PDA

View Full Version : Macedonia to be included in the South Stream pipeline project

poiuytrewq0987
06-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski on Saturday after completing his nearly week-long visit to the Russian Federation, where he met with President Vladimir Putin and visited four regions in order to present Macedonia's investment opportunities before representatives of over 230 companies, said that positive reactions about Macedonia's energy support had been expressed at the meetings, Macedonian MIA news agency reported.

"Gazprom's CEO and his associates told us they had prepared a draft-agreement on Macedonia's inclusion into the South Stream project. In July, the draft-document will be submitted to the Russian government for revision, after which it will be handed over to us for signing," PM Gruevski said.

Gazprom's plan, he added, envisages the construction of a new gas pipeline system passing through many countries to start in Russia in December 2012 and to be completed by the end of 2015.

"Initially, Macedonia was not planned to become part of the gas pipeline, but by making a lot of efforts we have managed to include Macedonia in the project. It is beneficial because it provides energy security and stability in Macedonia on the long run," Gruevski noted.

The PM said he expected a contract on the construction of an internal gas infrastructure to be signed by late September with the Russian company Stroytransgaz.

Gruevski announced the possibility of organising visits to several other regions in Russia in the future in order to promote Macedonia as a business destination.

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n281345

I think Macedonia being included in the South Stream pipeline project is probably his biggest success. South Stream pipeline was originally supposed to skip Macedonia and go south via Greece then out to the Adriatic but I suppose that will change now?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b0/Southstream.png/800px-Southstream.png

Onur
06-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Greece pulls out from this project as we all know they don't have any money for these kind of stuff and they wont have at least for the next decade.