PDA

View Full Version : Vacation - Croatia or Albania?

Rastko
06-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Rather easy one.

I would kindly ask users to refrain of voting for their own country.

German Knight
06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Where is Albania,somwhere on Caucassus?Anyway we are comming to Croatia.

poiuytrewq0987
06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Croatia, definitely. I want to visit Dubrovnik, Rijeka and Split. I have only been to Zagreb once and for a short time. Need to fix that. ;)

iNird
06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
LOL @ the butthurt Croat. Just a lil bit of trolling and he acts out like an emotional queer.

I chose Albania and I'm from FYROM. Will not vote tho.

:coffee:

Rastko
06-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm just intetested of Europeans opinion.

Archduke
06-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Regent, you were very confident that Croatia is better than Albania, why you make such a thread?

Rastko
06-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Regent, you were very confident that Croatia is better than Albania, why you make such a thread?

For lulz.

Ushtari
06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
albania is still unknown to Europeans, but once they visit the place croatia will score somwhere in the bottom.

Pallantides
06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Croatia

Dilberth
06-22-2012, 12:42 PM
albania is still unknown to Europeans

Makes sense,since their culture is not European

Rastko
06-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I chose Albania and I'm from FYROM.

http://www.index.hr/images2/posvjed_uhicenja6-040512_MajaZlatevska_Cropix_625.jpeg

poiuytrewq0987
06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
albania is still unknown to Europeans, but once they visit the place croatia will score somwhere in the bottom.

I travelled through Macedonia and Albania (the area around Pogradec and Lin) with my kids (then aged 4-12). I've also taken them through Lebanon and Syria. All on UK passports.

I would not describe any of these destinations as unsafe. I have to say, of all these destinations, Albania was the least fun. Our activities were constrained by language (I met very few Albanians who could manage English, French, German or Russian). The parts we saw (apparetly not the best bits) were poor verging on the squalid and we were constantly beseiged by shoeless child beggars. This contrasts with the kitsch displays of wealth from mafiosi types swaggering in their new mercedes with tinted windows. Albanian disregard for the environment, inlcuding pumping raw sewage into lake Ohrid and overfishing the endangered Ohrid trout (there's a strictly enforced fishing ban on the Macedonian side) and the omnipresent bunkers in border regions adds to the air of brooding menace. I was quite happy to leave Albania behind.

My kids did however take endless photos of cars, flats etc labelled "SHITET" (which means "for sale").

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1932617

Drawing-slim
06-22-2012, 12:47 PM

Actually he shouldn't be. Its pretty stupid if he or anyone else thought so.
Albania is much more interesting then croatia, in everyway. We get smart tourists not just some dumb tourist off a boat for a day..:D

Ushtari
06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
stop changing names dusan

Comte Arnau
06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Never been to any of the two, but I'd first visit Croatia, because I'd really like to see Dubrovnik and Rovinj one of these days.

iNird
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
I can also comment on those articles while claiming to be German.

In the same thread these are the following comments:

I went though Albania last year, and found it better than expected.

Berat was great. Sarandra was a normal Mediterranean holiday town. Tirana was rather bizarre, but it grew on me. In the north it was a bit freaky.........

I don't get it - there's real terrorism aimed at foreigners in Madrid, New York, London etc etc and people still think Albania is unsafe based on... what, 15-year old media reports of the unrest back then? There's nothing like that in Albania - and there's also much less chance of being pickpocketed in Tirana than in Prague or Amsterdam.
Kosovo is a really rewarding destination, especially Prizren, Gjakova, Decan in the west. Avoid Mitrovica in north Kosovo where there's been some political tension recently. In general, they love to see foreigners and you'll be welcomed like nowhere else in Europe. In summer when the diaspora comes home, it's one big party and plenty of English speakers will be interested to chat to you in cafes. Plus, no visas required and travel here is cheap. Macedonia's lakeside town Ohrid is marvellous and a short hop from the Albanian border.
Crazy traffic is a worry across the Balkan region, be careful if you're self-driving. Albania's foreign tourism had to come from level zero a few years ago and is still more for the slightly adventurous (though I'm not sure I'd call it rough) - and it's actually booming now. Many new hostels opened up the past year that are crammed full with western backpackers in summer, and I've heard of no incidents so far. My parents (62 and 65) spent a month touring Albania last year and loved it. Just go.

Albania is safe, probably much safer than the classic tourist destination that attract loads of criminals. Neither I nor my girlfirend felt unsafe anywere in Albania, day or night.

While some of the points Andrew mentions are true (disregard for enviroment, poverty), this is not what dominates my memories of Albania.

Actually, IMHO people are the most friendly in the whole of Europe and it's exactly the bit of travel roughness and lack of Western tourists that accounts for the fascination. And it's very cheap, too.

I almost had to force my girlfirend to go on this trip because she had the usual prejudices, and now we're planning to go again and visit the north in the near future.

I've been to Albania twice and would love to return. Although it is poor, and it sometimes feels like an out-of-place 3rd-World country within Europe, it is safe and a very interesting place to visit.
I would say the same about southern Kosovo.
No concerns at all with Macedonia.

Mass tourism has unfortunately already hit the coast at Durres, Velipoja, Shengjin and Saranda (low quality high rise apartment buildings, dirty beaches etc) but other many spots are lovely.

Douchean is a douche and is jelly that FYROMians would rather travel to Albania than visit the shitty Ohrid.

poiuytrewq0987
06-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Douchean is a douche and is jelly that FYROMians would rather travel to Albania than visit the shitty Ohrid.

Nah, Greeks stole all our best revenue-generating tourist land. :thumbs up

Panopticon
06-22-2012, 01:11 PM
In the same thread these are the following comments:

Indeed. I guess it's a Yugoslav trait to lie. That way they can feel better about living on territory that isn't theirs.

http://www.index.hr/images2/posvjed_uhicenja6-040512_MajaZlatevska_Cropix_625.jpeg

Sure, there were some Islamist flags here and there, but nowhere near the amount that sole picture implies. Selective representation; Yugoslavs have to retort to logical fallacies, lies, etc. because it's the only thing that supports them and their views.

Do you react this way every time Albanians cause you butthurt btw? You need to learn to accept the truth. It's hard if you're a Yugoslav, but it can be done; nothing is impossible.

lxPvdQVs8DY

b2B-0dvXxFw

J9_yZF_K3xI

Rastko
06-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Here's the whole gallery:
http://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/albanci-razbijali-prozore-na-vladinoj-zgradi-u-skopju-ja-sam-musliman-a-ne-terorist/614620.aspx

Highlight of meeting is: ''Islam will dominate the world.''

Mraz
06-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Hrvatska, but those 2 countries are differents so they both worth to be visited.

dralos
06-22-2012, 01:15 PM
didnt regent say last time that he had grown up or something i guess he lied:D

Rastko
06-22-2012, 01:16 PM
didnt regent say last time that he had grown up or something i guess he lied:D

Summer flick.

Panopticon
06-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Here's the whole gallery:
http://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/albanci-razbijali-prozore-na-vladinoj-zgradi-u-skopju-ja-sam-musliman-a-ne-terorist/614620.aspx

Highlight of meeting is: ''Islam will dominate the world.''

Photos can easily be manipulated. I have already shown videos of the demonstrations that prove you wrong. Videos are far more reliable.

Emotions are strong, however. And it's going to take time to heal those emotional wounds of yours, so I will leave you alone.

Just remember
zRIbf6JqkNc

iNird
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Funny, Albanians need to wear long beards and hold up saudi flags to be associated with arabs. Regent being his normal self on a typical day would be mistaken for one

:laugh:

The Lawspeaker
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
http://www.rovinj-croatia.net/wp-content/gallery/photos-croatia/croatia_vis_sandybeach.jpg

http://www.touristmaker.com/images/croatia/croatia-green-forest-and-waterfall.jpg

http://www.lagunabeachbikini.com/amazing-travel-photos/2012/Split-DiocletiansPalace-Jun2012/bin/images/large/DSC_3859.jpg

Croatia.

Rastko
06-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Funny, Albanians need to wear long beards and hold up saudi flags to be associated with arabs. Regent being his normal self on a typical day would be mistaken for one

:laugh:

Islam will dominate the world, brother,Allahu Ekber :thumb001:

Sturmgewehr
06-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Makes sense,since their culture is not European

Who the hell wants to visit Croatia when u have Turkey?

With the same Money u can stay in Turkey longer, they have way better service, way better weather, way better places to visit and way better hospitality, not to forget the food.

TALKING OUT OF EXPERIENCE and I have as well talked to many people who have been to both places.

I would personally not wanna go back to Croatia for Vacation nor to Albania, of course Croatia's tourism is way more developed than the Albanian one but in the end with the money u will visit Croatia and get to see ordinary boring stuff u could visit Egypt, Turkey, Greece or Italy.

Rastko
06-22-2012, 01:30 PM
I don't see Turkey in the poll.

Sturmgewehr
06-22-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't see Turkey in the poll.

SO WHAT ??? I gave my opinion, and I also don't see how it is important which country is worth visiting if u urself are a pathetic fuckwit who doesn't go out or has any money to travel in the first place (not that I travel too much, just to make a point, the term YOU is meant to extrapolate and doesn't necessarily refer to YOU).

Why would u limit a poll with only 2 countries, neither Croatia nor Albania are worth the money.

My next destination will surely be Italy or Germany even though Germany is boring I am still willing to go and watch Bayern Munchen live in Allianz Arena.

Archduke
06-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Albania:

http://albca.com/albania/images/vlore/vlore8.jpg

http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared//8/81/Beach2-180.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/11/24/f7/caption.jpg

http://98.130.171.46/images/Beach3.jpg

http://www.puretravel.com/uploadedresources/continents/subcontinents/countries/Beach%20Albania_20090309162828.jpg

Reminds me for Bulgaria...

Methmatician
06-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Croatia, but that's just because I've been there before and would be able to talk to the natives. I haven't been to Albania, but it looks nice, my only obstacle is the language and lack of knowledge of the country.

Drawing-slim
06-22-2012, 01:47 PM

Panopticon
06-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Croatia, but that's just because I've been there before and would be able to talk to the natives. I haven't been to Albania, but it looks nice, my only obstacle is the language and lack of knowledge of the country.

You need to go to the land of your ancestors though.

Grizzly
06-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Funny how the Croat bashes Albania.. As that would make him any more European in the eyes of Europe. He also seems to use childish insults to discredit Albanians and he also seems to ignore that Croats suffer from the same Balkan mentality as Albanians do.

Mesrine
06-23-2012, 03:42 AM
Croatia aka old Venetian eastern coastline and cities, of course

Dacul
06-23-2012, 03:47 AM
I would like to go to Croatia to see that national park - Plitvice - when I will have money for that.

Rastko
06-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Funny how the Croat bashes Albania.. As that would make him any more European in the eyes of Europe. He also seems to use childish insults to discredit Albanians and he also seems to ignore that Croats suffer from the same Balkan mentality as Albanians do.

Are you not entertained?

Onur
06-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Albania:

Reminds me for Bulgaria...
Both Albania and Croatia have coastlines to Adriatic sea and it sux comparing to mediterranean.

I saw the coasts of Croatia myself. It was rocky without natural sand, water was dirty and cold, the sea was sloppy as expected.

Bulgaria Varna coastline was much worse with typical Bulgarian shoddiness all around but they cant do much about it either because it`s Blacksea and Blacksea coasts sux for touristic, swimming purposes.

I mean, when you can have beautiful mediterranean coasts of Turkey, i see no reason for anyone to prefer Bulgaria, Albania or Croatia instead. If i compare the water quality, Turkey`s coasts are like mineral water from the top of Alps comparing to Blacksea or Adriatic, also it`s much warmer like 24-30 degrees celsius.

Rastko
06-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Average sea temperature is 25 during the summer.

You can find both rocky and sand beaches.

Eastern Adriatic sea is one of the cleanest on the Mediterranean because of the sea moving everything goes to Italy,not to mention it lacks planktones thus it is Crystal blue.

MandM
06-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I have been to turkey 2 times and never agian, people are rude, they try to drag u to there shop even when u say no, i have been thretend ones becaouse i didint whant to buy in one mans shop,its dirty, the service is bad the onely good thing about it that the wheater is 100% sunny, people talk almost onely abouy the beach, but thats not all at least not for me, all has to be good, beach, people, service, enviorment, prices,m but i will gladly pay litle more if i get very good food and service, and one cant say the other one is better everybody has there own taste and expectasions of one holyday, like i dont like turkey, but my aunt loves it everything is in the eye of the beholder, and for the record i have been onely in 4 and 5 star hotels, dont say this for braging or somthing just so people dont use the hotel as an exusse for my bad experience in turkey

Flintlocke
06-23-2012, 10:35 AM
In Albania most of the coastline is not developed. There is Durres-Golem and then the Riviera from Vlore southwards.

Durres is totally overrun by Kosovars, there are huge hotels everywhere and you can't find a place to sit on the beach. There are way too many bars, clubs, gambling dens. There are many easy chicks and if you want weed there are dealers everywhere.

From Vlore and southwards you'll find more place to stretch, there are small beaches that are isolated and you can be alone or with very few people. Nature is mostly untouched and with the exception of Drymades Beach there are very few bars and clubs. Also the area attracts foreign tourists, French and Italians mostly. The hotels are small two storie buldings and it's a more calm and natural experience. Generally avoid crowded places since the Albo katunars think it's cool to throw their garbage everywhere.

Flintlocke
06-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Also, in Albania do not buy foreign beers, because Albanian beers are cheaper hardly anyone buys foreign beers so the merchants keep the foreign beers in storage way beyond their expiration date. It may taste good but your stomach will complain afterwards. Albanian beers are very good and have a good amount of alcohol to get your kicks.

The seafood is EXCELLENT best I've ever eaten. Avoid the pork steak though because the farmers are frauds and they say it's a tender piglet but they keep the pigs until they're big and fat so they get more money and the meat isn't very good plus it's full of fat. The good pork is only from Suvlakia. The beef steak depends, somewhere it's the best meat ever, somewhere it sucks.

Hurrem sultana
06-23-2012, 11:48 AM
A swedish newspaper writing about Albania becoming more populAR

http://www.expressen.se/res/het-hetare-albanien/