PDA

View Full Version : Sandra Laing

rhiannon
06-21-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm watching a film about her now. What is everyone's opinion about the issues this girl dealt with? How common would it be for two Afrikaaners to marry and produce a child with her phenotype? Is it really true that most Afrikaaners have token black ancestry?

This is the opposite of the pattern here in the States....where most Blacks have token white ancestry.

I find the story very saddening.

aimar
06-21-2012, 12:54 PM
poor woman is all I have to say

Grumpy Cat
06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
She doesn't have black ancestry as far as I know. I hear she did have a DNA test but I can't find the article. It appears she has some rare genetic mutation.

Kazimiera
06-21-2012, 08:07 PM
She doesn't have black ancestry as far as I know. I hear she did have a DNA test but I can't find the article. It appears she has some rare genetic mutation.

Genetic mutation?? :lol00002:

It is not uncommon for Afrikaners to have asian or capoid genes. Do remember that before Apartheid there was no Apartheid for about 300 years. And way back in the 1600's it was not uncommon for Dutch men to marry their slaves.

The first Governor of the Cape Colony, Simon van der Stel, was the son of an official of the Dutch East India Company, Adriaan van der Stel, and Maria Lievens, who was the daughter of an Indian slave.

The town of Stellenbosch was named after Simon van der Stel. The Western Cape bears testiment to this man's influence. He was phenomenally wealthy. He bought 1900 acres of land, which became his Constantia Estate from which some world-renowned wines were produced. He also owned many other properties.

Look at Groot Constantia Wine Estate: http://www.grootconstantia.co.za/index.php?id=58

When Simon passed away a man named Oloff Bergh bought the land. His wife, Anna de Koningh, was a freed slave. When he died, he passed the entire wine estate to his wife. Anna was the daughter of a woman named Angela of Bengal, or also called Maai Ansiela.

Maai Ansiela (Anna's mother) was captured as a slave in North East India. Her owners took her to Holland. And through them she ended up in South Africa. She was one of the first slaves who ever came to the Cape, and was also owned by Jan van Riebeeck himself.

These are the well-documented antics of some of the most high-profile people in the Western Cape of the time and was not an isolated incident. There are thousands of people descended from these.

As Afrikaners are descended from these settlers (who were Dutch and from whom the Afrikaans language developed), there is almost undeniably non-white blood running in their veins. They will, of course, be the first to deny this.

So no, this woman is not a genetic mutation. She is just an example of when one parent's non-white gene's find the other parent's and produce a child with these characteristics.

Yip, most of them have the token non-white ancestry. And non-white does not mean negroid. Most of the wives were slaves from India and Malaysia. Other slaves were taken from the Khoi tribes. The negroid blacks had not arrived yet in that part of Africa when the settlers did. You will find Asian blood in them, and Khoi but I doubt there will be negroid.

Grumpy Cat
06-21-2012, 11:03 PM

It is not uncommon for Afrikaners to have asian or capoid genes. Do remember that before Apartheid there was no Apartheid for about 300 years. And way back in the 1600's it was not uncommon for Dutch men to marry their slaves.

This is what I read. I have been trying to find the article again. I am pretty sure she got a DNA test and this is what they found. I didn't know there were such mutations among humans, though. They are quite common among other animals, I have never heard of a human.

And yes, I am aware of the second part. This still wouldn't explain why she is so dark, though.

Kazimiera
06-22-2012, 11:48 AM
This is what I read. I have been trying to find the article again. I am pretty sure she got a DNA test and this is what they found. I didn't know there were such mutations among humans, though. They are quite common among other animals, I have never heard of a human.

And yes, I am aware of the second part. This still wouldn't explain why she is so dark, though.

Very easy actually. Non-white genes in both parents. As luck will have it both non-white genes meet up and voila. She definitely has Khoi genetics. It's a common look in South Africa in the Cape Coloured population.

Loki
06-29-2012, 07:51 AM

It is not uncommon for Afrikaners to have asian or capoid genes.

Not Capoid, Asian and/or African slave, going back since before 1700. Afrikaners from the Cape do have some capoid, though.

I myself score 1% asian, 1% african and 98% european.

Loki
06-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Very easy actually. Non-white genes in both parents. As luck will have it both non-white genes meet up and voila. She definitely has Khoi genetics. It's a common look in South Africa in the Cape Coloured population.

i don't have any capoid, my ancestors left the cape in the Great Trek.

My ancestry is very well documented.