PDA

View Full Version : The 5 languages of love: which one do you speak?

Kazimiera
06-24-2012, 01:13 PM
I came across this quite some time ago.

It goes under the premise that there are 5 languages of love, and why people often communicate past each other than with each other. If two people speak two different love languages chances are that both of them will feel somewhat disillusioned.

Here is the website with a short test (bottom left hand corner) where you can discover what your language is. http://www.5lovelanguages.com/learn-the-languages/the-five-love-languages/

Words of Affirmation
Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

Quality Time
In the vernacular of Quality Time, nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes your significant other feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful.

Receiving Gifts
Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday, anniversary, or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous—so would the absence of everyday gestures.

Acts of Service
Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter.

Physical Touch
This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive.

My main two languages are Acts of Service and Quality Time. Nothing makes me feel more loved than when my husband offers to clean the house, hang up the laundry. I also value quality time. We don't need to say anything to each other, we can just be in the same room together and that's enough for me.

I don't speak the language of Receiving Gifts or Physical Touch. I don't like getting gifts and I dislike being hugged, touched or patted. My husband likes Physical Touch and I often rub him or pat him because I know this is what makes him feel loved and valued.

Mortimer
06-24-2012, 01:19 PM
unfortunately none:(

Kazimiera
06-24-2012, 01:21 PM
unfortunately none:(

Do the test first.

jerney
06-24-2012, 01:32 PM
I haven't done the test, but I've heard of this before and I would say Words of Affirmation and Quality Time. I think they're all important though

I'll take the assessment though and see if it places me differently.

Here's what I got:

10 Words of Affirmation
9 Quality Time
2 Receiving Gifts
3 Acts of Service
6 Physical Touch

Sturmgewehr
06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
1,2 and 5

Mraz
06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
10 Words of Affirmation
8 Quality Time
1 Receiving Gifts
4 Acts of Service
7 Physical Touch

Tony
06-25-2012, 05:46 PM
http://oi49.tinypic.com/34tcoiv.jpg

Matches correctly, good test.

Barreldriver
06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I scored highest with the quality time humdinger, I did not like the questions used, they were a bit restrictive, could only choose between two answers in each question neither of which really suited me so I just chose the least worst sounding of the two.

10 fer quality time
7 fer words of affirmation
7 fer acts of service
5 fer physical touch
1 fer receiving gifts

Generally the scores don't even suit me all that well, I'm simply put too much of a piss head in practice/actions. :p

Quorra
06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Words of Affirmation

Quality Time

Acts of Service

Physical Touch