PDA

View Full Version : Hippie history.

Jamt
06-09-2009, 03:35 PM
"Modern primitives, naturmensch, wandervogel, bohemians, reformers, wayfarers, and vagabonds are all expressions that evoke a tone of something wholly apart from the orthodox.

So why Germany? What was happening there in the 19th century that caused a phenomenon like this to erupt so big?

Germany had always made a virtue of their late submission to Latin civilization and had glorified the natural man and woman with all of their virtues and vices. Over 2000 years ago (about 51 B.C.) Julius Caesar noted of the Germans: "The only beings they recognize as gods are things that they can see, and by which they are obviously benefited, such as sun, moon and fire; the other gods they have never even heard of."

Read more, some great photos: http://www.hippy.com/php/article-243.html

Psychonaut
06-09-2009, 07:04 PM
There's also a great essay on the German roots of the early hippie movement by Gordon Kennedy called "Children of the Sonne," in the third volume of the journal TYR: Myth-Culture-Tradition.

Tabiti
06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Good cause, wrong people => wrong understanding => main idea corruption.

Like almost everything...

Psychonaut
06-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Good cause, wrong people => wrong understanding => main idea corruption.

Like almost everything...

I don't think I quite understand your flow chart. Could you expand a bit, please?

Tabiti
06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I don't think I quite understand your flow chart. Could you expand a bit, please?
I mean that hippie wave in 60's may had some good roots, but they become forgotten among all that amount of drugs, free love and multiculturalism.