this case.

Beorn
06-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Happily clapping away when the two BNP MEPs have had to retreat. As if acting like strung out children will deter the BNP.

I'm starting to like the idea of a pro-BNP, anti-"Anti-fascist" military wing.
I for one would love to see the look on those who consort in such circles of undemocratic displays as a heavy mob descend upon them to protect free speech.

Fortis in Arduis
06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I for one would love to see the look on those who consort in such circles of undemocratic displays as a heavy mob descend upon them to protect free speech.

The press would twist it would they not?

Beorn
06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
The press would twist it would they not?

They certainly would! But then, everything connected with the BNP is.

Mind you, the BNP should not need any outside force as that is the job of the police.

Phlegethon
06-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Is fascism on the march again?

Does the election of two BNP MEPs and the success of the far right elsewhere in Europe mean we are facing the threat of fascism? Or is this just a protest vote that will quickly fade? Leading historians give their verdicts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jun/09/bnp-fascism-meps-far-right

You couldn't make this up!

Loki
06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Does the election of two BNP MEPs and the success of the far right elsewhere in Europe mean we are facing the threat of fascism?

We're not facing a threat of fascism, we're already living under it with the EUSSR.

Phlegethon
06-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I could live with the threat of fascism as I exclusively wear black clothes anyway. I could be duce! ;)

The Lawspeaker
06-09-2009, 11:14 PM
I could live with the threat of fascism as I exclusively wear black clothes anyway. I could be duce! ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Sudeten_German_women_welcome_Hitler.gif
Heil Phleg !

Phlegethon
06-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Wow, once again I get all the gals! ;)

Spaniard_Truth
06-10-2009, 11:07 AM
This is 'democracy'. The people's choices are respected so long as they make all the 'right' choices. The truth is modern democracy was never meant to be an expression of the people's will. It was supposed to be a guardian of the status quo, an intellectual prison with the illusion of an exit route. The powers feel safe no one would venture toward that exit, but if they should, the gate would immediately slam shut and the archers would ready their arrows.

While the BNP is firmly 'within the box' politically, they're still a little too subversive for the system's liking, and hence the full force of propaganda comes crashing down on them.

All these these leftist and self-proclaimed radical protesters are doing is mirroring the State's imperative to maintain the status quo. The anger they feel at the threat of subversion was instilled in them by the media, the education system etc. and the sad thing is, these people are proud of being pawns of the State.

We should expect the BNP to receive the same mainstream treatment as Le Pen: When their popularity crosses a certain boundary, democracy is suspended for a brief time until all 'threats to freedom' are annihilated and 'freedom' and 'choice' can resume.

Vulpix
06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
^ Don't forget how the EU reacted to Haider's democratic landslide victory in Austria back in 2000.

Beorn
06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Police let mob run wild, says BNP leader
(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/police-let-mob-run-wild-says-bnp-leader-1701778.html)

BNP leader Nick Griffin urged the police to "get a grip" of protesters who forced the party's MEPs to abandon their first joint press conference yesterday.
The British National Party leader spoke out after being besieged by around 40 protesters when he held a press conference in a Manchester pub today.
Mr Griffin, who along with Andrew Brons was elected as an MEP, said: "There wasn't a huge police presence yesterday. The police let the mob run wild.
"I think it's very sad that a hostile mob which is partly paid for by taxpayers and backed by Labour and the Conservatives is allowed to get away with mob violence on the streets of Britain in 2009.
"I've got to go and visit constituents in places like Preston and Andrew Brons has to go to places like Bradford. The police need to get a grip on these people and stop them throwing eggs and bricks.
"Like us or not we are a democratic party elected by people who have specific concerns they think we will address properly."

Mr Griffin was pelted with eggs on College Green in Westminster yesterday after being targeted by protesters.
Today he posed for photographers in the bar of the Ace of Diamonds pub with a box of eggs and sat on a bar stool reading the Daily Star, whose front page read "The Yolk's on You".
Mr Griffin said: "I want to get away from the publicity. It's been fun while it's lasted."

He said he wanted to represent constituents "regardless of their creed or colour" but added: "I would expect most ethnic minorities would go to the Labour Party, as it's the party for them."
Mr Griffin said the BNP was the persecuted party after Manchester City Council refused to allow them to hold a press conference in the town hall where he learned of his election to the European Parliament on Sunday night.

He said: "The mob outside are allowed to meet in Manchester Town Hall to plot violence against the BNP... If that's not persecution, pray tell me what is."
There was a heavy police presence and BNP security presence outside the BNP-supportive pub on Oldham Road, and reporters faced several demands for identification before being allowed inside.
Several newspapers, including the Manchester Evening News and The Sun, were banned from attending "because of the lies they have printed", Mr Griffin said. :thumb001:
Protesters chanted outside the pub and played Bob Marley songs while inside Mr Griffin sipped a half of bitter and spoke to the media.

sturmwalkure
06-10-2009, 04:02 PM
^ Don't forget how the EU reacted to Haider's democratic landslide victory in Austria back in 2000.

And the Cordon Sanitaire against the Vlaams Belang in Flanders (Belgium) :(

Treffie
06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Mr Griffin said the BNP was the persecuted party after Manchester City Council refused to allow them to hold a press conference in the town hall where he learned of his election to the European Parliament on Sunday night.

Does anyone know if there's any government or European legislation against this? I'm not worried that the BNP will suffer at the hands of `anti-fascists` - they can afford any lawyer that they can get their hands on now. ;)

British and Proud
06-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Happily clapping away when the two BNP MEPs have had to retreat. As if acting like strung out children will deter the BNP.

I too would love that. However, it is just what 'they' (the Establishment: politicians and media) want...then they can portray us as thugs.

The truth is we should milk these sorts of things and portray ourselves as victims, that will help us win votes. I do hope nobody connected with the BNP starts retaliating.

Cato
06-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8091605.stm)

Hooliganism, plain and simple. At the very least, these moronic agitators ought to be charged with disorderly conduct if the U.K. has such a crime. The BNP ought to hire private security to deter these kinds of outbursts since it's obvious that relying on the bobbies isn't going to work.

SwordoftheVistula
06-12-2009, 05:50 AM
The BNP used to fight with the reds, but quit because it would be shown on TV and people would think 'to hell with both of them', and the public would get the perception of a scrap between rival groups of extremist thugs. So they stopped with that and instead focused on making their 'opponents' out to be the Labour Party, and the other 'mainstream' parties in order that they would be recognized as a legitimate party competing with those other parties, which has worked to some extent.